Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 09:17:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Libertad debuts well below Contraband
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Libertad debuts well below Contraband  (Read 91185 times)
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #500 on: July 31, 2007, 08:06:26 PM »

Slash's comments about people seeing the band as a separate entity now, rather than as former members of well known bands, isn't a good thing. I think the publicity that that fact created certainly contributed to some of the sales for the first album. This time around those people weren't intrigued.

The video may have been on VH1, but I have yet to see it. I remmber watching quite a bit of the Vh1 videos, and countdown, over the last month or so, and I remember seeing Amy Swinehouse and Rihanna played repeatedly, but no VR.

It took me at least 10 listens of each song to actually get into it. I still have trouble differentiating between some of them, because they sound so similar and have the same song structures. Its like the first half is good, but then it just goes flat and boring somewhere after Mary Mary.

I actually want to like the album, and I've been listening to it a shitload. Its just got some fatal flaws that could have been fixed with some simple changes in the musical mechanics of the songs.

I think the problem lies with Kushner. He's a punk guitarist, thats fine I suppose. But his repetitive use  of the G, A, and B power chords makes the album boring. Thats all he fuckin plays! its useless. Then slash picks up on that, he starts using those chords, and presto, you've got a bunch of power chords with no awesome riff. Its impossible for slash to do arpeggios over the rhythm part when you've got someone playing a fast rhythm of power chords.

I think thats the problem with the music, Kushner's boring punk ass rhythms.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #501 on: July 31, 2007, 08:54:46 PM »

I always thought of Dave as a more than competent guitarist, especially after seeing them live, but I don't think he offers much on Libertad either. He plays fuzzy/fart guitar throughout which just clash's with Slash's clean tone.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #502 on: July 31, 2007, 11:06:34 PM »

Thats how i felt as well, on the last record they had tones that gelled, but this time around they clashed, and just didn't work. Dave wasn't too bad on Contraband, but i don't think he did well on Libertad.
GeraldFord
« Reply #503 on: August 01, 2007, 12:45:46 AM »

And there is nothing "alternative" about this album at all. Nothing.

Well, alternative is definitely a wide ranging term that people define in different ways but by my ears, songs like She Mine, Pills Demons Etc., and For A Brother in particular sound like they have a heavy alt-rock influence.? Not to mention that SBQM's riff sounds nearly identical to Vertigo's riff and U2 are like the posterboys for alt-rock.? I definitely hear an alternative influence on the overall album even though it's not necessarily on every song
I couldn't disagree more.

Alternative is Sonic Youth, the Pixies, the Breeders, etc. Libertad is a straight-up 70s influenced rock album and about as alternative as Ann Coulter is a liberal.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #504 on: August 01, 2007, 12:47:40 AM »

I always thought of Dave as a more than competent guitarist, especially after seeing them live, but I don't think he offers much on Libertad either. He plays fuzzy/fart guitar throughout which just clash's with Slash's clean tone.

I'll give him full marks just for writing GOTD. One of my favourite songs on the album.
He's no Izzy, but he does his job.

Fuck 'Em All.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #505 on: August 01, 2007, 02:25:33 AM »

U know, I forgot how kick ass Contraband is.

I put it on today and WOW, it really seems more in your face and aggressive than Libertad.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #506 on: August 01, 2007, 02:37:11 AM »

I put it on today and WOW, it really seems more in your face and aggressive than Libertad.

So, which do you like better?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #507 on: August 01, 2007, 02:44:45 AM »

Honestly........

Probably Contraband

Suckertrain Blues is better than Let It Roll
Do It For The Kids is better than She Mine
Fall To Pieces,YGNR and Loving the Alien are better than Last Fight,Gravedancer and Cant Get it out of my head

Superhuman is better than Just Sixteen

Dirty Little Thing is better t han For A Brother and Spay

Libertad is a good album, dont get me wrong but Contraband to me rocks harder and is funner.

Libertad to me seems void of Energy......... U guys know what I mean? The album just doesn't Jump out of the speakers like Contraband did.

Even a Song LIke "Set Me Free" will make u really rock out.

Libertad sounds more adult contemporary in a lot of ways.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #508 on: August 01, 2007, 03:24:35 AM »

That's because it is. beer

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #509 on: August 01, 2007, 07:49:55 AM »

That's because it is. beer
I agree.  I like Libertad.  It's a good album.  But I really liked Contraband.  I was surprised so many people were down on that album and how many of the "experts" and fans prefer Libertad.  I just don't see it.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #510 on: August 01, 2007, 09:20:23 AM »

I don't think they will pass "Ain't Life Grand".?

"Aint life grand" was a better album than Libertad..."back to the moment" and "serial killer" are better than anything on Libertad....these sales figures BLOW....i mean it should pick up when they start the tour in a few days and when "the last fight" comes out....i cant believe they are still nowhere near matching contrabands week 1 sales......this is insane...maybe Scott will learn to watch his mouth....
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 09:24:30 AM by DR. COX » Logged
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #511 on: August 01, 2007, 09:24:25 AM »

yeah aint life grand is the best slash has been involved with since he left
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #512 on: August 01, 2007, 04:28:28 PM »

And there is nothing "alternative" about this album at all. Nothing.

Well, alternative is definitely a wide ranging term that people define in different ways but by my ears, songs like She Mine, Pills Demons Etc., and For A Brother in particular sound like they have a heavy alt-rock influence.  Not to mention that SBQM's riff sounds nearly identical to Vertigo's riff and U2 are like the posterboys for alt-rock.  I definitely hear an alternative influence on the overall album even though it's not necessarily on every song
I couldn't disagree more.

Alternative is Sonic Youth, the Pixies, the Breeders, etc. Libertad is a straight-up 70s influenced rock album and about as alternative as Ann Coulter is a liberal.

Those bands are alternative but alternative is a massive umbrella.  It's all semantics anyway.  STP was considered an alt-rock band and to me a lot of Libertad sounds like throwaway STP songs.  U2 is considered alt-rock and SBQM's riff sounds like it's lifted almost directly from one of their songs.  Pearl Jam's considered alt-rock and For A Brother sounds in parts quite like a Pearl Jam song.  But again, it's semantics

At the end of the day, much of the album sounds to me like alternative (not Sonic Youth, more in the vein of STP, or in the case of SBQM and For A Brother, U2 and Pearl Jam) crossed with pop rock.  Either way it's less aggressive and more pop oriented than a lot of the potential customers would like
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #513 on: August 01, 2007, 05:24:42 PM »

Has any of the band commented on the lackluster album sales?

Last Fight is lined up next. If there is going to be an effect on sales, we should first see a spike on Itunes almost immediately although I think to buy this album, listeners will need a series of strong singles to draw them away from that $.99 click to buy.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #514 on: August 02, 2007, 05:20:01 AM »

It is dead, there was no promotion, I didn't even kjnow it was coming out..See how much attention they paid promotion wise to COntrabvand, they were on rock shows, countdowns, headbanger's ball, that fuse rock show with that ho bag who holds the camera.. They were on letterman leno kimmel, etc.. Their video got a proper launch and a making of.. They did squat this time around.. The small fan base bought the albums the first week now it's if they get lucky enough to have a good next single played after 4am.. Slither n ftp's were played on prime time, this SBQM got no air time.. I think for vr it's more about playing n having fun then going through all that PR BS they did first time around..

Just because you werent aware of it doesnt mean there wasnt promotion.

They were on the Fuse channel.? Their video has gotten some play on VH1.? They have performed on Leno and Kimmel.? The single was featured in a CSI show.? They were in featured in numerous magazine and newspaper articles.? It just didnt catch on this time.? I dont think anybody can accurately pinpoint the reason, as much as some of the detractors who inexplicably spend so much time in this section would like to think differently; it just didnt happen.? But I wouldnt blame it on a lack of promotion.? There might not have been as much as there was with the first album, but there was plenty.?

Regardless it was nothing like the first time around.. Many people know velvet revolver from contraband, people I know didn't even know what ever happened to vr.. I know there were reviews based on reading things posted here from what mags and I saw it in rolling stone, it just seemed like the whole upser group phenom was bigger when audioslave had success so gnr + stp just seemed super interesting..
mofo91105
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #515 on: August 04, 2007, 12:47:31 PM »

If anything, Slash's best work will be when Daughtry releases what I want and it blows up. People are going to go nuts for that song because it will get played non-stop on the radio because it is 3 minutes.

I think VR's lack of success this time around is that they went with the same formula as CB. Release a rocker, than a ballad for the second single. Except SBQM wasn't that good and I honestly think people were weirded out by the title. You can blast me for this, but I bet the odd song title had something to do with the publicity it got. Radio DJs sound stupid when they say, "and here is SHE BUILDS QUICK MACHINES??? from VR." I love VR and thought it was the dumbest song title ever. VR videos are lacking too. Sometimes a good video can keep a decent song alive, and I feel they have yet to put out a great video. Hopefully the last fight video is good because people will be a lot warmer to this song than SBQM.

With all that said VR is one of the best live tickets to date, which will keep them going strong because they play very well together and can really carry the energy of a live show. I love the live performances and covers. Hopefully they will throw in some new covers as the tour goes on.
GeraldFord
« Reply #516 on: August 04, 2007, 01:22:42 PM »

I thought Libertad would be doing better, but I'm not ready to call it a flop just yet.

Hopefully the tour and new single(s) will pick up sales.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #517 on: August 04, 2007, 02:55:51 PM »

they could have wrote afd and it wouldn't have sold much better... Trust me if people can adore nickleback n linkin park or fall out boy they can definetly appreciate this album or sbqm's..  I think the super group aura and attention has just warn off.. Now it's just middle agish dudes making music in some newer group.. u-2 Bj, not many can keep it up (musically Cheesy) New groups that are older just don't grab the attention the way a group with the same material much younger does..

I think vr could throw huge concerts get great numbers and maybe only 1/4 of the audience would buy a new album..
bart123
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #518 on: August 04, 2007, 08:35:03 PM »

Slash's comments about people seeing the band as a separate entity now, rather than as former members of well known bands, isn't a good thing. I think the publicity that that fact created certainly contributed to some of the sales for the first album. This time around those people weren't intrigued.

The video may have been on VH1, but I have yet to see it. I remmber watching quite a bit of the Vh1 videos, and countdown, over the last month or so, and I remember seeing Amy Swinehouse and Rihanna played repeatedly, but no VR.

It took me at least 10 listens of each song to actually get into it. I still have trouble differentiating between some of them, because they sound so similar and have the same song structures. Its like the first half is good, but then it just goes flat and boring somewhere after Mary Mary.

I actually want to like the album, and I've been listening to it a shitload. Its just got some fatal flaws that could have been fixed with some simple changes in the musical mechanics of the songs.

I think the problem lies with Kushner. He's a punk guitarist, thats fine I suppose. But his repetitive use? of the G, A, and B power chords makes the album boring. Thats all he fuckin plays! its useless. Then slash picks up on that, he starts using those chords, and presto, you've got a bunch of power chords with no awesome riff. Its impossible for slash to do arpeggios over the rhythm part when you've got someone playing a fast rhythm of power chords.

robins repetive use of fuckin up solos and bumblefoots repetive use of shredding and tapping or another word for it would be called over doing it and shown off ruin the old gnr tunes and make the new ones boring.ha if ur sayin theres no decent riffs on this new album you need a reality check.slash is riff god and every1 knows that.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 08:37:46 PM by bart123 » Logged
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #519 on: August 04, 2007, 08:43:43 PM »

I think the problem lies with Kushner. He's a punk guitarist, thats fine I suppose. But his repetitive use  of the G, A, and B power chords makes the album boring. Thats all he fuckin plays! its useless. Then slash picks up on that, he starts using those chords, and presto, you've got a bunch of power chords with no awesome riff. Its impossible for slash to do arpeggios over the rhythm part when you've got someone playing a fast rhythm of power chords.

robins repetive use of fuckin up solos and bumblefoots repetive use of shredding and tapping or another word for it would be called over doing it and shown off ruin the old gnr tunes and make the new ones boring.ha if ur sayin theres no decent riffs on this new album you need a reality check.slash is riff god and every1 knows that.

Robin does not fuck up anything. He plays the songs the way he wants to play them. If you want to talk about fucking up solos on the Illusion tour.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: