Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 04:21:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Official Sammy Hagar/David Lee Roth/Van Halen Thread
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official Sammy Hagar/David Lee Roth/Van Halen Thread  (Read 200684 times)
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #500 on: August 22, 2007, 10:51:43 AM »

MICHAEL ANTHONY: 'I Was Not Invited To Do The VAN HALEN Tour' - Aug. 21, 2007

Pre-recorded tapes will reportedly be used to recreate Anthony's backing vocals on the tour.

Talk about adding insult to injury.  That's just not cool, in my opinion.
The way Dave was talking at the press conference he made it sound like Wolfgang was gonna take on a big role in the background vocals.  That's what I got out of it at least.

Yeah, though it was a bit ambiguous. I wasn't sure if Dave meant that Wolfie's vocals were great or that Wolfie had been forcing them all to perform at a higher level so Dave's vocals had improved. There's been no official word as far as I know about taped vocals, it's just speculation as far as I can tell. VH with Dave always played pretty loose so I would think it would be hard to sync them - they'd have to play songs at the same speed every night for one thing.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #501 on: August 22, 2007, 04:36:56 PM »

What the hell?!?!?!  Talk about vindictive...

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1567612/20070822/van_halen.jhtml

Not surprisingly, Anthony also failed to make any reference to the recent reports that his name has been removed from the writing credits for the band's 1984 LP, 1984. Some of the band's fans first took notice of this little fact while reading the closing credits for the movie "Superbad"; Van Halen's hit song "Panama" is used in the film, but the song is credited only to Eddie and Alex Van Halen and David Lee Roth.

According to the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers database, Anthony's name has been removed from the songwriting credits of 1984, but he's still credited with crafting material for the band's other studio releases.

Anthony could not be reached for comment as of press time; a representative for Van Halen had not provided comment from the band at press time.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #502 on: August 22, 2007, 05:52:37 PM »

Talk about vindictive...

I think prick would be a more descriptive term.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #503 on: August 22, 2007, 06:52:47 PM »

Talk about vindictive...

I think prick would be a more descriptive term.
That's what you get for double crossing Eddie.  Looks like Michael picked the wrong friend in Sammy.  Sticking by Eddie's side would've been a bit better financially, of course I'm sure he's a lot more sane with Sammy.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #504 on: August 22, 2007, 11:07:59 PM »

during the press conference i still felt tension between them all  Undecided

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #505 on: August 22, 2007, 11:12:33 PM »

What the hell?!?!?!? Talk about vindictive...

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1567612/20070822/van_halen.jhtml

Not surprisingly, Anthony also failed to make any reference to the recent reports that his name has been removed from the writing credits for the band's 1984 LP, 1984. Some of the band's fans first took notice of this little fact while reading the closing credits for the movie "Superbad"; Van Halen's hit song "Panama" is used in the film, but the song is credited only to Eddie and Alex Van Halen and David Lee Roth.

According to the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers database, Anthony's name has been removed from the songwriting credits of 1984, but he's still credited with crafting material for the band's other studio releases.

Anthony could not be reached for comment as of press time; a representative for Van Halen had not provided comment from the band at press time.

Is that legal??? I dont see how they could do that  Huh

I mean its been proven he wrote them with the rest of the guys... You cant just say forget it  no
SLCPUNK
« Reply #506 on: August 23, 2007, 04:06:47 PM »

Yea, me neither.
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #507 on: August 24, 2007, 08:05:36 AM »

Yea, me neither.

It's strongly rumoured that Mike has been a salaried employee of VH for a long time, possibly as far back as Hagar joining the band. Their royalties at ASCAP were set up so that the singer (all three of them) got paid separately but the rest of the money went into a company called something like Van Halen Inc, out of which the other three were paid. It's pretty much fact (according to Hagar interviews) that EVH didn't want MA on the 2004 tour either, but Hagar insisted, but one condition was that MA gave up his publishing rights. There are also EVH interviews going back as far as the Roth years where he whines that MA got paid for songs even though he didn't write a single note.

Anyway, while it seems petty and vindictive, it's almost certainly not illegal.

Another example of how this works. The keyboard intro to the Rainbow song 'Gates of Babylon' was written solely by the keyboard player, but he sold his writing credit rights to Ritchie Blackmore for a fixed sum, and is not credited on the album (Long Live Rock'n'Roll). It probably happens a lot, just not so high profile as Van Halen/Michael Anthony.

Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #508 on: August 24, 2007, 01:22:33 PM »

More dates have been announced for the first VAN HALEN tour in more than 22 years with David Lee Roth as lead vocalist. The group's schedule is now shaping up as follows:

Sep. 27 - Charlotte, NC - Charlotte Bobcats Arena
Sep. 29 - Greensboro, NC - Greensboro Coliseum
Oct. 01 - Philadelphia, PA - Wachovia Center
Oct. 03 - Philadelphia, PA - Wachovia Center
Oct. 07 - Toronto, ON - Air Canada Centre
Oct. 10 - Cleveland, OH - Quicken Loans Arena
Oct. 12 - Toronto, ON - Air Canada Centre
Oct. 14 - Indianapolis, IN - Conseco Field House
Oct. 16 - Chicago, IL - Allstate Arena
Oct. 18 - Chicago, IL - United Center
Oct. 20 - Detroit, MI - Joe Louis Arena
Oct. 22 - Auburn Hills, MI - Palace of Auburn Hills
Oct. 24 - Minneapolis, MN - Target Center
Oct. 26 - Kansas City, MO - Sprint Center
Oct. 28 - St. Louis, MO - Scottrade Center
Oct. 30 - Boston, MA - TD Banknorth Garden
Nov. 01 - Washington DC - VerizonCenter
Nov. 03 - E. Rutherford, NJ - Continental Airlines Arena
Nov. 07 - Uniondale, NY - Nassau Coliseum
Nov. 13 - New York, NY - Madison Square Garden
Nov. 20 - Los Angeles, CA - Staples Center
Nov. 23 - Glendale, AZ - Jobing.Com Arena
Nov. 25 - San Diego, CA - Cox Arena
Nov. 27 - Sacramento, CA - Arco Arena
Nov. 29 - San Jose, CA - HP Pavilion at San Jose
Dec. 01 - Portland, OR - Rose Garden
Dec. 03 - Seattle, WA - Key Arena
Dec. 05 - Vancouver, BC - General Motors Place
Dec. 09 - Edmonton, AB - Rexall Place
Dec. 11 - Calgary, AB - Pengrowth Saddledome

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
GeraldFord
« Reply #509 on: August 25, 2007, 10:59:01 AM »

I have my ticket-- for 175 bucks (for ONE ticket!) this better be pretty fuckin' good!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #510 on: August 25, 2007, 01:11:06 PM »

I got 5 tickets this morning for $93 each for the Boston show.  Hopefully they don't breakup before then.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #511 on: August 25, 2007, 01:22:27 PM »

I got 5 tickets this morning for $93 each for the Boston show. Hopefully they don't breakup before then.

I haven't been in B-town for a long time, I'll make it back some day, untill then my friend ... beer smoking

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #512 on: August 25, 2007, 01:31:41 PM »

Take it with a grain of salt of course - but over at the vhforums site (including from the site owner) there are rumours that EVH's drinking is out of control again and he's generally acting like a douchebag to everyone involved with the tour.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #513 on: August 25, 2007, 01:33:25 PM »

I got 5 tickets this morning for $93 each for the Boston show. Hopefully they don't breakup before then.

I haven't been in B-town for a long time, I'll make it back some day, untill then my friend ... beer smoking
Yeah, I live in CT right smack in the middle of Boston and NYC and since they didn't schedule any dates for CT we're gonna have to make a little trip out of it to see them. ?Should be worth it though. ?Same thing happened last year when GNR skipped out on CT, went and saw them at MSG and that was a fantastic show. ?

TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #514 on: August 25, 2007, 01:42:12 PM »

Yeah, I live in CT right smack in the middle of Boston and NYC and since they didn't schedule any dates for CT we're gonna have to make a little trip out of it to see them.  Should be worth it though.  Same thing happened last year when GNR skipped out on CT, went and saw them at MSG and that was a fantastic show. 

There's supposedly a show at Mohegan Sun in early November which hasn't been announced yet.

Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #515 on: August 25, 2007, 02:01:49 PM »

Well I've always been a casual Van Halen fan, But I've been listening to the Best Of Both Worlds Greatest Hits package they put put out in 2004 to see if I can get into Daves tunes and go see them...But man oh man...Sammys tunes just kick Daves out of the water except for Jump and RWTD...Black & Blue is an amazing song, and Cant Stop Lovin You, Dreams,Love Walks In,Best Of Both Worlds...They truly reached new height with Sammy and I wish they could get together again...I mean I guess every VH fans dream is to have both them tour

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #516 on: August 25, 2007, 02:34:05 PM »

Well I've always been a casual Van Halen fan, But I've been listening to the Best Of Both Worlds Greatest Hits package they put put out in 2004 to see if I can get into Daves tunes and go see them...But man oh man...Sammys tunes just kick Daves out of the water except for Jump and RWTD...Black & Blue is an amazing song, and Cant Stop Lovin You, Dreams,Love Walks In,Best Of Both Worlds...They truly reached new height with Sammy and I wish they could get together again...I mean I guess every VH fans dream is to have both them tour
I don't know, I think you're in the minority on the Sammy bandwagon.  He did a solid job keeping the band going but DLR IS Van Halen.  A far better frontman, and better songs in my opinion.  Everyone's different though, I enjoyed Sammy's work, just not as much as Dave's.

TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #517 on: August 25, 2007, 03:25:05 PM »

Cant Stop Lovin You, Dreams,Love Walks In

Wow, probably the three worst songs VH ever recorded - in my opinion of course. I'm not sure there's a song I actively hate more than Dreams. I really can't listen to any Hagar stuff any more, but I'll concede that BaB and BOBW are among the few listenable ones along with Good Enough, Summer Nights and Humans Being.

bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #518 on: August 25, 2007, 07:47:28 PM »

I don't know, I think you're in the minority on the Sammy bandwagon.? He did a solid job keeping the band going but DLR IS Van Halen.? A far better frontman, and better songs in my opinion.? Everyone's different though, I enjoyed Sammy's work, just not as much as Dave's.

I'm in that minority as well, I think.  Granted, Dave was a far better frontman in terms of showmanship...how can one's ego be that large and *not* be?  The band definitely had some great songs under DLR's tenure, and I'm not about to say that they weren't amazing together.  For me, though, 5150 is *the* Van Halen album, that showed off the best of Eddie's writing and playing with a newfound sense of maturity that wasn't really seen with Dave.  Just some great, great melodies and well-written pop songs.  Like you say, faldor, everyone's different, but I'm your opposite in that I enjoyed Dave's work, just not as much as Sammy's.  That said, I still find "Balance" completely unlistenable...  beer
GeraldFord
« Reply #519 on: August 26, 2007, 07:56:32 AM »

For me, though, 5150 is *the* Van Halen album, that showed off the best of Eddie's writing and playing with a newfound sense of maturity that wasn't really seen with Dave. 

Mature=keyboards, electric drum kit, songs about love, deep lyrics...."win or lose, take the high with the blues," "it's got what it takes, oh baby, why can't this be love."

Have any of you ever listened to Fair Warning before? I liked Van Hagar and all, but....

I also thought Balance was the best of the Sammy years.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: