Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 07:26:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Montreal show tonight
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Montreal show tonight  (Read 58246 times)
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #180 on: August 13, 2007, 09:27:49 AM »

well, ask any casual fan who the original lead guitarist of GnR was and I bett 100% say Salsh, not Traci Guns hihi

Somehow I doubt they'll say that  hihi
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #181 on: August 13, 2007, 10:20:52 AM »

well, ask any casual fan who the original lead guitarist of GnR was and I bett 100% say Salsh, not Traci Guns hihi

Somehow I doubt they'll say that  hihi

lol that was funny  rofl how a simple mispelling can trow away your entire argument... that why I always preview my posts lol  Wink

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #182 on: August 13, 2007, 10:37:17 AM »

lol that was funny? rofl how a simple mispelling can trow away your entire argument... that why I always preview my posts lol? Wink

Than you're doing a poor job previewing your posts?? Tongue

« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 10:41:17 AM by Grouse » Logged
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #183 on: August 13, 2007, 10:46:22 AM »

lol that was funny  rofl how a simple mispelling can trow away your entire argument... that why I always preview my posts lol  Wink

more funny than hired/fired i see.  hihi

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #184 on: August 13, 2007, 11:01:11 AM »

Than you're doing a poor job previewing your posts   Tongue

lol guess I was owned  Embarrassed

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
elcharlie
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #185 on: August 13, 2007, 11:08:52 AM »

ok lets see

knocking on heavens door--------bob dylan
live and let die---------paul mcartney

who cares if they want to play covers,

velvet revolver-------patience
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #186 on: August 13, 2007, 11:14:35 AM »

Different Thread....Same arguments......

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #187 on: August 13, 2007, 11:51:20 AM »

Different Thread....Same arguments......

Yeah... Isn't it wonderful?

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #188 on: August 13, 2007, 11:59:55 AM »

That just shows that its not a GUNS N ROSES thing, its just on message boards we are all cynical/negative fucks who love to bitch about shit regardless.

Its like when u are on the interstate or freeway and there is a bad car wreck up ahead. we dont give a shit that people may be hurt or killed, all we care about is the fact we are gonna be late for work or late getting home.

We hate and bitch about Axl's setlist, we hate and bitch about VR's setlist.

So the negativity has nothing to with Axl or VR its just we are a collective group of negative assholes who can't be satisfied regardless. ok

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #189 on: August 13, 2007, 01:18:20 PM »

Somehow I doubt they'll say that? hihi

so i cant fucking type Cry
Pingouirose
Rocker

Here I Am !

« Reply #190 on: August 13, 2007, 02:05:51 PM »

Patience is awesome !

Scott do great job with GNR songs they cover  ok
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #191 on: August 13, 2007, 04:57:12 PM »

I am a GNR fan, cause I call the nu GNR the nu GNR or Axl's GNR doesn't mean I'm a fan. I do like to distinguish the new lineup from the old.

Really? But you dont seem to have the need to distinguish the [original lineup] with [AFD's lineup], and the [Jan 1991/Dec 1991] lineup with the [dec 1991/march 1993 lineup], right?

You only feel like distinguishing when Slash is not there. Some people need to remember that Slash never called the band NuGNR when he (and the rest of the guys) fired Adler, when Izzy left the band, when Gilby left the band later, NEVER. GNR has always had lineup changes, but a bunch of resentful fans only whine when Slash is not included. And there's another thing that has to be remembered: Slash left GNR by his own decision. Same for Duff.

There are a lot of ways to distinguish different lineups. Because that's what changes: the lineups, not the band's name, like a million other bands like Metallica, The Rolling Stones, AC/DC and even there was a lineup change in The Beatles when Ringo replaced Pete Best. Do you hear people calling ''New Metallica''? What about Black Sabbath or Deep Purple? They had innumerous lineup changes, and no-one needs to mutilate these band's name. I am an active user in various GNR forums, I discuss GNR -all eras- and I have never needed to intentionally modify the Guns N' Roses name. The ''NuGNR'' is an elegant way to deny this band its identity. ''NuGNR'' is ''different'', is not ''GNR''. Am I right?

Accept it: this band is called Guns N' Roses, like it or not. Your whining will not change a damn thing. Find a million people to whine all together about this and that will not change a damn thing neither.

To me when they play the GNR tunes they are as much of a cover band as VR and I know I'll get jumped all over to say that. Just as Scott isn't as good as Axl on most of the songs he sing (although he does do a really good job), the nu-GNRs guitarists come no where close to Slash and Izzy (or Gilby) IMO. Does  that mean they shouldn't cover those songs? No, they should play them, they are a part of Axl's history and they should be proud and honored to play them, but that isn't my concept of what GNR was and how the songs that I feel in love with 20 years ago sounded, hense the name nu GNR. I'm an objective fan, I don't feel the need to kiss Axl's or Slash's ass. I think both have made some mistakes and mislead fans at times, but the bottom line is that both of them are also in the media spotlight and have had both of their words twisted as well by the media and by fans. No matter what I still enjoy the music from BOTH bands.

Let me put it this way: when Guns N' Roses played ''You Ain't The First'' and ''Patience'' at the River Plate Stadium the 16th of July, 1993... Were they playing a ''cover''?

Let's see:

Who wrote ''Patience''? Izzy Stradlin
Who wrote ''You Aint The First''? Izzy Stradlin.
Was Izzy Stradlin there? No.
Were Matt, Gilby and Dizzy at the GNR Lies recording? No.

Let's see how you manage to respond this question without contradicting yourself  ok

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #192 on: August 13, 2007, 05:32:30 PM »

I am a GNR fan, cause I call the nu GNR the nu GNR or Axl's GNR doesn't mean I'm a fan. I do like to distinguish the new lineup from the old.

Really? But you dont seem to have the need to distinguish the [original lineup] with [AFD's lineup], and the [Jan 1991/Dec 1991] lineup with the [dec 1991/march 1993 lineup], right?

You only feel like distinguishing when Slash is not there. Some people need to remember that Slash never called the band NuGNR when he (and the rest of the guys) fired Adler, when Izzy left the band, when Gilby left the band later, NEVER. GNR has always had lineup changes, but a bunch of resentful fans only whine when Slash is not included. And there's another thing that has to be remembered: Slash left GNR by his own decision. Same for Duff.

There are a lot of ways to distinguish different lineups. Because that's what changes: the lineups, not the band's name, like a million other bands like Metallica, The Rolling Stones, AC/DC and even there was a lineup change in The Beatles when Ringo replaced Pete Best. Do you hear people calling ''New Metallica''? What about Black Sabbath or Deep Purple? They had innumerous lineup changes, and no-one needs to mutilate these band's name. I am an active user in various GNR forums, I discuss GNR -all eras- and I have never needed to intentionally modify the Guns N' Roses name. The ''NuGNR'' is an elegant way to deny this band its identity. ''NuGNR'' is ''different'', is not ''GNR''. Am I right?

Accept it: this band is called Guns N' Roses, like it or not. Your whining will not change a damn thing. Find a million people to whine all together about this and that will not change a damn thing neither.

To me when they play the GNR tunes they are as much of a cover band as VR and I know I'll get jumped all over to say that. Just as Scott isn't as good as Axl on most of the songs he sing (although he does do a really good job), the nu-GNRs guitarists come no where close to Slash and Izzy (or Gilby) IMO. Does? that mean they shouldn't cover those songs? No, they should play them, they are a part of Axl's history and they should be proud and honored to play them, but that isn't my concept of what GNR was and how the songs that I feel in love with 20 years ago sounded, hense the name nu GNR. I'm an objective fan, I don't feel the need to kiss Axl's or Slash's ass. I think both have made some mistakes and mislead fans at times, but the bottom line is that both of them are also in the media spotlight and have had both of their words twisted as well by the media and by fans. No matter what I still enjoy the music from BOTH bands.

Let me put it this way: when Guns N' Roses played ''You Ain't The First'' and ''Patience'' at the River Plate Stadium the 16th of July, 1993... Were they playing a ''cover''?

Let's see:

Let's see how you manage to respond this question without contradicting yourself? ok

Excellent point!

Another interesting aside from the recent RS story on GN'R:  Izzy explaining to Tracii Guns why they were keeping the name Guns N' Roses, telling him "it's just the name of the band."  Smiley  I love it.

In the end, it's all about where you draw the line, and that is subjective, is it not?

Ali
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #193 on: August 13, 2007, 05:44:30 PM »

To me when they play the GNR tunes they are as much of a cover band as VR and I know I'll get jumped all over to say that. Just as Scott isn't as good as Axl on most of the songs he sing (although he does do a really good job), the nu-GNRs guitarists come no where close to Slash and Izzy (or Gilby) IMO. Does? that mean they shouldn't cover those songs? No, they should play them, they are a part of Axl's history and they should be proud and honored to play them, but that isn't my concept of what GNR was and how the songs that I feel in love with 20 years ago sounded, hense the name nu GNR. I'm an objective fan, I don't feel the need to kiss Axl's or Slash's ass. I think both have made some mistakes and mislead fans at times, but the bottom line is that both of them are also in the media spotlight and have had both of their words twisted as well by the media and by fans. No matter what I still enjoy the music from BOTH bands.

Let's see:

Let's see how you manage to respond this question without contradicting yourself? ok

Black Sabbath with Dio now goes by "Heaven and Hell".  They are not allowed to tour under the Black Sabbath Banner anymore.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #194 on: August 13, 2007, 05:46:25 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgXIniBmSo4&NR=1

I got faked out by this clip.....  Its studio..  Not live.  But I do like come on come in.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #195 on: August 13, 2007, 05:48:54 PM »

To me when they play the GNR tunes they are as much of a cover band as VR and I know I'll get jumped all over to say that. Just as Scott isn't as good as Axl on most of the songs he sing (although he does do a really good job), the nu-GNRs guitarists come no where close to Slash and Izzy (or Gilby) IMO. Does  that mean they shouldn't cover those songs? No, they should play them, they are a part of Axl's history and they should be proud and honored to play them, but that isn't my concept of what GNR was and how the songs that I feel in love with 20 years ago sounded, hense the name nu GNR. I'm an objective fan, I don't feel the need to kiss Axl's or Slash's ass. I think both have made some mistakes and mislead fans at times, but the bottom line is that both of them are also in the media spotlight and have had both of their words twisted as well by the media and by fans. No matter what I still enjoy the music from BOTH bands.

Let's see:

Let's see how you manage to respond this question without contradicting yourself  ok

Black Sabbath with Dio now goes by "Heaven and Hell".  They are not allowed to tour under the Black Sabbath Banner anymore.

That's now, they weren't touring as Heaven and Hell back in the 80's now were they?
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #196 on: August 13, 2007, 05:54:17 PM »

Plus, they only changed the name to avoid confusion, so people wouldn't expect Ozzy, or any of Ozzy's Sabbath material
darth monkey
Beware: Can outwit all of you!
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #197 on: August 13, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »

Very easy to respond to that point, without contradicting myself like you believed I would. I've posted this here before, to me what drew me to GNR was not the vocal (although I do think Axl is an awesome lead singer). For me what drew me to GNR was the hard rock blues based guitar, which after Slash left it left to. Even when they cover the old material it has been replaced for the most part with different solos, and the blues based riffs are even somewhat softened and toned into a more harsh electronic sound. To me that was the GNR identity and why I call them the nuGNR because the music has changed, the only constant is the vocals. From the way you speak I imagine you were drawn to GNR for the vocals (that may be wrong I just assume that cause of your argument).

You have to understand that there was many elements in GNR that worked together, you can year it from the solo albums, Duff was more of the punk feeling, Izzy was more Stonesy, Slash was more blues based. I liked the different elements that were brought into the band. It wasn't the nuGNR when Steven or Izzy left cause they played the old members parts much like the old members they replaced, in fact Matt was an upgrade over Steven (IMO), but he still stayed true to the drumlines Adler had laid down already.

I'm not saying I dislike the nuGNR, I am a fan and do support the band...however, they did loose the identity that made them my favorite band once upon a time. They've changed, they've evolved, but not everyone will think the change is for the better. This is not a Slash vs Axl argument, it's the fact that alot of the emotion in the guitar is now non-existent, the emotion in the lyrics remains, but without the two it isn't the same and never will be until the nu-GNR guitarists start to play with emotion instead of screading or playing with way too much distortion.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #198 on: August 13, 2007, 06:02:26 PM »

I'm not saying I dislike the nuGNR,

stop

fucking

calling

them

nuGNR

until you stop doing that, yes it appears you do dislike them and no one is going to take your opinions seriously.
darth monkey
Beware: Can outwit all of you!
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #199 on: August 13, 2007, 06:05:11 PM »

Read the message I wrote and if your inteligent enough to come up with a response without swearing maybe I'll stop calling them the nuGNR, or I can just call them Axl's GNR.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: