Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:20:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Gn?R and Family
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gn?R and Family  (Read 9439 times)
Zerocool2
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2007, 06:27:05 PM »

My brother had the cd's that I stole as a kid and got hooked off of but my mom and dad thought Guns N Roses were the anti-christ and used to take all my stuff...you can imagine how great it was when I got to go to my first concert a few years ago, I woke them up in the middle of the morning (they had no idea I was even at the show) and said "mom at GNR and oh yeah I just met all the guys outside the show"
GNRFan333
Opening Act

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 07:30:27 PM »

Mother- Enjoys some of their softer songs and whatnot.

Father- tries to be a hardcore fan  Cheesy I laugh at him. i went to the concert with him in december 06, and he said it was the best thing hes ever seen. Mainly blasts GNR on speakers very loudly.

Sister- Thinks im retarted for listtening to any bands that were active before i was even born...but she listens to rap and emo, so what does that tell ya?

Dog- is scarred of loud music, so it doesnt please her too much

Friends- casual GNR fans...no die hards, just people who have liked what they heard on the radio. Sure, i get the comments like "GNR is dead, A reunion will never happen...axls ego will fuck it up..." shit like that. But whatever. i dont care. we al laugh about it.

Me?- id sadly say close to die hard. Just bought AFD nd Lies on vinyl...near mint condition, and i was told that im obsessed if id spend 25 bucks on two records. but i dont care. I became a GNR fan after i heard jungle on GTA San Andreas...decided to download some more shiiit (since i obviously knew that song), and then came across many more songs i already knew, and then the great music ive never heard from UYI or lies. I was hooked. I then heard on radio about this "Chinese Democracy" thing...which was totally new and unheard of to me at the time. Did some looking-up on the internet, and sat back and read all about it. at first, i was amazed by it...and honestly thought 06 would have been the year. of course that never happened, and im past the point of concern with CD. sure, i love the leaks...but i dont wanna waste my time waiting like a lost dog for this thing. Then i came across some classic Axl rants and stage anticts...and i officially declared Axl Rose a Rock N' Roll God!
isa
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2007, 08:05:04 PM »

Mi mom n grandma likes Patience n they're used to listen everyday GN'R, My brother likes first n still, but he's not very into it, now. My little cousins boy n girl who are 6 n 2, really enjoy GN'R, spacially Axl  Grin, they love him, also I have others ones which were rebel n the only way to calm them down was putting UYI video. it's amazing the power of the band on some people.

Friends: they think I'm crazy for listtening to bands that were active before I was born, all girls, but they enjoy the balads, I brouth real RN'R into the classroom.
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2007, 10:40:23 PM »

I've made everyone in my family and all my friends and whoever else knows me listen to ALL the new stuff.  They love it, and get tired of me talking about it all the time, or anytime a music issue comes up.
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2007, 10:41:29 PM »

Thanks for sharing your story? ok I really envy those "old generation" fans like you who followed the band since the early days. It has to be a whole different experience.? Wink I?m glad your husband and children enjoy the band too and that they understand your "obsession" lol. That is really cool.? peace Btw and slightly off-topic, did you like Lisbon (my city)?
Your city was absolutely beautiful, It was the hugest experience for me as a person to go that far away from home, I was really nervous!! We stayed at the Hotel Real Parque in the heart of Lisbon, we were told, they were great to us, truly I don't know how we would have gotten by without them. ?It was a great experience, and certainly one my family and I will never forget. ?I met Jarmo and Christos and a couple others from the board at the Hardrock at the preparty show and most of all I got to see Axl whom I adore so much, he is so fascinating and his talents are endless.

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2007, 11:00:39 PM »

My mom likes GN'R, especially SCOM and November Rain. My sister and my dad dont like Axl's voice, though my dad does like some GNR songs.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2007, 12:03:25 AM »

I'm slightly drunk and I wanna answer this honestly without getting into trouble on this board, so please MODS, if you feel I'm being rude, negative or disrespectful to Guns N' Roses, please just delete this post and don't give me negative karma:

Family:

My wife truly understands my love for GNR.  I won't bore you with the details, but other then my wife and my 19 month old son, I really don't have "family" as most people would define it.

Having said that, I know that she really gets it when she sees me involved in GNR stuff.  When the Hammerstein shows were announced, I read the news to her online and before I could turn around she said "we're driving to New York aren't we?".  That might not seem like a big deal until you realize that at that moment I was out of work, we had a newborn, she had never even seen GNR live, she wasn't really a fan but she KNEW how I felt.  She'd seen me and my little brother watch bootlegs all the way through for hours and hours in the middle of the night and rewind to watch the same Axl gesture or Slash movement like NINE times. She heard stories from me and my buddy Tony about the first time we saw Robin play and we almost SHIT ourselves at how incredible he was, she knew this new band was real and just as incredible to us.

So my wife is down with my love to say the least. Not to mention the fact that she genuinely love GNR now, and not just because I do. She really loves the music and more the new songs then the old ones. She walks through the house singing The Blues or Better on a regular basis and it's awesome for me.

I could go on for a while, but I digress, that's the best I can express how my family is about GNR.

Friends:

My friends are almost 50/50 split on the subject. I have a rare breed of friends that really appreciate my love of music and love music as much as I do. Alot of them LOVE the material I've played for them and the think it's great that I've "kept the faith" and come into these new songs that most people won't know til some time in the future.
The other 50% laugh in my face. They say things like "Hey.... I might be a fan of (fill in the blank band) but at least my band RELEASES ALBUMS" and things like that.  And I have to agree with both sides.

General World:

This is where I have the hardest time. I've always been the kind of person to like the kind of music I like because I like it. I've never really cared what people thought of the artist. But most people I come into contact with seem to equate overall intelligence with me liking and believing in GNR still.
This is where I could get myself in trouble so I'll stop now.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2007, 12:04:09 AM »

I'm "old", at 45, so my parents had no clue, nor do my older brothers & sister (because they're WAY old!) ? My nieces & nephews think GnR are ok but don't like them as much as I do. ?My 21 yr old son thinks I'm insane. ?
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2007, 09:46:08 AM »

Thank you all for sharing your stories!? Cheesy

My 21 yr old son thinks I'm insane.?

lol lynn... well we all have gone through that as well.? ok

The other 50% laugh in my face. They say things like "Hey.... I might be a fan of (fill in the blank band) but at least my band RELEASES ALBUMS" and things like that. And I have to agree with both sides.

Lol I?ve heard that one so many times that I gave up on argumenting with them. I just nod you know. It?s easier! Thanks for your honest story.? Wink

My sister and my dad dont like Axl's voice.

That happens with my mum. Whenever I?m listening to Gn?R she goes: "oh there he is yelling again... make him shut up already!"? Roll Eyes

Thanks for sharing your story? ok I really envy those "old generation" fans like you who followed the band since the early days. It has to be a whole different experience.? Wink I?m glad your husband and children enjoy the band too and that they understand your "obsession" lol. That is really cool.? peace Btw and slightly off-topic, did you like Lisbon (my city)?
Your city was absolutely beautiful, It was the hugest experience for me as a person to go that far away from home, I was really nervous!! We stayed at the Hotel Real Parque in the heart of Lisbon, we were told, they were great to us, truly I don't know how we would have gotten by without them.? It was a great experience, and certainly one my family and I will never forget.? I met Jarmo and Christos and a couple others from the board at the Hardrock at the preparty show and most of all I got to see Axl whom I adore so much, he is so fascinating and his talents are endless.

I?m glad you liked Lisbon!? ok For me, it?s one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. Oh and I was at that pre-party show as well... it was really cool seeing so many fans out there.? Smiley

Friends: they think I'm crazy for listtening to bands that were active before I was born, all girls, but they enjoy the balads, I brouth real RN'R into the classroom.

Yeah... what a shame. Mine say the same thing. But you know... I wouldn?t trade any "Umbrella" shit they listen to some of the best music ever made, even if it is now 20 years old.

Father- tries to be a hardcore fan Cheesy I laugh at him. i went to the concert with him in december 06, and he said it was the best thing hes ever seen. Mainly blasts GNR on speakers very loudly.

That?s so cool you father went to the concert with you! Mine wouldn?t go even if I paid him? no? ?

my mom and dad thought Guns N Roses were the anti-christ and used to take all my stuff...

Shocked Are you serious? They would take away your stuff? Damn...

My mom, sister and dad never really knew of GNR. My sis is 21 btw. I listen to them so munch in the car, that they actually ENJOY them! And get a load of this, Ive seen GNR 4 times, VR twice and my parents both WANTED to go! and did hahaha Free shows for me Smiley beer And they know all the history, members, everything about ChiDem

haha that?s so cool they wanted to go with you! And yeah... although it might be weird for them to go with you, at least you didn?t have to pay for it!? Grin

"axls a fuckhead"...."your living in the past"........."there not guns n roses any more".........

These are the sort of comments that are spat at me by most of my friends.

To all those oppose...umm well

It?s so sad when our friends can?t respect the music we like. I mean... I?m not always picking on them for liking Shakira or whatever shit like that. Well... at least we like good music! And if it wasn?t for Guns I?d be listening to the shit my friends do for sure.? Tongue

Well... keep on sharing guys! I?m really loving this thread.  Grin

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Wasted_youth
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2007, 02:20:57 PM »

every girlfriend i have gets a constant bombardment of gunners. Most of them at the start dont know what to think, but the ones worth keeping usually say " hey this band is fucken great" after a few Rock and root sessions
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2007, 12:26:51 AM »

Ines - what I think is ironic is that I'm probably the age of your parents, and your parents aren't into it.  My son, who is closer to your age, doesn't get it either.   Doesn't matter that I'm 45 - I've always been a rock n' roll junkie.   
Alpachiris
Rocker

www.gnrla.com

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2007, 12:48:33 AM »

My mother and father likes GN'R, (Estranged , november rain, are Their favorite songs)

Many old people in Argentina like guns n roses.

The new guns only fans knows exist, for the press the band is Dissolved1

sorry for my english.. Grin

ahhh my father went to the concert with me in 1992 and 1993 buenos aires!

Ines_rocks!
VIP

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2007, 08:27:58 AM »

Ines - what I think is ironic is that I'm probably the age of your parents, and your parents aren't into it. My son, who is closer to your age, doesn't get it either. Doesn't matter that I'm 45 - I've always been a rock n' roll junkie.

Lol yeah... it has nothing to do with the age you know. My mother, who is 50, never was into rock... she liked Abba you know  hihi. As to my father, who is 57, he never really liked music anyway... I?m always picking on him saying: "damn! you lived in the led zepellin, beatles, doors, jimmi hendrix era and you didn?t even enjoy it!!". lol

ahhh my father went to the concert with me in 1992 and 1993 buenos aires!

How cool! That must have been a hell of an experience!  Wink

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
November_Rain
Loyal to death
VIP

The bittersweet honey of your eyes...

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2007, 01:44:19 PM »

No one around me likes GNR so I have nobody to share my love for this band with. And last year when I decided I was going alone to see them in Madrid all my friends and family thought I was crazy and then, a few months later they played in my town and people were like " you?re gonna see them AGAIN? ". As if two times were enough Tongue

Nobody will ever love you the way I do...
sexkitten
On the Nightrain
VIP

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2007, 04:14:44 PM »

My older sister and I always wanted to go on a double date with Gilby & Axl (of course, she with Gilby and me with Axl)! She will get me GNR memorabilia for xmas or b-day presents, but she's not a huge fan like I am. 

My younger sister doesn't really like them, but definitely supports my love of the band...for xmas last year she gave me 6 bottles of Nightrain and put one in my stocking!

My dad is an old hippie who loves the beatles, the dead, dylan, zepplin, etc. So my love of music came from him...he'll watch videos with me, and appreciates them.

My friends don't get it at all and think I'm crazy! I actually went to the first Hammerstein show by myself because none of my lame-ass friends would go! The best thing is I ended up meeting some of you at the 8 other shows I went to last year and had a blast! I made some true friends here who all share the same passion for our favorite band...and that rocks so hard!!!  peace
Ines_rocks!
VIP

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2007, 04:27:01 PM »

My friends don't get it at all and think I'm crazy! I actually went to the first Hammerstein show by myself because none of my lame-ass friends would go!

I soo understand you. It sucks!  no But yeah... at least u met a lot of cool people there!  Wink

And last year when I decided I was going alone to see them in Madrid all my friends and family thought I was crazy and then, a few months later they played in my town and people were like " you?re gonna see them AGAIN? ". As if two times were enough Tongue

You went to Madrid all by yourself? God you got some courage in there!  peace I don?t think I could do it.

bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2007, 07:42:33 PM »

My Dad - 60 at the time - flew to NYC last year to catch the 5/12 Hammerstein show with me.?

What did he think of that bloody outstanding gig? Grin

He wasn't all that impressed with Bullet for My Valentine, but he loved it when GnR hit the stage.  He'd forgotten to pick up ear plugs, so we're on the floor - right beside a fairly intense mosh pit - and I turn around to see that he stuffed pieces of napkins in his ears.  It was a blast walking back through Times Square after the show, although for as much fun as I made of him for the whole napkin-earplug bit, I couldn't hear a damn thing he was saying.  That show was definitely one of the cooler moments I've shared with my dad, you know?
sexkitten
On the Nightrain
VIP

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2007, 08:21:04 PM »

My Dad - 60 at the time - flew to NYC last year to catch the 5/12 Hammerstein show with me.?

He wasn't all that impressed with Bullet for My Valentine, but he loved it when GnR hit the stage.? He'd forgotten to pick up ear plugs, so we're on the floor - right beside a fairly intense mosh pit - and I turn around to see that he stuffed pieces of napkins in his ears.? It was a blast walking back through Times Square after the show, although for as much fun as I made of him for the whole napkin-earplug bit, I couldn't hear a damn thing he was saying.? That show was definitely one of the cooler moments I've shared with my dad, you know?

That's so awesome!  peace Bazgnr's dad rocks!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2007, 09:14:50 PM »

When I first really got into GNR, back when the UYI albums came out.  I used to blare those CD's from my room and whenever "Get In The Ring" came on my mom would ask me what I was listening to and if it was really appropriate (I was in middle school).  I'd quickly play her "November Rain" though, she loved that song.  Thought it was beautiful.  She, and my dad, were public school music teachers, so they could appreciate good music.  Not fans of the vulgarities though.

My sister actually liked GNR way before I did, back when Appetite came out.  And since I thought it was uncool to like what your older sister liked at that time, I resorted to hating GNR back then.  That didn't last long though.  Years later while at college she went to a hypnotist and he got her to do something crazy whenever "Welcome to the Jungle" played.  She's afraid to listen to that song till today because of that.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2007, 12:11:53 AM »

He wasn't all that impressed with Bullet for My Valentine, but he loved it when GnR hit the stage.? He'd forgotten to pick up ear plugs, so we're on the floor - right beside a fairly intense mosh pit - and I turn around to see that he stuffed pieces of napkins in his ears.? It was a blast walking back through Times Square after the show, although for as much fun as I made of him for the whole napkin-earplug bit, I couldn't hear a damn thing he was saying.? That show was definitely one of the cooler moments I've shared with my dad, you know?

I went with my Dad too Bazgnr Smiley

Truly a night neither of us will ever forget beer
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 12:21:18 AM by Stoned » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: