Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 03:25:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Help on Rocket Queen & Patience
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help on Rocket Queen & Patience  (Read 18260 times)
keithos27
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: August 07, 2007, 04:34:52 PM »

Hey everyone.  Can some of you more experienced board members point out some info on Rocket Queen and Patience?  These are two of my favorite GNR songs and I always like to know the stories behind the music whenever possible.  Some things I already have learned:

- Rocket Queen featues real acoustics of Axl having sex with a g/f of Steven Adler at the time.  She did it to get back at Adler for cheating on him. 
- Rocket Queen changes over to a "happier sounding" beat because Axl wanted to end the album on a happy note.
- Patience features Axl's ex-wife in the video.

That's all the little tidbits I know at the moment.  Any other little facts would be much appreciated... any quotes on what band members have to say about the songs, etc.

Cheers,
Keith
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 04:36:44 PM »

theres actually a story on Rocket Queen published in the recent Rolling Stone I believe about Rocket Queen.

Patience was primarily an Izzy song.  Slash and Duff didn't want to do it.
keithos27
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 04:40:51 PM »

theres actually a story on Rocket Queen published in the recent Rolling Stone I believe about Rocket Queen.

Patience was primarily an Izzy song.? Slash and Duff didn't want to do it.

i'll have to read the article... i thought it just touched upon the whole "sex noises" thing?

didn't realize slash and duff didn't want to do patience... any particular reason?

they are both very moving songs for me... as well as "think about you".
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 04:43:20 PM »

yea it was all about the sex noises, I believe it was an interview with the lady who made the noises.

not sure why Slash and Duff didn't want to do Patience, but according to Axl in Albany 2002 they argued with him and at first refused to do it..  guess we dont really know but thats what Axl claimed.   

Think About You is also an Izzy song.   smoking  I believe he plays lead in that one.
keithos27
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 04:45:38 PM »

i must really like izzy love songs then, hehe.  when i saw gnr last year in nyc (twice!) it reminded me of when i used to borrow my cousin's tape of AFD and listen to it non-stop (i was 8 at the time, 26 now).  if only i was "old enough" and "rich enough" to appreciate the band back in their heyday... i would have gone to so many concerts...  at least i can say i saw them in my lifetime... with izzy there at one of the shows!  hopefully i catch them again some time soon.

keep the facts coming friends!  Smiley
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 04:45:50 PM »

Patience was primarily an Izzy song.  Slash and Duff didn't want to do it.

i'll have to read the article... i thought it just touched upon the whole "sex noises" thing?

didn't realize slash and duff didn't want to do patience... any particular reason?

they are both very moving songs for me... as well as "think about you".

Yea what Axl claims , I doubt its a fact for sure. I know that think about you slash said was difficult for him to play , because of the way izzy structured it and stuff it was a little unorthodox in his playing. Izzy plays lead in it and wrote it for the most part. Rocket Queen used to sound a lot different in like 85...and umm yea
keithos27
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 04:47:26 PM »

Rocket Queen used to sound a lot different in like 85...and umm yea

what do you mean?  you mean it was just such a "different" sounding song for back in 85 or it was played differently in 85 as opposed to how it is played now?
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 04:47:47 PM »

I read a tidbit about patience, a long time ago that said:

The lyrics for the last part of the song were totally different... But Izzy forgot them, so when it came time to record, he made up some new ones....
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 04:48:57 PM »

what do you mean?  you mean it was just such a "different" sounding song for back in 85 or it was played differently in 85 as opposed to how it is played now?

The build up , from the normal part to the harder riff was a little bit different and I think the lyrics hadn't been planned out as much , youtube has some early vids that are interesting.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 04:49:36 PM »

There was an awesome article a couple of months ago posted in the VR section i think, where slash went through how he remembered the recording of AFD

I searched for it but couldn't find it (maybe it was deleted because it contained scans from the magazine)

if anyone can find it, it would be awesome yes
keithos27
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 04:50:34 PM »

what do you mean?? you mean it was just such a "different" sounding song for back in 85 or it was played differently in 85 as opposed to how it is played now?

The build up , from the normal part to the harder riff was a little bit different and I think the lyrics hadn't been planned out as much , youtube has some early vids that are interesting.

really!?!?  if you happen to have time to post some URLs i would appreciate it... i'll search on youtube as well, of course.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 04:51:01 PM »

i must really like izzy love songs then, hehe.  when i saw gnr last year in nyc (twice!) it reminded me of when i used to borrow my cousin's tape of AFD and listen to it non-stop (i was 8 at the time, 26 now).  if only i was "old enough" and "rich enough" to appreciate the band back in their heyday... i would have gone to so many concerts...  at least i can say i saw them in my lifetime... with izzy there at one of the shows!  hopefully i catch them again some time soon.

keep the facts coming friends!  Smiley

i was at the same show - izzy's first onstage appearance with Axl in almost 14 years.  and i'm 26  peace 

i wanted to see the band back on the metallica tour but my mom wouldnt let me go Sad   but i made up for it last year.  Smiley
keithos27
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 04:53:14 PM »

i was at the same show - izzy's first onstage appearance with Axl in almost 14 years.? and i'm 26? peace?
? ?
i wanted to see the band back on the metallica tour but my mom wouldnt let me go Sad? ?but i made up for it last year.? Smiley

haha rock on!  dude how sick was that show!?!?  i saw the one on mother's day too where sebastian bach did a duet on "my michelle"... i *think* that was the first time they had done that, correct (didn't axl claim that he burried a 13 year hatchet with sebastian the day prior because he needed vocal chord help or something like that...)?  and a couple of victoria's secret models were there that night... hotness!  Smiley
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 04:54:59 PM »

(didn't axl claim that he burried a 13 year hatchet with sebastian the day prior because he needed vocal chord help or something like that...)??

man don't go off topic in your own thread,, anyway, no i don't think there ever were a hatchet to bury between the 2.. just that they hadn't spoken in since early 90's
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 04:56:10 PM »

Here is a demo of rocket queen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpdWYTAbHOM

You can hear slash doing some octave bends that he doesn't do , and the build up part is a different. Duff is really hitting some sweet bass fills.

Here is a live version from Roxy of 86

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdf3bkguvdM

and another one from the same year I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-dSQGcEhVI , you can hear their idea but it isn't quite the song we know today but still jaw dropping!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 04:59:21 PM by RageNirvanaNIN » Logged
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 04:59:15 PM »

www.GNRsource.com is you friend in these cases  beer

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
keithos27
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 05:05:31 PM »

www.GNRsource.com is you friend in these cases? beer

sweet website, thank you.
CheapJon
Legend

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 05:06:04 PM »

thanks for the demo of RQ, R.N.N.

damn i love RQ and that demo was awesome, the slightly changed ending is purty damn cool smoking
keithos27
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 05:24:14 PM »

thanks for the demo of RQ, R.N.N.

+1 thank you
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 05:29:11 PM »

Hey everyone.? Can some of you more experienced board members point out some info on Rocket Queen and Patience?? These are two of my favorite GNR songs and I always like to know the stories behind the music whenever possible.? Some things I already have learned:

- Rocket Queen featues real acoustics of Axl having sex with a g/f of Steven Adler at the time.? She did it to get back at Adler for cheating on him.?
- Rocket Queen changes over to a "happier sounding" beat because Axl wanted to end the album on a happy note.
- Patience features Axl's ex-wife in the video.

That's all the little tidbits I know at the moment.? Any other little facts would be much appreciated... any quotes on what band members have to say about the songs, etc.

Cheers,
Keith

Where is Axl's ex-wife (Erin Everly I'm assuming) in the Patience video?  I never remember seeing her.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: