Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 07:40:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Montreal show tonight
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Montreal show tonight  (Read 58310 times)
Red1
VIP

yeah, you probably have seen me around.....

« Reply #200 on: August 13, 2007, 06:44:28 PM »

I think VR did a great job.  Scott clearly changed some melody parts on purpose, those who think not are crazy.  Th eband kept it very close to the original which was nice.  I think Scotts vocals really suited this song (other than the outro) and he did a good job. 

There really should be no arguments over whether they should play it or not.  They have every right to.  The Slash comment about not playing GNR songs on this tour was obviously a slip and backtracked pretty quickly - I see no problem with that.  It's nothing new for any artist to say things that change.

For the idiot who said they play GNR songs to sell more tickets........... seriously?  C'mon.... you really think that anyone would buy tickets to a VR show to see them play 2 GNR songs?Huh??  That is ludicrous.

I hate that these things turn into rows.  I think it would be much more strange if they didn;t play any GNR songs.  The only issue that people really seem to have (and even this is nit-picking) is the fact Slash said they wouldn't.  They changed their minds man - no big deal.

I enoyed it.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #201 on: August 13, 2007, 06:46:55 PM »

Read the message I wrote and if your inteligent enough to come up with a response without swearing maybe I'll stop calling them the nuGNR, or I can just call them Axl's GNR.

you are calling teh band stupid names and you are stating your opinion as if it was a fact.  no sir, no one is going to take what you are saying very seriously at all.

I'm not saying I dislike the nuGNR, I am a fan and do support the band...
this is a contradictory statement

it's the fact that alot of the emotion in the guitar is now non-existent, the emotion in the lyrics remains, but without the two it isn't the same and never will be until the nu-GNR guitarists start to play with emotion instead of screading or playing with way too much distortion.
"emotion" is not something you can state as a fact.   Some may find Finck to be a more "emotional" player than the others.   Others may see that in Richard.   You guys use stupid terms like "emotional" and "raw" and state things like they are facts.  its all subjective.   
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 06:49:15 PM by Jimmy Bobby » Logged
darth monkey
Beware: Can outwit all of you!
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #202 on: August 13, 2007, 06:55:08 PM »

Holy crap...how old are you...5? I said several times in my post I was stating opinions, if you can't read properly you certainly shouldn't post. How is saying "I'm not saying I dislike the nuGNR, I am a fan and do support the band" a contradictory statement. In order to be contradictory I would have to disagree with something I said which I have not. I do support the nu GNR, have seen them in concert and will buy their album...that IS supporting the band. Just cause I call them a name you don't like for reasons that are obviously beyond your level of comprehension doesn't mean I don't support th band.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #203 on: August 13, 2007, 07:09:40 PM »

Darth, Bobby Robby takes the names thing serious.  Best thing to say is "Current" line up and "Classic" line up. 

It was hard for most to break the "nu" thing, but its easier to break it than hear Jimmy Booby bitch about the damn thing non stop. 

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #204 on: August 13, 2007, 07:14:31 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZYMvKaBufk

Jimmy Bobby, view the above link.  Its Scott's old band mates singing Interstate Love Song with new band (including a new lead singer) Army of Anyone.

So obviously, its okay for them to do it.  I have no problems, and niether should the rest of the GNR fans.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #205 on: August 13, 2007, 07:14:54 PM »

Jesuschrist dude, stop calling Guns N' Roses ''NuGNR''. It's a basic respect norm. We are here for Guns N' Roses, and this site is dedicated to Guns N' Roses. The administration of this forum BELIEVES in Guns N' Roses, and by modifying the band's name you're doing nothing but insulting the band and the GNR fans browsing this forum.

You are asking Jim Bob how old is he, but you act like an inmature little kid that cant accept facts.

I am a GNR fan, cause I call the nu GNR the nu GNR or Axl's GNR doesn't mean I'm a fan. I do like to distinguish the new lineup from the old.

Really? But you dont seem to have the need to distinguish the [original lineup] with [AFD's lineup], and the [Jan 1991/Dec 1991] lineup with the [dec 1991/march 1993 lineup], right?

You only feel like distinguishing when Slash is not there. Some people need to remember that Slash never called the band NuGNR when he (and the rest of the guys) fired Adler, when Izzy left the band, when Gilby left the band later, NEVER. GNR has always had lineup changes, but a bunch of resentful fans only whine when Slash is not included. And there's another thing that has to be remembered: Slash left GNR by his own decision. Same for Duff.

There are a lot of ways to distinguish different lineups. Because that's what changes: the lineups, not the band's name, like a million other bands like Metallica, The Rolling Stones, AC/DC and even there was a lineup change in The Beatles when Ringo replaced Pete Best. Do you hear people calling ''New Metallica''? What about Black Sabbath or Deep Purple? They had innumerous lineup changes, and no-one needs to mutilate these band's name. I am an active user in various GNR forums, I discuss GNR -all eras- and I have never needed to intentionally modify the Guns N' Roses name. The ''NuGNR'' is an elegant way to deny this band its identity. ''NuGNR'' is ''different'', is not ''GNR''. Am I right?

Accept it: this band is called Guns N' Roses, like it or not. Your whining will not change a damn thing. Find a million people to whine all together about this and that will not change a damn thing neither.

To me when they play the GNR tunes they are as much of a cover band as VR and I know I'll get jumped all over to say that. Just as Scott isn't as good as Axl on most of the songs he sing (although he does do a really good job), the nu-GNRs guitarists come no where close to Slash and Izzy (or Gilby) IMO. Does  that mean they shouldn't cover those songs? No, they should play them, they are a part of Axl's history and they should be proud and honored to play them, but that isn't my concept of what GNR was and how the songs that I feel in love with 20 years ago sounded, hense the name nu GNR. I'm an objective fan, I don't feel the need to kiss Axl's or Slash's ass. I think both have made some mistakes and mislead fans at times, but the bottom line is that both of them are also in the media spotlight and have had both of their words twisted as well by the media and by fans. No matter what I still enjoy the music from BOTH bands.

Let me put it this way: when Guns N' Roses played ''You Ain't The First'' and ''Patience'' at the River Plate Stadium the 16th of July, 1993... Were they playing a ''cover''?

Let's see:

Who wrote ''Patience''? Izzy Stradlin
Who wrote ''You Aint The First''? Izzy Stradlin.
Was Izzy Stradlin there? No.
Were Matt, Gilby and Dizzy at the GNR Lies recording? No.

Let's see how you manage to respond this question without contradicting yourself  ok

Black Sabbath with Dio now goes by "Heaven and Hell".  They are not allowed to tour under the Black Sabbath Banner anymore.

... And?

And Black Sabbath, if you dont know, was called Black Sabbath with multiple different lineups. Same applies for Metallica, AC/DC, Maiden, Stones and a lot of other mythical rock bands.

You're just giving an exceptional example, something that doesn't occur regularly, and that only applies in the present.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #206 on: August 13, 2007, 07:26:31 PM »

Estanbaf, it was a correction to the other poster that used them as an example.. I was just letting everyone know Dio in Sabbath is called Heaven and Hell now.  That is true.
darth monkey
Beware: Can outwit all of you!
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #207 on: August 13, 2007, 07:28:46 PM »

And here is another one that can't make an argument. I have to stop calling them nu GNR beacuse the administration of this board wants everyone to kiss Axl's ass? I respect Guns, I support Guns as much as alot of the die hard fans. Because in my opinion I believe this is not the same band as the orignal GNR and call them nu GNR means I'm not a fan and don't respect them. So this board is now supposed to dictate what I think and how I speak? I think some of you need to get out a little more, get a job or a hobby or something.

I will respect your wishes and will not call the nu GNR by the name of nu GNR anymore, henseforth I will refer to the nu GNR as Axl's GNR. ok
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #208 on: August 13, 2007, 07:36:07 PM »

Alright fellas, this is nearing lock city so get back on topic please.

To refresh all involved's memory, it's about the VR Monteal show.

Thanks.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
kingcanute
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #209 on: August 13, 2007, 07:37:54 PM »

Metallica actually changed their name yesterday because of a fan on a forum (what was his name again... darth something?) who wasn't happy they kept their name after losing Cliff and Jason respectively. So now they're Sgt. Hetfield's Motorbreath Club Band.

On a more serious note, this version of Patience was quite good, I'd say.  And if it pisses people off that they play GNR songs, I hope there's more to come! As long as they stay away from Ain't talkin' bout love, I'll go see them the next time they're in town.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #210 on: August 13, 2007, 07:39:09 PM »

I can just call them Axl's GNR.

Haha. You didn't call it that in 1991 did you?  Kiss

I have to stop calling them nu GNR beacuse the administration of this board wants everyone to kiss Axl's ass?:

On a more serious note, this version of Patience was quite good, I'd say.  And if it pisses people off that they play GNR songs, I hope there's more to come! As long as they stay away from Ain't talkin' bout love, I'll go see them the next time they're in town.

It lacks the emotion of the original because the guy doing the cover doesn't have the range needed to lift the song.

It just sounds kinda lifeless and bland...... Like most of their own songs.

I guess I just don't like his voice.  Tongue

/jarmo
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 07:42:39 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #211 on: August 13, 2007, 07:42:07 PM »

I am a GNR fan, cause I call the nu GNR the nu GNR or Axl's GNR doesn't mean I'm a fan. I do like to distinguish the new lineup from the old.

Really? But you dont seem to have the need to distinguish the [original lineup] with [AFD's lineup], and the [Jan 1991/Dec 1991] lineup with the [dec 1991/march 1993 lineup], right?

You only feel like distinguishing when Slash is not there. Some people need to remember that Slash never called the band NuGNR when he (and the rest of the guys) fired Adler, when Izzy left the band, when Gilby left the band later, NEVER. GNR has always had lineup changes, but a bunch of resentful fans only whine when Slash is not included. And there's another thing that has to be remembered: Slash left GNR by his own decision. Same for Duff.

There are a lot of ways to distinguish different lineups. Because that's what changes: the lineups, not the band's name, like a million other bands like Metallica, The Rolling Stones, AC/DC and even there was a lineup change in The Beatles when Ringo replaced Pete Best. Do you hear people calling ''New Metallica''? What about Black Sabbath or Deep Purple? They had innumerous lineup changes, and no-one needs to mutilate these band's name. I am an active user in various GNR forums, I discuss GNR -all eras- and I have never needed to intentionally modify the Guns N' Roses name. The ''NuGNR'' is an elegant way to deny this band its identity. ''NuGNR'' is ''different'', is not ''GNR''. Am I right?

Accept it: this band is called Guns N' Roses, like it or not. Your whining will not change a damn thing. Find a million people to whine all together about this and that will not change a damn thing neither.

To me when they play the GNR tunes they are as much of a cover band as VR and I know I'll get jumped all over to say that. Just as Scott isn't as good as Axl on most of the songs he sing (although he does do a really good job), the nu-GNRs guitarists come no where close to Slash and Izzy (or Gilby) IMO. Does? that mean they shouldn't cover those songs? No, they should play them, they are a part of Axl's history and they should be proud and honored to play them, but that isn't my concept of what GNR was and how the songs that I feel in love with 20 years ago sounded, hense the name nu GNR. I'm an objective fan, I don't feel the need to kiss Axl's or Slash's ass. I think both have made some mistakes and mislead fans at times, but the bottom line is that both of them are also in the media spotlight and have had both of their words twisted as well by the media and by fans. No matter what I still enjoy the music from BOTH bands.

Let me put it this way: when Guns N' Roses played ''You Ain't The First'' and ''Patience'' at the River Plate Stadium the 16th of July, 1993... Were they playing a ''cover''?

Let's see:

Who wrote ''Patience''? Izzy Stradlin
Who wrote ''You Aint The First''? Izzy Stradlin.
Was Izzy Stradlin there? No.
Were Matt, Gilby and Dizzy at the GNR Lies recording? No.

Let's see how you manage to respond this question without contradicting yourself? ok

Black Sabbath with Dio now goes by "Heaven and Hell".? They are not allowed to tour under the Black Sabbath Banner anymore.

And just about any fan of Black Sabbath definitly distingushes between ozzy and Dio.......at least the peple I know do
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #212 on: August 13, 2007, 07:47:11 PM »

And just about any fan of Black Sabbath definitly distingushes between ozzy and Dio.......at least the peple I know do

Again, on topic please.

VR/Montreal.

Lots of Sabbath talk in the "Bad Obsession" thread.

Thanks.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
madagas
« Reply #213 on: August 13, 2007, 07:47:25 PM »

Jarmo, I thought the first part was good.....he can't do the ending obviously. However, you have to admit, it took some balls for him to do that one. Huge Gnr hit with a VERY distinctive vocal on it. That literally is a classic Axl vocal.

Falcon would have still been heading for the piss stalls! Grin ok
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #214 on: August 13, 2007, 07:53:29 PM »

Jarmo, I thought the first part was good.....he can't do the ending obviously. However, you have to admit, it took some balls for him to do that one. Huge Gnr hit with a VERY distinctive vocal on it. That literally is a classic Axl vocal.

Falcon would have still been heading for the piss stalls! Grin ok

There is absolutely no doubt about that.

I've never liked the tune, a waste of setlist space to whatever band plays it IMO.

Although..

A majority of the fans at the Montreal show seemed to dig it so why get all goofy about them including it the setlist?

It's just a song, no need for anyone to take it as a personal afront.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

madagas
« Reply #215 on: August 13, 2007, 07:57:11 PM »

Of course it is going to get a good response.... Wink   you just crack me up with your no ballads rule.....straight rock. hihi
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #216 on: August 13, 2007, 08:03:36 PM »

Falcon, you are so hard core.. I love it.  If you are there with a girl on a date and can't get a kiss with the tripple header of Gravedancer, Patience, and ILS, you have no game!!!!  Ha!  I amfine with it.  I piss during big machine.  That may be the worst VR song ever.  YGNR needs to be added back!  Lack of video from this show is killing me!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #217 on: August 13, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »

Of course it is going to get a good response.... Wink? ?you just crack me up with your no ballads rule.....straight rock. hihi

It's not necessarily a rule, just a matter of taste. ?Never been a fan of the "acoustic breakdown" at a rock show, it's momentum killer for me. ?

I realize most fans dig it and it provides a breather for the band so as per your prior post, I'll continue to make my way to the piss stalls if it's a part of the setlist at a show I attend. ?beer

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #218 on: August 13, 2007, 08:09:07 PM »

everybody's saying that he can't do the ending and they like the first part the best.. i'm as usual feeling the opposite hihi

i feel that he "comes in" wrong in the verses and then it feels stressed, i don't care if that's on purpose or not.. the ending rocks though (that's also the part i like best overall as the whole song, whoever sings it)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #219 on: August 13, 2007, 08:18:25 PM »

everybody's saying that he can't do the ending and they like the first part the best.. i'm as usual feeling the opposite hihi

i feel that he "comes in" wrong in the verses and then it feels stressed, i don't care if that's on purpose or not.. the ending rocks though (that's also the part i like best overall as the whole song, whoever sings it)

What I like is that he atleast sings with some balls and conviction!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: