Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 04:12:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228483 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  VELVET REVOLVER Confirmed For KROQ L.A. INVASION
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: VELVET REVOLVER Confirmed For KROQ L.A. INVASION  (Read 30757 times)
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2007, 05:07:22 PM »

and defintely not a GnR song which these peoples shouldn't be playing in the first place.

And why fucken not?? They were part of that legacy - they have every right in the world to play that song.?

I don't have a problem with VR doing GNR songs, I have a problem with Weiland singing GNR songs, he sounds horrible on them. I really enjoyed hearing Duff, Matt and Slash play Patience again when I saw them in concert but Weiland absolutely ruined it when he tried to sing the end of it, horrible. Maybe they should just do instrumental versions or let Duff sing them instead.

I always thought that Axl's great range allowed for these dynamics that created dramatic tension within the song.  Weiland doesn't have that range, so the songs lose some of their punch.

Of the three GN'R songs they do, "Patience" is the worst fit for Scott's voice.

Ali
CSS
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2007, 05:10:09 PM »

I wish that they'd do more Stone Temple Pilots material.

Why? Because it sounds absolutely top-notch... And more songs from (both) 'Contraband' and 'Libertad' wouldn't hurt either.

I'm not saying that their try at the GN'R songs are that bad, but it just doesn't seem to fit in there.
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2007, 08:53:41 PM »

I know some of you want VR to keep playing GN'R songs because it reminds you of the old days which will never come back no matter how much you wish. I wonder how many VR fans would like to see them play more GN'R songs or more of their own songs....

/jarmo

That's not it.  I don't feel that way.  They play more of their own songs, and that's what I like to see.  I don't go to see VR because it reminds me of the old days.  A few songs thrown in, from either previous band...so what?  That's great, too! 
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2007, 08:59:18 PM »

and defintely not a GnR song which these peoples shouldn't be playing in the first place.

And why fucken not?? They were part of that legacy - they have every right in the world to play that song.?

I don't have a problem with VR doing GNR songs, I have a problem with Weiland singing GNR songs, he sounds horrible on them. I really enjoyed hearing Duff, Matt and Slash play Patience again when I saw them in concert but Weiland absolutely ruined it when he tried to sing the end of it, horrible. Maybe they should just do instrumental versions or let Duff sing them instead.

I always thought that Axl's great range allowed for these dynamics that created dramatic tension within the song.? Weiland doesn't have that range, so the songs lose some of their punch.

Ali

Personally, I thought VR, with Scott, did a great version of Patience.? (thank God I'm only on the internet, so I'm far enough away not to receive a slap in the face for that comment!? ?nervous? ?Cheesy)?
Ali
Legend

« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2007, 09:36:11 PM »

I always thought that Axl's great range allowed for these dynamics that created dramatic tension within the song.? Weiland doesn't have that range, so the songs lose some of their punch.

Ali

Personally, I thought VR, with Scott, did a great version of Patience.? (thank God I'm only on the internet, so I'm far enough away not to receive a slap in the face for that comment!? ?nervous? ?Cheesy)?

I think the band sounded great, but the fact is that Scott does not have the range to do the outtro of the song.  That's the most dramatic and impactful part of that song so when you can't do that right it just takes away from the impact of the whole song.

Ali
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2007, 04:44:16 AM »

the whole idea of a singer covering a song, is to do it in their own way. Scott probably wouldn't sing it like Axl even if he did have Axl's range.
does Axl sound like McCartney on LALD, or like Dylan on KOHD?
he has sounded great on all GNR songs Ive heard VR do.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 04:48:09 AM by Hillel Slovak » Logged

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Ali
Legend

« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2007, 12:06:24 PM »

the whole idea of a singer covering a song, is to do it in their own way. Scott probably wouldn't sing it like Axl even if he did have Axl's range.
does Axl sound like McCartney on LALD, or like Dylan on KOHD?
he has sounded great on all GNR songs Ive heard VR do.

I understand that.

But, still, the point is that Scott's lack of range doesn't allow for creating the kind of dynamics that Axl did in the songs.  The songs fall a little flat without that.

Scott can do it his way, but I'm saying his way isn't as good as the originals.  At least, on "Patience".

Ali
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2007, 12:32:21 PM »

He can do Brownstone allright because it suits his range. He can almost do It's So Easy, but there's the trick of the final part. Same for Patience.

I'd love him to try a take on any of the new songs of GN'R though, he would be ridiculous hihi

He's just a crappy singer and frontman, and he will always be way behind Axl.

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
darth monkey
Beware: Can outwit all of you!
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2007, 01:15:37 PM »

Maybe some of the parts of some of the GNR covers don't sound vocally as good as if Axl was singing it but musically they sound amazing. I do agree that Axl has more range and is better suited for certain songs...but at the same time can you imagine what Axl would sound like on Set me Free?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2007, 01:51:28 PM »

but at the same time can you imagine what Axl would sound like on Set me Free?

Or Sex Type Thing, Interstate Love Song, Sour Girl etc.

That said, if Axl were in a band with the Deleo's I'd have absolutely no problem with him/them giving a go at any song from their back catalog.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Ali
Legend

« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2007, 03:44:56 PM »

Maybe some of the parts of some of the GNR covers don't sound vocally as good as if Axl was singing it but musically they sound amazing. I do agree that Axl has more range and is better suited for certain songs...but at the same time can you imagine what Axl would sound like on Set me Free?

I think if you gave Axl that riff from Slash, he would do something amazing with it.  His track record with the vocals he's written and recorded over Slash riffs speaks for itself.

Ali
darth monkey
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2007, 06:08:51 PM »

True, but he would not have used the same vocal range as Scott did which was kind of my point. Likewise I'm sure Scott would have come up with a different vocal arrangement on such songs as Patience that better suit him. I believe we were talking about covering a song as is.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2007, 06:59:05 PM »

True, but he would not have used the same vocal range as Scott did which was kind of my point. Likewise I'm sure Scott would have come up with a different vocal arrangement on such songs as Patience that better suit him. I believe we were talking about covering a song as is.

Axl has the range to cover the vocal parts in "Set Me Free", no doubt.

Ali
darth monkey
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2007, 08:29:56 PM »

hmmmm....no I don't think so. Or at least he has never demonstrated that he can go that low.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2007, 09:21:30 PM »

hmmmm....no I don't think so. Or at least he has never demonstrated that he can go that low.

Well, then you haven't been listening very closely to GN'R, man.  Axl is full-on baritone, I am a full-on baritone and I can handle "Set Me Free" easily.  Listen to Axl's vocal harmony on "Breakdown" and you'll know what I am talking about.

Ali
darkdays_01
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2007, 11:42:46 PM »

I think VR's version of Patience is pretty good. Weiland does a great job on Brownstone aswell. Although i would prefer Duff singing It's So Easy, He should have sung that song in GNR aswell imo. VR are a spotty live band when they are having a bad night it is pretty bad but man when they are on they are fucking smokin'.

I dont know what the hell the problem with Weiland singing the Guns songs are, it isnt any different than whats going on in "Guns" with the music. I am not even gonna get started on the BV's.  Although i do wish they would do more STP songs, if anything just to not hear the Axl swingers bitch.

As for Axl doing Set Me Free, he could pull that off. I have thought about that before, if you listen to parts of Set Me Free some of the vocals are quite similar to Axl's style.
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2007, 03:20:56 AM »

Is this a joke ? Do you own a GN'R album ? rofl

From down low to high pitched, Axl's range is like a fucking piano.

Long live GN'R.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2007, 04:34:35 AM »

Is this a joke ? Do you own a GN'R album ? rofl

From down low to high pitched, Axl's range is like a fucking piano.

not live. on most live recordings of ISE, I can't even hear him. I mainly hear Tommy (I think) on live recordings from this lineup, and Duff from the old lineup. he doesn't have a very prominent lower range.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
darth monkey
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2007, 09:39:07 AM »

I think the joke on this board is how great everyone thinks Axl is and that he can do anything. I'll get slaughtered for that but I don't really care. I'm an Axl fan he is a huge tallent but he's a person just like anyone else and doesn't deserve the God-like status that some of you give him. And as was just said Axl's range in the studio and live are two seperate things, and don't start to question me as to have I heard or listened to any of the material. I have all the albums and a ton of bootlegs and have seen them live.
Everyone sounds slightly different and I just don't see Axl pulling off Set Me Free as Scott did, just the way Axl does the end of Patience different than Scott. Vocalists are individuals and they are different, if they weren't music wouldn't be too exciting.
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2007, 11:15:28 AM »

I'm not saying Axl is God. I don't give a fuck about that shit.

But yeah, I say that he's an amzing singer / songwritter / performer etc. He's a great musician and vocalist.

And yes, He sounds a little different live than from the studio but that's normal because studio is a controlled environement and with live performances there's too many variable for the sound / voice to be 100% like the studio track. But still, what he does in the studio he can reproduce live.

Depending on the boot' there's versions of ISO where you can hear is lower parts crystal clear.

Weiland can't. Not even with a megaphone.

Long live GN'R.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: