Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 03:45:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228137 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  SLASH To Take Part In ROCK 'N' ROLL FANTASY CAMP
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: SLASH To Take Part In ROCK 'N' ROLL FANTASY CAMP  (Read 9719 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: September 13, 2007, 09:08:30 AM »

SLASH, VINCE NEIL, NICKO MCBRAIN To Take Part In ROCK 'N' ROLL FANTASY CAMP Celebration - Sep. 13, 2007

Slash (VELVET REVOLVER, ex-GUNS N' ROSES), Vince Neil (M?TLEY CR?E) and Nicko McBrain (IRON MAIDEN) are among the musicians that will take part in the upcoming Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy Camp's 10th anniversary celebration, which will take place November 7-11 at the Mandalay Bay Hotel and House of Blues in las Vegas, Nevada. The camp will run from Wednesday at 5:00 p.m. to Sunday at midnight over Veteran's Day weekend. Enrollment has already started off with a bang with campers from all over the world, including the U.S., Ireland, U.K., and South America, having already signed up.

For more information, go to this location: http://www.rockandrollfantasycamp.com/website_/index.html

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
isa
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 07:12:41 PM »

Slash n Vince Neil? Huh
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 09:08:35 PM »

Daltrey joins fantasy rock camp

Rock stars including Roger Daltrey of The Who and The Eagles' Joe Walsh will headline the 10th Rock'n'Roll Fantasy Camp in Las Vegas in November.

The camps give music fans the chance to jam and record with their rock heroes.

"Rock'n'Roll Fantasy Camp reminds me of what it used to be like when we first started, when we were rough and ready... it's fantastic," said Daltrey.

The five-day event culminates in a live concert where music lovers join the rock stars on stage.

Other musicians taking part include Slash, formerly of Guns N'Roses and now of Velvet Revolver, Motley Crue's Vince Neil, Jack Bruce from Cream and Nicko McBrain from Iron Maiden.

Simpsons show

It costs $9,499 (?4,731) to attend the five-day event, titled the Ultimate Rock Star Experience Veteran's Day Weekend.

Fans will be able to download original songs recorded at the camp via iTunes.

The camp once featured in a Simpsons episode where the character Homer jammed with Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Tom Petty and Elvis Costello.

The event was started by David Fishof, who used to produce rock tours including Ringo's All-Starr Band and The Monkees' 20th Anniversary tour.

Camps also take place in Hollywood and at the Abbey Road Studios in London.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7004526.stm

lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 10:14:12 PM »

I've always thought that would be so cool to be able to do!    Can't afford that, though! 
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 08:32:28 PM »

DUDE Teddy Zig Zag is gonna be there!!!!!!!!!!1111  drool

listed as Teddy Andreadis of Guns N' Roses.  Proof that Zig Zag IS GnR!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 08:34:47 PM by Jimmy "Zig Zag" Bobiadis » Logged
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 08:49:30 PM »

For those who did not have the $9,500 to attend:

Day One at Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy Camp

In which our hero contemplates how to play ZZ Top's "Tush" without stealing the thunder from his drumming partner, a man dying of cancer.

Liam Gowing, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

Well, here I am in Las Vegas, attending the tenth annual Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy Camp. I'm writing it up for a forthcoming Action Man column. It's been a tough first day?

Things really couldn't have worked out more bizarrely: I told the Rock Camp folks that I was a fan of the classics (the Beatles, the Who, the Kinks, Stevie Wonder, etc.) and that I was raised on the new wave/alternative/indie rock continuum (connect the dots between Split Enz and Of Montreal and you've got most of the picture), but even with Alan White, the Yes alumnus who played drums on "Instant Karma!" in the mix, they assigned '90s glam-metal man Mark Slaughter as my camp counselor. A little curveball, but no biggie.

Moreover, I told Rock Camp that I could sing and play guitar, bass and keyboards pretty well and that I could, in a pinch, keep an OK (i.e., kinda crummy) beat on drums. So yep, you guessed it? they assigned me drums.

Now I knew all this coming here and was even excited about the prospect (Wow, drumming for Mark Slaughter? that's sure to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience), even when I was told to come ready to play ZZ Top's "Tush" ?a shuffle beat no less! But I was still a little taken aback to find out the context in which I would be performing this function.

I found out today that I would be one of two drummers playing simultaneously. Yikes. As hard as it is to keep a steady rhythm going, it's much harder to do so in perfect sync with another human being! But that doesn't even begin to explain the challenge inherent in my situation. That challenge comes with the fact that the other drummer?Chris, a total sweetheart?is dying of cancer. He's actually here by the good graces of the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Playing drums for Mark Slaughter at RnR Fantasy Camp may be a fun goof and an interesting writing assignment for me but it's this man's dying wish!

Which brings me to an oddly unsettling realization: If I really give it on the drums (and show him up), I'll ruin his last hurrah on planet earth. And if I really screw up on the drums (the far more likely outcome), I'll ruin his last hurrah on planet Earth.

Umm, OK? more on this tomorrow. And now, back to you in the studio.

Day Two at Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy Camp

If you can believe it, Motley Crue's Vince Neil is actually a sweet and rather shy guy.

Liam Gowing, Times Staff Writer

I'm starting to finally settle into Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy Camp.

Released from the horrible coil of Frank Beard's shuffle beat, I actually had a nice day behind the kit and banged out several decent beats in spite of myself. As for yesterday's concerns about the double-drummer scenario, I've decided to leave all that baggage behind. If cancer-stricken Chris can handle to stress of our polyrhythmic racket ? on top of chemotherapy and who knows what else ? so can I.

Anyway, under the efficient if autocratic rule of Counselor Slaughter, our little ad hoc band actually wrote, arranged and rehearsed an original composition and then performed it for Motley Crue singer Vince Neil and the bevy of cameras, publicists and assorted hanger-ons that followed him from rehearsal room to rehearsal room like the train of a wedding gown. It was a trip to meet him. He actually seemed nervous to meet us, which was totally bizarre. Perhaps someone tipped him off to the fact that Chris was terminally ill but regardless, Neil seemed sweet and rather shy, as if he were embarrassed by all the hubbub he was causing. Not so motley.

After that mid-afternoon meet-and-greet, it was back to work. Going through the other big names who'd be swinging through for a potential cameo with the band ? Joe Walsh, Slash, Jack Bruce, Roger Daltrey ? we focused our brown noses on Daltrey and Slash and decided to learn one Who and one Guns N' Roses song. The GN'R selection was easy; everyone wanted to do "Sweet Child O' Mine." But picking out a Who song was a knock-down drag-out. We listened to ? or discussed ? "My Generation," "I Can't Explain," "Substitute," "Behind Blue Eyes," "The Real Me," "Pinball Wizard," and even "Baba O'Reilly." I was vehemently against the last choice. Sacrilege! We haven't earned the right to play ? much less butcher ? that classic rock colossus in front of the larynx that made it famous.

I kept pushing "My Generation" and "I Can't Explain." Easy hit-it-and-quit-it numbers that would keep things light. But after much ado, we settled on "Pinball Wizard," simply because I knew the guitar part. In fact, I knew it so well Slaughter and company suggested I just play guitar at the show ? a much easier prospect than trying to follow in Keith Moon's footsteps ? so I agreed. I'll be swapping roles with our foremost guitarist Yayo, who was itching to play drums anyway.

Word is Daltrey's coming by tomorrow, which, as the little orphan sang, is only a day away.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 09:17:49 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 09:01:47 PM »

haha yup he is here in vegas.. one of my collegaues is doing some filming for them and called me and he was standing 2 feet away from slash..   I heard him go 'what up' in the background. lol.   he's getting me a signed copy of his book Smiley   so i'll get the book sooner than I thought after all.  hihi
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 04:11:48 PM »

Day Three at Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy Camp

Is it mind-blowing to play "Pinball Wizard" with Roger Daltrey and "Sweet Child O' Mine" with Slash? Just a little bit.

At the end of Day Three, I was simply not in the right frame of mind to objectively contextualize the major events of the day. So I took a day to mull over the the astounding fact that my band had played "Pinball Wizard" with Roger Daltrey on lead vocals and "Sweet Child O' Mine" with Slash on lead guitar.

I will attempt to speak truthfully about these experiences without communicating what might appear to be ludicrous hyperbole.

The morning of Day Two, I sat down to breakfast with camp counselor Mark Hudson (producer-songwriter for Aerosmith, Ozzy Osbourne and Ringo Starr) and David Fishof, founder and CEO of the Rock Camp organization. They were both going on effusively about the wondrous effects of the camp, telling me about campers who'd written them to say that Rock 'N' Roll Fantasy Camp had transformed their lives, saved their marriages or otherwise wrought something wondrous. "That's the real payoff," Fishof concluded.

"Yeah, that and the money," I said, thinking of the $9500 entry fee.

Nonplussed by my comment, Fishof and Hudson stuck to their guns, stressing that Rock Camp was a labor of love with costs mostly funneled towards logistics (renting out a giant chunk of the MGM Grand, for one) and profits largely vested in smiles, hugs and Hallmark cards.

Well, Day Three was the first day I began to truly believe them. Call it predictable, but performing with Roger Daltrey and Slash were moments I will likely recall in my final moments on planet earth.

It was an excellent day from the get-go. Under the exacting but good-natured eye of Bruce Kulick (guitarist of Kiss during the makeup-free years of the '80s and '90s), who was pinch-hitting for Mark Slaughter (taking a leave of absence to attend a meeting on the East Coast), my band managed to inject some semblance of order into GN'R's "Sweet Child o' Mine" and put a nice sheen on our arrangement of The Who's "Pinball Wizard."

We couldn't help but bond in the deep mystical ways known only to musicians, army buddies and other disaster survivors. And our non-mystical sweat really paid off.

When Daltrey finally arrived, after a torturous 15-minute countdown, we were ready. As I kicked off "Pinball" with Pete Townshend's gorgeous intro of cascading minor and augmented chords, Daltrey looked over at me with something approaching shock. "Kid, you're nailing it," was the message behind his blue eyes. And when lead guitarist Sheldon hit the opening electric chord with a Townshend-trademarked "windmill" strum, followed by some very John Entwistle-esque bass work from our own Stephen, it was obvious that this volcano of a vocalist -- the man responsible for the greatest scream in rock 'n' roll history -- was feeling a little piece of the magic he and his own mates had conjured in stadiums around the world.

With a friendly arm around our own lead singer, Amanda, Daltrey then gave us a fully committed vocal performance of "Pinball," the signature track from the Who's 1969 "Tommy" album, widely regarded as the world's first major rock opera. The energy was tremendous the whole way through: Our most worrisome moment, the dramatic "da-da-dum" ending went off just right with no static between dual drummers Chris and Yayo.

"That was really good, guys!" the infamously perfectionist Daltrey told us as the last chord faded. "And that's not an easy song to play!"

Now, no one fell to the floor, writhing in ecstasy. No one got hired to join the next Who tour or invited over to Rog's place for tea. But the camaraderie at the photo session afterward was real, as was Daltrey's sympathy for Chris' condition. "We're all in the same boat, mate," he replied, a little affected after getting the dreadful unexpurgated explanation of Chris' journey from diagnosis of liver cancer to hospice. "'There but for the grace of God go I.'"

After performing and bonding with Roger Daltrey, I, for one, was actually a little blas? about meeting Slash. This was probably as much a coping mechanism as a case of acute anxiety wouldn't have helped me get through "Sweet Child o' Mine." But if I was fairly relaxed in the moments leading up to our little summit, I was even more so once he arrived.

Slash, as it turns out, hadn't played the song since leaving Guns N' Roses and had to confer with our trio of guitarists, Yayo, Sheldon and Rich, to map out the exact constellation of arpeggiated notes that inaugurates the song. After an aborted first effort that left all of us--Slash included--in stitches, he got it together.

There I was, a novice drummer watching Mr. Saul "Slash" Hudson begin to recreate a hefty patch of my junior high tapestry with one of the biggest power ballads ever recorded.

And his solo was everything one could hope for.

Was the experience perfect? Not even close. One of Rock Camp's video folks decided to park himself directly in front of my kit for a better view, and I had to expend a couple empty beats poking him in the kidneys with my drumstick so I could reestablish eye contact (or in this case, Aviator-sunglasses-contact) with Slash. This was no mere stargazing. He was no longer Slash the icon. He was the guitarist in my band. As one of the drummers, I needed to see him in order to pick up on the visual cues. For the guitarists in particular it was something like ecstasy. And apparently Slash enjoyed it as well because he stuck around for a little instrumental blues jam, which presented an amazing opportunity for Slash and our teenage Slash-in-training, Yayo, to trade solos.

Posing for photographs afterwards, I have to admit there was precious little of the warm fuzziness I'd experienced with Daltrey. Clearly, Slash is a man of few words so I was content to let the music be our only point of real contact. Things changed subtly when one of the Rock Camp corporals yelled out, "He's a journalist, Slash! He writes for the LA Times!"

"The enemy, Slash! He's the enemy!" another yelled.

Deaf to the lampoons, Slash turned to me, a grin spreading across his face and said, "Really? You write for the L.A. Times? Which section?"

"The Guide," I replied.

That's cool, man," he said. "I get your paper every day."

Photo with story: http://www.calendarlive.com/music/cl-et-actionthree12nov12,0,3481512.story?coll=cl-music-top-right

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 04:32:44 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 07:16:16 PM »

Well, that is not the first time he played Sweet Child since he left.  I bet he nailed the damn thing!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 08:12:23 PM »

Well, that is not the first time he played Sweet Child since he left. I bet he nailed the damn thing!

From MTV...

SLASH PLAYS "SWEET CHILD OF MINE" FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A DECADE.  Last week, Velvet Revolver and Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash stopped by the Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp where he performed alongside the campers.  While the campers will no doubt remember the experience for the rest of their lives, Slash was having some trouble remembering at the event.  He explained when he got nervous at the camp.  "Only once tonight so far which was trying to remember the solo to 'Sweet Child of Mine' cause I haven't played it since probably the last Guns and Roses show and that was in 1996.  You just don't go back and play your songs unless you're doing them in concert or for some particular reason like just now.  Then watching the other guys playing it and they actually learned it from a record and all the sudden it got very surreal there for a second."

http://www.mtv.ca/news/article.jhtml?id=5262

« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 08:37:22 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 10:10:08 PM »

His last GNR show was 1993... What the hell Slash.  Come on!  1996 you were in recording sessions and quit the band.  There was no tour then.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 12:45:19 PM »

He wanted to do a club tour for "The Spaghetti Incident?" which was released in 1993, but that didn't happen. So assuming he remembers that, you'd think he would remember that the actual touring ended BEFORE "TSI?" was released......

Or maybe he thought the SnakepitI tour was actually still the GN'R tour.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 07:45:12 PM »

He wanted to do a club tour for "The Spaghetti Incident?" which was released in 1993, but that didn't happen. So assuming he remembers that, you'd think he would remember that the actual touring ended BEFORE "TSI?" was released......

Or maybe he thought the SnakepitI tour was actually still the GN'R tour.....

/jarmo

Was the last uyi tour in July of or August of 1993...

And I know he played sweetchild since then because I remember a radio interview where he said he did the whole song on acoustic and it sounded really cool.  That was back around 2000.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 10:45:19 PM »

SLASH Interviewed At ROCK 'N ROLL FANTASY CAMP; Audio Available - Nov. 17, 2007

The Rock 'n Roll Fantasy Camp Podcast sat down last week with VELVET REVOLVER/ex-GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Slash, who talked about his experience at camp, how it's just as cool for him as it is for the campers, his memoir called (obviously enough) "Slash", the Guitar Hero games, and how long it's been since he played the GUNS N' ROSES classic "Sweet Child O' Mine".

To listen to the 12-minute chat, download the MP3 audio file from this location (12 MB):

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=85074

Watch video footage of Slash being interviewed by Elizabeth Vargas (I get little audio from Slash?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9iPOBLJWgA

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 12:15:30 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9iPOBLJWgA
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2007, 12:35:42 AM »

That's the same link?  I can't really hear what he says? no

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2007, 09:09:10 PM »

He says they're doing Europe in January.

But no shows have been announced yet...

Does anybody expect them to announce a tour of Europe with only six weeks until the month of January?

Maybe they'll play only a few dates in smaller venues..... Or the plans changed (he mentions going to Japan at the end of the month and that has changed since).

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2007, 10:15:48 PM »

Really depends on what time in Jan the shows are taking place.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 01:52:34 AM »

I couldn't hear a fucking thing, either.  I could hear the interviewer just fine...not him, so I gave up. 
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 07:51:48 AM »

I couldn't hear a fucking thing, either.  I could hear the interviewer just fine...not him, so I gave up. 

I hear my friend in the background, he was the guy behind the camera with the deep voice telling her what to do around 1:30.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: