Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 07:44:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Montreal show tonight
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Montreal show tonight  (Read 58337 times)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 10:49:54 AM »

I always thought Patience would be a good GNR song for scott to sing vs. UTLH.

I think cause they are on tour with a huge band they need to bring on some  more of their hits so they stand out as a headliner.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 11:04:43 AM »

I think cause they are on tour with a huge band they need to bring on some  more of their hits so they stand out as a headliner.

But Patience isn't their hit.

Nobody associates that song with Velvet Revolver.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 11:20:44 AM »

patience and interstate love song..........now i feel really shafted, should have got tickets  Tongue
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2007, 11:28:22 AM »

I think cause they are on tour with a huge band they need to bring on some? more of their hits so they stand out as a headliner.

/jarmo

But they do associate it with it's members...
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2007, 11:33:44 AM »

When they play those STP and GNR songs it is not like they are doing anything that artists like Roger Waters, Paul McCartney, Sebastian Bach, Robert Plant & Jimmy Page, and countless other acts haven't done by playing songs they were a part of writing even though they aren't in said band anymore. 99.8% of the general public want to hear those songs and see the people who helped write them play them, they aren't concerned they aren't in those bands anymore or touring under that brand name. It is not like those guys ceased to be apart of those songs just because they are doing different things now.

We can debate about the covers issue all we want, but it is not like they are hiding from playing their new material. 8 out of 12 songs from the new album is about as much new stuff as any act out there is playing, so it is not like the new covers have come at the expense of playing their new stuff. 22 songs is pretty darn good, and I think more fans probably left the shows last night thinking how cool the show was and not pissed off that they were playing covers from their previous bands.
slashBOG
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2007, 11:35:38 AM »

I think cause they are on tour with a huge band they need to bring on some? more of their hits so they stand out as a headliner.

/jarmo

and none of the shit 'GNR' is playing is theirs , except for the same 4 leaks,  so what's the difference... I m glad they play patience, cant wait for the show in OCT
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2007, 11:48:42 AM »

and none of the shit 'GNR' is playing is theirs , except for the same 4 leaks,  so what's the difference...

One has the GNR brand name, the other does not. That is the difference.
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2007, 11:53:32 AM »

When they play those STP and GNR songs it is not like they are doing anything that artists like Roger Waters, Paul McCartney, Sebastian Bach, Robert Plant & Jimmy Page, and countless other acts haven't done by playing songs they were a part of writing even though they aren't in said band anymore. 99.8% of the general public want to hear those songs and see the people who helped write them play them, they aren't concerned they aren't in those bands anymore or touring under that brand name. It is not like those guys ceased to be apart of those songs just because they are doing different things now.

We can debate about the covers issue all we want, but it is not like they are hiding from playing their new material. 8 out of 12 songs from the new album is about as much new stuff as any act out there is playing, so it is not like the new covers have come at the expense of playing their new stuff. 22 songs is pretty darn good, and I think more fans probably left the shows last night thinking how cool the show was and not pissed off that they were playing covers from their previous bands.

Very well put

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2007, 12:07:18 PM »

Jarmo, I agree...  but, they are giving the fans what they want...  A long as show, filled with hits from their previous bands...  22 songs is your money's worth! 

My point was AIC has a ton of big hits...  They had a good amount of Albums.  VR's catolague is not that big, so for them to add 2 new gems like Patience and Interstate Love Song is really cool! 

I saw ZZ Top play "Foxy Lady" the other night cause Hendrix loved Billy Gibbons and Billy was a fan of Hendrix... 

Its okay, nobody was hurt and everyone probably loved it!
Montrealrocks
Rocker

Get on board...or fuck off!

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2007, 12:11:35 PM »

oh yeah...and by the way, there was only 5000 people attending the show...So all the Axl-haters journalists can suck on that.  GnR filled up in Quebec city in November without Slash...lol

Basically, who needs who?

@gnrworld on twitter

Montreal 17/05/88
Montreal 08/08/1992
New York 14/05/2006
Ottawa 17/11/2006
Quebec 18/11/2006
Montreal 27/01/2010
Quebec 01/02/2010
Quebec 12/07/2013
Montreal 14/07/2
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2007, 12:13:31 PM »

[quoteso for them to add 2 new gems like Patience and Interstate Love Song is really cool!]

A review of the show I read said those were done as an acoustic type set midway through the show. I suspect they are doing that as a way of taking a break without taking a break because those aren't the hardest songs in the world to play and aren't very taxing vocally. I hope someone has some audio out there somewhere.

Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2007, 12:14:15 PM »

Locked and loaded
Velvet revolver hits target with new material and old hits
T'CHA DUNLEVY, The Gazette
Published: 26 minutes ago

Rock history can be revived - and revisited - in many ways. Velvet Revolver brought its arena-rock cross-pollination to the Bell Centre Theatre last night before a crowd of 5,000.

The group is a combination of Guns N' Roses veterans (Slash, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum) with former Stone Temple Pilots leader Scott Weiland. In the opening slot was '90s grunge act Alice In Chains, with newcomer William DuVall taking the place of the band's late singer Layne Staley, who died in 2002 of a drug overdose.

Velvet Revolver has been at this for a while. The group is now touring for its second album Libertad, the follow-up to 2003's Contraband. The new release finds the band further refining its disparate influences - Weiland's alt-rock pomp and GNR's balls-out rawk.

The mixture went down smoother this time around. The songs on Libertad exhibit a more carefree attitude, which carried over into last night's show. While the band was equally animated in its 2005 Bell Centre appearance, last night everything just seemed to gel more, as if, with two albums under its belt, Velvet Revolver is finding its groove.

That groove is deeply rooted in over-the-top rock 'n' roll. Weiland has never been one to hold back, ditto for his GNR comrades. To wit, yesterday's set (immediately preceded by NWA's Straight Outta Compton blasting over the PA) began with the wail of Slash's guitar, leading into the turbo-charged liftoff of the new album's first song, Let It Roll.

"Montreal! We are Velvet Revolver and we always will play motherf---in' rock 'n' roll," Weiland howled, a few songs in.

The banter continued a while later: "For those of you who watch too much American Idol, that's not what you're going to get here. If you're offended by what you hear or what you see, you're not going to get a refund."

With that, his shirt came off and the band was into Big Machine, the fifth in a string of songs off its first album. It was an empty taunt - there was little offensive about this show, unless you find classic rock shenanigans to be an assault on moral rectitude.

Catering to the nostalgic in the audience (of which there were many), renditions of a couple of songs from each of the STP (Vasoline, Interstate Love Song) and GNR (Patience, It's So Easy) back-catalogues were played, many during a mid-show acoustic set. These drew some of the biggest cheers - proof that new material is nice and all, but fans love to hear the old hits.

Alice In Chains sounded solid in its early set, but there was something (or someone) noticeably absent from the band's performance. A big part of the group's mystique was embodied in Staley's troubled persona. Without him, despite DuVall's best efforts, and the presence of original guitarist Jerry Cantrell, drummer Sean Kinney, and bassist Mike Inez (who joined in 1993), the performance came off as little more than a well-meaning tribute concert.

tdunlevy@

thegazette.canwest.com

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...b5-bb35574ee36e
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2007, 12:16:15 PM »

When they play those STP and GNR songs it is not like they are doing anything that artists like Roger Waters, Paul McCartney, Sebastian Bach, Robert Plant & Jimmy Page,

Actually it is quite different. Almost all the people you mentioned above sang in their respective bands, so people expect them to sing the songs they have always done. Scott was not the vocalist in GNR so no one wants to hear him sing those GNR songs. If they were doing instrumental versions of those songs then that would be great, but they aren't.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2007, 12:16:24 PM »

/jarmo

and none of the shit 'GNR' is playing is theirs , except for the same 4 leaks,  so what's the difference... I m glad they play patience, cant wait for the show in OCT

they play Guns N Roses songs at a Guns N Roses show.   but again, GnR has nothing to do with this topic.
deffu2
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2007, 12:31:40 PM »

Nice to see a longer set list. I think this is the longest set that the band has played. Would love to see a recording of this show appear. Get set with awesome songs.
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2007, 12:58:29 PM »

People on a GNR board aren't happy that another band is covering a GNR song?? confused

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2007, 01:00:46 PM »

oh yeah...and by the way, there was only 5000 people attending the show...So all the Axl-haters journalists can suck on that.  GnR filled up in Quebec city in November without Slash...lol

Basically, who needs who?

This is the Velvet Revolver forum. Why bring Axl/GNR into it?

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Agno
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2007, 01:02:31 PM »

Awesome news!! I hope we can get some media from patience soon  peace

Don't understand why people are talking shit about this! To those who talk shit, Fuck you!
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2007, 01:04:27 PM »

Don't understand why people are talking shit about this! To those who talk shit, Fuck you!

Succinctly put. Smiley

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2007, 01:13:47 PM »

People on a GNR board aren't happy that another band is covering a GNR song?? confused

Why would anyone be happy that that talentless hack is "singing" a GNR song?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: