Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:21:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Gn?R and Family
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gn?R and Family  (Read 9440 times)
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« on: October 12, 2007, 10:42:43 AM »

I decided to start this thread cos I really believe this can turn into something really funny and interesting. I did the search and found no threads similar to this one so I hope this is the first one of its kind.

Well, one of the reasons that made me join a Guns board was cos there I?d find people who I could identify with. People who wouldn?t find my passion for the band a weird thing or whatsoever. Something I really can?t find in my family. So I thought it would be funny to share our family stories about Gn?R and how they cope with us being fans (or obsessed as many say).

Here?s my story:

-My mother thinks I?m crazy. Whenever she sees me watching some Gn?R video she always asks me "Haven?t you seen it like 1000 times already?" and I?m like "But I haven?t seen this one yet. This one is different. Can?t you see it?s another concert?" and she goes "No. It?s exactly the same thing to me. Don?t you have anything else to do?". She also can?t stand whenever I buy some music magazine cos Guns are featured there. She thinks it?s way too expensive. But things aren?t that bad anyway... she has grown used to me being a fan now.? She even likes some songs. And although she can?t understand me, at least we don?t fight everyday because of it.? ok

-My dad didn?t even know who Guns were before I was a fan. Now whenever he hears the name of the band or whenever some music video is on TV he calls me to see it? Smiley He knows who Axl and Slash are, but besides that he knows nothing about Gn?R. When I appeared on national television with a red bandana and a Guns shirt, dancing and singing Novemver Rain he was like: what the fuck are you doing there? lol? Roll Eyes

-My brother likes Gn?R. He was the one who made me discover them so I can only be thankful to him. In 1992, he bought the UYI I cassete and listened to it all the time. Although I was a little girl back then, I would watch Guns concerts on TV with him. I remember we watched the Freddy Mercury tribute show on TV? Smiley He can?t stand the current band, doesn?t even give it a chance. Especially after they cancelled RiR 2004 to which he already had tickets to go. Last year, when I heard Guns were going to RiR I immediately bought tickets. My brother, till the day of the gig, said he wouldn?t go. I was to go on my own. However, on the day of the show, he decided to go so I didn?t go alone... and we sure had a really good time!? Cheesy I give him all the Gn?R news... he likes to keep up with the band, although he ain?t a fan.

-None of my real friends really like the band. They know I?m a fan.... but we don?t talk much about it lol. I tried to bring some friends to the RiR gig but none of them wanted to go cos most of them didn?t have a clue about the band or its music. They don?t like rock bands... they?re much more into reaggeaton or some shit like that... oh well, but that?s another story lol.

-My grandparents don?t have the slightest clue. Don?t know I?m a fan... let alone know the band.

-The rest of my family has some idea about me being a fan, and some even joke with me about it or ask me stuff about Gn?R. I don?t mind answering at all... but sometimes I feel like they think I?m crazy or whatever. I don?t care anyway.? ok

Well that was my story. Hope you liked it lol. Now it?s your turn to share yours!!? peace

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »

my family is so used to it an friends.i went to a very expensive resterant last night.for my sisters birthday.and her friend played a cd with.''i used to love her'' playing on the ride there.i think they have excepted it.when i found out about my tickets at the door.for the hammersteins show in ny,my tickets were at the door waiting (thanks beta ).finnnally my family didn't think the internet was crazy.i drive them crazy  on it all the time.but they were happy i finnally got some thing good from guns n roses web sites.so i guess they know now im not joking around and lyin.for kicks.it proved everyone who doubted my g n' r web sites.

the one an only horsey !
mustaine
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 01:29:40 PM »

My mother likes GN'R (and actually she likes bands like Metallica and even some Pantera and other heavy bands that I listen to)... Estranged is one of her favorite songs. She also likes the new songs.

My father doesn't listen to GN'R and knows nothing about the band.

Two of my best friends are huge GN'R fans like myself, another friend of mine is a fan but doesn't think about anything but the music. Apart from that, it varies. Some of my friends like GN'R and others don't enjoy them that much, although I don't think I know anybody that really hates GN'R.
.Seal
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 02:06:11 PM »

-None of my real friends really like the band. They know I?m a fan.... but we don?t talk much about it lol. I tried to bring some friends to the RiR gig but none of them wanted to go cos most of them didn?t have a clue about the band or its music. They don?t like rock bands... they?re much more into reaggeaton or some shit like that... oh well, but that?s another story lol
Sounds familiar  hihi My friends, that live in the same city, like some rap, rnb or something like that so I simply don't talk about GN'R that much to them  and when I do they are probably bit annoyed Tongue

Well my mom thinks Im a bit of dumb ass, or something rofl, with the tattoo and all the money Ive spent on all the GN'R stuff.

As for my dad he doesn't mind so much since he was a fan of a kind back in the day and from him I "inherited" (he is still alive  hihi ) Illusions. He also came to see GN'R last summer for the 2nd gig in Finland.

My brother probably hates them or something but then again he listens to shit music anyway..

But anyone who visits my room will probably get the idea:

ok
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 02:11:39 PM by .Seal » Logged

050706, GN'R in Helsinki, Finland.
060706, GN'R in Helsinki, Finland.
050610, GN'R in Helsinki, Finland.
180816, GN'R in LA, CA.
190816, GN'R in LA, CA.
Ines_rocks!
VIP

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 02:26:59 PM »

Thanks for sharing Seal and horsey!? peace

Btw Seal I envy your wall! So fucking cool all those posters! I only got three: the AFD one, the Guns logo and some really great pic of Axl.? ok

The really cool think about this is seeing that other ppl got through the same thing lol like our mothers thinking we?re nuts.? rofl But yeah... it sucks that most our friends don?t like the same type of music... I can never talk about music with them.? no

Well... keep on sharing guys!? ok

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 02:32:41 PM »

My mother : Likes Axl's voice, she likes most songs and finds him very attractive, even said once " wouldn't mind you dating someone like him " but mum has a deep attraction for Matt Sorum. Funnily enough, mum thinks like i do about OMG, we both think it has hit potential.

My father : Well, he loved Abba and BB Streisand, so....

My brother : Got me into GNR, now thinks they are a bit dated but still enjoys old songs

My uncle : Got my brother into GNR and still likes them and i think he knows one of them but never really asked. He loves anything rock and roll.

My cousin on my dad's side : errm, can't say why, too private, but she laughs them off a lot, although she doesn't spit on NR.

Friends : well, i was at drama school few years back and since the world is small, some people knew them ( slash dated someone's sister, a model friend there met them all but axl in Ibiza, ect ect). They like the songs. I am usually with people who have similar tastes.

Exes : Not one of them liked GNR, one was into rap, the other into techno, the last into europe ( yeah, you read, the long haired barbies from sweden lol)

Nothing to say
Ines_rocks!
VIP

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 02:41:13 PM »

the last into europe ( yeah, you read, the long haired barbies from sweden lol)

haha that was funny! "It?s the final countdown!!" Lol when I was a kid I thought the frontman of that band was a woman... can?t say I?m to blame.? hihi

So cool we both had brothers who got us into Gn?R.? Cheesy? As to your mother finding Axl atractive... well she?s got taste! Look at my mum... she?s always asking if Axl is gay... I?m sure it?s just to piss me off no lol? ? Anyway, thanks for sharing your story!? peace

troccoli
VIP

Please allow me to introduce myself

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 02:57:39 PM »

Interesting topic.? Let's see.? Well, I know that my whole immediate family (mom, dad, bro, sis) understnads that I am a Guns fan, at least music-wise.? No one else has a clue except for maybe two of my cousins who got me into GNR when I was a kid (Appetite was the first album I ever bought, and on tape no less).  I'm sure they think they are dated now.  I would guess that my mom, dad and sister think that I am slightly obsessed when I flew across the country to see all 4 shows at the Hammerstein (I am from NY).? I also have a close friend on Long Island who's a huge fan, so that worked out.? Then I told my parents about the people who have traveled across the world to see those shows and that gave them some perspective.? Had an extra ticket to the last show and realize now that I should have asked my dad.? He listens to classic rock radio (which now plays Guns stuff, at least in the US anyway).? My friends know I like them and a few know about the trip to NY.  I try to get peopel to listen to the new songs and to the ones that either never made it to the radio or are played rarely: Rocket Queen, Don't Damn Me, Coma, Locomotive, Civil War, etc.  I don't think that anyone in my family or my friends (except for that one) know the utter devotion though, meaning the $$$ I've spent on collecting:

http://www.troccolitm.com

When they find that out they will think I am insane!!!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 03:03:24 PM by troccoli » Logged

All I need is some clarity and someone to tell me WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!!!! GOD DAMN IT!!!!
Ines_rocks!
VIP

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 03:03:43 PM »

You got all that?? Shocked God! I worship you now!? hihi So many and rare stuff! Where did you get all that? lol your parents don?t know about that?? hihi
Thanks for sharing.? ok

troccoli
VIP

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 03:24:42 PM »

You got all that?? Shocked God! I worship you now!? hihi So many and rare stuff! Where did you get all that? lol your parents don?t know about that?? hihi
Thanks for sharing.? ok

Where did I get it?  Oh, you know, here and there.  Just kidding - mostly from the internet but a few choice items I have picked up at record stores.  Once, in Boston, on the SAME day, at two different record stores, I picked up Live Like A Suicide tapes for $1 each!

All I need is some clarity and someone to tell me WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!!!! GOD DAMN IT!!!!
Ines_rocks!
VIP

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 03:30:56 PM »

Thanks for sharing.? ok

Where did I get it?? Oh, you know, here and there.? Just kidding - mostly from the internet but a few choice items I have picked up at record stores.? Once, in Boston, on the SAME day, at two different record stores, I picked up Live Like A Suicide tapes for $1 each!

For $1?? Damn... you?re lucky! But yeah... you really have some great collecting items there. One day you?ll make tons of money by selling them! Btw... how much have you spent with all that aproximately? Yeah... I?m fucking curious lol.

troccoli
VIP

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 03:46:01 PM »

Where did I get it?? Oh, you know, here and there.? Just kidding - mostly from the internet but a few choice items I have picked up at record stores.? Once, in Boston, on the SAME day, at two different record stores, I picked up Live Like A Suicide tapes for $1 each!

For $1?? Damn... you?re lucky! But yeah... you really have some great collecting items there. One day you?ll make tons of money by selling them! Btw... how much have you spent with all that aproximately? Yeah... I?m fucking curious lol.

Funny, 'cause I've been thinking about that lately.  Another user on this forum told me it's probably worth upwards of $20,000.  I don't know.  I do know that I have spent at least $10,000.  Over the course of many years.  I should find out how much it's worth though because it's probably a smart idea to insure it.  But I'm not positive if I can determine a value myslef (for the insurance company) or if I have to have an independent person/agency do it.  We'll see.  beer

bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 04:08:51 PM »

My Dad - 60 at the time - flew to NYC last year to catch the 5/12 Hammerstein show with me.  Also came with me to two shows during the Illusion tour back in the day...
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 04:14:10 PM »

My Dad - 60 at the time - flew to NYC last year to catch the 5/12 Hammerstein show with me.?

What did he think of that bloody outstanding gig? Grin

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
LordRazZ
VIP

I haven't updated this section in years. Tada.

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 04:29:39 PM »

oh goodie. Just what I came to htgth.com for.

I was just DYING to know what the fuck your family thinks of GnR, and you as a fan.

When my son is born, and I play WTTJ and he smiles, will that make the GnR new section as well?

Christ.

The last time I edited my signature, I still had ICQ.  That's crazy.
Ines_rocks!
VIP

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 05:09:50 PM »

oh goodie. Just what I came to htgth.com for.

I was just DYING to know what the fuck your family thinks of GnR, and you as a fan.

When my son is born, and I play WTTJ and he smiles, will that make the GnR new section as well?

Christ.

Ohh... the "great thread killer"!!? ?nervous You came to kill my thread? Damn...? no It?s ok if you don?t like or get the point of the thread though... can?t blame you for that. But if you don?t wanna add anything worthy in it don?t post.? ok

Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 05:10:39 PM »

I am one of the older generation fans so I have been with Gun's since the beginning, and like Duff I am from Seattle or the outskirts of, saw close to all of the shows in the area back in the day, and still remain true to them today. ?Have also traveled across the country to see them at RIR 06 in Lisbon with my husband and two girls who were at the time 15 and 16 what a treat huh!!!! Saw them in LasVegas last September and again in my hometown of Everett I think in January, so I have definately brought my children up properly and my husband enjoys them as well. ?As far as my parents go and the rest of my family they are all used to my daily obsession with them, my tattoos and memerobilia, scrapbooks and so on. ?Have my own personal footage from all the shows I attended last year. ?I guess like the rest of you I don't share this obsession with many of my friends either, I think they all gave up long ago. ?Oh Ya and my first time I ever noticed the band was on MTV, Axl was singing SCOM, and I was forever hooked!!!!

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
Ines_rocks!
VIP

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 05:19:36 PM »

Thanks for sharing your story  ok I really envy those "old generation" fans like you who followed the band since the early days. It has to be a whole different experience.  Wink I?m glad your husband and children enjoy the band too and that they understand your "obsession" lol. That is really cool.  peace Btw and slightly off-topic, did you like Lisbon (my city)?

The Hinge
Headliner

Here Today...and every bloody day

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 05:51:24 PM »

"axls a fuckhead"...."your living in the past"........."there not guns n roses any more".........

These are the sort of comments that are spat at me by most of my friends.

To all those oppose...umm well

'Most organized religions make a mockery of humanity'
Gonzo Axl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 06:07:09 PM »

My mom, sister and dad never really knew of GNR. My sis is 21 btw. I listen to them so munch in the car, that they actually ENJOY them! And get a load of this, Ive seen GNR 4 times, VR twice and my parents both WANTED to go! and did hahaha Free shows for me Smiley  beer  And they know all the history, members, everything about ChiDem
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: