Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 05:25:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Montreal show tonight
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Montreal show tonight  (Read 58121 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2007, 01:20:53 PM »

People on a GNR board aren't happy that another band is covering a GNR song?? confused

Why would anyone be happy that that talentless hack is "singing" a GNR song?

As much as Patience in any form sung by any person absolutely makes my ears bleed, not sure if the " talentless hack" comment is any kind of fair unbiased of educated characterization.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2007, 01:42:29 PM »

the guys have the right to play any guns song it's not a problem.
but they said they'll stop to play them but they don't + they add a new
one to their setlist...

kind of strange, hmm ?

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2007, 01:43:03 PM »

They Played PATIENCE, acoustic version.... Here is the setlist in no perfect order, as I did not take any notes....

Let It Roll
She Mine
Sucker Train Blues
Do It for The Kids
Superhuman
Big Machine
Pills, Demons, Etc.
Vasoline
The Last Fight
Interstate Love Song
Patience
Gravedancer
It's So Easy
Just Sixteen
Get Out the Door
Fall to Pieces
Set Me Free
She Builds Quick Machines
Mr. Brownstone
Sex Type Thing
Wish You Were Here
Slither

That is courtesy of MyGNR.

22 full songs and 8 from the new album. It is nice to see them extend the shows from the 15 song hour and a half that they had been doing for a couple of years now. This is definitely an awesome setlist. Hopefully they will keep it up and maybe rotate some different songs in and out to keep it fresh.

this setlist is awesome! 22 damn great songs... I can?t wait to see these guys!  peace

and for people complaining in this section about the setlist... I?ll give you the same advice as you do so many times in the GN?R section: these songs are for people who go to the shows... not for people sitting on their computers to complain about, and I?m pretty fucking the people who went to this gig loved it (Patience included).

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2007, 01:54:09 PM »

I think cause they are on tour with a huge band they need to bring on some  more of their hits so they stand out as a headliner.

But Patience isn't their hit.

Nobody associates that song with Velvet Revolver.

/jarmo

and none of the shit 'GNR' is playing is theirs , except for the same 4 leaks,  so what's the difference... I m glad they play patience, cant wait for the show in OCT

I'm sure the VR fans appreciate me giving out warnings for all the people who keep bringing GN'R and Axl into this section all the time.  ok

and for people complaining in this section about the setlist... I?ll give you the same advice as you do so many times in the GN?R section: these songs are for people who go to the shows... not for people sitting on their computers to complain about, and I?m pretty fucking the people who went to this gig loved it (Patience included).

Poor confused person. This is a Guns N' Roses site.

Nowhere is it implied that we have to support everything all the other bands do.

We support Guns N' Roses.

If they play Guns N' Roses songs at their shows, I don't see the problem. But if other bands craving to have their own identity adds more Guns N' Roses covers to their set, and it happens to be one of the most known hits, expect some people to raise an eyebrow.

You really need to understand the difference between coming to a GN'R site to bash the band and coming to a GN'R site to point out the fact that VR are adding more GN'R covers to their set.

Please stop thinking this is a VR shrine. It's not.

The VR shrine is here.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 02:05:31 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2007, 02:05:27 PM »

Actually it is quite different. Almost all the people you mentioned above sang in their respective bands, so people expect them to sing the songs they have always done. Scott was not the vocalist in GNR so no one wants to hear him sing those GNR songs. If they were doing instrumental versions of those songs then that would be great, but they aren't.

Believe it or not there are people in this world who like a band for more than just the lead singer. Slash became a cultural icon because of his work in GNR. People will always want to see him play the GNR music they love that he played on. As that review said, it was a fun nostalgia thing. People do expect them to play some of those songs, even though the ex-GNR members weren't the singer. With 3 ex members at least musically it is going to sound like what GNR songs sound like, and no one cares that Scott is singing them because it is cool to see Slash playing guitar. Just as when they play some of the STP songs no one cares that it is Scott and a band full of guys not STP sounding exactly like STP.

To argue that it is alright for singers and not others who helped write the songs is ridiculous. The principle is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with members of an ex-band playing covers of their old songs in concert. Were they to be recording studio versions and whatnot, then that definitely crosses the line. Giving the audience a nice blend of new material and the nostalgia they love though is hardly a crime.

I personally am happy those guys play a few of those songs. I never got to see the old band play, so it has been exciting to have been able to see Axl, Slash, Duff, Matt play the GNR songs which are my favorite songs (as they are my favorite band). I am not concerned with brand names and who owns what, I just know it is neat to be able to see the musicians who made my favorite songs play them live. The same goes for when they play the STP songs. They had a great run of popular songs through the 90's, and they are still played a ton on the radio today. Sexy Type Thing was one of the most fun songs of the entire VR concert I saw 2 years ago.

They have handled this the right way. It would be foolish to think that they don't have fans who got into them based on their past work. They also have fans who weren't really into either band I would guess. By playing 2/3 of their new album mixed with the GNR/STP stuff they are giving everyone in the crowd a little something. A 22 song set gives you plenty of freedom to make everyone happy as you can support your new material while offering a little nostalgia for everyone.

That model has worked for every artist I mentioned who use the same equation in regards to their new material mixed with their old bands favorites. The only people who would try and argue that it is somehow different in this case from every other act that has done a similar thing are those that feel the only member of the band that is important or relevant is the lead singer, regardless of how much was contributed by others in their old bands. History has shown that view point to be short sited and not accurate thankfully.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2007, 02:13:53 PM »

So you don't have any problems with them adding more covers to their set even though the lead guitarist clearly has stated they'd do otherwise?

You seem like one of those "objective" fans who see things the "way they are", but yet this doesn't cause any reaction from you.

I just wonder why.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2007, 02:19:38 PM »

i just find it ironic that neither slash nor duff had

A. anything to do with writing the song Patience
B. didn't even want to record it
C. One of both of these guys have stated their desire to stop playing GNR/STP tunes

yet now they are playing it  Lips Sealed
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2007, 02:21:55 PM »

I think cause they are on tour with a huge band they need to bring on some  more of their hits so they stand out as a headliner.

But Patience isn't their hit.

Nobody associates that song with Velvet Revolver.

/jarmo

and none of the shit 'GNR' is playing is theirs , except for the same 4 leaks,  so what's the difference... I m glad they play patience, cant wait for the show in OCT

I'm sure the VR fans appreciate me giving out warnings for all the people who keep bringing GN'R and Axl into this section all the time.  ok

Poor confused person. This is a Guns N' Roses site.

Nowhere is it implied that we have to support everything all the other bands do.

We support Guns N' Roses.

If they play Guns N' Roses songs at their shows, I don't see the problem. But if other bands craving to have their own identity adds more Guns N' Roses covers to their set, and it happens to be one of the most known hits, expect some people to raise an eyebrow.

You really need to understand the difference between coming to a GN'R site to bash the band and coming to a GN'R site to point out the fact that VR are adding more GN'R covers to their set.

Please stop thinking this is a VR shrine. It's not.

The VR shrine is here.

/jarmo

When did I bash Guns N? Roses??  Huh Huh I would be fucking stupid to bash my favourite band but alright then... if you say so... Lips Sealed
And what?s with that VR shrine thing? This is the VR section of a Guns N? Roses board isnt?t it? At least I thought so... what?s so wrong in defending the band when I think people ain?t being fair? I can?t? Or just cos this is a Gn?R board I have to sit still and watch, with the mouth shut, people being unfair and bashing the band all the time? I can?t do it? It ain?t allowed? I?m doing exactly the same thing I would do for Guns... react when I think people ain?t being reasonable. It?s just my opinion... its value is the same as anyone else?s on the board so I think I have the right to speak my mind.
And once again... if I wanted to leave and go to the VR board I would have done it a while ago, so there?s no need to showing me the link...  no As I said before, I?m not a VR fan but a Guns N? Roses fan, but that doesn?t mean I can?t like, enjoy, support and defend Velvet Revolver whenever I think I should. But then again, all this discussions end up in nothing so... whatever.

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Montrealrocks
Rocker

Get on board...or fuck off!

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2007, 02:26:17 PM »

I can't wait to see the singer who wrote Patience (since I can't name him, because it's a VR section) come to Montreal play the real thing here,  song that Velvet Revolver (I name the band since it's a VR section) played here yesterday...

rofl

@gnrworld on twitter

Montreal 17/05/88
Montreal 08/08/1992
New York 14/05/2006
Ottawa 17/11/2006
Quebec 18/11/2006
Montreal 27/01/2010
Quebec 01/02/2010
Quebec 12/07/2013
Montreal 14/07/2
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2007, 02:28:23 PM »

So you don't have any problems with them adding more covers to their set even though the lead guitarist clearly has stated they'd do otherwise?

/jarmo

Pesonally I would prefer not to hear the covers from any of the band members pasts for now.

However, dwelling on a change of mind/heart to have them a part of the setlist seems to a waste of energy.

Fans in general seem to appreciate them, why have a problem with it?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
RTK
Headliner

« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2007, 02:30:51 PM »

I can't wait to see the singer who wrote Patience (since I can't name him, because it's a VR section) come to Montreal play the real thing here,  song that Velvet Revolver (I name the band since it's a VR section) played here yesterday...

rofl

Actually, Izzy wrote most if not all of Patience, so if your talking about him, Im not sure if he has any plans to play in Montreal soon.
RTK
Headliner

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2007, 02:32:56 PM »

/jarmo

Jarmo, you'd make a great republican.  Or a good politician.
Montrealrocks
Rocker

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2007, 02:33:01 PM »

rofl

Actually, Izzy wrote most if not all of Patience, so if your talking about him, Im not sure if he has any plans to play in Montreal soon.

Yeah you are write....But u understand what I meant..Wink

@gnrworld on twitter

Montreal 17/05/88
Montreal 08/08/1992
New York 14/05/2006
Ottawa 17/11/2006
Quebec 18/11/2006
Montreal 27/01/2010
Quebec 01/02/2010
Quebec 12/07/2013
Montreal 14/07/2
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2007, 02:34:16 PM »

I'd wager Velvet Revolver doesn't give a flying fuck what people who aren't their fans think of this setlist. ? Cheesy
Montrealrocks
Rocker

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2007, 02:34:25 PM »

In another forum, some people pray that they play WTTJ.

THAT, I don't wanna see .

Scott Weiland singing WTTJ.

I could be wrong, but that idea is SO wrong.... crying

@gnrworld on twitter

Montreal 17/05/88
Montreal 08/08/1992
New York 14/05/2006
Ottawa 17/11/2006
Quebec 18/11/2006
Montreal 27/01/2010
Quebec 01/02/2010
Quebec 12/07/2013
Montreal 14/07/2
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2007, 02:39:40 PM »

When did I bash Guns N? Roses??  Huh Huh I would be fucking stupid to bash my favourite band but alright then... if you say so... Lips Sealed
And what?s with that VR shrine thing? This is the VR section of a Guns N? Roses board isnt?t it? At least I thought so... what?s so wrong in defending the band when I think people ain?t being fair? I can?t? Or just cos this is a Gn?R board I have to sit still and watch, with the mouth shut, people being unfair and bashing the band all the time? I can?t do it? It ain?t allowed? I?m doing exactly the same thing I would do for Guns... react when I think people ain?t being reasonable. It?s just my opinion... its value is the same as anyone else?s on the board so I think I have the right to speak my mind.
And once again... if I wanted to leave and go to the VR board I would have done it a while ago, so there?s no need to showing me the link...  no As I said before, I?m not a VR fan but a Guns N? Roses fan, but that doesn?t mean I can?t like, enjoy, support and defend Velvet Revolver whenever I think I should. But then again, all this discussions end up in nothing so... whatever.

I tried explaining the difference in between whining about a GN'R setlist on this GN'R board and mentioning how this VR band are adding more GN'R songs to their set on this GN'R board.

If you really try hard enough, I bet you can see that there's a difference.

I'd wager Velvet Revolver doesn't give a flying fuck what people who aren't their fans think of this setlist.   Cheesy

Neither do I.

But it's funny how Slash says one thing and the opposite happens with no reaction from the VR fans. Cheesy

/jarmo
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 02:45:27 PM by jarmo » Logged

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2007, 02:47:01 PM »

/jarmo

actually since then they changed their minds on the matter

?It?s true I said we would never play old Guns songs again,? says Slash as he puts down his guitar and lights another of a seemingly never-ending supply of cigarettes.

?That?s because I didn?t want us to feel obligated to play old Guns and Stone Temple Pilot?s tracks. In the same way Pete Townshend didn?t want to smash his guitar every night, it?s the same for us. But then we also missed doing it. They?re fun and we were responsible for all those great songs. So yes, on this tour and on some nights, when we feel like it, we will play some of the old songs.?

Now i don't call myself a fan of VR though i like some songs and they were pretty cool live, I'm a fan of duff and i like slash when he's onstage. You know my opinion on the "new" GNR so what i say next is not a bash.. I don't get what's wrong with a band playing some songs that the crowds knows and love, that's IMO a great thing..
I know a braided red-head that does that exact thing and there's people who prais him for it then bashes VR for doing it, and there's people who does the same but opposite.

Thank you all.
Montrealrocks
Rocker

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2007, 02:48:32 PM »

it's like when he said he never went to Axl's house that night couple of years back....

Just to say he did... couple of months after

@gnrworld on twitter

Montreal 17/05/88
Montreal 08/08/1992
New York 14/05/2006
Ottawa 17/11/2006
Quebec 18/11/2006
Montreal 27/01/2010
Quebec 01/02/2010
Quebec 12/07/2013
Montreal 14/07/2
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2007, 02:55:21 PM »

it's like when he said he never went to Axl's house that night couple of years back....

Just to say he did... couple of months after

that's what some VR fans call integrity  hihi

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
bart123
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2007, 03:20:14 PM »

Axl said CD would be out in '02.

Patience?

Maybe next leg they can add Paradise City. I heard it's a great way to end a show.

/jarmo

why not.sure velvet revolver is more gnr than than the new gnr are.its axl with a BUNCH OF HIRED MUSICANS that could get the sac any minute,hence the word NEW gnr.ha wouldnt mind see vr do paradice city.actually a few months back slash duff and matt played on camp freddy with the singer from linkin park,thay played paradise city and it was way better than any version the new gnr have done.awsome set list by velvet revolver.cant wait to see them live again with the new album of fresh material.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: