Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 06:37:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228144 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Graduate Level Work via online courses
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Graduate Level Work via online courses  (Read 6503 times)
DevilHatesALoser
« on: September 12, 2007, 10:58:20 PM »

I'm starting to work on my MA in Political Science and was wondering if anyone has any experience with graduate level work taken online.  Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 10:47:40 AM »

how much does it cost?

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
GeraldFord
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 11:00:44 AM »

I've been a graduate student now for about a year:

I'd recommend attending actual classes if you can. Interacting with the professor and other students is part of the learning experience.

Graduate school is easier than being an undergad in that you don't have to study for a lot of tests and the classes are generally a lot smaller. If you are good at essays and writing papers, than you should be in good shape.

However, I would think a lot of political science programs would be to the left-of-center. Most of the political, cultural, etc., courses I have taken were all taught by liberals...so that may be a problem for you!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 11:03:05 AM by Hillary Clinton » Logged
DevilHatesALoser
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 02:05:43 PM »

I'd recommend attending actual classes if you can. Interacting with the professor and other students is part of the learning experience.

Graduate school is easier than being an undergad in that you don't have to study for a lot of tests and the classes are generally a lot smaller. If you are good at essays and writing papers, than you should be in good shape.

However, I would think a lot of political science programs would be to the left-of-center. Most of the political, cultural, etc., courses I have taken were all taught by liberals...so that may be a problem for you!

I'm well aware of the political leanings of PoliSci professors.  My undergrad is in PoliSci and Philosophy.  Every professor I had never allowed their personal opinions to relfect in how they treated a student, ecspecially when the student could justify their position.  Most of my professors grew tired of the repeated rhetoric of newly "enlightened" students.  I have no doubt I'll do fine on any essay and papers.

Taking courses in person isn't an option for me at this time, although I certainly do enjoy face to face discussion a whole lot more.  Anyway, thanks for the responses.  If anyone has any actual experience with distance learning, please let me know.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 02:25:43 PM »

I'm well aware of the political leanings of PoliSci professors.  My undergrad is in PoliSci and Philosophy.  Every professor I had never allowed their personal opinions to relfect in how they treated a student, ecspecially when the student could justify their position.  Most of my professors grew tired of the repeated rhetoric of newly "enlightened" students.  I have no doubt I'll do fine on any essay and papers.

I'm sure you'll have no trouble with essays and papers, because poli sci isn't really about real world political values.  Maybe in an undergrad American politics class it can be, to some extent, but grad work is more about the science, rather than people's political opinions.

Will you be focusing on American, IR, Comparative, or Theory? 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
DevilHatesALoser
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 02:26:53 PM »

American, only because I couldn't find an acceptable theory concentration.  If and when I get my PhD, it will be in theory.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 03:02:33 PM »

American, only because I couldn't find an acceptable theory concentration.  If and when I get my PhD, it will be in theory.

Do you want to study institutions or behavior in your MA program?

Sorry, no info to give you on the online courses, but I'm in a poli sci grad program, as well, and am interested in what you're planning to study.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
DevilHatesALoser
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 03:48:56 PM »

Institutions.  I'm really not intersted in getting invoved with statistics.  Mainly I'm concerned with Law and the theory/rationale behind it.  Behavior is important, but it's not something I want to put alot of time in to.  I have no interest in working for some politician figuring out demographics and what they need to say to win.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 04:02:20 PM »

Institutions.  I'm really not intersted in getting invoved with statistics.  Mainly I'm concerned with Law and the theory/rationale behind it.  Behavior is important, but it's not something I want to put alot of time in to.  I have no interest in working for some politician figuring out demographics and what they need to say to win.

Don't want to be a sheepherder, eh? 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 04:58:15 PM »

buddy of mine did online grad work.  he loved it. 

thats all i got for ya.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 07:15:14 PM »

I wish you luck with that.  One of my majors in under-grad was poli. sci.  I remember a senior-level class I took in '95 where I chose to write my 30-page paper on the problems with Doomsday Theorists...despite the fact my teacher was with no doubt extremely liberal and personally didn't agree with my angle...I still got an A- because it was a good paper.  Good professors don't care what angle your paper comes from as long as it can back itself up with references and form a compelling argument.  (side-note, Julian Simon is a fun read...The Ultimate Resource is a must-read for any poli. sci. major imo)

Now, more on topic.  A buddy of mine is currently getting his MBA on-line through Indiana University.  He only has to be in Indiana once or twice a year if I'm not mistaken.  He loves it.  It's taking several years because it's spread out a bit to allow for working full-time and having a life outside of school.

Good luck!  As long as it is an accredited program, more power to ya.   peace 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
DevilHatesALoser
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 07:20:06 PM »

Thanks Axl4Prez.  The program is regionally and nationally accredited or I wouldn't be taking it.  My best classes in college were the ones where I had to debate each day with extreme leftist.  That is where I made my bread and butter and every paper I wrote got an A.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 07:44:36 PM »

^ That's cool.  Now I tend to be just left of center, but the events I remember most fondly (classroom events) were papers and "discussions" on affirmative action/quota systems (which I argued against vociferously), and ridiculous social welfare handout programs (which I definitely railed against).   Fun times... yes

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 08:27:14 PM »

I remember a senior-level class I took in '95 where I chose to write my 30-page paper on the problems with Doomsday Theorists...despite the fact my teacher was with no doubt extremely liberal and personally didn't agree with my angle...I still got an A- because it was a good paper.  Good professors don't care what angle your paper comes from as long as it can back itself up with references and form a compelling argument. 

I agree with this.  I once turned in a paper for a class entitled Greek Art and Architecture, where I argued that the structure of some ruins indicated that it was a city prepared for a siege.  The comments included this: "You make a good argument, but I couldn't disagree with you more.  A." 

Granted, that's a little different than the prospect of liberal profs disliking Walter because of his conservative beliefs, but in my experience, the politics that comes FIRST at a university is interdepartmental politics.  They're sometimes worse than the GOP and Dems in Congress.  hihi

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 10:59:33 PM »

I nearly managed to turn a materialist into a dualist with one of my philosophy papers!

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
DevilHatesALoser
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 11:25:32 PM »

yea.... and I'm sure you aced the class.
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 11:28:06 PM »

Nothing less than a high distinction.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
DevilHatesALoser
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 11:29:58 PM »

I would love to read this paper
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 11:36:23 PM »

I really don't think that you have proven yourself worthy of reading my work Walter O'Dim. In the meantime just keep on underestimating me.

Good luck with your studies. At masters level I am suprised that you need to ask for advice.

Maybe Axl4Prez will let you read his paper on Greek Art and  Architecture.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
DevilHatesALoser
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 11:38:11 PM »

I really don't think that you have proven yourself worthy of reading my work Walter O'Dim. In the meantime just keep on underestimating me.

Good luck with your studies. At masters level I am suprised that you need to ask for advice.

Maybe Axl4Prez will let you read his paper on Greek Art and? Architecture.

That's what I thought.  More proof what an attention whore you are.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: