Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 02:26:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Official Sammy Hagar/David Lee Roth/Van Halen Thread
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official Sammy Hagar/David Lee Roth/Van Halen Thread  (Read 201006 times)
flicknn
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #320 on: February 22, 2007, 07:21:41 PM »

it most likely comes down to eddies maNager and other former members of the band , with roylaties and everything else that will be ironed out here shortly.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #321 on: February 22, 2007, 07:27:55 PM »

This is perhaps the most enlightening article yet on the current situation: 

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/music/cl-et-vanhalenfeb23,1,1695119.story?track=rss

Van Halen's road plans have taken a rocky turn
By Geoff Boucher, Times Staff Writer
February 23, 2007

On again, off again
On again, off again
click to enlarge
For Van Halen, the stars seemed aligned for a triumphant 2007. Next month, the group will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the plan was to follow that with a summer reunion tour that would feature David Lee Roth back at the mike for the first time since the Reagan years.

But, once again, the backstage soap opera of Van Halen is the story of the day.

The Van Halen tour has been "shut down," according to a top official at Live Nation, the huge concert promoter that finally surrendered in the face of the chaos surrounding guitar hero Eddie Van Halen. Roth, meanwhile, says he is unsure whether the mercurial guitarist will even travel to New York for the Hall of Fame induction on March 12.

"We have fragile politics in Van Halen; please accept that as a partial answer," Roth said. "But I don't know if the Van Halens are going to go....I hope they do, but right now, I just don't know. Hope springs eternal."

Eddie Van Halen declined interviews through his publicist and girlfriend, Janie Liszewski. Conversations with the business team behind the tour paint a picture of a rock star who is somewhere between Axl Rose and Michael Jackson on the music industry scale of eccentric recluses. The result is that the Van Halen venture imploded before takeoff, even as the Police, the Eagles and Genesis have efficiently geared up for lucrative reunion tours.

"I cannot tell you how frustrating and completely nuts this has been," one key business figure in the tour said while asking not to be identified on the outside chance that the reunion might be salvaged. "Right now, I have to say, I don't see that happening."

It's a disheartening situation for the fans who pine for a Roth-led lineup of the iconic metal band. Among those devoted is Wolfgang Van Halen, the 15-year-old son of Eddie and, according to Roth, a key force behind the reunion.

Wolfgang, a precocious musician, was "the maestro" at the reconstituted band's lone rehearsal, picking the set list and using his iPod to remind his father of the nuances of his solos on the old albums. Wolfgang was tapped by his father to play bass on the tour too, replacing founding member Michael Anthony, a jolting choice considering the child's age and Anthony's status as one of rock's best backup singers and most relentlessly cheerful presences.

Eddie Van Halen remains, by all accounts, a gifted guitarist and rock auteur, but the decision to jettison Anthony in favor of a teenager may have been the first sign that the new enterprise was guided by creaky logic. Now all eyes will be on the Hall of Fame banquet to see who shows up, who performs and how Roth interacts with old rival Sammy Hagar, the man who replaced him as lead singer in 1985 and who will be inducted as an equal.

On Valentine's Day, when the tour still looked viable, Roth was all smiles as he sat down for an interview in a bungalow at Chateau Marmont. The 52-year-old was wearing a snappy black suit and the short haircut that has recently replaced his old pro-wrestler cut. He still flashes a karate smile, but the singer seems calmer and more focused than in years past. The reason, he said, is that he's fresh from working as an emergency medical technician in New York. It's a longtime dream of his to be a paramedic, and the unglamorous gurney and rubber-glove duty humbled him, he said.

"I was working in neighborhoods that were almost exclusively black and Spanish-speaking, so only maybe twice out of 200 clients was I recognized.... I was joking about this in the truck on New Year's Eve, which was my last shift ? I was working in Brooklyn, down in Coney Island ? I said that I've been in more project apartments than Jay-Z and Diddy combined."

Roth was the rock frontman on top of the world when he went solo, but ? as Mick Jagger and Robert Plant also learned ? fans treasure him more when he was side-by-side with an equal on guitar. Roth seemed like a vainglorious sex panther in Van Halen, but on his own he often came off as a relentless jive salesman whose only product was his own past. Roth is still "on" all the time ? he calls it his "incandescent personality" ? but lately he comes off as the voice of reason, a pretty stunning change.

That, and the financial prospects, made him jump at the chance to work with Eddie Van Halen again. Of the old days, he says: "There was a lot of sparks and a lot of tension, like your favorite movies, especially those underground ones.... There was a lot of anxiety too, but it was about ambition, not ego."

Roth was optimistic that the band would follow up the tour with new music; he also pointed to the cache of 1996 recordings that he did with Van Halen during an earlier reunion flirtation. Now it appears the entire output of this new reunion was a single rehearsal in January and a photo shoot with Roth and Eddie, Wolfgang and Alex Van Halen. Alex is Eddie's older brother and the band's drummer.

"Hearing it again, that's an elixir.... What we sell is that we make all the guys feel young and invincible and all the girls feel young and desirable," Roth said. "I watched it happen to everybody that was listening in the studio."

Van Halen was a monster of rock and, for a time, arguably the biggest band in the world. According to the Recording Industry Assn. of America, Van Halen albums have shipped more than 56.5 million copies, which is more than the career totals of U2, Celine Dion, Shania Twain or Prince.

Roth said that he and Anthony will be in New York for the Hall of Fame, as will Hagar, the affable "red rocker."

Last month, Hagar publicly chided Eddie Van Halen for taking his son on tour. He also added that "the guy is a genius, but he's just out there and it's hard for people around him."

In 2004 and 2005, Van Halen toured with Hagar and, according to Pollstar, grossed $55 million playing arenas. But Hagar said that Eddie Van Halen was drinking heavily and, on some nights, it showed. In Chicago, Eddie stumbled throughout the set and, at one point, quit playing and sacked out, telling the crowd: "I done run outta gas."

There were tender scenes too. With the tour winding down in Los Angeles, for instance, Wolfgang came on stage at the Staples Center to play. The body language of father and son made it clear that they reveled in the shared spotlight. Roth said that that affection led to the hopes for the Van Halen reunion.

"I'm going to put some words in Ed's mouth," Roth said. "Whatever explanation he may give about having his son in the band, I'm going to superimpose: He wants to play with his kid while he's still at the top of his game and able to ... and that's also the same reason I'm in the band in its current configuration. No questions asked. He said, 'Hey, c'mon up the hill and make some music.' I said, 'Great. I'd love to play with you while you're still on the top of your game.' "

Roth smiled, but a moment later, when he was asked about what he feared most about the reunion, he didn't hesitate with his answer: "The two worst words in the English lexicon are 'band meeting.' "

geoff.boucher@latimes.com

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #322 on: February 22, 2007, 07:55:43 PM »

That was a nice read.  I still hold out hope that they'll go out and tour this year.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #323 on: February 22, 2007, 08:49:33 PM »

Good read indeed. What struck me most were the  "Roth as voice of reason" part - who would have thought? - and Dave kind words about Wolfgang, citing him as a "key force" behind the reunion.  It kind of goes against the rumor mentioned here that Dave wanted Michael Anthony back on bass...
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #324 on: February 22, 2007, 08:52:25 PM »

I have a feeling this hiatus is due to Eddie's behavior.  Maybe the promoters pulled the plug not wanting a repeat of the sloppy '04 tour? EVH seemed a little out of it at  the NAMM event from 1/19/07- Did he have a few drinks in him?  At the very least he seems to be acting a bit odd- But his performance was still awesome-You be the judge:

http://www.searchforvideo.com/watchclip.jsp?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2F%3Fv%3DsIr-WBZT1MI&title=Eddie+Van+Halen+at+NAMM+January+19%2C+2007&thumbnail=http%3A%2F%2Fsjl-static3.sjl.youtube.com%2Fvi%2FsIr-WBZT1MI%2F2.jpg&publisher=YouTube.com&description=Edward+Van+Halen+during+Fenders+Winter+NAMM+2007+Global+Dealer+and+Distributor+Reception%2C+held+Jan.+19th%2C+2007%2C+at+the+Marriott+in+Anaheim.&type=directory&category=/music/e/eddie-van-halen/

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 08:56:50 PM by GnRFL » Logged

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
guns_n_motley
« Reply #325 on: February 23, 2007, 07:41:51 AM »

That IS the reason the tour is postponed. Eddie is in bad shape. hes an alcoholic and its been wearing him down.

NO ONE will go ahead with this tour until eddie gets his shit together and cleans himself up
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #326 on: February 23, 2007, 06:29:56 PM »

its inevitable that there will be a tour someday.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #327 on: February 24, 2007, 07:42:26 AM »

it's sad to hear how bad he's gotten with the drinking-I know he's been through an lot the last few years (cancer, divorce), but it's now night and day as to how he was in '94-'96 when he was trying to get sober, and talked about why-I remember when Balance came out, he had cut his hair and gotten sober, and seemed very determined.

libertad
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #328 on: February 24, 2007, 07:45:13 AM »

it's sad to hear how bad he's gotten with the drinking-I know he's been through an lot the last few years (cancer, divorce), but it's now night and day as to how he was in '94-'96 when he was trying to get sober, and talked about why-I remember when Balance came out, he had cut his hair and gotten sober, and seemed very determined.

I saw them during the last Hagar tour - '04?.  During the concert, when the lights were down on the stage, you could easily see Eddie smoking away like crazy (this was not long after he was "cured" of his cancer), and I  believe drinking as well.  As a fan, it was infuriating and sad to see...
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #329 on: February 24, 2007, 07:58:12 AM »

I'm a huge fan, seen them with Sammy and Gary, thought the '04 concert sucked-he was just noodling a lot, I don't know-I also didn't like the new songs they recorded with Sammy-they are now coming out with the greatest hits from the Dave era, it just seemed like Motley Crue where it's just a band touring with really no new material, just putting out greatest hits stuff.

libertad
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #330 on: February 24, 2007, 10:20:12 AM »

I'm a huge fan, seen them with Sammy and Gary, thought the '04 concert sucked-he was just noodling a lot, I don't know-I also didn't like the new songs they recorded with Sammy-they are now coming out with the greatest hits from the Dave era, it just seemed like Motley Crue where it's just a band touring with really no new material, just putting out greatest hits stuff.

I'm pretty sure that - like the reunion tour - the new "greatest hits" of the Roth era CD has also been cancelled, or at least put on hold.
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #331 on: February 24, 2007, 01:39:55 PM »

It has been put on hold-the thing is that most or all of the songs appear on the best of van halen vol. 1 & 2-the only thing new are the liner notes, it's stating-rumor is also Eddie did not want any of the Diver Down songs on it, he didn't like a lot of that album at all-I personally like it, but I know he's on record in the past of hating doing cover songs.

libertad
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #332 on: February 24, 2007, 04:49:06 PM »

Yeah, he said something along the lines of that.  He's stated in the past that he'd rather have one of his own songs bomb than to have a successful cover song.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #333 on: February 24, 2007, 05:40:34 PM »

i dont care about the reunion anymore, they had no plans to come to UK, so id infact feel worse knowing they were touring and i couldnt go.

html sucks
Chief
Legend

« Reply #334 on: February 24, 2007, 07:35:41 PM »

anyone read part of this Hagar autobiography?

i saw it here:

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/showthread.php?t=19655

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
guns_n_motley
« Reply #335 on: February 25, 2007, 11:21:41 AM »

The tour should still happen at some point this year. its just a matter of when.

Eddie/dave are actually getting along good. its just eds alcoholism has caught up to him, and no one will go ahead with the tour until he cleans up. apparantly Ed doesnt think he has a problem.

I hope he does get help and we have a sober ed with dave in 2007 tour!!
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #336 on: February 25, 2007, 01:34:36 PM »

Wow I watched that video of Eds appearence at NAMM and I definetly think he has a major problem...Hopefully he can get his shit together

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #337 on: February 26, 2007, 05:43:23 PM »

Some interesting audio clips here with Eddie & Alex, talking about the RnR Hall of Fame, Wolfgang, etc.  All pre-reunion tour, no reunion tour, though.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/02/26/exclusive-audio-eddie-and-alex-van-halen/
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #338 on: March 01, 2007, 02:20:10 PM »

Launch Radio Networks reports: VELVET REVOLVER has been tapped for VAN HALEN's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The band will perform in VAN HALEN's place, and singer Scott Weiland and guitarist Slash will speak on VAN HALEN's behalf. For now, it doesn't look like David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar will join VELVET REVOLVER onstage, and Michael Anthony hasn't commented yet. It's still unknown whether Eddie and Alex Van Halen will attend the ceremony.

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #339 on: March 01, 2007, 02:22:14 PM »

World Entertainment News Network reports: David Lee Roth has snubbed fellow VAN HALEN frontman Sammy Hagar's suggestion the two singers should team up when the band is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame.

Hagar, who replaced Roth in the band, has suggested the collaboration would be a fitting way to honour the group's legacy, but the singer-turned-radio presenter insists it's a terrible idea.

Roth tells Rolling Stone magazine, "I would not do that. That's a whole other kind of music, that's a whole other approach to songwriting... Let him go and do his own thing."

Roth admits it's far from decided if the famously feuding group will perform at the induction ceremony in New York on March 12 March.

He adds, "I don't know yet whether we're going to play at all, we're still going back and forth on that."

I personally think that was a great idea and would be cool to see

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: