Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 01:45:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Motley Crue vs. Nine Inch Nails
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Motley Crue vs. Nine Inch Nails  (Read 9644 times)
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2007, 11:38:25 PM »

The Crue for me headbanger

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2007, 11:49:34 PM »

Crue

Fuck 'Em All.
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 02:39:40 AM »

live performance - NIN, as close to a perfect live show as you will ever see.
depends on what you would expect from that said live show.

composition skills - NIN, breaks the standard structure of songs which most bands use and it works
better technique doesn't mean better music. if it was all about skills buckethead should sell millions of records every year

creativity - NIN, year zero promotion enough said
so you judge the music by the way they are promoted?

musical talent - NIN - josh > tommy lee,  aaron > mick, jeordie > sixx, and well i've seen many a crue fan admit that vince can't sing live, and trent well he can.
how can you say how much talent someone has? can you measure talent?
lyrics - NIN - hurt covered by cash, that kind of thing just would not happen with motley crue.
so, if a bigger artist covers your song that makes you great?

i'm not picking any sides but i'd prefer the crue just because of the feel good rock and roll songs. maybe it's because of today's kids that like emo and shit. music doesn't have to be sad, it can be happy and should bring joy to the listener.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2007, 02:54:36 AM »

Apple meet orange.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2007, 07:28:05 AM »

composition skills - NIN, breaks the standard structure of songs which most bands use and it works

musical talent - NIN - josh > tommy lee,  aaron > mick, jeordie > sixx, and well i've seen many a crue fan admit that vince can't sing live, and trent well he can.

lyrics - NIN - hurt covered by cash, that kind of thing just would not happen with motley crue.

quite easy to compare some aspects. and like i said, trent is on a whole different level to motley crue, they couldn't come close to what he does, where as without a doubt if trent wanted to, he could create a motley crue style record.

i take motley crue for what they are, a generic 80's scene band. where as NIN are a band which push boundaries and are constantly evolving.

i remember not long ago you informing me over msn how you hate the "hair metal" movement and believe it the lowest form of music, so naturally your gonna dig the NIN.

html sucks
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2007, 07:29:17 AM »

I don't know, I could have pictured the Man in Black busting out Girls, Girls, Girls.

Anyway, what happened to the 'Bon Jovi VS...' threads?

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2007, 07:47:15 AM »

Morphed into "Hilary Clinton"

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2007, 11:25:21 AM »

nin...
for sure..

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
gnrlies247
Rocker

Axl- you fuckin' rock!

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2007, 12:36:45 PM »

Crue FTW!, i've only ever heard 2 NIN songs and i  thought they sucked.
makane
Legend

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2007, 01:22:16 PM »

Crue FTW!, i've only ever heard 2 NIN songs and i? thought they sucked.
I heard a 5 second clip and I think they suck!
Greatest thread...

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
gnrlies247
Rocker

Axl- you fuckin' rock!

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2007, 05:57:12 PM »

Crue FTW!, i've only ever heard 2 NIN songs and i  thought they sucked.
I heard a 5 second clip and I think they suck!
Greatest thread...

Yeah, they're not my kind of music at all
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2007, 08:00:26 AM »

Crue 

It is an odd comparison, like comparing Metallica to the Beatles.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2007, 04:13:51 PM »

Tool pretty much crucify both bands beer

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2007, 04:31:34 PM »

well there was no need for you to pop this comment in.

but since you have, i must say i find it laughable.

tool are one of the most boring bands ive ever listened to, and thats out of all honesty.

html sucks
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2007, 06:17:29 PM »

i remember not long ago you informing me over msn how you hate the "hair metal" movement and believe it the lowest form of music, so naturally your gonna dig the NIN.

i don't remember saying it was the lowest form of music, but i do think the vast majority of it is generic shit.

-----------------------------------

if you see NIN in a venue where they can use their full stage set up you would see what i mean. pink floyd took live shows to a new level, it goes beyond just having the music, NIN have expanded on this.

better technique doesn't mean better music. if it was all about skills buckethead should sell millions of records every year
i didn't use the word technique at all, i said compositional skills, motley crue could not write in the manner which trent does, where as trent could easily do what motley crue does.

no mention of the music when i said creativity, you're trying to put words into my mouth again, but fuck motley crue is basic generic 80's hair metal, NIN music isn't generic at all, and has no set formula, so would have to be considered more creative.

sixx can't play bass, jeordie can. there you go measured.
josh over tommy, both are damn good drummers, but josh has far more to him and can play in multiple styles.
mick and aaron are both damn good guitarists, however mick's illness means his playing suffers.
vince can't sing, trent can.

thats how i measure it.

no it means you're capable of writing great lyrics.

big artists will cover great well written songs, they won't cover average shit.

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2007, 06:28:59 PM »

Tool are nothing but an overrated early emo band from the 90's. 

P.S alan, shut the fuck up, you know nothing about what makes a good bass player.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2007, 09:20:38 PM »

Tool are incredible, but u either "get" them or u dont. its take time to fully understand and appreciate them....took me forever to get into them too but once i did i can say it was definitely worth the effort.

Motley Crue are a decent band with some catchy songs but Tool always have awesome concepts and intereting song structures. same with Nine Inch Nails.

if u want fun party music, Motley Crue are the band for u.

if u want thought provoking intricate concept albums and deep songs, Tool and NIN are the bands for u.

and to the person who said tool are an "emo" band, put down the crack pipe...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 09:25:17 PM by GnFnR87 » Logged

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2007, 02:31:49 AM »

Tool are incredible, but u either "get" them or u dont. its take time to fully understand and appreciate them....took me forever to get into them too but once i did i can say it was definitely worth the effort.

Motley Crue are a decent band with some catchy songs but Tool always have awesome concepts and intereting song structures. same with Nine Inch Nails.

if u want thought provoking intricate concept albums and deep songs, Tool and NIN are the bands for u.

I was reading about Tool in Metal Edge and Hit Parader way back in the early 90's when you were still on the tit, and yes they are one of the first emo/industrial bands with above average musicial ability. If I want thought provoking I'll read a book. Tongue
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 02:35:32 AM by Gunner80 » Logged

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2007, 03:21:23 AM »

i don't remember saying it was the lowest form of music, but i do think the vast majority of it is generic shit.
after this comment i understand your position and i wouldn't reply to the rest of your answers but i'm gonna give it a shot.

if you see NIN in a venue where they can use their full stage set up you would see what i mean. pink floyd took live shows to a new level, it goes beyond just having the music, NIN have expanded on this.
when i said depends on what you expect i meant, if you go to motley crue and expect to see them do a nin type show then, sorry, you're not gonna see that. if you're gonna go expecting a hair band show, that's what you're gonna get. it's all a matter of taste. i like the 80's metal style shows with dancing and jumping and bla bla bla... but that's me, and that's a perfect show to me. to you, probably a perfect show is a nin show.

i didn't use the word technique at all, i said compositional skills, motley crue could not write in the manner which trent does, where as trent could easily do what motley crue does.
compositional skills=technique in writing music, or maybe i got that wrong? and i doubt trent could write a hair metal album. but that we'll never know.

no mention of the music when i said creativity, you're trying to put words into my mouth again, but fuck motley crue is basic generic 80's hair metal, NIN music isn't generic at all, and has no set formula, so would have to be considered more creative.
maybe i went too far with music=creativity, sorry 'bout that. but if you have different styles from album to album doesn't necessarily mean you're more creative. a lot of bands change their style and lose some of their fans because of that. check metallica for an example. did st. anger mean a change of style, hell yeah. do i think it sucks, yep! is metallica creative, maybe but that doesn't really mean it's good quality.

sixx can't play bass, jeordie can. there you go measured.
josh over tommy, both are damn good drummers, but josh has far more to him and can play in multiple styles.
mick and aaron are both damn good guitarists, however mick's illness means his playing suffers.
vince can't sing, trent can.

thats how i measure it.
talent doesn't have to be measured by how good can you play an instrument. have you heard the saying "practice makes it perfect"? there's a lot of talentless fuckheads that can play complicated stuff just because of practice, does that mean they have talent? and just because josh can play multiple styles, doesn't mean tommy can't. he's been a drummer for so many years, you think if he wants to learn a different thing on the drums he can't?

no it means you're capable of writing great lyrics.
big artists will cover great well written songs, they won't cover average shit.
but they can cover average shit and turn it into something great. there's a lot of covers i know that i think the originals suck ass. and there are covers that suck ass and originals are great (sheryl crow - pretty big artist imo - sweet child. her version sucks).
if a big artist covers your song doesn't mean he is some sort of authority when it comes to lyrics. i'm a guns n' roses fan, doesn't mean that i have to listen to the beatles or bob dylan because hey, they covered songs by these artists.

anyway, i don't even know why i'm defending the crue, i'm not even a big fan hihi

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2007, 10:45:54 AM »

I was reading about Tool in Metal Edge and Hit Parader way back in the early 90's when you were still on the tit, and yes they are one of the first emo/industrial bands with above average musicial ability.

Tool are not emo or industrial.

Richard Nixon is perhaps the furthest thing from a Tool fan, but I'm sure even he would agree on that one hihi

How about you actually listen to the music and formulate your own opinion, instead of regurgitate what Hit Parader told you 15+ years ago?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 10:48:45 AM by Stoned » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: