Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:41:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Finck's SCOM intro
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Finck's SCOM intro  (Read 12818 times)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2007, 02:20:27 PM »

Voodoo, I agree with Slash not being that "technical".  But he is enough for what he does.
Which is the same in my opinion with Robin.

But its how he blends the scales so seamlessly like Jeff Beck and plays the blues notes and other chromatics when it is time to haul ass.  Its almost like Slash is a jazz out of the box player some times.  And the solo after double talking jive, the exotic scales he is playing show cases his versitility.   Look at the live Patience from 1989 American Music Awards.  He is all over that neck and the note selection is awesome.  The playing from Appetite to Ain't Life Grande is really pretty top notch stuff.  He has toned down in someways in VR, but when he lets it rip, he is awesome.
Look at The Blues solo, it's also all over the neck.

Also, I don't really think ALG is top notch, but oh well...

Anyway, I am sure Fink will sound great in the studio and his bends and pitch will be perfect.
Are you being sarcastic? Because I think it's common sense that Slash also fuck up live... It happens, the only ones who take notice about this are people who over-analyse bootlegs and guitar players who forget about the whole just to wait for the next fuck up...  Anyways, this conversation about Robin's "slopness" were beat to dead here before...

Bucket has one that he uses way too much - besides Madagascar, every solo in the demos had it, which kinda annoys me (tho I'm getting used to it). Slash use his licks less than Bucket, but when he plays his solo act, you can tell that he needs that to be able to do the improvisation.
Killswitch?
No, I was talking about a lick he does when he shreds. You can hear it in almost every solo he plays.

I actually like the killswitch and I missed it on Better and TWAT live... Sad
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 02:22:11 PM by Voodoochild » Logged

CSS
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2007, 02:44:55 PM »

Bumblefoot used it when he played the ending in "There Was a Time".

I definitely agree on "Better", though.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2007, 03:17:35 PM »

Bumblefoot used it when he played the ending in "There Was a Time".
\
By the bootlegs, I couldn't hear it. He said once in a chat in another board that he would just turn off one of the pickups to emulate the sound, but I never heard he using it. But I guess Richard does use it sometimes in his solo act...

CSS
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2007, 04:16:43 PM »

That may be, but I can still hear it.

Tongue
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2007, 04:26:27 PM »

Bucket has one that he uses way too much - besides Madagascar, every solo in the demos had it, which kinda annoys me (tho I'm getting used to it). Slash use his licks less than Bucket, but when he plays his solo act, you can tell that he needs that to be able to do the improvisation.
Killswitch?
No, I was talking about a lick he does when he shreds. You can hear it in almost every solo he plays.

I actually like the killswitch and I missed it on Better and TWAT live... Sad

Ah, I didn't miss the killswitch (or red button) on TWAT, cause Ron made it sounds almost the same but I used to miss the killswitch on Better, but now Ron made his solo even cooler (you can hear in some of the July bootlegs), with a different ending that made me love his solo. And in the 'all that I wanted was', Ron plays a damn cool 'tapping thing' in the part that bucket used his killswitch, but it's always too low on the mix. Sad
That being said, Ron uses a Flying V and Bucket uses his own guitar. I've seen people saying "Ron can't play like bucket on Better, he plays in a different way". They don't realize that they use different guitars, and it will not sound the same never.
I know you know this, but some people just don't realize, lol.
Whatever, we all know who the god is... Tongue

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2007, 05:40:50 PM »

are you kidding? the solo's in serial kiler, lifes sweet drug, speed parade and the alien (which is a bonus track i think) are just awesome!? Shocked

im not trying to turn this into a slash vs everyone argument, but credit where credit is due man.

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2007, 06:34:56 PM »

are you kidding? the solo's in serial kiler, lifes sweet drug, speed parade and the alien (which is a bonus track i think) are just awesome!  Shocked

im not trying to turn this into a slash vs everyone argument, but credit where credit is due man.

But personal taste is personal taste also. If he doesn't like the solos on ALG it might not have anything to do with anything other than his personal taste.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2007, 06:37:01 PM »

i think some people need to get used to the fact that slash hasn't been in the band for 11 years and isn't coming back.  get over it .
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2007, 06:59:51 PM »

i think some people need to get used to the fact that slash hasn't been in the band for 11 years and isn't coming back.  get over it .

For some retarded reason that will never happen, people can't get out of the past.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2007, 05:00:06 AM »

i think some people need to get used to the fact that slash hasn't been in the band for 11 years and isn't coming back.? get over it .

For some retarded reason that will never happen, people can't get out of the past.

are you kidding? the solo's in serial kiler, lifes sweet drug, speed parade and the alien (which is a bonus track i think) are just awesome! Shocked

im not getting at that man, i clearly said, thqats what i didn't want to get in to

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
Irish rose
Rocker

You're Gonna Die!!

« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2007, 08:31:05 AM »

i think some people need to get used to the fact that slash hasn't been in the band for 11 years and isn't coming back.? get over it .

People do need to get of the past.

It may seem at times that people on here dont appreciate the old band but that cant be true because any guns fan here cant deny that Slash was amazing in guns, wrote some of the greatest solo's ever and the new guys have huge boots to fill.  But i think they can do it. I think Robin is really creative but very sloppy at times (sometimes it seems intentional e.g. the blues demo where he stutters in the solo) I wish people could just stop bitchin and enjoy the music, past or present.

While im here, i think moments like the 12.20.06 los angeles piano jam prove to me the greatness that the new band could achieve. That jam alone is my favourite piece of music ive heard from the new guns

"I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich"
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2007, 11:23:03 AM »

are you kidding? the solo's in serial kiler, lifes sweet drug, speed parade and the alien (which is a bonus track i think) are just awesome!  Shocked

I do credit slash for what I like, but this album (which I bought back in 2000) never made me wanting to learn it how to play. In other hand, I did want to learn all the new GNR songs, so you get the point...

People do need to get of the past.

It may seem at times that people on here dont appreciate the old band but that cant be true because any guns fan here cant deny that Slash was amazing in guns, wrote some of the greatest solo's ever and the new guys have huge boots to fill.  But i think they can do it. I think Robin is really creative but very sloppy at times (sometimes it seems intentional e.g. the blues demo where he stutters in the solo) I wish people could just stop bitchin and enjoy the music, past or present.
I guess it's a matter of facing the reality - Slash is gone. It's been more than 10 years. Since then, for good or better, we had some new songs by the new members (yeah, I know its all unreleased, but still) and this section is obviously about the current line-up.

It's like, if you didn't like that, if you still want Slash and so, there's other sections in this board to talk about this. It's past and we can do nothing about it (IMO, I don't even want to, I love the new band). I just can't see a reason to bring back this eternal bitter sadness about the absence of Slash in this section... Maybe these people should start to understand that, if they didn't like the new band (or just can't get it enough because of the "slashless"), it's ok, just leave it and move on. Both sides did it already.

You can like or dislike Robin by what he is, but not because he's not and never will be Slash. It's not about being better or worse, it's just different. And we already have enough proof of how Robin's work is, so it's time already to support or just leave it (I mean, just don't expect to be something that is not)...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: