Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 11:29:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228490 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  How's VR attendance
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How's VR attendance  (Read 60684 times)
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #260 on: October 08, 2007, 05:28:08 PM »

How about all the VR fans admitt that the tour is a faliure ?

I would define failure as revenue not surpassing expenditure; everything else is subjective. What is your definition?

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Adler_Sorum_Brain
Rocker

Look at the lies Slash is leading

« Reply #261 on: October 15, 2007, 08:36:20 AM »

Half empty / half full venues

( Don?t talk smart with me, i can?t handle it )

As the dust settled, Axl stared unblinkingly at me and, with no hint of irony, summed up GN?R?s philosophy: ?We don?t start anything. But if you mess with us, then we?ll fuck you up!
darth monkey
Beware: Can outwit all of you!
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #262 on: October 15, 2007, 03:41:06 PM »

Well then GNR is pretty much a failure now too. We just have to admit it, we're in a different era now. The era where piece of shit songs like Gimme More by Britney climb the charts with ease. It's a sad state of affairs. I often wonder how Appetite would sell today if it was released now. It's unfortunate cause I don't think we would have this argument at all, I'm not sure they would have sold nearly as many albums as they did. probably half the members would have been dead and there would have never been a VR and GNR probably would not have existed 5 year beyond Appetite.

My definition of failure is what the music industry has turned into.
Adler_Sorum_Brain
Rocker

« Reply #263 on: October 15, 2007, 04:08:19 PM »

Yes, i agree with you to some level..But GNR?s trip trough Europe was a triumph ..Would VR draw the same crowd ? Even though GNR is living on old achivements, they are 1 number bigger than VR..And stronger..VR is also living on old things ( you know what ) I don?t think this should be discussed.." Who?s bigger, who?s better"  It?s a matter of taste in what band who?s best..But when you look at both sales and shows..GNR wins..I just think that some hardcore VR-fans should admitt that...Okay i take back what i said a couple of posts back when i wrote that VR is a faliure, but to say that GNR is also a faliure is wrong...At least they attract  Roll Eyes

It?s all about downloads today..Linkin park sold about 12 million records in 2000-2001, the latest album sold "only" a couple of millions..Alot has change in theese 6 years. The old bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden will always sell tons of records, because the fans always buy the album like it?s their duty...If AFD would have been released in 2007 i think it would have sold 5 million, and be downloaded 10 million.

Excuse my fukkin english  ok

As the dust settled, Axl stared unblinkingly at me and, with no hint of irony, summed up GN?R?s philosophy: ?We don?t start anything. But if you mess with us, then we?ll fuck you up!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #264 on: October 15, 2007, 07:04:49 PM »

Yes, i agree with you to some level..But GNR?s trip trough Europe was a triumph ..Would VR draw the same crowd ? Even though GNR is living on old achivements, they are 1 number bigger than VR..And stronger..VR is also living on old things ( you know what ) I don?t think this should be discussed.." Who?s bigger, who?s better"? It?s a matter of taste in what band who?s best..But when you look at both sales and shows..GNR wins..I just think that some hardcore VR-fans should admitt that...Okay i take back what i said a couple of posts back when i wrote that VR is a faliure, but to say that GNR is also a faliure is wrong...At least they attract? Roll Eyes

It?s all about downloads today..Linkin park sold about 12 million records in 2000-2001, the latest album sold "only" a couple of millions..Alot has change in theese 6 years. The old bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden will always sell tons of records, because the fans always buy the album like it?s their duty...If AFD would have been released in 2007 i think it would have sold 5 million, and be downloaded 10 million.

Excuse my fukkin english? ok
I agree things have changed a lot in the last SEVEN years, but Contraband was released THREE years ago not SEVEN.  You could still argue things have changed in that timeframe, but have they changed THAT much?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #265 on: October 15, 2007, 08:37:36 PM »

Well then GNR is pretty much a failure now too.

Because they played several sold out shows in Australia while VR are gonna play smaller venues?

Same thing in Japan, GN'R in arena sized venues, VR going for the smaller ones.

Not every show sells out, but they play for bigger crowds and headline festivals. That's something VR doesn't do.

It's not even a comparison to most sensible people. GN'R is in the premier league and VR isn't even being considered to be promoted.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #266 on: October 15, 2007, 09:23:36 PM »

Because they played several sold out shows in Australia while VR are gonna play smaller venues?

Not every show sells out, but they play for bigger crowds and headline festivals. That's something VR doesn't do.

It's not even a comparison to most sensible people. GN'R is in the premier league and VR isn't even being considered to be promoted.

/jarmo

Jarmo, I see where darth is going if you read that whole post.  True, GNR is still "big" but only because of past sucess.  Bands like Linkin Park rule the roost now.  Bon Jovi may still be a big draw, but they still release great chic rock and guys like them too.  We live in a singles era more now than ever.  November Rain could never get on radio now if it was a new single.  That is what is worrysome and why I fear that CD will never be fully appreciated by the masses. 
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #267 on: October 16, 2007, 12:29:33 AM »

a failure is when more people are there to see the high school kids you have opening for you leaving no more than 40 people in the room to see you. (ie Adler's Appetite)

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Adler_Sorum_Brain
Rocker

« Reply #268 on: October 16, 2007, 07:39:24 AM »

I agree things have changed a lot in the last SEVEN years, but Contraband was released THREE years ago not SEVEN.  You could still argue things have changed in that timeframe, but have they changed THAT much?

I wasn?t talking about VR..I thought that was kinda clear, the other guy talked about the music buisness, and i took LP as a example..duuuuh  Wink

Adler_Sorum_Brain
Rocker

« Reply #269 on: October 16, 2007, 07:39:43 AM »

a failure is when more people are there to see the high school kids you have opening for you leaving no more than 40 people in the room to see you. (ie Adler's Appetite)

Now that was cheap

fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #270 on: October 16, 2007, 09:11:04 AM »

Now that was cheap

... but a damn good definition.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #271 on: October 16, 2007, 09:28:11 AM »

I agree things have changed a lot in the last SEVEN years, but Contraband was released THREE years ago not SEVEN.? You could still argue things have changed in that timeframe, but have they changed THAT much?

I wasn?t talking about VR..I thought that was kinda clear, the other guy talked about the music buisness, and i took LP as a example..duuuuh? Wink

I realize that, I can read.  So Linkin Park released an album SEVEN years ago that did great, this last one, not as great.  I made the comparison to VR.  Contraband did quite well THREE years ago.  Libertad, not so much.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
darth monkey
Beware: Can outwit all of you!
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #272 on: October 16, 2007, 10:24:04 AM »

GNR has not been selling out too many of their shows, they have sold out some in place like Japn and Australia mostly based on the old GNR legacy. I don't think you can compare the sales and attendance of GNR with VR now, a fairer comparison would be to the Contraband numbers since both bands were still banking off the GNR popularity. It will be interesting to see how GNR does after CD, both in terms of sales of the next album and in terms of attendence at venues.

I was not getting into a war of comparing GNR and VR, I try and shy away from that I think it's pretty sad. I do admit that GNR sell more tickets than VR and will probably sell as much or if not more than Contraband, but as stated above this is due primarily to their back history and not the current catalogue of the band.

The music industry is a bad place right now, hopefully GNR and VR can do something to correct it.
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #273 on: October 16, 2007, 11:09:35 AM »

/jarmo

True but when is the new GN'R album coming out?  VR has put out two.  I know GN'Rs will be better than both but at least they are making music.

CSS
« Reply #274 on: October 16, 2007, 12:30:59 PM »

This doesn't have anything to do with a bands "capability" to release an actual album.

Let's face it, the tour hasn't been doing so well - but who cares?! If the shows are good, they're good. Filled with people or not.

I'm looking forward to see both Velvet Revolver and Guns N' Roses again, and I don't give a rats ass if those shows aren't sold out.
Adler_Sorum_Brain
Rocker

« Reply #275 on: October 16, 2007, 03:41:41 PM »

I wasn?t talking about VR..I thought that was kinda clear, the other guy talked about the music buisness, and i took LP as a example..duuuuh  Wink

I realize that, I can read.  So Linkin Park released an album SEVEN years ago that did great, this last one, not as great.  I made the comparison to VR.  Contraband did quite well THREE years ago.  Libertad, not so much.

yes

Adler_Sorum_Brain
Rocker

« Reply #276 on: October 16, 2007, 03:42:07 PM »

Now that was cheap

... but a damn good definition.

whaaaaaevahhhh

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #277 on: October 17, 2007, 09:13:51 AM »

n this case, in case you don't know, it was three-fifths of Guns N' Roses - Slash, Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum - one quarter of Stone Temple Pilots, singer Scott Weiland, plus guitarist David Kushner, who used to play with the punk band Wasted Youth (whoever they were) who collectively rocked a half-empty Rexall Place last night. Maybe you'd prefer to say it was half-full, though 5,000 people isn't quite half capacity here. It certainly wasn't a "super" turnout.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Entertainment/Music/2007/10/17/4582469-sun.html

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mdttkk
Rocker

« Reply #278 on: October 17, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »

n this case, in case you don't know, it was three-fifths of Guns N' Roses - Slash, Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum - one quarter of Stone Temple Pilots, singer Scott Weiland, plus guitarist David Kushner, who used to play with the punk band Wasted Youth (whoever they were) who collectively rocked a half-empty Rexall Place last night. Maybe you'd prefer to say it was half-full, though 5,000 people isn't quite half capacity here. It certainly wasn't a "super" turnout.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Entertainment/Music/2007/10/17/4582469-sun.html

/jarmo

I was at that concert.  First thing first, it was my first time seeing VR live and my seats were pretty close up to the stage and I have to say they put on a great performance.  Tickets were 70$ Canadian, and yes the arena was not even half full.  They closed the upper level section and only had the lower and floor spaces.  On the floor the seats were pretty spaced out too unlike when I went to Bon Jovi and probably Van halen coming up.  When Guns N' Roses played here they sold the place out completely.  The only thing with GNR tho is that their floor isnt organized so everyone on the floor just crammed up to the front.  If they had organized the seats the concert would have looked 100% sold out.  I think VR had a bigger audience last time they came, but I would have much rather seen them in a smaller club venue, that would be absolutley crazy!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 02:32:08 PM by mdttkk » Logged
diablo280273
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #279 on: October 17, 2007, 02:51:58 PM »

I think the attendence for the VR shows isn?t that bad for a rock n roll band in 2007, you got to put things in perspective. GnR should atract bigger crowds than VR. They are a huge legendary name. But even the GnR tour wasn?t an overwhelming succes for a band with their legacy. Sure they played for big crowds but these were mostly festivals. In Holland they played for 15.000 people with bands like Alice in Chains and Stone Sour on the same bill. In 1993 the played at the exact same area twice, each day for over 50.000 people. I?d say these days they draw a 10.000 - 15.000 per show if its a GnR only show. Not bad at all, but no comparisment at all with the bands ?golden years?. And nowhere near the amount of people that go to see bands like Bon Jovi, or U2 for example. That is nothing to be ashamed about. Its a whole different ballgame in the music industry these days. GnR and VR are rock ?n roll bands, while these other bands are drawing a much more mainstream audience. I also think that in GnR case the bands reputation is a factor. I?ve spoken a lot of people who just didn?t believe anymore that they would actualy show up. But anyway lets just be glad these guys (Both VR and GnR) are back were they belong. On stage and still making a lot of people happy with their music every night.? ?ok? ?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: