Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 03:28:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228527 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Looking to buy a new router and monitor..suggestions appreciated!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking to buy a new router and monitor..suggestions appreciated!!  (Read 2360 times)
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« on: August 24, 2007, 01:44:22 PM »

Hey everyone,

I have the Linksys WRT54G V.3 router, and have had it for awhile now. Experiencing some problems with the firewall in it (not being able to connect to some torrent sites, etc.), so I'm looking to purchase a new one. However, it has to be Linksys. I work for a company where I have to login to a VPN and upload/update PayRoll every weekend. We used to have a Belkin router long ago, but due to something with them, I couldn't log on, and company reccomends Linksys. So I'm looking for a good up-to-date Linksys router, with speed boost hopefully (does that really even work?) and something that either doesn't have a firewall in it or something that I can easily get around to be able to 'connect to' my torrents.

Also, I have a piece of shit monitor, small 15". Been saving up and am now going to finally upgrade since my last 20" broke. I'm looking for around 20", give or take. I'm just looking for a good monitor, can be wide screen if needed. But I'm only looking to spend around $200, nothing TOO expensive.

I've looked at couple on Tiger Direct, and they seem pretty nice, just looking for some opinions!

beer beer
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 06:17:30 PM »

I have the Linksys WRT54G V.3 router, and have had it for awhile now. Experiencing some problems with the firewall in it (not being able to connect to some torrent sites, etc.)

Are you sure it's a problem with the router/firewall? A few of the bigger ISPs choke/kill bit-torrent connections to peers outside of their own network and every major torrent site has endless tracker problems, neither of which would be solved by you spending your cash on a new router. Besides which, can't you just turn your firewall off? I think that http://192.168.1.1 is the default access address for linksys routers, switch the firewall off and see if that helps.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 06:39:40 PM »

i personally couldn't have my computer without my widescreen flatpanel monitor.   it takes up almost no fucking room at all.    i'd say save an extra $100 and get a little bit better of a monitor.  plan on spending about $300.
Chief
Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 07:35:53 PM »

not sure about the router, i'll get back to you on that.

i'd definitely go with a dell or samsung flat panel LCD.  preferably 19" or higher and widescreen.
those things are freakin amazing!!

by the way, what ever happened with your computer crash?

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 08:28:03 PM »

by the way, what ever happened with your computer crash?

Got this program called 'GetDataBack for NTFS' cost about $60 I believe. Got every single piece of information I need. Anyone that has a hard-drive crash I highly recommend that!

And I believe its the router and everything, I've tried that web address and everything and I'm still 'not connectible' I forwarded my ports and everything and nothing seems to fix it, so I'm sure its in my router.

Also, I was just using $200 as a starting price, if I find a nice one around $300, of course I'll get it, just looking for some opinions on what people have and love, or have and hate!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 09:21:04 PM »

I bought that exact same router tonight...so I guess that's my suggestion!  It's working well, setup was easy (even though the Best Buy douchebags think you need to spend $160 on their setup service  Roll Eyes) and, most importantly, the missus is pleased with it.  hihi
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 11:24:30 PM by freedom78 » Logged

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 09:40:12 PM »

I bought that exact same router tonight...so I guess that's my suggestion!  It's working well, setup was easy (even though the Best Buy douchbags think you need to spend $160 on their setup service  Roll Eyes) and, most importantly, the missus is pleased with it.  hihi

the one I have? Linksys WRT54G ?
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 11:24:15 PM »

I bought that exact same router tonight...so I guess that's my suggestion!  It's working well, setup was easy (even though the Best Buy douchebags think you need to spend $160 on their setup service  Roll Eyes) and, most importantly, the missus is pleased with it.  hihi

the one I have? Linksys WRT54G ?

The exact one you have.  I even checked the WRT part on the box. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: