Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:43:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Finck's SCOM intro
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Finck's SCOM intro  (Read 12823 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2007, 11:09:07 AM »

Smoking just listen to my link.

Robin's not trying to sound like somebody else.
Robin sounds robin.
There he plays his own 'since I've been loving you' for the fans that have been waiting to see the band long.
Utterly Cool.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2007, 11:33:59 AM »

Smoking just listen to my link.

Robin's not trying to sound like somebody else.
Robin sounds robin.
There he plays his own 'since I've been loving you' for the fans that have been waiting to see the band long.
Utterly Cool.

Ya, its okay.  I think I could solo that good.  32-45 sec is vintage Slash.  45-2:00+ is very Slash/Gary Moore.  Also some Jimmy Page.  Which is cool.  I like it.

Look, watch this whole clip, then tell me what you think. This is Gary Moore.  This is moving.  This is beauty.  Finck's thing was cool, this is on a whole other level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWp-Mazmf88
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2007, 11:47:57 AM »

Voodoo, I like Robin.  I like his stage presance.  But Gary, Slash, and Zakk all do their thing.  He doesn't sound like Zakk, he sounds like a guy, trying to sound like Zakk.
I couldn't disagree more. I think he sounds far from Zakk and has a very good style that is really easy to notice. I can tell when is Robin playing a solo by far in any song because of his unique style - and that doesn't seem to be like else's sound. 

The last wah part is what I am referring too.  His solo goes nowhere.  It doesn't build up.  Like the Godfather or the Solo after Double Talking Jive are both improv, but they are building to something bigger.
I think this is only your opnion... I think it does build up to something of his own, the main melody of his blues solo along with Frank and Dizzy (or Pitman). No need to build into another song... Slash used to play a really long solo before build it into the Godfather Theme - it took way too long.

Finck is a good player.  He must be a hell of a song writer.
I think we have tons of proof already.

Some may say Slash is a copy of a copy, but he has his own distinctive style and licks.  Name for me some "Robin" styles, trademarks, and licks?
Robin's styles and trademarks? He has tons of it! Everybody were able to say how it was Robin's work in Better and TWAT when they first listened to the demos.

As for licks, I think Robin doesn't really have one besides his unique way of bending - which could be considered as not having a "cliche", an easy way to play fast or build a solo from improvisation. In other hand, Bucket has one that he uses way too much - besides Madagascar, every solo in the demos had it, which kinda annoys me (tho I'm getting used to it). Slash use his licks less than Bucket, but when he plays his solo act, you can tell that he needs that to be able to do the improvisation.

Gary and Zakk have a ton of them.  How many guitar players list those guys as influences?  How many list Finck.
This is just about being famous, I'm sure. Robin didn't release anything big yet. This is gonna change once CD be released. Also, you need to see the moment, as the guitar playing is not really like it used to be back when Slash, Gary and Zakk had their top. Kids are not into playing guitar as it was back in the '80s and '90s.

He is a fine player, but brings nothing new at all to the table in terms of playing or tone.
Not only he does bring a lot, but also his tone is the most unique of the three other guitars in the band. Tell me one solo that brings as much feeling as The Blues, TWAT and Better solos since 2001.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 11:51:46 AM by Voodoochild » Logged

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2007, 11:51:42 AM »

Smoking Guns, I'll listen to it.

But just one thing, Robin is not trying to show off his level his skill or whatever.
He's just trying to show his heart to the fans there.  Nothing can interfere.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2007, 12:05:37 PM »

Smoking Guns, I'll listen to it.

But just one thing, Robin is not trying to show off his level his skill or whatever.
He's just trying to show his heart to the fans there.? Nothing can interfere.

That is very fair.  I like it over all.  But, its something many members here on this very forum could play.  But its not about how hard something is to play.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2007, 12:20:13 PM »

Voodoo, I like Robin.? I like his stage presance.? But Gary, Slash, and Zakk all do their thing.? He doesn't sound like Zakk, he sounds like a guy, trying to sound like Zakk.
I couldn't disagree more. I think he sounds far from Zakk and has a very good style that is really easy to notice. I can tell when is Robin playing a solo by far in any song because of his unique style - and that doesn't seem to be like else's sound.?

The last wah part is what I am referring too.? His solo goes nowhere.? It doesn't build up.? Like the Godfather or the Solo after Double Talking Jive are both improv, but they are building to something bigger.
I think this is only your opnion... I think it does build up to something of his own, the main melody of his blues solo along with Frank and Dizzy (or Pitman). No need to build into another song... Slash used to play a really long solo before build it into the Godfather Theme - it took way too long.

Finck is a good player.? He must be a hell of a song writer.
I think we have tons of proof already.

Some may say Slash is a copy of a copy, but he has his own distinctive style and licks.? Name for me some "Robin" styles, trademarks, and licks?
Robin's styles and trademarks? He has tons of it! Everybody were able to say how it was Robin's work in Better and TWAT when they first listened to the demos.

As for licks, I think Robin doesn't really have one besides his unique way of bending - which could be considered as not having a "cliche", an easy way to play fast or build a solo from improvisation. In other hand, Bucket has one that he uses way too much - besides Madagascar, every solo in the demos had it, which kinda annoys me (tho I'm getting used to it). Slash use his licks less than Bucket, but when he plays his solo act, you can tell that he needs that to be able to do the improvisation.

Gary and Zakk have a ton of them.? How many guitar players list those guys as influences?? How many list Finck.
This is just about being famous, I'm sure. Robin didn't release anything big yet. This is gonna change once CD be released. Also, you need to see the moment, as the guitar playing is not really like it used to be back when Slash, Gary and Zakk had their top. Kids are not into playing guitar as it was back in the '80s and '90s.

He is a fine player, but brings nothing new at all to the table in terms of playing or tone.
Not only he does bring a lot, but also his tone is the most unique of the three other guitars in the band. Tell me one solo that brings as much feeling as The Blues, TWAT and Better solos since 2001.

Its not about being famous Voodoo!  Fortus and Bumble and Bucket are not famous, but, they influence a lot of players.  As a guitar player, Fink really doesn't do anything that I would want to imply in my playing.  Fortus is a great alternate picker.  Bumble plays some exotic scales that peak my interest.  Bucket's use of effects and melodic sense along with speed and precision is amazing.  But when it comes to finck, a lot of his basic fundementals are so off that as a student of the instrument, not much good comes from studying his playing.  He is just an "average" to "good" player.   He has great stage command.  He currently has a cool style.  He can write a nice solo on the few songs where he shines.  I am sure in the studio he will come across much more polished and I will appreciate it more.  I am not giving up on Finck.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2007, 12:56:58 PM »

I had a listen. Doesn't sound like robin but some bit like Ventures some bit Santana some bit Tony visconti and some bit richie blackmore.... Tongue yet as a whole it's probably very gary moore I guess. and even if members here on this very forum could play the same notes, they wouldn't really sound like him. The same is true with Robins. Well robin might not sound as proficient as moore but as far as I can gather pioneers like Jimmy page was never the most technical player.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2007, 01:00:35 PM »

I had a listen. Doesn't sound like robin but some bit like Ventures some bit Santana some bit Tony visconti and some bit richie blackmore.... Tongue yet as a whole it's probably very gary moore I guess. and even if members here on this very forum could play the same notes, they wouldn't really sound like him. The same is true with Robins. Well robin might not sound as proficient as moore but as far as I can gather pioneers like Jimmy page was never the most technical player.

Good points.   Gary is a great all around player. 
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2007, 01:31:07 PM »

Its not about being famous Voodoo!  Fortus and Bumble and Bucket are not famous, but, they influence a lot of players.
Fortus? I don't think so. And BBF and BH both released several solo records, so they are fairly well-known with guitar players. That was my point, Robin didn't really released anything besides a small whole in the Ghosts Of Mars OST.

As a guitar player, Fink really doesn't do anything that I would want to imply in my playing.
Fair enough, but as a guitar player, I do have influence from Robin. I'll upload something I made that reminds me a bit of him, if you want to...

Fortus is a great alternate picker.  Bumble plays some exotic scales that peak my interest.  Bucket's use of effects and melodic sense along with speed and precision is amazing.  But when it comes to finck, a lot of his basic fundementals are so off that as a student of the instrument, not much good comes from studying his playing.
That's not true and, the way you put, you could say the same with Slash. He's not really a king of technic..

He is just an "average" to "good" player.
Again, tell me one recent solo as good as what he did on The Blues, Better and TWAT.

He has great stage command.  He currently has a cool style.  He can write a nice solo on the few songs where he shines.  I am sure in the studio he will come across much more polished and I will appreciate it more.  I am not giving up on Finck.
From what I heard, his studio work doesn't go that much far from what he play live.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2007, 02:34:03 PM »

I hear many zep heads say Slash is a page wannabe.  hihi

To me the purple haziness in robins tone is far more amorous than slashes sloppiness or gary's all roundness. Yeah it has real tone. I see a spark of muse in there.
If you don't, never mind.  peace Just a matter of taste or time. you may well change your mind when you hear Robin more.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2007, 02:35:28 PM »

Robin has one of the most unique tones I've ever heard from a guitar player.    The dude is fucking amazing and the slasholes can try to deny it all they want.   They are wrong.

Robin belongs in GnR.
CSS
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2007, 02:37:12 PM »

And, BTW, I do not agree with Robin's sound being similar to Zakk

Once again...

I was talking about the actual video that I posted, his tone isn't similar to any of the guitarists mentioned otherwise.

He's got this own thing going on and I really like what I'm hearing.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2007, 02:39:39 PM »

which is love. love
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2007, 04:12:56 PM »

Voodoo, I agree with Slash not being that "technical".  But he is enough for what he does.  But its how he blends the scales so seamlessly like Jeff Beck and plays the blues notes and other chromatics when it is time to haul ass.  Its almost like Slash is a jazz out of the box player some times.  And the solo after double talking jive, the exotic scales he is playing show cases his versitility.   Look at the live Patience from 1989 American Music Awards.  He is all over that neck and the note selection is awesome.  The playing from Appetite to Ain't Life Grande is really pretty top notch stuff.  He has toned down in someways in VR, but when he lets it rip, he is awesome.

Anyway, I am sure Fink will sound great in the studio and his bends and pitch will be perfect.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2007, 05:22:08 PM »

it's FINCK with a C before the K damn it  rant rant

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2007, 06:00:58 PM »

it's FINCK with a C before the K damn it  rant rant
rofl rofl

Bucket has one that he uses way too much - besides Madagascar, every solo in the demos had it, which kinda annoys me (tho I'm getting used to it). Slash use his licks less than Bucket, but when he plays his solo act, you can tell that he needs that to be able to do the improvisation.
Killswitch?

Finck is a good player.  He must be a hell of a song writer.
For sure! Like Voodoo said, we already have proof, though. Axl just needs to show the world that.

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2007, 06:20:35 PM »

dammit, estabanf, I spell Finck right some times.  My bad!!!!
CSS
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2007, 03:10:22 AM »

Killswitch?

The infamous "red button".

hihi
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2007, 03:21:51 AM »

I've seen some people fighting cause of that! rofl
some people say 'its a killswitch' and other 'its the red button damnit'.

...and yes, the 'abusive' use of the red button annoys me sometimes. Undecided

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2007, 06:12:43 AM »

which is love. love

I remember coming away from our concert here in Detroit in 2002 and being inpressed as hell with Robin.  I thought his look was ofcourse a little strange but I loved his stage presence and feeling in his playing.

All of that has grown since then. When I went to Hammerstein in 06 I was flat out blown away by how much better he was. As I said, I was impressed before and then just BLOWN away.

I don't think there's anyone else in music he sounds like and that's a grea thing.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: