Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 05:41:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Broken glass and cigarettes...what does that mean to you?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Broken glass and cigarettes...what does that mean to you?  (Read 4510 times)
rockNroses
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 11:53:54 AM »

ok.. you can call me everything you want but... what does the title has to do with the post?? Huh

Ok then I call you intelligent for asking that question.

The line refers in the song to an aftermath but wich is just the calm before a storm of clearness and enlightenment that goes on later in the song muscially. Wich is what the fans experience too. The calm is the waiting. If you manage to get past your frustration and dissapointment and transform that energy into something positive then you are in for something more inspiring wich I hope this thread can help to get there.
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 01:20:27 PM »

I agree RocknRoses the music is where its at, unfortunately there hasn't been much over the last 14yrs and thats whats extemely frustrating. And yes I've been to see the new band numerous times. Unfortunately now I'm quite disappointed with the whole thing, but I keep coming back just in the faint hope of an announcement or release date.

Release some new music and we're all happy. And yes I'd prefer to have an album over unofficial leaks or having to wait until the next time they tour or listening to Axl guest spot on Seb's album. But thats just my opinion though.  ok

As for broken glass and cigarettes? I don't read much into lyrics (I prefer listening to the instruments) but its a cool line. Not sure about the funny bit at the start though

Here today...ready to rock
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 03:10:38 PM »

ok.. you can call me everything you want but... what does the title has to do with the post?? Huh

Ok then I call you intelligent for asking that question.

The line refers in the song to an aftermath but wich is just the calm before a storm of clearness and enlightenment that goes on later in the song muscially. Wich is what the fans experience too. The calm is the waiting. If you manage to get past your frustration and dissapointment and transform that energy into something positive then you are in for something more inspiring wich I hope this thread can help to get there.

Grin You look like a Philosophy teacher I once had. You got a gift with words  Wink

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Axl Z
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 04:26:01 PM »

broken glass and cigarettes?
Night on the piss ain't it!!

2002 - Docklands Arena, London
2006 - Hammersmith Apollo, London
2006 - Wembley Arena, London
2010 - O2 Arena, London
2017 - Olympic Park, London
Kaleigh
Headliner

Fucking Off In G

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2007, 03:41:42 AM »

The only thing worth criticising about GN?R is the setlist. They should finally use their full potential with playing more original (= new) stuff. That is progression too. But I don?t understand why so many prefer a music video on MTV and a physical CD over the personal real life experience of seing the band in concert. Please explain.

Yeah man, I don't get it either.  My mom and I have had this conversation a million times, and we agreed that if faced with the choice of CD coming out faster or more tours, we'd like more tours.  There's really nothing else like seeing the boys live. 

You should not stab the band in the back with all the negative energy. Take them as they are as they never asked you to change either. Support them as you like or turn your back. They never asked you to kiss their asses. Just don?t use your energy to complain all the time. They do not deserve this. And you do not deserve this either. May I say?use your illusion? If you can. If you understand. I hope so. In other words: ?It don?t really matter.? But you have to ?find out for yourselves?. It?s right there in front of you, happening for years, happening as you read this. You are a part of it. All you have to do is lift the curtain. Why don?t you lift the curtain?

AMEN.  I haven't been around the fanbase as much lately, but it's one of the reasons I turned away for a bit, the negative energy is way too overwhelming for a band we all love. 

For example: When it goes ?wrong time? in TWAT, the guitars play the ?wrong? thing ? a dissonant powerchord contrasting the beautiful harmonies with strings and all and just perfectly fitting with the lyrics at that part of the song.

In Better, after the aggressive middle part about all the negativity, the last part of the song with Robin?s solo lends onto beauty and relief, onto being sorry without regret, but rather having learned a lesson, becoming more complete, it?s very light and ?lifted?, as if a weight was taken off the shoulders, making the song a great carthasis piece.

I viewed both of these examples the exact same way.  TWAT was awesome for me because there's sometimes a point in life where even knowing what you know now - it won't change that person from your past because knowing them it won't change a damn thing.   Smiley I've always loved Axl's way of putting things.

San Francisco, CA 9/21/06
Universal City, CA 12/17/06
Mountain View, CA 10/20/12
Las Vegas, NV 11/24/12
San Francisco, CA 8/9/2016
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2007, 06:33:30 PM »

Did they erase the VELVET REVOLVER threads?

damn

and Broken glass and cigarrettes I guess it doesnt mean something beyond that...
unless you wanna interpret every single line he sings...
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2007, 07:57:33 PM »

rockNroses, this is one of the best posts I've read on this board. I couldn't find one thing that I disagree with ... which is unusual.
 The song to me is a metaphor for a love/hate relationship, that should have ended before it did, and the chaos that ensued when the break finally occured.

@ .Carlos M.s., the VR threads are still here ... look.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
vanilie
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2007, 05:42:55 PM »

First of all, I apologize for my bad english, it is not my first language.
read my post and you'll see what is bad english? Grin

Too many ?fans? are talking about promotion and business related stuff more than they talk about the music, the lyrics. The stuff that really counts at the end of the day.
I agree

The result is great music (Catcher, TWAT, Better?) and probably the best rock concerts you can attend on planet earth at this time.
I agree

But I don?t understand why so many prefer a music video on MTV and a physical CD over the personal real life experience of seing the band in concert. Please explain.
ok...just listen to madagascar live and the leak, especially the solo, which is inaudible live !
Like you said, The stuff that really counts at the end of the day is the lyrics and the music, and only on a physical CD you can hear each instrument perfectly and whenever you want...that is not the case with a concert, is it ??

Fans that do nothing but complain about not having a physical CD when in reality they can get music for free and see Axl and the band IN PERSON, playing music live PERSONALLY FOR YOU, those people are idiots
that's a joke ... when they play live in front of 15,000 people, do you really think that every single person can see axl and the band IN PERSON Huh Shocked

To me, they are about personal freedom, knowledge and growing up spiritually
I agree, and the lyrics that most illustrate this is "I'm freed of all the chains" from Madagascar.

About the song "the blues", two things I don't understand:
first, I wonder why the music is joyful whereas the lyrics are sad.
second: axl says "I don't know just what I should do, everywhere I go I see you", then he says "what I thought was beautiful don't live inside of you anymore" , it is a little bit contradictory , isn't it ?

nice post rockNroses !
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 05:45:08 PM by vanilie » Logged
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2007, 06:55:47 PM »

I think he's just setting the the tone with those lines. Damn, I love that song! ok

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
rockNroses
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2007, 06:26:20 PM »

But I don?t understand why so many prefer a music video on MTV and a physical CD over the personal real life experience of seing the band in concert. Please explain.

ok...just listen to madagascar live and the leak, especially the solo, which is inaudible live !
Like you said, The stuff that really counts at the end of the day is the lyrics and the music, and only on a physical CD you can hear each instrument perfectly and whenever you want...that is not the case with a concert, is it ??

On the studio demo of Madagadcar the solo is in the background too, maybe that is intended? I don't know, but some bootlegs that have the solo up front have the quotes in the background, it's mostly either one thing or the other. I think it could be a mixing problem or they are just trying to see what works best for the song. Looks like the quotes are more important in this song as they were up front in the mix on most shows so far. If you can hear each instrument that depends...if you want pure sound there is nothing to live sound. But as for home a decent soundboard recording can keep up with an official live CD. For me the only thing wrong with their live sound is that it is just not loud enough.

Fans that do nothing but complain about not having a physical CD when in reality they can get music for free and see Axl and the band IN PERSON, playing music live PERSONALLY FOR YOU, those people are idiots
that's a joke ... when they play live in front of 15,000 people, do you really think that every single person can see axl and the band IN PERSON Huh Shocked

If you want, of course. Sometimes it depends on the venue but if you want to get close to the stage, that should not be a problem. You might need to come early, bring some patience and nerves and you might have to say some "sorry" or "excuse me" here and there but it was not a problem for me. Some time ago, I was at a Rolling Stones concert with 100.000+ people now that was something else. It makes you kinda grateful when you attend a show with 15.000 audience.

"what I thought was beautiful don't live inside of you anymore" , it is a little bit contradictory , isn't it ?

I thought the same, but it makes sense for me this way:

"What I thought was beautiful..." = maybe the key is "thought", like he only THOUGHT it was beautiful , "...don't live inside of you anymore" = the illusion is gone. Or, if he only "thought" it was beautiful, whatever wasn't beautiful is gone. But I agree, it is contradictory, you can look at the song from different sides and still it would make sense, like a song in a song. Or just great lyrics.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: