Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:32:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What I really like about Axl
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: What I really like about Axl  (Read 9087 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« on: August 20, 2007, 03:01:54 PM »

For a little while I have turned a bit to the negative dark side.

I will admit this, but mainly its out of frustration and other things that have nothing to do with anything about Axl or Guns.

Here are some positives though. Things that I truly like and things that make Axl the amazing,unique person he is.

1. I love the fact Axl isn't a Media Whore. I think a big reason there will never be a HUGE STAR or band again is due to the overexposure element. Stars these days are in EVERY magazine, they are on EVERY TV show, they give every interview, they guest appear on EVERY record.

Just check the billboard charts and u will see guys on 4 or 5 different singles. The public gets burnt out and fickle real quick. U have to make them miss u and want more.? ?Axl has a mystique  surrounding him that u can't fake or buy. A big Reason to me is not only his talent and charisma but his ambiguity.

Stars were made back in the day due to the mystique factor and the way u got to know them was through albums,songs, Music.

now u hear there opinions on everything from politics to global warming to whatever............

2. His loyalty.? ?U can hear Record Execs screaming everywhere SEBASTIAN BACH? WHAT!!!!!?? he is a washed up 80's guy, U CANT HAVE HIM ON CHINESE DEMOCRACY......... U CANT SING ON HIS Album...... Axl however doesn't give a fuck about "THE COOL" thing to do cause he has and will always do shit HIS WAY and that makes him also very REAL and great. The fact he can say FUCK U to people who may criticize a decision and go with his heart and what he wants without fear of being trendy or cool or now.

That is very very rare to find in someone, especially and entertainer whose bottom line is usually how much cash they can make.

This is the reason we will never see a reunion.? Reunions: Motley Crue, Van Halen etc happen for one reason and that is money.

Axl has never seemed greedy or in it for the money. He is probably one of the most real people in music history and that is something we will never see again.

Do I agree with everything he has done or is doing? Of course not

Does that affect in anyway my loyalty or support?? NOT ONE OUNCE.

Overzealous fans sometimes drive me crazy but Axl is an original and one of the greatest frontman/musicians of all time but its more than his vocals,music and lyrics that make him great.? To see a guy stand up and be real and not sell out in a profession where it is unheard of not to and is expected, I think he deserves major love and credit alone for that.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 03:03:30 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 03:13:29 PM »

Sounds like somebody has a man crush, that's so sweet.

The things I love about Axl are his promptness and his ability to meet deadlines!!

I got bitching about that but then i realized. Axl isn't doing it to be a dick or to be a whatever. Thats just how he is. He wants the album "HIS WAY" he doesn't care about Record Label A&R guy and his deadline, He won't release something till he is 100 percent satisfied and I think that is great. Its HIS ART, HIS ALBUM, HIS VISION, so he shouldn't release it till he is 100 percent comfortable with it.

Same with the tour. Its not like Axl says "HAHAHAHA Im gonna make these bastards wait 2 hours" I don't think he is arrogant at all, Its just his mindset and what he needs to make things go the best they can.

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 03:20:42 PM »

The things I love about Axl are his promptness and his ability to meet deadlines!!

There have been deadlines he hasn't met?

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
horsey
Legend

axl rockz my world !

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 05:24:43 PM »

funny it sounds like a deadacated fan too me.

the one an only horsey !
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 06:42:19 PM »

I got bitching about that but then i realized. Axl isn't doing it to be a dick or to be a whatever. Thats just how he is. He wants the album "HIS WAY" he doesn't care about Record Label A&R guy and his deadline, He won't release something till he is 100 percent satisfied and I think that is great. Its HIS ART, HIS ALBUM, HIS VISION, so he shouldn't release it till he is 100 percent comfortable with it.

Same with the tour. Its not like Axl says "HAHAHAHA Im gonna make these bastards wait 2 hours" I don't think he is arrogant at all, Its just his mindset and what he needs to make things go the best they can.

you sure change your mind a lot.  but i agree with a lot of what you are saying here.  good topic.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 08:55:34 PM »

I don't really change my mind. I have never been Anti Axl. I get Anti overzealous fan that puts down the old members but my support for Axl doesn't go away.

I get aggravated, frustrated and every other word that ends with "ated" but u have to admire Axl for his refusal to do anything on anyone elses terms.

RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 09:07:21 PM »

I don't really change my mind. I have never been Anti Axl. I get Anti overzealous fan that puts down the old members but my support for Axl doesn't go away.

I get aggravated, frustrated and every other word that ends with "ated" but u have to admire Axl for his refusal to do anything on anyone elses terms.

So by Axl being an asshole you admire him lol! I agreed with a lot of what you said earlier in the first post , but refusal to do anything on anyone else's terms is not something to be admired about.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 09:22:36 PM »

So by Axl being an asshole you admire him lol! I agreed with a lot of what you said earlier in the first post , but refusal to do anything on anyone else's terms is not something to be admired about.

I disagree.  When it comes to your own art, it shows the utmost respect for your art and the artistic process to do things your way and your way alone.  If the artist starts to listening to outside voices to the point where their views shape the art, then the art is compromised.

I think in the sense of artistic creation, refusal to do anything on anyone else's terms is to be greatly admired.

Ali
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 09:25:53 PM »

I disagree.  When it comes to your own art, it shows the utmost respect for your art and the artistic process to do things your way and your way alone.  If the artist starts to listening to outside voices to the point where their views shape the art, then the art is compromised.

I think in the sense of artistic creation, refusal to do anything on anyone else's terms is to be greatly admired.

Ali

That makes no sense , refusal to anything on anyone else's terms just translates to being an asshole. If Axl wants to do things on his "own" term thats great become a solo artist. Guns N Roses is a band , and its a band effort if everyone "refused to do anything on anyone else's terms" than it would be pointless because everyone would argue for their own way.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 09:42:26 PM »

I disagree.? When it comes to your own art, it shows the utmost respect for your art and the artistic process to do things your way and your way alone.? If the artist starts to listening to outside voices to the point where their views shape the art, then the art is compromised.

Ali

That makes no sense , refusal to anything on anyone else's terms just translates to being an asshole. If Axl wants to do things on his "own" term thats great become a solo artist. Guns N Roses is a band , and its a band effort if everyone "refused to do anything on anyone else's terms" than it would be pointless because everyone would argue for their own way.

No, it makes perfect sense. 

Slash once described GN'R's attitude as keeping one stiff leg out in front and not taking any shit from anyone.  Axl said that he caved in to pressure internally in Guns and externally in the press and the UYI albums suffered.

What I'm talking about is not compromising your ARTISTIC vision.  I'm not saying don't compromise on any matter, including interpersonal.  That would be acting like an asshole.

The band obviously is on the same page, so I think it's reasonable to infer that they share in an artistic vision that is likely led by Axl.

Protecting your art, your artistic vision and refusing to compromise on that does not in any way shape, or form translate to being an asshole.  It's called having artistic integrity.

Ali
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 09:43:22 PM »

I being a musician can really admire and respect Axl for his refusal to not GIVE IN to anybody's vision or opinion on who and what he should be. He is making music that he loves and is doing it how he wants to and won't let anyone hear it till his vision is 100 percent realized.

Fuck Time

Id rather the album be the way he wants it and hear it in 2012, th en get it in 2007 and it not be exactly how he intended it.

Ali
Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 09:46:08 PM »

I being a musician can really admire and respect Axl for his refusal to GIVE IN to anybody's vision or opinion on who and what he should be. He is making music that he loves and is doing it how he wants to and won't let anyone hear it till his vision is 100 percent realized.

Fuck Time

Id rather the album be the way he wants it and hear it in 2012, th en get it in 2007 and it not be exactly how he intended it.

That is what I'm talking about.  There's a world of difference between saying, "I'm going to make this record the way myself and the band feel is right" and being an asshole.  The music is of his creation and he has the right, he has every right, to make it as he sees fit.

Ali
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 09:48:14 PM »

I think there's something to be said for not compromising one's vision.

I also think there's something to be said for realizing one peson alone may not have a clear vision or the wherewithall to get a project from start to finish.

Double edged sword...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 09:49:57 PM »

I also think there's something to be said for realizing one peson alone may not have a clear vision or the wherewithall to get a project from start to finish.

Double edged sword...

beer I think thats what I'm saying just better put.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 09:53:09 PM »

Double edged sword...

I agree, it is a double edged sword.  But, my objection was to characterizing someone as being an asshole for not compromising their vision.  It may make them a pain in the ass to deal with, but it does not make for overtly hostile behavior indicative of an asshole.

Don't forget, that Axl has an extremely talented band with him and they all contribute to the making of the record, so they have assisted in the shaping of this record.

Ali
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 10:04:32 PM »

Don't forget, that Axl has an extremely talented band with him and they all contribute to the making of the record, so they have assisted in the shaping of this record.

Ali

While not getting into semantics of the creative process or talent level of the musicians involved, one is unknown for the most part and the other is subjective so I'll steer clear.

Make no mistake, whatever comes out of it all will be the bi product of one man's creative vison, clear or not.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Ali
Legend

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 10:37:30 PM »

Ali

While not getting into semantics of the creative process or talent level of the musicians involved, one is unknown for the most part and the other is subjective so I'll steer clear.

Make no mistake, whatever comes out of it all will be the bi product of one man's creative vison, clear or not.

Tommy Stinson has said that everyone contributes to every song by writing their own parts.  Axl doesn't tell them what to play.  Also, doesn't the fact that "Better", one of the most well received of the leaked demos, was called a Robin song by Axl say a lot?  While I'll admit that the talent level may be subjective, but what isn't subjective is what's on those guys resumes.

I have no doubts that Axl is steering the creative vision.

Ali
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 10:39:10 PM »

Great post D!  That's fucking dead-on.  5 or 6 years ago I had haters telling me Axl was just in it for the money...ha, right.
Ignorant bastards.  Financially, he's probably sabotaged himself several times in the last decade, but artistically he's never compromised...not one fucking bit!   peace
 beer

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 11:43:54 PM »

?  but what isn't subjective is what's on those guys resumes.

That's the issue Ali, none of them have had any creative success so to speak.

I have no doubts that Axl is steering the creative vision.

Again, double edged sword.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2007, 11:50:48 PM »

Ali

Ali

How can you call Axl an Asshole, you don't even know the guy. Roll Eyes

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: