Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 12:26:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Official Sammy Hagar/David Lee Roth/Van Halen Thread
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official Sammy Hagar/David Lee Roth/Van Halen Thread  (Read 200944 times)
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #360 on: March 08, 2007, 07:05:22 PM »

That matches the rumors of Ed's alcoholism breaking up VH for some time now.? The new Rollingstone quotes Sammy as saying Eddie was drinking "24/7" during the last tour, and the website just posted the following:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/03/08/from-eddie-to-his-fans-an-explanation/

Especially sad when you consider this will most certainly mean Eddie will be a no-show at the Hall of Fame induction.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #361 on: March 08, 2007, 07:12:05 PM »

What a strange twist in this story.  The guy who was supposedly standing in the way of the reunion is the only one able to actually go out and perform, and now it's not even going to happen.

Looks like Roth is the only MAN of the bunch.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #362 on: March 08, 2007, 07:54:01 PM »

What a strange twist in this story.? The guy who was supposedly standing in the way of the reunion is the only one able to actually go out and perform, and now it's not even going to happen.

Looks like Roth is the only MAN of the bunch.

Honestly, I think the only strange part is that it took Eddie this long to admit he's got a problem and seek help.  I saw them in '04, and Eddie was drinking non-stop and smoking primarily when the lights went down.  It's just sad that there has been so much (I assume) unnecessary mudslinging and friction among the VH members that possibly resulted from Eddie's addictions and Alex's loyalties to his brother.  And worse to bring his son into all this, in spite of what I'm sure was nothing but good intentions.

And good point about Roth being the only man of the bunch.  Pretty ironic, considering his last statement about the reunion possible becoming permanent was this:
"I have hope and faith, and that's more than just the name of a couple of strippers from Albuquerque."
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #363 on: March 08, 2007, 08:50:24 PM »

From a piece found here on mtv.com:

http://www.mtv.com/#/news/articles/1554272/20070308/van_halen.jhtml

"Only singer Sammy Hagar and bassist Michael Anthony are expected to be at the induction ceremony Monday in New York, with drummer Alex Van Halen skipping the ceremony out of loyalty to his brother. Roth said the organizers' decision to let Velvet Revolver perform Van Halen songs was his reason for bailing out of the event."
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #364 on: March 08, 2007, 08:58:24 PM »

Dude, no wonder "Sobolewski" left.  I don't blame him one bit.  Musicians want to play songs, and with Hagar he could do that.  Playing in Mexico in front of hot, liquored up girls doesn't sound too bad to me.  Sure beats rehab.  And constant drama.

Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #365 on: March 09, 2007, 09:56:32 AM »

Ed needs rehab bad-he looks terrible, he has for a few years now

libertad
Chief
Legend

« Reply #366 on: March 09, 2007, 01:14:18 PM »

From the LA Times:

David Lee Roth not coming if he can't sing
He says he won't attend a Hall of Fame gala in New York if he can't sing Van Halen songs.
By Geoff Boucher, Times Staff Writer
March 9, 2007

How did that old Van Halen song go? "I found the simple life ain't so simple ?. " The iconic Los Angeles metal band is set to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at a New York banquet Monday night, but now it appears that only one original member, bassist Michael Anthony, will even show up.

Eddie Van Halen released a statement Thursday saying he is going into a rehab program. David Lee Roth, meanwhile, the band's frontman for its first decade, said the same day that he will not attend the ceremony because he wouldn't be allowed to perform.

"I don't make speeches for a living; I sing and dance for my dinner," Roth said, adding that the decision to skip the event "rips my heart out."

The hall of fame's event organizers plan for Velvet Revolver to perform some Van Halen classics, much as Metallica stood in last year to play Black Sabbath songs while that band's members watched from the audience.

The choice of Velvet Revolver was in response to a sticky situation as far as what Van Halen lineup could take the stage. Van Halen's revered guitar hero, Eddie Van Halen, and his brother, drummer Alex, had already sent signals that they would not be in New York. On Thursday, Eddie Van Halen went beyond that and said that he is seeking help with addiction.

In a note addressed to fans he stated: "I have always and will always feel a responsibility to give you my best. At the moment I do not feel that I can give you my best. That's why I have decided to enter a rehabilitation facility to work on myself, so that in the future I can deliver the 110% that I feel I owe you and want to give you."

Roth, speaking before that statement was released, hinted that his old compatriot was hurting.

"Ed is indisposed and working toward a better future here," Roth said. "If Ed ever dries up, this is going to be a stadium act, man."

Without the Brothers Van Halen, the Hall faced the prospect of putting Roth on stage with Anthony, and Sammy Hagar, Roth's replacement in the band and longtime foil.

Roth said he had been preparing since December for the chance to perform for the industry elite and the audience watching on VH1 Classics.

"It's just not an option for me to go and watch some other band ? who are only performing because they have some new record coming out ? do our music," Roth said. "I have nothing against Velvet Revolver ? I'm not familiar with their music ? but that was my 3 minutes and 22 seconds up there."

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #367 on: March 09, 2007, 02:40:29 PM »

Launch Radio Networks reports: VELVET REVOLVER has lined up two songs to perform for VAN HALEN at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony on Monday (March 12). The band will honor both David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar by playing a song from their respective eras ? for Roth, VELVET REVOLVER will play 1978's "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love", and for Hagar they'll play "Runaround" from 1991.

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #368 on: March 09, 2007, 04:50:55 PM »

From the LA Times:

He says he won't attend a Hall of Fame gala in New York if he can't sing Van Halen songs.
March 9, 2007

How did that old Van Halen song go? "I found the simple life ain't so simple ?. " The iconic Los Angeles metal band is set to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at a New York banquet Monday night, but now it appears that only one original member, bassist Michael Anthony, will even show up.

Eddie Van Halen released a statement Thursday saying he is going into a rehab program. David Lee Roth, meanwhile, the band's frontman for its first decade, said the same day that he will not attend the ceremony because he wouldn't be allowed to perform.

"I don't make speeches for a living; I sing and dance for my dinner," Roth said, adding that the decision to skip the event "rips my heart out."

The hall of fame's event organizers plan for Velvet Revolver to perform some Van Halen classics, much as Metallica stood in last year to play Black Sabbath songs while that band's members watched from the audience.

The choice of Velvet Revolver was in response to a sticky situation as far as what Van Halen lineup could take the stage. Van Halen's revered guitar hero, Eddie Van Halen, and his brother, drummer Alex, had already sent signals that they would not be in New York. On Thursday, Eddie Van Halen went beyond that and said that he is seeking help with addiction.

In a note addressed to fans he stated: "I have always and will always feel a responsibility to give you my best. At the moment I do not feel that I can give you my best. That's why I have decided to enter a rehabilitation facility to work on myself, so that in the future I can deliver the 110% that I feel I owe you and want to give you."

Roth, speaking before that statement was released, hinted that his old compatriot was hurting.

"Ed is indisposed and working toward a better future here," Roth said. "If Ed ever dries up, this is going to be a stadium act, man."

Without the Brothers Van Halen, the Hall faced the prospect of putting Roth on stage with Anthony, and Sammy Hagar, Roth's replacement in the band and longtime foil.

Roth said he had been preparing since December for the chance to perform for the industry elite and the audience watching on VH1 Classics.

"It's just not an option for me to go and watch some other band ? who are only performing because they have some new record coming out ? do our music," Roth said. "I have nothing against Velvet Revolver ? I'm not familiar with their music ? but that was my 3 minutes and 22 seconds up there."

Oddly enough, I think much more highly of Dave for that last comment.  Probably because VR doesn't seem to be the band that should pay homage to Van Halen, in my opinion.  Then again, who else?  Not an easy choice to make...
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #369 on: March 09, 2007, 04:53:27 PM »

From the LA Times:

March 9, 2007

Oddly enough, I think much more highly of Dave for that last comment.  Probably because VR doesn't seem to be the band that should pay homage to Van Halen, in my opinion.  Then again, who else?  Not an easy choice to make...

The right thing to do is to take VH off the bill.  Leave them an open spot for next year, or whenever Ed cleans up his act.

Maybe one day Dave's solo band will be inducted.  Undecided
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #370 on: March 12, 2007, 10:58:19 PM »

Michael Norman of the Plain Dealer reports that Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth are definite NO-SHOWS at 2007 Rock Hall induction ceremony. The good news for VAN HALEN fans? Sammy Hagar is in the house and is expected to peform, along with the band VELVET REVOLVER, which will be inducting VAN HALEN.

Here's the running order for the show, which will kick off in 45 minutes and be broadcast live on VH1 Classic and online at spinner.aol.com/rockhall.

* A tribute to Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun, a Rock Hall founder who died in 2006. Aretha Franklin will perform in his honor.

* THE RONETTES will be inducted by ROLLING STONES guitarist Keith Richards

* Patti Smith will inducted by RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE's Zach de la Rocha.

* VAN HALEN gets its due, inducted by VELVET REVOLVER.

* Hip-hop enters the Rock Hall courtesy of GRANDMASTER FLASH AND THE FURIOUS FIVE, inducted by rap mogul Jay-Z.

* And R.E.M. will be the finale, inducted by PEARL JAM's Eddie Vedder

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #371 on: March 12, 2007, 11:02:32 PM »

the peformance by VR definatly sucked. Weilands voice was awful.

Sammy Hagar and michael anthony did a good job doing "why cant this be love"

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #372 on: March 12, 2007, 11:08:46 PM »

VR sucked.  I didn't wanna say it in their section.  Duff was good, I'll give them that.

Weiland sounded like a damn opera singer. 

The high point was Paul Shaffer joining Anthony and Hagar for Why Can't This Be Love.  It was a great performance.  They truly looked happy, and they enjoyed themselves.

Haha, Hagar called VR the last great band in existence...but they blew VR away.
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #373 on: March 12, 2007, 11:12:08 PM »

its cool how sammy said that vr needs to do a reunion with DLR. how humble of him.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #374 on: March 12, 2007, 11:15:05 PM »

Yeah I just turned off the set.  Hagar and Anthony seem to be the most mature out of the bunch.  Major respect to those guys.  I'm kinda  drool at the prospect of a DLR/Hagar reunion after an initial Dave reunion.

I can't say how amazed I was by their performance and class.
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #375 on: March 12, 2007, 11:16:49 PM »

Yeah I just turned off the set.? Hagar and Anthony seem to be the most mature out of the bunch.? Major respect to those guys.? I'm kinda? drool at the prospect of a DLR/Hagar reunion after an initial Dave reunion.

I can't say how amazed I was by their performance and class.

totally.

such down to earth guys, im glad there happy just doing what there doing.

i wish all the best to Ed. I look forward to seeing him and the rest of the boys on stage again.

Hemingway
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #376 on: March 12, 2007, 11:21:17 PM »

Yeah, that was something they all could agree on, Ed's health and well-being.
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #377 on: March 12, 2007, 11:29:33 PM »

The high point was Paul Shaffer joining Anthony and Hagar for Why Can't This Be Love. 

That was one of the worst things I've ever heard (this side of VR playing VH songs) , totally awful - they made a bad song even worse. They did a good job with the acceptance speech in difficult circumstances but they should have bowed out at that point.

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #378 on: March 12, 2007, 11:44:37 PM »

No tap, they did the right thing.  At least they salvaged the segment.
Chief
Legend

« Reply #379 on: March 12, 2007, 11:48:07 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17538360/

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: