Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:25:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What I really like about Axl
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: What I really like about Axl  (Read 9080 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2007, 11:55:28 PM »

Some really good points D, yeah I really don't think Axl enjoys the spotlight all that much.  And he certainly is his own man, does whatever he thinks is right even if EVERYONE disagrees.  It takes balls to stick to your convictions and he's not about to bow to anyone's rules.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 01:50:22 AM »

My issue has never been with Axl Rose.

My issue was always with people trying to annoint the new band greater than the old before an album ever came out and to me that was/is ridiculous.

I have only had problems with other fans but never the actual band.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2007, 02:03:46 AM »

?? but what isn't subjective is what's on those guys resumes.

That's the issue Ali, none of them have had any creative success so to speak.

I have no doubts that Axl is steering the creative vision.

Again, double edged sword.

I think Tommy's solo record is fantastic.? I consider that a great success!? Richard has been a part of several cool bands, including Honky Toast, so has Frank.? I love Pitman's Lusk record.? Robin hasn't done a lot creatively so far, but I love what I've heard from his lead guitar playing.

I think Axl needs some balance as far as band leadership. It would be nice to have someone else making the band decisions in conjunction with Axl, but creatively, I trust Axl's vision will be great if and only if he fulfills it as he sees it.

Ali
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 02:08:00 AM by Ali » Logged
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2007, 02:07:37 AM »

I don't really change my mind. I have never been Anti Axl. I get Anti overzealous fan that puts down the old members but my support for Axl doesn't go away.

I get aggravated, frustrated and every other word that ends with "ated" but u have to admire Axl for his refusal to do anything on anyone elses terms.

So by Axl being an asshole you admire him lol! I agreed with a lot of what you said earlier in the first post , but refusal to do anything on anyone else's terms is not something to be admired about.

I disagree.? When it comes to your own art, it shows the utmost respect for your art and the artistic process to do things your way and your way alone.? If the artist starts to listening to outside voices to the point where their views shape the art, then the art is compromised.

I think in the sense of artistic creation, refusal to do anything on anyone else's terms is to be greatly admired.

Ali

That makes no sense , refusal to anything on anyone else's terms just translates to being an asshole. If Axl wants to do things on his "own" term thats great become a solo artist. Guns N Roses is a band , and its a band effort if everyone "refused to do anything on anyone else's terms" than it would be pointless because everyone would argue for their own way.
I don't really change my mind. I have never been Anti Axl. I get Anti overzealous fan that puts down the old members but my support for Axl doesn't go away.

I get aggravated, frustrated and every other word that ends with "ated" but u have to admire Axl for his refusal to do anything on anyone elses terms.

So by Axl being an asshole you admire him lol! I agreed with a lot of what you said earlier in the first post , but refusal to do anything on anyone else's terms is not something to be admired about.

I disagree.? When it comes to your own art, it shows the utmost respect for your art and the artistic process to do things your way and your way alone.? If the artist starts to listening to outside voices to the point where their views shape the art, then the art is compromised.

I think in the sense of artistic creation, refusal to do anything on anyone else's terms is to be greatly admired.

Ali

That makes no sense , refusal to anything on anyone else's terms just translates to being an asshole. If Axl wants to do things on his "own" term thats great become a solo artist. Guns N Roses is a band , and its a band effort if everyone "refused to do anything on anyone else's terms" than it would be pointless because everyone would argue for their own way.
How can you call Axl an Asshole, you don't even know the guy. Roll Eyes

I have that argument so many times with people Smiley  The response I've gotten varies from "look at what is written about him and what people say" to "you can take the sum of his actions to paint a picture of who he is".  The flaw, the big, fundamental flaw in that thinking is that we, the fans and public, only get a very small percentage of Axl's actions made known to us.  Therefore, to paint a picture of who he is based off such an inherently small percentage of his actions is utterly ridiculous and inaccurate.  You take any one person and if you were to judge them by a few, a small percentage of their actions, they could easily appear to be something they are not in reality.

Ali
dafflovesaxl
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2007, 07:03:48 AM »

Well I admire Axl Rose for the person he is and his love for music, his talent.  I like his attitude, its straight up, no bitching around, what you see is what you get.  I believe I hold a similar attitude myself.? I also ignore most of the crap on the internet about him, most of its bollocks from sad fans trying to clone him or building a website up from stuff we already know, amongst other google alerts etc.

Axl, dont ever change huni.

xx
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 07:06:51 AM by dafflovesaxl » Logged
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2007, 08:06:38 AM »

No creative success? The Replacements? BTW, is it really necessary to quote 10 posts when only responding to one specific statement?

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
dafflovesaxl
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2007, 11:24:02 AM »

I just put one post in regarding the subject - I said what i think and like about Axl, simple as that, problem !!
gnrlies247
Rocker

Axl- you fuckin' rock!

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 12:11:57 PM »

For a little while I have turned a bit to the negative dark side.

I will admit this, but mainly its out of frustration and other things that have nothing to do with anything about Axl or Guns.

Here are some positives though. Things that I truly like and things that make Axl the amazing,unique person he is.

1. I love the fact Axl isn't a Media Whore. I think a big reason there will never be a HUGE STAR or band again is due to the overexposure element. Stars these days are in EVERY magazine, they are on EVERY TV show, they give every interview, they guest appear on EVERY record.

Just check the billboard charts and u will see guys on 4 or 5 different singles. The public gets burnt out and fickle real quick. U have to make them miss u and want more.   Axl has a mystique  surrounding him that u can't fake or buy. A big Reason to me is not only his talent and charisma but his ambiguity.

Stars were made back in the day due to the mystique factor and the way u got to know them was through albums,songs, Music.

now u hear there opinions on everything from politics to global warming to whatever............

2. His loyalty.   U can hear Record Execs screaming everywhere SEBASTIAN BACH? WHAT!!!!!?? he is a washed up 80's guy, U CANT HAVE HIM ON CHINESE DEMOCRACY......... U CANT SING ON HIS Album...... Axl however doesn't give a fuck about "THE COOL" thing to do cause he has and will always do shit HIS WAY and that makes him also very REAL and great. The fact he can say FUCK U to people who may criticize a decision and go with his heart and what he wants without fear of being trendy or cool or now.

That is very very rare to find in someone, especially and entertainer whose bottom line is usually how much cash they can make.

This is the reason we will never see a reunion.  Reunions: Motley Crue, Van Halen etc happen for one reason and that is money.

Axl has never seemed greedy or in it for the money. He is probably one of the most real people in music history and that is something we will never see again.

Do I agree with everything he has done or is doing? Of course not

Does that affect in anyway my loyalty or support?  NOT ONE OUNCE.

Overzealous fans sometimes drive me crazy but Axl is an original and one of the greatest frontman/musicians of all time but its more than his vocals,music and lyrics that make him great.  To see a guy stand up and be real and not sell out in a profession where it is unheard of not to and is expected, I think he deserves major love and credit alone for that.

Great post, i agree 100%
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2007, 12:20:27 PM »

2. His loyalty.   U can hear Record Execs screaming everywhere SEBASTIAN BACH? WHAT!!!!!?? he is a washed up 80's guy, U CANT HAVE HIM ON CHINESE DEMOCRACY......... U CANT SING ON HIS Album...... Axl however doesn't give a fuck about "THE COOL" thing to do cause he has and will always do shit HIS WAY

I would agree with that considering he did a recording session with Shaq. nervous

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2007, 12:48:27 PM »

My issue was always with people trying to annoint the new band greater than the old before an album ever came out and to me that was/is ridiculous.

some of us just think this is a better band, and that shouldn't be a big deal.   just because some of us say things like 'fuck a reunion' doesn't mean we disrespect or dislike the original band.   we have just come to love the band as it is now and dont want to see it messed up.   
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 01:52:21 PM »

some of us just think this is a better band, and that shouldn't be a big deal.   just because some of us say things like 'fuck a reunion' doesn't mean we disrespect or dislike the original band.   we have just come to love the band as it is now and dont want to see it messed up.   

So question , if this band disbands or new members are once again brought in. Will you like the new line up , or will you still hold this one dear to you're heart? Also Axl did session work with shaq?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 02:01:22 PM »

So question , if this band disbands or new members are once again brought in. Will you like the new line up , or will you still hold this one dear to you're heart? Also Axl did session work with shaq?

if this band disbanded and Axl got a completely new group of guys and I wasn't fond of them, one thing is for sure - I sure as fuck wont come to a GnR board everyday just to tell everybody i hate it.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 02:12:40 PM »

2. His loyalty.   U can hear Record Execs screaming everywhere SEBASTIAN BACH? WHAT!!!!!?? he is a washed up 80's guy, U CANT HAVE HIM ON CHINESE DEMOCRACY......... U CANT SING ON HIS Album...... Axl however doesn't give a fuck about "THE COOL" thing to do cause he has and will always do shit HIS WAY

I would agree with that considering he did a recording session with Shaq. nervous
It wasn't Axl, but just Dizzy and Paul Tobias. And it was more like jamming for fun, nothing serious.

if this band disbanded and Axl got a completely new group of guys and I wasn't fond of them, one thing is for sure - I sure as fuck wont come to a GnR board everyday just to tell everybody i hate it.

Great post!

I sure didn't like when Robin went out to rejoin NIN back in '99... Just because I loved his rendition of SCOM solo. Bucket joined, but I wasn't as impressed...

Since then, Robin didn't really let me down with his playing. Smiley

stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2007, 01:51:00 AM »

His tropical shirt!  Grin

(see rare pics section)!

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2007, 06:19:34 PM »

Hahaha.... yeah I agree with this.

While I'm really disappointed there's no album yet (or solid news about it), I genuinely like these guys in the band and don't come here just to complain about them.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
dafflovesaxl
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2007, 06:20:33 AM »

Whether any of us 'like' or 'dislike' the members of this band, or any other band for that matter, do you really think they will get new band members that a small minority may like!!

Like the members or not they will play regardless to what few fans think of their members, there will always be a balance of fors and against !!

Waste of time belly aching over who likes who I think, the main thread was 'what I like really like about Axl'.  You either like GnR or not - simple.

Roll Eyes

November_Rain
Loyal to death
VIP

The bittersweet honey of your eyes...

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2007, 06:32:43 AM »

I think Axl needs some balance as far as band leadership. It would be nice to have someone else making the band decisions in conjunction with Axl, but creatively, I trust Axl's vision will be great if and only if he fulfills it as he sees it.

Ali

You don?t know that, neither you nor any of us are with them to know whether the band decissions are only Axl?s or a global agreement.

Nobody will ever love you the way I do...
crazycheryl
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2007, 11:05:50 AM »

I agree with the loyalty and integrity part and knowing Axl is not in this for the money. Think about it people - if music is your life, at one point in time, even if you are making shit loads of money, you are going to say to yourself, if I am going to be doing this for a lifetime there has got to be more - whether that means going solo on artistic vision or taking 95,000 years to release an album. You have to do things to satisfy yourself at some point or you wind up unhappy.

Anyway, aside from his voice - I really love that about Axl. He has a unique, distinct voice, that I love, I love the fact that he is into new age healing. I think it's the wave of the future considering we are oversaturated with drugs from drug companies that often have side effects that make situations worse. And I've learned in life that tapping into your own inner strength is just about the most powerful thing you can do for yourself. I would love to discuss the techniques he uses.

I also love that he admits to his problems mentally. He seems just like one of the rest of us. Not that everyone suffers from psychiatric problems but knowing that he publicly admits he has issues to deal with makes it more real for me. I can understand some things better because I can relate.

Lastly, I like the fact that he has to consider the business side along with the creative side. Many new bands and stars don't think about this and get screwed over big time. And actually, as much as it sucks, you have to have business in mind to make a band work because it is so much more than just the music. Creative people and artists usually just want to work doing what they love and think the business will take care of itself or someone they trust with their business. In this day and age, there are very few people to trust and you must know something about the business so you don't  completely and ignorantly sign all your money away. Many of these reunion bands have done just that. They didn't manage their business end well enough to support them when their 15 minutes of fame was up, so they have to tour to make some money. Of course, some are rich and just doing it to get richer but I think most didn't plan the way they should have and wound up broke dick.

Take it sleazy folks! It's not what I really like about Axl, it's what I love!

Puking doesn't make me horny.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2007, 11:18:28 AM »

Ali

You don?t know that, neither you nor any of us are with them to know whether the band decissions are only Axl?s or a global agreement.
agreed and tommy said axl was trying to make it democratic as possible...
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2007, 11:53:25 AM »

refusal to do anything on anyone else's terms is not something to be admired about.

Depends on how you look at it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: