Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 06, 2024, 02:19:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228155 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Misfits
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Misfits  (Read 5541 times)
qcmyoungwill
Headliner

Sippin' a drink and feelin' fine

« on: September 10, 2007, 08:20:44 AM »

Anyone going to see the Misfits in Ft. Lauderdale on November 24th?  Just got my tickets!  smoking
cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 06:35:14 AM »

Enjoy it dude- I saw them last year. People put down the Jerry fronted version of the band, but they put on a real fun show! It was great.
And also hang around at the end- at my show Jerry came out and signed everything for everyone. Real friendly guy.

Also last year I saw Danzig, and he did the Misfit mini-set with Doyle- was amazing!
qcmyoungwill
Headliner

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 03:49:38 PM »

I read somewhere that Doyle may be around on this tour because it's the 30th anniversary.  Everyone except Glen... almost perfect.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 03:51:10 PM »

glen.. yeah right...

btw graves owns glen Tongue
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 05:56:39 PM »

Enjoy it dude- I saw them last year. People put down the Jerry fronted version of the band, but they put on a real fun show! It was great.
And also hang around at the end- at my show Jerry came out and signed everything for everyone. Real friendly guy.

Also last year I saw Danzig, and he did the Misfit mini-set with Doyle- was amazing!

I'm going to see them on the 27th here in Jersey. I've seen them so many times I honestly lost count. Somewhere in the double digits. I went to see Glenn play with Doyle 3 times as well, it was pretty awesome hearing him sing some of my favorite songs ever. And Jerry always hangs out after the show no matter what. He literally doesn't leave a single person wanting an autograph or a picture without one, it's insane. He's an incredibly cool guy.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »

Haha did you guys ever meet Jerry when he wasn't dressed up.  He looked like a high school gym teacher when I met him.  Had these bright ass sweat pants on and some polo shirt and he was wearing glasses.  The guy is awesome though.  There couldn't be a more sincere artist to his fans.  He literally talked to my friend and I for over 20 minutes before his show in State College one night.  I felt bad for actually keeping him away from other people, but the dude is a pro. 
I really wish Glenn would stop being an asshole and maybe repair his ties with Jerry.  That would be the greatest fucking show possible.  Glenn's voice is turning to shit these days though so they better do it soon.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 01:32:42 AM »

I'm a fan of Danzig's post-Misfits work. In fact I'm going to see him the weekend before Halloween. But yes, Michale Graves does indeed own Danzig as Misfits frontman. The "Resurrected" Misfits are where I really got into them, and while I have all of the Graves albums I have no interest in the Danzig era. I can't stand shitty production, which is why I have a problem with most punk music, but with Graves they took on a much more metallic feel, sort of a sped up death rock. Samhain was great old school death rock, and I think the Danzig albums are amazing. It's just Danzig Misfits and me never clicked. Still, going to see Danzig and then going to see the Jerry-fronted Misfits the next fucking day this Halloween. Should be ... exhausting. Doyle's playing Danzig's show with his band Gorgeous Frankenstein, so I don't see him playing with Jerry at all on this one. Even though it's the 30th anniversary, which is disappointing.
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 02:04:35 AM »

I'm a fan of Danzig's post-Misfits work. In fact I'm going to see him the weekend before Halloween. But yes, Michale Graves does indeed own Danzig as Misfits frontman. The "Resurrected" Misfits are where I really got into them, and while I have all of the Graves albums I have no interest in the Danzig era. I can't stand shitty production, which is why I have a problem with most punk music, but with Graves they took on a much more metallic feel, sort of a sped up death rock. Samhain was great old school death rock, and I think the Danzig albums are amazing. It's just Danzig Misfits and me never clicked. Still, going to see Danzig and then going to see the Jerry-fronted Misfits the next fucking day this Halloween. Should be ... exhausting. Doyle's playing Danzig's show with his band Gorgeous Frankenstein, so I don't see him playing with Jerry at all on this one. Even though it's the 30th anniversary, which is disappointing.

If you want Danzig-era Misfits with good production........try to download the album called "12 Hits From Hell".  Basically it was pulled because Glenn and Jerry both hated the final mix, but Caroline records had a few copies pressed anyway (only like 1000 and they're super rare now).  Either way it's easily available on most files sharing networks and the mastering is far better than even Static Age.  It's also the only sessions that the Misfits recorded as a five piece band. 

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 02:22:47 AM »

If you want Danzig-era Misfits with good production........try to download the album called "12 Hits From Hell".  Basically it was pulled because Glenn and Jerry both hated the final mix, but Caroline records had a few copies pressed anyway (only like 1000 and they're super rare now).  Either way it's easily available on most files sharing networks and the mastering is far better than even Static Age.  It's also the only sessions that the Misfits recorded as a five piece band. 

Thanks. I'd heard about the album but (for obvious reasons) never came across it. I'll search for it now beer
qcmyoungwill
Headliner

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 05:28:23 PM »

Graves owns Glen?  It's Glen's music.  He's the guy who wrote and recorded it originally.  That's like saying Weiland sings GNR better than Axl.  I don't care how good Michael Graves is... the Misfits are Glen Danzig, Jerry Only, Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein, and anyone who can play the drums (Although Franch? Coma had a part in some awesome tunes).  Period.  You are obviously retarded.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 05:43:48 PM »

Graves owns Glen?? It's Glen's music.? He's the guy who wrote and recorded it originally.? That's like saying Weiland sings GNR better than Axl.? I don't care how good Michael Graves is... the Misfits are Glen Danzig, Jerry Only, Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein, and anyone who can play the drums (Although Franch? Coma had a part in some awesome tunes).? Period.? You are obviously retarded.

Yes we obviously are retarded since we have a different opinion then yours Cheesy

sorry people for going off topic but he brought it up..
GNR did a shitloads of covers but by your logic all the originals of those covers are better then GNR's versions.. uhmkay Roll Eyes
I think i even read that trent reznor thought cash's hurt was better then his..but you would never think that mr narrowminded because cash didn't write it and record it first
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 05:56:49 PM »

Graves owns Glen?? It's Glen's music.? He's the guy who wrote and recorded it originally.? That's like saying Weiland sings GNR better than Axl.? I don't care how good Michael Graves is... the Misfits are Glen Danzig, Jerry Only, Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein, and anyone who can play the drums (Although Franch? Coma had a part in some awesome tunes).? Period.? You are obviously retarded.

Yes we obviously are retarded since we have a different opinion then yours Cheesy

sorry people for going off topic but he brought it up..
GNR did a shitloads of covers but by your logic all the originals of those covers are better then GNR's versions.. uhmkay Roll Eyes

I think i even read that trent reznor thought cash's hurt was better then his..but you would never think that mr narrowminded because cash didn't write it and record it first

Homeboy has a point.
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 09:28:36 PM »

Except that Graves wrote or co-wrote most or all songs on the albums he appears on. Graves had enough original material of his own that covering Danzig's never really became an issue. That's like saying Scott Weiland can't compare to Axl even on his own material with Velvet Revolver (which he can't anyway, I'm just making a point) just because Axl came before him and he covers some of Axl's material in concert. The Misfits with Michale Graves are an entirely different entity than they were in the Danzig era. Their sound as a whole was completely different. But Graves music just clicked better with them for me and for other fans.
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 03:36:03 AM »

No Glenn= Not the Misfits
qcmyoungwill
Headliner

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 04:16:35 PM »

Graves stuff with the Misfits may be good... but it isn't what most people think of when they think of the band.  I am talking about the original Misfits.  The band that was innovative.  Glen created the band.  And do you know why Jerry calls the band the Misfits?  Because Glen still owns the name and rights and gets a piece of the action without having to do a thing.  If Axl wasn't around and Velvet Revolver called themselves GNR... I wouldn't think they were.  I don't care if Cash thought Trent's version of Hurt was better... it's still Cash's song.  That is why it is called a cover.  GNR's version of Mama Kin is great... It's still Aerosmith's song.  The lead singer of Lynyrd Skynyrd is Ronnie Van Zant's brother and they call themselves Skynyrd... but they aren't.  I am looking forward to seeing the Misfits in November... but I would be shiting myself to see them if Danzig were there.  HE is the Misfits.
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 04:33:44 PM »

I don't care if Cash thought Trent's version of Hurt was better... it's still Cash's song.

no, judging from your logic it's reznors song
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 04:38:23 PM by LuigiJon » Logged
qcmyoungwill
Headliner

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 05:22:39 PM »

Why do you say that?  And how did this become a pissing match?  lol
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 05:27:23 PM by qcmyoungwill » Logged
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 05:40:21 PM »

Why do you say that??

probably because reznor recorded it in like 94 and cash covered it in 2002

And how did this become a pissing match?? lol

probably because i'm "obviously" a "retard" since my opinion differs from yours   "lol"
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 07:21:38 PM »

Overall career:
Glenn Danzig > Michale Graves

The Misfits:
Glenn Danzig < Michale Graves

Case closed. Flawless victory. The pissing match can end here hihi

EDIT: Cash's version of "Hurt" can kick as much ass as it does, but it's still and will always be Reznor's song. Too many younguns are coming up without even realizing it's an NIN song. I thought that was blatantly obvious for all to see, but the amount of people who've started to believe it's a Cash original really scares me. Worked well for Cash. Worked better for Trent. He wrote it. About himself. Well, that's just my opinion. I don't think you're a retard if you disagree.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 07:24:23 PM by JonathanvonDoom » Logged
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 06:02:20 AM »

The Misfits was Glenns vision. His idea and his music.  The Graves "Misfits" no matter how much you like the music is not the real Misfits.
And am I the only one who prefers NIN Hurt over Cash?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: