Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 10:32:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228131 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Libertad debuts well below Contraband
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Libertad debuts well below Contraband  (Read 91837 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #400 on: July 25, 2007, 10:29:43 AM »

WOW are those US sell figures?

If so that really sucks and is disappointing...................

Last thing about Axl and I am officiallyshutting up about it:

Its naive to think that the US press aren't gonna have a field day asking questions about the old bandmembers.

Axl will either have to have some sort of deal NOT to have any questions or he will have to be diplomatic and just give the political "Im glad they are doing well and I wish them the best" line or say NO Comment.

Foreign Press are a little more respectable but the US press are gonna ask

"What Happened to the old band"
"Why did u keep the name"

He is gonna be asked that so many times here and thats just the way it is.

So unless he doesn't plan to do much press in the US for Chinese Democracy, He is gonna have to say something about the old bandmembers and He, like Slash and Duff won't be doing it for publicity or for anything else other than to answer a question and get to the next one.

Like it or not they will forever be linked.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #401 on: July 25, 2007, 10:39:33 AM »

21   28   VELVET REVOLVER   LIBERTAD RCA/RMG   ? ?21,361   -35%

/jarmo

This should have been enough to get the thread back on topic.

So..

Back on topic.

Anyone have any idea the actual numbers and % drop off Contriband had in its 3rd week?

Aren't those the numbers Jarmo posted above?

Those are Libertad's

Oh yeah, sorry.  VR needs to get away from these one word titles so I can keep them straight.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #402 on: July 25, 2007, 10:44:01 AM »

these sales figures are god awful....i wonder how many weeks its going to take libertad to match what Contraband did in its first week.....they are still over 100,000 sales away from that mark...and its been 3 weeks.....my guess its about 6-10 weeks
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #403 on: July 25, 2007, 10:45:45 AM »

And Axl knows full well what he's getting himself into by keeping the name, it WILL be interesting to see how he handles the questions once he starts doing more press.

21 to 28 isn't terribly unexpected... Look at the tumble the Pumpkins took in their second week, 75% !!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #404 on: July 25, 2007, 10:54:45 AM »

21 to 28 isn't terribly unexpected... Look at the tumble the Pumpkins took in their second week, 75% !!

true...but Velvet Revolver is a GOOD band...thats why its a big deal their record is dropping so quickly....we arent talking about some over-rated whiny 90's bullshit.....
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #405 on: July 25, 2007, 11:49:33 AM »

21   28   VELVET REVOLVER   LIBERTAD RCA/RMG   ? ?21,361   -35%

/jarmo

I'm not sure why numbers matter to everyone-I loved Tommy Stinson's solo record, which may not have sold much, but it's still a beautiful album-I loved Contraband, really don't like Libertad, but when do album sales determine how good or bad a band or album is? Take a look at TSI to see some of the bands that influenced GNR

libertad
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #406 on: July 25, 2007, 12:10:23 PM »

21   28   VELVET REVOLVER   LIBERTAD RCA/RMG      21,361   -35%
/jarmo

I'm not sure why numbers matter to everyone-I loved Tommy Stinson's solo record, which may not have sold much, but it's still a beautiful album-I loved Contraband, really don't like Libertad, but when do album sales determine how good or bad a band or album is? Take a look at TSI to see some of the bands that influenced GNR

There is a lot riding on this... Scott said that Nick Lachey would get inducted into the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame before Chinese Democracy sells a million copies.  Obviously everyone can only be a fan of either Guns N' Roses or Velvet Revolver... If Libertad doesn't sell one million copies, it will give GN'R fans a strong comeback against VR fans in future arguments.

e.g. Jim Bob says: "Scott talked trash about selling a million copies and Libertad tanked."
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #407 on: July 25, 2007, 12:39:48 PM »

I dont get this whole VR vs. GNR thing....look I think everyone can agree that Scott Weiland is an overated ass clown who  was lucky that Chris Cornell was in Audioslave otherwise he would probably still be unemployed......But Slash is still Slash...Duff is still Duff, and as far as im concerned Matt Sorum is the original drummer for Guns N Roses...if there was ever a reunion you can bet that it would be Sorum behind the drum set.....not that junkie who continously rips Axl to anyone who will listen...oh wait actually he is in "kiss Axl's ass" mode right now...but will go back to bashing him in a few months.....anyway back on topic...i think it is possible to like BOTH bands...not being able to like both Nirvana and GNR is understandable....but not VR and GNR.....you can like both bands as long as you remember the most important thing...Scott Weiland is a douchebag
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #408 on: July 25, 2007, 12:43:35 PM »

I dont get this whole VR vs. GNR thing....look I think everyone can agree that Scott Weiland is an overated ass clown who was lucky that Chris Cornell was in Audioslave otherwise he would probably still be unemployed......But Slash is still Slash...Duff is still Duff, and as far as im concerned Matt Sorum is the original drummer for Guns N Roses...if there was ever a reunion you can bet that it would be Sorum behind the drum set.....not that junkie who continously rips Axl to anyone who will listen...oh wait actually he is in "kiss Axl's ass" mode right now...but will go back to bashing him in a few months.....anyway back on topic...i think it is possible to like BOTH bands...not being able to like both Nirvana and GNR is understandable....but not VR and GNR.....you can like both bands as long as you remember the most important thing...Scott Weiland is a douchebag

Not... A... Single... Sensible... Thing... Said.... Between.... Each.... '.....' ....
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #409 on: July 25, 2007, 12:46:32 PM »

I dont get this whole VR vs. GNR thing....look I think everyone can agree that Scott Weiland is an overated ass clown who was lucky that Chris Cornell was in Audioslave otherwise he would probably still be unemployed......But Slash is still Slash...Duff is still Duff, and as far as im concerned Matt Sorum is the original drummer for Guns N Roses...if there was ever a reunion you can bet that it would be Sorum behind the drum set.....not that junkie who continously rips Axl to anyone who will listen...oh wait actually he is in "kiss Axl's ass" mode right now...but will go back to bashing him in a few months.....anyway back on topic...i think it is possible to like BOTH bands...not being able to like both Nirvana and GNR is understandable....but not VR and GNR.....you can like both bands as long as you remember the most important thing...Scott Weiland is a douchebag

Not... A... Single... Sensible... Thing... Said.... Between.... Each.... '.....' ....

so which of my points do you disagree with?....

1. Scott Weiland is overated and was lucky all the other good singers were taken when VR was formed
2. Slash, Duff and Matt are still great
3. Steven Adler is a junkie who keeps bashing the new band
4.Scott Weiland is a douchebag
5. it is possible to like both bands as long as you remember number 4.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 12:50:56 PM by DR. COX » Logged
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #410 on: July 25, 2007, 01:10:01 PM »

And Axl knows full well what he's getting himself into by keeping the name, it WILL be interesting to see how he handles the questions once he starts doing more press.

Well, it is his father's name after all!

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #411 on: July 25, 2007, 01:17:22 PM »

Well I've listened to Libertad about 15 times now and although Contraband still rocks, Libertad is growing on me.  It is definitely different.  It's a throw back and new sound all together.  I've listened to it on regular stero and on a bose system which makes a difference.  It's a good C.D.  It is still melodic and ballad like but it's good.  I still prefer the harder Contraband stuff but every band evolves.

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #412 on: July 25, 2007, 01:25:32 PM »

so which of my points do you disagree with?....

1. Scott Weiland is overated and was lucky all the other good singers were taken when VR was formed
2. Slash, Duff and Matt are still great
3. Steven Adler is a junkie who keeps bashing the new band
4.Scott Weiland is a douchebag
5. it is possible to like both bands as long as you remember number 4.

For starters...

How is Scott Weiland overrated? ?He's been consistently trashed over his career for being an Eddie Vedder clone, a junkie, and now as a frontman not worthy of Slash.

Scott has never had a problem releasing music and would have most likely continued with or without the VR bandmembers.

Cornell fronting the band is wild speculation.

not being able to like both Nirvana and GNR is understandable -- ?Sure, it's understandable if one of the bands doesn't suit your musical tastes. ?It's also understandable to not like both Milli Vanilli and GNR. ?Reading between the lines suggests that you think it's "understandable" to dislike Nirvana simply because they had a fued with Axl/GN'R... if you buy into that, how is it different with VR?

Steven Adler recorded on GN'Rs first release, therefore = original drummer. ?A reunion is extremely unlikely, so who's to say who would be behind the kit? ?and who's to say what Steven will be saying to the press in the future?

anyway back on topic - The topic is Libertad's album sales compared to Contraband, not whether or not it's possible to like VR and GN'R

"i think it is possible to like BOTH bands" was sensible, but it was tough to find.... plus it got cancelled out by this "5. it is possible to like both bands as long as you remember number 4."

That leaves you with... "But Slash is still Slash...Duff is still Duff"   ok
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #413 on: July 25, 2007, 02:16:37 PM »

so you are saying its not possible to like the band and still hate Weiland?

and the only reason the Nirvana feud is different than a VR feud is that Kurt Cobain called GNR "talentless people who write crap music"? he pretty much dismissed any impact GNR had on the music business...along with krist novaselics famous remarks "when nevermind came out there were no rock bands at the top of the charts...at least any important ones"? well Use Your illusion 1 and 2 occupied the top 2 spots of the chart when Nevermind came out...and if you think of the classic GNR line-up...Matt Sorum was there when GNR took over the planet in the early 90's, so Steven Adler can take his cowbell and shove it up his ass..Not to mention Sorum blows him away on drums. you also answered you own question when you said how is Scott Weliand overated?? i think the vedder, junkie, not worthy of slash frontman sums it up pretty well....the bottom line is if Scott Weiland wasnt such a jerkoff there would be no VR/GNR feud....actually there really isnt any type of feud....Weiland is the only one who talks shit.....i havent seen Slash, Duff or matt say anything THAT bad...although they are famous for a few cheap shots here and there.....

anyway this whole thing is going nowhere......so lets drop it....agree to disagree.....now lets get back to Scott running his mouth about album sales and his latest release tanking.......
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 02:18:57 PM by DR. COX » Logged
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #414 on: July 25, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »

so you are saying its not possible to like the band and still hate Weiland?

and the only reason the Nirvana feud is different than a VR feud is that Kurt Cobain called GNR "talentless people who write crap music"? he pretty much dismissed any impact GNR had on the music business...along with krist novaselics famous remarks "when nevermind came out there were no rock bands at the top of the charts...at least any important ones"? well Use Your illusion 1 and 2 occupied the top 2 spots of the chart when Nevermind came out...and if you think of the classic GNR line-up...Matt Sorum was there when GNR took over the planet in the early 90's, so Steven Adler can take his cowbell and shove it up his ass..Not to mention Sorum blows him away on drums. you also answered you own question when you said how is Scott Weliand overated?? i think the vedder, junkie, not worthy of slash frontman sums it up pretty well....the bottom line is if Scott Weiland wasnt such a jerkoff there would be no VR/GNR feud....actually there really isnt any type of feud....Weiland is the only one who talks shit.....i havent seen Slash, Duff or matt say anything THAT bad...although they are famous for a few cheap shots here and there.....

Well, I don't really like Weiland, though I respect his talent vocally and onstage (though not as a writer), but I do like VR because of Duff and Slash mostly.

Ali
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #415 on: July 25, 2007, 02:21:07 PM »

back to album sales....how many weeks till libertad matches the first week sales of contraband....counting the 3 weeks it has already been out....i say 8 weeks.....anyone?
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #416 on: July 25, 2007, 04:35:03 PM »

back to album sales....how many weeks till libertad matches the first week sales of contraband....counting the 3 weeks it has already been out....i say 8 weeks.....anyone?

It'll be probably be more than 8 weeks.  To match Contraband' s 256K debut in 8 weeks, it would have to maintain its sales figures for this week without dropping for the next 5 weeks which I don't think is likely.  It will most likely continue to drop in sales each week at least until The Last Fight is released, which is 4 weeks away.  I think it'll be more like 10 weeks
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #417 on: July 25, 2007, 05:13:31 PM »

I think it'll be more like 10 weeks

Yep, I agree.

The tour will have to be in full swing and the new single out for at least a month.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Casey Shelton
« Reply #418 on: July 25, 2007, 06:26:14 PM »

I don't give a shit about record sales.  The album speaks for itself.  What is evident is how ineffective SBQM is as the first single.  Get Out The Door would have exploded over the airwaves.  Or even Just Sixteen.....or She Mine or Mary Mary.  Pills, Demons even. 

Most people who bought Contraband don't even know this follow-up is on the shelves.  Libertad is far better than I expected.  That's all I care about.  It's in my car.....could care less if it is in the car in front of, next to or behind me.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #419 on: July 25, 2007, 06:31:23 PM »

Not to get technical but Axl did actually talk about the old band on Eddie Trunk.

He was talkin about Its So Easy and how it was a different song, totally I cant remember the word, Rockabilly maybe? and then he said Slash dirtied it up and Axl gave his best Iggy Pop over top of it and izzy was like "what happened to my song.....

yeah, I was just gonna mention that.
he said how Its So Easy was a country diddle written by Duff and West Arkeen, and that it didnt take shape till Slash and himself started raping it.
and it was Duff, not Izzy, that went 'what happened to my song?'

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: