Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 11:27:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228490 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  How's VR attendance
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How's VR attendance  (Read 60679 times)
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #140 on: September 09, 2007, 09:37:22 PM »

Actually Jarmo, I guess you are right. At least I can admit when I am wrong. They are different venues. It appears that most concerts occur now at the Molson Amphitheater. Aerosmith will be playing there soon. They are however similar sized venues once you incorporate the stage in the hockey and basketball arena.

Axtually no, most concerts are still at the ACC. Van Halen are playing 2 shows there next month, one of which is already sold out.
hellfirecan
Headliner

My dog dreaming is running...

« Reply #141 on: September 09, 2007, 09:54:08 PM »

GnR played in Winnipeg last year and it wasn't a sell out.  I do not know about the rest of Canada though...not even going to try and guess.

I have no clue about any VR shows up here...

Pearl Jam played in Thunder Bay (my home town) last year as well, and didn't even come close to selling out the 4,000 seat arena in town.  I think they were in the 2,500 area.  We couldn't sell out Pearl Jam, but we jammed in over 4,000 for the Tragically Hip in February.  Our Lady Peace sells out every time they come here.  And Sum 41 and Finger 11 just sold out the arena for a show next month.  But Pearl Jam...not even close. 

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #142 on: September 09, 2007, 10:03:31 PM »

Considering they weren't on the radio or TV with a new song out, I'd say it was a success.

Fair enough.

Not all shows sold out, but you seem to forget how many shows they actually played.

No idea here how many shows they played, I'm guessing about as extensive as the current VR tour.

I maybe wrong, I haven't really done the math.

Is the average attendance on this VR tour in the ballpark in comparison to GNR's US tour of '06? ?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2007, 10:43:50 PM »

Actually Jarmo, I guess you are right. At least I can admit when I am wrong. They are different venues. It appears that most concerts occur now at the Molson Amphitheater. Aerosmith will be playing there soon. They are however similar sized venues once you incorporate the stage in the hockey and basketball arena.

Axtually no, most concerts are still at the ACC. Van Halen are playing 2 shows there next month, one of which is already sold out.

Others act playing there within the next four months or so are Rush, Beastie Boys,  Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, The Police and  Ozzy Osbourne.

No idea here how many shows they played, I'm guessing about as extensive as the current VR tour.

I maybe wrong, I haven't really done the math.

I think VR are out longer. It seems like their tour is almost three months long where as GN'R was out for two months.

Is the average attendance on this VR tour in the ballpark in comparison to GNR's US tour of '06? 

As I said, I haven't heard about any sold out shows on the VR tour.

Reviews I've seen have mentioned half full venues.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #144 on: September 09, 2007, 10:54:51 PM »

And they very well might not sell out any, time will tell.

I checked the concert chronology on this site (great feature by the way), it looks like GNR only sold out
2 arena shows in the ((NYC and LA) on the '06 US part of the tour.?

Is this correct?

Didn't we have quite a few of the same type of reviews from the GNR US tour of '06?

If so, what deems one a success and the other a falure?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #145 on: September 09, 2007, 10:59:47 PM »

I checked the concert chronology on this site (great feature by the way), it looks like GNR only sold out
2 arena shows in the ((NYC and LA) on the '06 US part of the tour. 

Is this correct?

Didn't we have quite a few of the same type of reviews from the GNR US tour of '06?

I guess you can break it down into smaller markets to show that VR's tour is successful.

Since GN'R sold out shows in Canada, just focus on the USA....

How about this: A tour behind an album, that was pushed back to make it go to #1, with a big "reunited" 90s name opening act and lots of publicity (interviews, TV, radio apperances) sells less than one with almost no promotion?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #146 on: September 09, 2007, 11:05:04 PM »

2 arena shows in the ((NYC and LA) on the '06 US part of the tour. 

Is this correct?

I guess you can break it down into smaller markets to show that VR's tour is successful.

How about this: A tour behind an album, that was pushed back to make it go to #1, with a big "reunited" 90s name opening act and lots of publicity (interviews, TV, radio apperances) sells less than one with almost no promotion?

/jarmo

Get this the band that tours with no promotion has the name GUNS N ROSES , I'll bet you is Axl quit and Slash got the GNR name they'd sell out everywhere just for the fact of the brand name. I have some guitars that are no name branded , they don't sell millions of copies but that doesn't make them bad , Gibson guitars might be just as good or worse but they sell millions because its GIBSON.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #147 on: September 09, 2007, 11:21:11 PM »

Get this the band that tours with no promotion has the name GUNS N ROSES , I'll bet you is Axl quit and Slash got the GNR name they'd sell out everywhere just for the fact of the brand name. I have some guitars that are no name branded , they don't sell millions of copies but that doesn't make them bad , Gibson guitars might be just as good or worse but they sell millions because its GIBSON.

Wasn't it established earlier in this thread that even the bands with names doesn't sell out shows?

/jarmo

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #148 on: September 09, 2007, 11:25:16 PM »

I never said VR's tour was successful, just comparing apples to apples and defining criteria for success or failure for each in the US concert going marketplace

I deferred to our Canadian bretheren for that info, I have no idea how VR did in Canada

In todays concert going marketplace in the US, what's more viable:

A band as you described above or a band with a 20+ year legacy and a back catalog second to few? ?

From an average numbers per show standpoint (including all dates from GNR's 06 North American Tour)
are the numbers VR's drawing currently in the same ballpark as what GNR did?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #149 on: September 09, 2007, 11:40:45 PM »

Wasn't it established earlier in this thread that even the bands with names doesn't sell out shows?

/jarmo

GNR's success is much more comparable to that of Aerosmith, VH, The Eagles, than to that of NIN, Manson, Nugent etc.  I doubt the last 3 combined have sold the amount of records GNR has in North America.

Wouldn't you agree?

Each of the former either have (or will in VH's case) sell out a majority of the North American arena dates.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

holtzmn73
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #150 on: September 09, 2007, 11:53:11 PM »

Pearl Jam played in Thunder Bay (my home town) last year as well, and didn't even come close to selling out the 4,000 seat arena in town.  I think they were in the 2,500 area.  We couldn't sell out Pearl Jam, but we jammed in over 4,000 for the Tragically Hip in February.  Our Lady Peace sells out every time they come here.  And Sum 41 and Finger 11 just sold out the arena for a show next month.  But Pearl Jam...not even close. 

I was at the Thunder Bay show and that arena was pretty damn full, it was close to sold out if not sold out IMO. Remember all the seats behind the stage were full when Eddie went into the stands and sang Last Kiss.

As for GNR-VR attendance comparsions, I saw GNR at the Target Center in Mpls last December and there were 10,000 there while I saw VR two weeks ago at the Xcel Center in St Paul, 15 minutes from the Target Center, there was 6,000 there. The attendance for VR isn't the problem if you ask me, the crowd for VR looked extremely bored and lost when they played anything other than GNR-STP tunes or Slither and Fall To Pieces, people just don't know their songs. Plus Alice IN chains got a way better reception and alot of people left when they were done, that is what VR should be worried about, the people who do attend are more interested in the opening band and only hearing GNR-STP tunes.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 12:08:16 AM by holtzmn73 » Logged
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #151 on: September 09, 2007, 11:58:25 PM »

A band as you described above or a band with a 20+ year legacy and a back catalog second to few? 

From an average numbers per show standpoint (including all dates from GNR's 06 North American Tour)

Now you're using a long history as a reason they sell more tickets.

Earlier you said it was no guarantee to sell a lot of tickets since bands like Marilyn Manson or The Cure don't sell out arenas.

I don't have the average numbers. But it seems that one sold out GN'R show equals two or three VR shows.

/jarmo

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2007, 12:05:06 AM »

A band as you described above or a band with a 20+ year legacy and a back catalog second to few??

Earlier you said it was no guarantee to sell a lot of tickets since bands like Marilyn Manson or The Cure don't sell out arenas.

I don't have the average numbers. But it seems that one sold out GN'R show equals two or three VR shows.

/jarmo

Jarmo, didn't GN'R sell out a BUNCH of arenas on the 2006 NA Tour?  I remember checking the Poll Star rankings every week Chief put them up, and if the dates weren't sold out, they were pretty damn close.

I know all of them weren't packed shows, there were some small market shows that didn't sell well, but ticket sales were very healthy for the most part.

I think the most damning thing regarding VR's attendance woes is the fact that they played a 1,000 seat venue in Los Angeles, their hometown!  They played the Pond on the Contraband tour (arena) and now they are reduced to playing clubs.  That left me scratching my head, and then the album dropped with almost little to no fanfare.

PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2007, 12:07:11 AM »

in the end we all know that the only "cool" thing about a VR show are the covers..
and im not the only one saying it.. most of professional reviews say it
is very easy to understand whty they are not selling tickets..

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2007, 12:10:56 AM »

Jarmo, didn't GN'R sell out a BUNCH of arenas on the 2006 NA Tour?  I remember checking the Poll Star rankings every week Chief put them up, and if the dates weren't sold out, they were pretty damn close.

Of the shows I went to, Toronto and Ottawa weren't sold out as far as I know.

But they were close.

in the end we all know that the only "cool" thing about a VR show are the covers..
and im not the only one saying it.. most of professional reviews say it
is very easy to understand whty they are not selling tickets..

Those are the most well received songs in their set.

It's no wonder they added another GN'R song to their set.....

/jarmo

estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2007, 12:20:21 AM »

in the end we all know that the only "cool" thing about a VR show are the STONE TEMPLE PILOTS covers..

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2007, 12:34:37 AM »

in the end we all know that the only "cool" thing about a VR show are the STONE TEMPLE PILOTS covers..

I've always loved "Interstate Love Song"
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2007, 12:43:40 AM »

What?!! You don't like Guns N' Roses songs?
Tsk,Tsk.

Fuck 'Em All.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #158 on: September 10, 2007, 12:44:30 AM »

No I didn't.

I asked you which one you thought was more viable in the US concert going marketplace.

Yes, and the Aerosmith, VH and Eagles comment was to show bands that are much more in "GNR type of success" realm that do and will.

As historical success goes, wouldn't you agree GNR are in the same category as the bands mentioned above and light years ahead of Manson, NIN, The Cure?

From most accounts it seems as though this VR tour is playing to around the same average numbers GNR did in '06, fair to say?

If that's the case give or take a few, why is one successful and the other not?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #159 on: September 10, 2007, 01:26:49 AM »

What?!! You don't like Guns N' Roses songs?
Tsk,Tsk.

with Weiland on vocals?

no, thanks.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »