Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 03, 2024, 04:31:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228145 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Libertad debuts well below Contraband
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Libertad debuts well below Contraband  (Read 92056 times)
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2007, 03:30:31 PM »

would they release Messages as a single and they would sell and sell and sell and sell........

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2007, 03:43:44 PM »

I think it will just be a critically acclaimed album like Exile on Main St. was.  No big hits, just a lot of good tunes.  I am happy with it.  The band is happy with it.  Its okay.  As the tour progresses, album sales will pick up.

Please for the love of god, don't compare that pile of crap to Exile on Main St. Libertad is Nowhere as near as good of an album as anything the Stones have released

I agree.  But exhile had 0 hits on it. 

Tumbling Dice

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2007, 04:00:57 PM »

Contraband came out 2 years ago

I dont think the industry has declined THAT MUCH

weak first singles kill album sells. Thats a fact.

it actually came out 3 years ago. damn time flies!
but otherwise, I agree with you.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Meanbone1980
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2007, 04:10:52 PM »

Well there are enough good songs on Libertad like Pill demon etc, American man, Gave dancer, let it roll, Get out the door. Most of those songs are better then most songs on Controband, so i think the problem is the quality of your band who can't play the songs jak0lantern01 ? Wink

i dont think thats what he means, he means they dont want to play them cause its all laid back weak rock, not hard rock which is what he wants to play.

Owkee. Well Let it Roll is pretty hard. of course no hard rock, but Contraband wasn't like that two :S Only Slither a little bit.

I think this album blows away Contraband. So many great songs on it. Only the wrong choice for a single (SBQM)
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2007, 04:14:46 PM »

Final numbers are in.  Top 10

1   T.I.   ATLANTIC/ATL G   465,984   --
T.I. VS. T.I.P.

2   HANNAH MONTANA 2 - MEET MILEY   WALT DISNEY RECORDS   186,567   -42%
SOUNDTRACK

3   KELLY CLARKSON   RCA/RMG   116,364   -61%
MY DECEMBER

4   VELVET REVOLVER   RCA/RMG   98,121   --
LIBERTAD

5   BON JOVI   ISLAND   94,532   -24%
LOST HIGHWAY

6   KELLY ROWLAND   COLUMBIA   83,746   --
MS. KELLY

7   BRAD PAISLEY   RCA/RMG   66,507   -16%
5TH GEAR

8   AMY WINEHOUSE   UNIVERSAL REPUBLIC   57,730   -6%
BACK TO BLACK

9   LINKIN PARK   WARNER BROS.   56,210   -1%
MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT

10   WHITE STRIPES   WARNER BROS.   54,725   -27%
ICKY THUMP

http://hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 04:17:02 PM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2007, 04:18:12 PM »

Final numbers are in.? Top 10

1   T.I.   ATLANTIC/ATL G   465,984   --
T.I. VS. T.I.P.

2   HANNAH MONTANA 2 - MEET MILEY   WALT DISNEY RECORDS   186,567   -42%
SOUNDTRACK

3   KELLY CLARKSON   RCA/RMG   116,364   -61%
MY DECEMBER

4   VELVET REVOLVER   RCA/RMG   98,121   --
LIBERTAD

5   BON JOVI   ISLAND   94,532   -24%
LOST HIGHWAY

6   KELLY ROWLAND   COLUMBIA   83,746   --
MS. KELLY

7   BRAD PAISLEY   RCA/RMG   66,507   -16%
5TH GEAR

8   AMY WINEHOUSE   UNIVERSAL REPUBLIC   57,730   -6%
BACK TO BLACK

9   LINKIN PARK   WARNER BROS.   56,210   -1%
MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT

10   WHITE STRIPES   WARNER BROS.   54,725   -27%
ICKY THUMP

http://hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi

Wow, I'm disappointed.? But, hopefully the album will have some legs.? I think it will.? Plus they'll tour for a long time, so it'll go platinum at the least.

Ali
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 04:19:55 PM by Ali » Logged
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2007, 05:08:31 PM »

Top 4 is cool but the numbers can't be considered cool by any means.

It'll be interesting to see how numbers go this week, I'm thinking 65-75% drop off.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2007, 05:12:38 PM »

It'll be interesting to see how numbers go this week, I'm thinking 65-75% drop off.

That's usually what happens... platinum is a long ways away... if one of their singles doesn't catch fire, they may just reach gold.

It's a shame, I think this album is much much better than Contraband (for my personal tastes).  I wonder if this album came out first with the hype and promotion there was for Contraband what the reaction to it would be.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2007, 05:15:26 PM »

It would help if RCA properly promoted it. 
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2007, 05:40:50 PM »

Aren't they scheduled to play Kimmel later this week?  Hopefully they don't play SBQM, and do the right thing and go with "The Last Fight".  I think that will be the biggest hit commercially from the album.  Get it out there now, we've heard the first single for long enough.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2007, 05:42:56 PM »

Aren't they scheduled to play Kimmel later this week?  Hopefully they don't play SBQM, and do the right thing and go with "The Last Fight".  I think that will be the biggest hit commercially from the album.  Get it out there now, we've heard the first single for long enough.

Thursday.  Would be dumb to play SBQM again, since they played it over at Leno's just two weeks ago.  But they usually play 5 songs at Kimmels, and the performance can be seen in its entirety over at Kimmel's site.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2007, 05:47:06 PM »

Aren't they scheduled to play Kimmel later this week?? Hopefully they don't play SBQM, and do the right thing and go with "The Last Fight".? I think that will be the biggest hit commercially from the album.? Get it out there now, we've heard the first single for long enough.

Thursday.? Would be dumb to play SBQM again, since they played it over at Leno's just two weeks ago.? But they usually play 5 songs at Kimmels, and the performance can be seen in its entirety over at Kimmel's site.
Really?  They only air one on the show though right?  Hopefully that one is "The Last Fight".  Which by the way is the first song that comes on when you visit www.velvetrevolver.com.  Good choice.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2007, 05:51:32 PM »

Aren't they scheduled to play Kimmel later this week?? Hopefully they don't play SBQM, and do the right thing and go with "The Last Fight".? I think that will be the biggest hit commercially from the album.? Get it out there now, we've heard the first single for long enough.

Thursday.? Would be dumb to play SBQM again, since they played it over at Leno's just two weeks ago.? But they usually play 5 songs at Kimmels, and the performance can be seen in its entirety over at Kimmel's site.
Really?? They only air one on the show though right?? Hopefully that one is "The Last Fight".? Which by the way is the first song that comes on when you visit www.velvetrevolver.com.? Good choice.

yeah.. they also play SBQM and she mine.. and since SBQM was the first single, last fight is told to be the second and the band wanted she mine to be the first single i think she mine will be the third
leoroses
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2007, 06:21:15 PM »

Since the record company tried to do its research and failed miserably why don't they let VR take the regns and do what they want.  If this album doesn't do well I think they will go back into the studio with Mike Clink this time and rush out a more over the top experimental record.  So RCA should just shut the fuck up now since they have already fucked over VR in the opening week of sales.  The only reason anyone I know, knows the album was cming out was because I told them.   This band is still young and needs the backing and promotion.  I am sure the AIC tour will help alot though.  Next time RCA does research on the single how bout they ask real VR fans not just anyone or at least fans of rock music.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2007, 06:23:54 PM »

The promotion has been really low compared to Contraband.  You have to wonder why.  It's possible the label didn't really believe in that album.  I mean they can dump all the money into promotion they want, but you have to give people a reason to buy the album.  At the end of the day there aren't really any great singles that are going to drive album sales.  There are songs where people would go "that's a cool song".  I don't hear any songs on here that are going to make your average rock listener go "I gotta pick up that album"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 06:51:33 PM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2007, 06:31:12 PM »

Im really happy with Libertad hitting number 6 in te UK chart. It shows me there is still a good fan base for straight up rock music. Especially considering the musical climate in the uk.

And I agree about promotion, or the fact that ther wasnt any at all in the uk other than little bits in magazines
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2007, 09:56:06 PM »

Is Velvet now reduced to just a great live show? 

I love the album.
GNRslave
Rocker

"turn on the tv cuz i got nowhere to go..."

« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2007, 10:45:53 AM »

Is Velvet now reduced to just a great live show? 

I love the album.

i love the album too, i think its better than contraband (which i also love)...i'm very surprised they didnt debut at at least # 2, and only 98,000. i think its apparent now that the first single choice was not very good. they should have gone with "get out the door" instead of the "slither-clone," only weaker

"gonna wave it right down in your face"
http://www.myspace.com/5232978
torqued
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2007, 10:46:19 AM »

VELVET REVOLVER's sophomore album, "Libertad", sold 93,000 copies in the United States during its first week of release to land at position No. 5 on The Billboard chart. This is a little over one-third of the 256,000 first-week tally registered by its predecessor, "Contraband", which landed at No. 1 on The Billboard 200 chart back in June 2004.

VELVET REVOLVER celebrated the release of "Libertad" with a special intimate club show at the famous Whisky A Go Go in Los Angeles Thursday night (July 5). Check out pictures from Wire Image, WENN, Getty Images.

A limited edition of "Libertad" sold through Best Buy comes with a bonus DVD.

The first single from the album is "She Builds Quick Machines". Watch the promotional video for the song at YouTube.

A nine-minute video interview with VELVET REVOLVER guitarist Dave Kushner, conducted by a drunken Finn from Finland's Get In The Pit magazine at this year's Provinssirock festival (June 15-17) in Sein?joki, Finland, has been posted at this location.

VELVET REVOLVER will appear on the July 12-13 edition of ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" and begins a North American tour with ALICE IN CHAINS on August 5 in Baltimore.

All my opinions are based on fact, therefore my opinions are technically fact ,so don't argue with me.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2007, 10:47:13 AM »

I'm sure these numbers are considered disappointing, but the entire industry is in shambles right now. ?A few years ago 100,000 copies wouldn't have gotten you in the Top 10.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: