Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2024, 09:30:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228100 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Libertad debuts well below Contraband
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Libertad debuts well below Contraband  (Read 91198 times)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #480 on: July 31, 2007, 05:31:13 AM »

This thing is almost dead.

It is dead, there was no promotion, I didn't even kjnow it was coming out..See how much attention they paid promotion wise to COntrabvand, they were on rock shows, countdowns, headbanger's ball, that fuse rock show with that ho bag who holds the camera.. They were on letterman leno kimmel, etc.. Their video got a proper launch and a making of.. They did squat this time around.. The small fan base bought the albums the first week now it's if they get lucky enough to have a good next single played after 4am.. Slither n ftp's were played on prime time, this SBQM got no air time.. I think for vr it's more about playing n having fun then going through all that PR BS they did first time around..
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #481 on: July 31, 2007, 08:24:06 AM »

It is dead, there was no promotion, I didn't even kjnow it was coming out..See how much attention they paid promotion wise to COntrabvand, they were on rock shows, countdowns, headbanger's ball, that fuse rock show with that ho bag who holds the camera.. They were on letterman leno kimmel, etc.. Their video got a proper launch and a making of.. They did squat this time around.. The small fan base bought the albums the first week now it's if they get lucky enough to have a good next single played after 4am.. Slither n ftp's were played on prime time, this SBQM got no air time.. I think for vr it's more about playing n having fun then going through all that PR BS they did first time around..

Just because you werent aware of it doesnt mean there wasnt promotion.

They were on the Fuse channel.  Their video has gotten some play on VH1.  They have performed on Leno and Kimmel.  The single was featured in a CSI show.  They were in featured in numerous magazine and newspaper articles.  It just didnt catch on this time.  I dont think anybody can accurately pinpoint the reason, as much as some of the detractors who inexplicably spend so much time in this section would like to think differently; it just didnt happen.  But I wouldnt blame it on a lack of promotion.  There might not have been as much as there was with the first album, but there was plenty. 
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #482 on: July 31, 2007, 08:27:46 AM »

They were on the Fuse channel.? Their video has gotten some play on VH1.? They have performed on Leno and Kimmel.? The single was featured in a CSI show.?? It just didnt catch on this time.? I dont think anybody can accurately pinpoint the reason, as much as some of the detractors who inexplicably spend so much time in this section would like to think differently; it just didnt happen.?

I spend time in this section because it is interesting to read what other people think.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #483 on: July 31, 2007, 08:49:44 AM »

They were on the Fuse channel.? Their video has gotten some play on VH1.? They have performed on Leno and Kimmel.? The single was featured in a CSI show.? They were in featured in numerous magazine and newspaper articles.? It just didnt catch on this time.? I dont think anybody can accurately pinpoint the reason, as much as some of the detractors who inexplicably spend so much time in this section would like to think differently; it just didnt happen.? But I wouldnt blame it on a lack of promotion.? There might not have been as much as there was with the first album, but there was plenty.?
I agree, there was promotion.  People just didn't seem to be interested this time around

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #484 on: July 31, 2007, 11:27:05 AM »

This is unfortunate.  I am disheartened.  This album deserved much better than this.  Here's to hoping that "The Last Fight", which I think is a great song, can help the sales.

Ali
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #485 on: July 31, 2007, 01:57:24 PM »

I've said it before but, that first single just didn't catch people's attention. Even if you think it's a great song now, you shouldn't have to hear a first single 10 times to start liking it.  People don't have that kind of attention span these days.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #486 on: July 31, 2007, 03:08:34 PM »

I've said it before but, that first single just didn't catch people's attention. Even if you think it's a great song now, you shouldn't have to hear a first single 10 times to start liking it.  People don't have that kind of attention span these days.

yeah... thats true.

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #487 on: July 31, 2007, 03:21:04 PM »

Jarmo:

Are those US sales figures?

They only sold 7,000 this week?

Jesus Christ..................... I cant believe this shit.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #488 on: July 31, 2007, 03:24:02 PM »

Yes, they're US sales. Not the final chart yet.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #489 on: July 31, 2007, 03:29:03 PM »

WOW

That is truly disastrous. This album won't even go Gold.........................

I guess we can understand now why Rick Rubin wasn't happy and wanted the band to write more songs.

Lets co unt this up

93,000 First Week
52,000 Second week
7,000 third week

152,000 in 3 weeks..................

To drop the board a few more cool points, Bon Jovi's "Lost Highway" in 3 weeks sold 500,000 copies without a HUGE HUGE hit single.

VR simply did not promote this album, first single was horrendous, Should've been Get Out The Door, They should've done ever ything to get that song in the "Transformers" Movie: Get the lyric "Like the Transformers there's more than meets the eye"

What sucks is how Scott ran his mouth like an arrogant fuck about Chinese Democracy not selling a million copies and now his album is one of the most disappointing albums of the decade.

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #490 on: July 31, 2007, 03:47:43 PM »

I guess we can understand now why Rick Rubin wasn't happy and wanted the band to write more songs.

If you agree with him, then you shouldn't have to wait for the album sales to "understand" that.

The 7,000 figure is for 60% of the sales, the final chart will be slightly higher.

They shouldn't be waiting until August 20 to release the next single.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #491 on: July 31, 2007, 03:55:10 PM »

I've said it before but, that first single just didn't catch people's attention. Even if you think it's a great song now, you shouldn't have to hear a first single 10 times to start liking it.? People don't have that kind of attention span these days.

yeah... thats true.

Plus the monstrous legacy of the original GNR just seems to hang over this band (i.e., the new Rolling Stone issue) and is a constant reminder of how VR's music pales in comparison.  I think all these guys are great in their own right but it just doesn't seem to be working.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #492 on: July 31, 2007, 04:19:47 PM »

WOW

That is truly disastrous. This album won't even go Gold.........................

Lets co unt this up

93,000 First Week
52,000 Second week
7,000 third week

152,000 in 3 weeks..................

To drop the board a few more cool points, Bon Jovi's "Lost Highway" in 3 weeks sold 500,000 copies without a HUGE HUGE hit single.

VR simply did not promote this album, first single was horrendous, Should've been Get Out The Door, They should've done ever ything to get that song in the "Transformers" Movie: Get the lyric "Like the Transformers there's more than meets the eye"

What sucks is how Scott ran his mouth like an arrogant fuck about Chinese Democracy not selling a million copies and now his album is one of the most disappointing albums of the decade.

It didn't sell 52,000 the second week

According to HDD, it sold about 98,000 first week, 32,000 second week, 21,000 third week, and final figures today show about 15,500 in the fourth week

http://hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi

According to Soundscan, it sold about 93,000 first week, 37,000 second week, not sure about the third week or fourth week Soundscan figures

But according to HDD, it's sold about 166,500 in 4 weeks
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #493 on: July 31, 2007, 04:33:15 PM »

Well, I said this as soon as I first heard the album.  Considering that Rick Rubin has produced rap songs that are more aggressive musically than most of what's on Libertad, and VR is supposed to be a hard rock band, I could see why Rubin would have sent them back to the drawing board.  Now Booker can say no one could see this coming or no one can understand why it happened but some of us predicted this the moment we heard the album.  Look, when most of your potential customers are Guns N' Roses fans, and a solid portion of them were not blown away by the debut album, hearing VR play alternative/pop rock songs for most of the album isn't going to get that sizeable portion of potential customers excited to go out and buy the album
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #494 on: July 31, 2007, 04:56:08 PM »

Yes, he should have known better than to start giving his opinion to the public on Chinese Democracy and album sales.
GeraldFord
« Reply #495 on: July 31, 2007, 05:40:51 PM »

Well, I said this as soon as I first heard the album.? Considering that Rick Rubin has produced rap songs that are more aggressive musically than most of what's on Libertad, and VR is supposed to be a hard rock band, I could see why Rubin would have sent them back to the drawing board.? Now Booker can say no one could see this coming or no one can understand why it happened but some of us predicted this the moment we heard the album.? Look, when most of your potential customers are Guns N' Roses fans, and a solid portion of them were not blown away by the debut album, hearing VR play alternative/pop rock songs for most of the album isn't going to get that sizeable portion of potential customers excited to go out and buy the album

While I am disappointed the album isn't doing better, I think it's still excellent. Many albums that didn't initially catch on proved to be highly regarded later on.

And there is nothing "alternative" about this album at all. Nothing.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #496 on: July 31, 2007, 06:12:44 PM »

I absolutely love the album and it hasnt left my CD player but still, Those are horrible figures and I can see why cause SBQM is a good song but a shitty single and one of the worst videos I have ever seen.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #497 on: July 31, 2007, 06:21:41 PM »

CHART DATE: 07/30/2007
LAST UPDATE: 07/31/2007 13:06:09
NOW IN: FINAL

28   45   VELVET REVOLVER   LIBERTAD RCA/RMG   15,578   -27%

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #498 on: July 31, 2007, 07:21:54 PM »

I'd agree that it's pop rock though, with an emphasis on the 'pop'

I barely recognise Slash's riffing at all on some songs. And while some of it has grown on me since my first listen, I still think it's a pretty weak album.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #499 on: July 31, 2007, 07:45:26 PM »

Well, alternative is definitely a wide ranging term that people define in different ways but by my ears, songs like She Mine, Pills Demons Etc., and For A Brother in particular sound like they have a heavy alt-rock influence.  Not to mention that SBQM's riff sounds nearly identical to Vertigo's riff and U2 are like the posterboys for alt-rock.  I definitely hear an alternative influence on the overall album even though it's not necessarily on every song
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: