Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 05:25:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Montreal show tonight
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Montreal show tonight  (Read 58123 times)
TK1
Headliner

« Reply #220 on: August 13, 2007, 10:03:59 PM »

I thought Scott sang it pretty well.  He will always be criticized because he can't scream like Axl, but I think he has a good voice regardless and does a great job with his range.  Just because he can't scream or hit high notes like Axl, Baz or Plant doesn't mean he can't sing.  I'm glad VR played Patience.  Just like I'd want to hear Baz play Skid Row songs if I saw him.  Simply put, I enjoy watching Slash and Duff play songs they heavily contributed to.  I don't want them to play 12 GN'R or STP songs a night but think a few are fine.  I'm betting the crowds at the show love hearing it too. On the other hand, I love hearing Axl and the boys play the classics as well.  I think we make this too much of an argument and should really just enjoy the fact both bands are out playing...
Chris Axl
All that I wanted was...
Rocker

Axl Got My Sunglasses

« Reply #221 on: August 14, 2007, 08:29:16 AM »

Velvet Revolver Montreal -Patience part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_GVwvlj4wY

Velvet Revolver Montreal -Patience part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADDiUXePoRE

Velvet Revolver Montreal -Patience part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiBapfAhXRg

thanks for posting, so it wasn't scott who whistled hihi he should learn the melody, cool anyway yes

that was just putrid.  awful vocals.   

oh come on man... even I think that performance was pretty good.

If I were you, I'd manage to abhor the invitation
Of promised love that can't keep up with your adoration
Just use your head, and in the end you'll find your inspiration
To choose your steps and w
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #222 on: August 14, 2007, 01:30:04 PM »

So let me get this straight, some of you actually think that the VR version is somehow "realer" just because Slash is playing, compared to the versions where Izzy (who wrote the song) played and Axl sang at GnR shows in 2006? 

Funny and absurd at the same time
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #223 on: August 14, 2007, 01:35:52 PM »

So let me get this straight, some of you actually think that the VR version is somehow "realer" just because Slash is playing, compared to the versions where Izzy (who wrote the song) played and Axl sang at GnR shows in 2006? 

Some also think it's better than the versions Izzy played on in 1991.....

Or Slash played on in 1992-93.

Some people just want to love VR so badly.

Neurotic Outsiders had Duff and Matt, but I never read these fans supporting NO like this.

Slash's Snakepit had Slash and Gilby (plus Matt on the record) in 1995-96. Same thing.

I guess it's because GN'R are back, these people feel they have to hype VR while they can.... It's apparent by the many appearances of the "at least they release albums" clich? in this section.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #224 on: August 14, 2007, 02:21:34 PM »

Neurotic Outsiders had Duff and Matt, but I never read these fans supporting NO like this.

Slash's Snakepit had Slash and Gilby (plus Matt on the record) in 1995-96. Same thing.

I guess it's because GN'R are back, these people feel they have to hype VR while they can.... It's apparent by the many appearances of the "at least they release albums" clich? in this section.

/jarmo

See jarm this is what I mean dude you come and stir shit up , ok moderate that is understandable but the whole

"people feel the have to hype VR while they can" shit is what provokes people. Yea at least they release albums , decent albums , axl has NO albums neither great nor crappy so that says a lot. We like VR because they are a good band that plays good music , if you don't like them whop di fucking do so what. For some reason when Slash and Duff want to play GNR its like OMG those bastards MOVE on JESUS CHRIST , but Axl does it night after night and to no ones argument its all fine. Don't give me well he is in GNR so he plays GNR , face the facts without Slash and Duff , most of what Axl does would not even exist at this point. Doing a tour and having no album out for 2 years does not constitute the word "back" for me.
darth monkey
Beware: Can outwit all of you!
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #225 on: August 14, 2007, 02:26:01 PM »

Yep...I don't understand this, I think most people have said they really enjoyed Patience and some may have said they enjoy it more than Axl's GNR, but I don't remember anyone specifically saying they enjoyed it more than the 1991 version or 1992-1993 version. That is putting words in people's mouth. That is something a few people are good at on this board, ok lets take something someone said, I'll add a couple of words in here and there and "Oh my God" look what they said, they're thrashing GNR  rant
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #226 on: August 14, 2007, 02:37:23 PM »

Yep...I don't understand this, I think most people have said they really enjoyed Patience and some may have said they enjoy it more than Axl's GNR

That quote right there is what I'm asking about, and getting a chuckle out of

This notion that Slash playing it at a VR show is somehow more authentic than Izzy (the songwriter) playing on it with Axl singing it is what I'm asking about

Slash didn't write the song and allegedly didn't even like it or want to record it.  But because "he's Slash" you have people acting like it's more genuine when he plays it, than it is when the guy who actually wrote the song plays it with the lead singer who made it famous, at a Guns N' Roses show no less  rofl
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #227 on: August 14, 2007, 02:38:16 PM »

thanks for posting, so it wasn't scott who whistled hihi he should learn the melody, cool anyway yes

musically? sure its a good version.   vocally? its garbage.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #228 on: August 14, 2007, 02:52:03 PM »

See jarm this is what I mean dude you come and stir shit up , ok moderate that is understandable but the whole

It's a fucking observation about the "fan community" I made over years and years.

Too bad if you don't like it or understand it because you just discovered GN'R last year.

I never saw this kind of support and hype for those bands I mentioned. Sure, some GN'R fans loved Snakepit and Neurotic Outsiders. But not many were saying they are better than GN'R.

Now it seems like VR is labeled better than GN'R out of spite. Because people quit the band. So VR has to be better to prove the decision to quit GN'R was right.

It's also funny how I get attacked for disrespecting the old members' input in GN'R or old band as a whole, which I've yet to see proof of, but at the same time people saying this version is better than GN'R's versions is just fine.

Please explain how saying this version is better than, for example, the ones Izzy played in 1991 isn't "disrespecting the old band"?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #229 on: August 14, 2007, 03:01:25 PM »

Please explain how saying this version is better than, for example, the ones Izzy played in 1991 isn't "disrespecting the old band"?

Its just making an unbiased observation. It would be far worse to say the original version was better just out of bias. It's like lots of people saying the Nightrain played during 06/07 tour was better than the original. Nothing disrespectful, just personal opinion.

I guess it's because GN'R are back, these people feel they have to hype VR while they can....

/jarmo

Or maybe its because VR are better than all those bands - if anything you've just proved its entirely unbiased. Why do you find it so hard to believe some people might like their music - even you admit you thought they were interesting for a while, some people thought they were even more interesting. If you seriously think people say the like VR to justify Slash, Duff and Matt leaving GnR then that's rediculous - for one thing nobody thinks VR as a whole is better than the original GnR. Praising this version of Patience is nowhere close to that. The fact they didn't like NO or Snakepit as much as VR is surely proof that they like VR because of the music rather than the personnel.

musically? sure its a good version.   vocally? its garbage.

Nah? it really isn't that hard a song to sing to begin with - he pretty much sings it the same as the original with a few lyric changes - calling it garbage is an exaggeration.   
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 03:13:51 PM by estrangedpaul » Logged

uzisuicide2002
VIP

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!?!?!?!

« Reply #230 on: August 14, 2007, 03:11:22 PM »

Guns N Roses with Axl is doing the samething Steven is doing in his band...BUT Steven does not call it Guns N Roses. Vlvet Revolver is doing abit of this a bit of that. Not calling them selfs STP, GN'R, Snake pit, Load or what ever the fuck other bands they were in. But playing everything and making albums and touring on them. NOT because slash duff and matt have been in a band for 10 years and just want to tour evey 3 years tell people they coming out with a album, then have no album out. Then going back on tour with no album telling them that it would be coming soon. Then Tour and can the last month of it to get the album out and then..what??? no album...but a tour...and still...no album...but this fall/winter...what? album??? no tour. rant

GN'R Boston 02
GN'R NYC 06
GN'R Mass 06
GN'R NJ 11
VR Mass 05
GN'R Foxboro 16
GN'R Boston 17
VR Mass 07
Slash Boston 10
Steven Adler NYC 11
Slash Foxwoods 14
Slash Providence 15
elcharlie
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #231 on: August 14, 2007, 03:17:51 PM »

i had the opportunity to see Velvet Revolver and Guns n Roses;  I saw DUFF,SLASH,MATT,DAVE,SCOTT. THEN i saw AXL,BUMBLEFOOT,RICHARD,FRANK, TOMMY, ROBIN, AND also DEL JAMES  that day they played in mexico, what more could i ask for. they are all great musicians, i have no complaints at all. i think im the luckiest guy!!! my dreams have come true in wtinessing all this.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #232 on: August 14, 2007, 03:28:42 PM »

2012 can't get here soon enough. All of this bickering and sniping is old and stupid. At least when GNR goes into the Rock Hall we won't have to listen to new Gnr is this, VR is that, Axl is GNR and all of the other non-sense that goes on around here. They aren't putting in Axl himself, they aren't putting the new line-up in, they aren't putting VR in; so at its core all we really do around here is argue about which band is less mediocre than the other when the original line-up is the only one of the 3 that is going to be immortalized. Neither Axl or Slash separately has reached the heights they did as a unit when measured by any discernable metric. So again, we are arguing about who sucks less, and it is poisoning this place. If 2 people make a million dollars a year each and split up so that one can earn 400,000 a year on his own and the other make 500,000 a year he is not some big winner. They are both losers because neither is making anywhere close separately what they made together. That is all we argue about here. We haven't heard anything from either band that is going to make people forget about Appetite or the Illusions any time soon, so let's just give this who is the best of the worst argument a rest already.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #233 on: August 14, 2007, 03:34:50 PM »

Yep...I don't understand this, I think most people have said they really enjoyed Patience and some may have said they enjoy it more than Axl's GNR

That quote right there is what I'm asking about, and getting a chuckle out of

This notion that Slash playing it at a VR show is somehow more authentic than Izzy (the songwriter) playing on it with Axl singing it is what I'm asking about

You quoted a comment about people enjoying this song more than the current GN'R version and turned it into a comment about which version is more authentic. ?That's ridiculous... and it would also make it an impossibility in your eyes for someone to enjoy a current performance of a GN'R song more than one from the original band. ?That's a preference.

As someone who's seen both the current GN'R lineup and VR perform this song live... I can say that I preferred the VR version. ?The atmosphere with the band sitting on the stage and the crowd's reaction (likely because it was unexpected) made the performance that much better and more enjoyable.

I also enjoyed Noel Gallagher's acoustic performance of Wonderwall more than the original when I saw it... Does that give you a chuckle because the original is more authentic with the full band and Liam on vocals?

Now it seems like VR is labeled better than GN'R out of spite.

I like how you guys take the stupid comments of one or two posters in EVERY SINGLE THREAD in this section and use it to drill VR and it's fans over and over... instead of making comments relevant to the people who are being level-headed about the whole situation (you know? the ones who aren't reacting like it's the end of the world that a fucking band changed it's mind about what songs it's going to play live on tour).

"Child Board" is right! ? Shocked
darth monkey
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #234 on: August 14, 2007, 03:55:36 PM »

What Easy E said is exactly right, I never mentioned the word authentic I said preference. Those are 2 VERY different words, but since I am a VR fan (and GNR fan) you have to interpret it as meaning something else, something anti-GNR when I did no such thing. All that I said is some people may prefer the VR version over Axl's GNR version, and some may even prefer one of these two versions over the live versions from 1988-1993.

I think people need to start reading posts a little more carefully, and perhaps even read them multiple times with a dictionary before retaliating to the post with the mentality that anyone who posts a message that is VR-friendly must be dissing GNR.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #235 on: August 14, 2007, 04:01:32 PM »

You quoted a comment about people enjoying this song more than the current GN'R version and turned it into a comment about which version is more authentic.  That's ridiculous... and it would also make it an impossibility in your eyes for someone to enjoy a current performance of a GN'R song more than one from the original band

It has nothing to do with people liking one version or another better, I don't really care because everyone's allowed their opinion.  But I do find it amusing that most of the same people in the online GnR community (not just this site) that are always complaining about how GnR songs just aren't the same without the old band and the current lineup isn't the "real" GnR, are the same ones saying that the VR version of Patience is better than the the version with the guy from the old band who actually wrote the song and the singer of the original version

A lot of these people are the same ones who get up in arms if someone says Buckethead's Nightrain solo is better than Slash's in the original.  That's what makes it funny.  It's sacrilege to say someone can play an old GnR song better than Slash, but they don't see anything wrong with saying that VR can perform the song that Izzy wrote and Axl sang better than Izzy and Axl can perform it.  It's a nice slice of irony
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #236 on: August 14, 2007, 04:02:30 PM »

What Easy E said is exactly right, I never mentioned the word authentic I said preference. Those are 2 VERY different words, but since I am a VR fan (and GNR fan) you have to interpret it as meaning something else, something anti-GNR when I did no such thing. All that I said is some people may prefer the VR version over Axl's GNR version, and some may even prefer one of these two versions over the live versions from 1988-1993.

I think people need to start reading posts a little more carefully, and perhaps even read them multiple times with a dictionary before retaliating to the post with the mentality that anyone who posts a message that is VR-friendly must be dissing GNR.

beer

Anything around here that starts with

Velvet Revolver

Slash and Duff

I Prefer

I like VR

is automatically a "slap in the face to the current members" and dissing GNR.
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #237 on: August 14, 2007, 04:05:09 PM »

You quoted a comment about people enjoying this song more than the current GN'R version and turned it into a comment about which version is more authentic.  That's ridiculous... and it would also make it an impossibility in your eyes for someone to enjoy a current performance of a GN'R song more than one from the original band

It has nothing to do with people liking one version or another better, I don't really care because everyone's allowed their opinion.  But I do find it amusing that most of the same people in the online GnR community (not just this site) that are always complaining about how GnR songs just aren't the same without the old band and the current lineup isn't the "real" GnR, are the same ones saying that the VR version of Patience is better than the the version with the guy from the old band who actually wrote the song and the singer of the original version

A lot of these people are the same ones who get up in arms if someone says Buckethead's Nightrain solo is better than Slash's in the original.  That's what makes it funny.  It's sacrilege to say someone can play an old GnR song better than Slash, but they don't see anything wrong with saying that VR can perform the song that Izzy wrote and Axl sang better than Izzy and Axl can perform it.  It's a nice slice of irony

At this point the only guitarist that has come anywhere near slash is Ron , I've never seen a guitarist with as much emotion and connection as Slash in his music. Did it ever occur to you that Slash made the guitar parts genius? There is no irony

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #238 on: August 14, 2007, 04:19:11 PM »

I like how you guys take the stupid comments of one or two posters in EVERY SINGLE THREAD in this section and use it to drill VR and it's fans over and over... instead of making comments relevant to the people who are being level-headed about the whole situation (you know? the ones who aren't reacting like it's the end of the world that a fucking band changed it's mind about what songs it's going to play live on tour).

Oh please.

I remember how I personally really wanted to like the first Snakepit album because Slash was on it. A GN'R member made a new album. I wanted to like it and I wanted to support it.

Same thing with Duff's solo album in 1993.

Then after a while you realize it's not really all that great....

I see the same kind of mentality in some posters here that I had at that time.

They want to like VR, so anything they do is just amazing.

You're a Slash fan for example, so you have to love VR. Even though the quality of what he's doing isn't even near the quality of the material that made you become a fan in the first place.

It's the same with all bands.

Before you say that I'm like that with GN'R, I can assure you that I don't have to force myself to like it. I hear the new songs and it sounds like an updated GN'R with all the classic ingredients that I always liked.

With VR, I hear it and I start thinking about STP.

/jarmo

darth monkey
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #239 on: August 14, 2007, 04:20:07 PM »

A song can be really different even if the original writter and vocalist perform it. How many different sounding versions of Patience are there from 1988 to 1993 or even for arguments sake 1993 (minus the 5 or 6 dates that Izzy played with the band filling in for Gilby)? The answer is several, and there were versions I prefered over others with the same cast of members. It had nothing to do with Slash being present then and it does not have to have anything to do with Slash being present or absent now. It's called individual preference.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: