Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2024, 09:58:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228077 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Libertad debuts well below Contraband
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Libertad debuts well below Contraband  (Read 90536 times)
King Sand
Patron Saint of Dust N' Bones
Rocker

... And there was nothing left but a grain of Sand

« Reply #220 on: July 19, 2007, 04:02:09 AM »

I really hope so... There are some really solid songs on that album!  And the numbers are correct, that website that I listed was one of several that had the same numbers  (if you don't believe me, just check)....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 04:03:47 AM by King Sand » Logged

"Strange travel plans are dancing lessons from God." - Kurt Vonnegut
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #221 on: July 19, 2007, 04:20:57 AM »

So, has Greatest Hits gone 3 or 4 times Platinum, cause it says "additional" for the number...

So, it should be 1 time platinum, plus 3 more... right?

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #222 on: July 19, 2007, 04:23:14 AM »

really, its a pretty weak album.  I didn't buy it and I'm not going to because theres not enough good music on it that I would listen to.   I pretty much only listen to Let It Roll and Can't Get It Out Of My Head and thats it.

King Sand
Patron Saint of Dust N' Bones
Rocker

... And there was nothing left but a grain of Sand

« Reply #223 on: July 19, 2007, 04:31:44 AM »

So, has Greatest Hits gone 3 or 4 times Platinum, cause it says "additional" for the number...

I'm not sure what you are getting at, but those same people who are buying GNR Greatest Hits would "most likely" be the same people who would buy the VR album...  All I'm trying to say is that it seems that more people are willing to see VR in concert than shell out $10 for the album... 

Jim Bob:  I understand that you think the album is weak... Personally, I think it is a really good rock record... One of the better ones I've heard this year....  Some of the songs are "single" worthy, but after a few listens, they are still pretty good rock songs... Just my opinion... Smiley

"Strange travel plans are dancing lessons from God." - Kurt Vonnegut
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #224 on: July 19, 2007, 04:41:07 AM »

I'm not sure what you are getting at, but those same people who are buying GNR Greatest Hits would "most likely" be the same people who would buy the VR album...  All I'm trying to say is that it seems that more people are willing to see VR in concert than shell out $10 for the album... 

I was basically asking about the number 3 they have on the platinum indication...

Is it 1 time platinum plus another 3? Or 3 times platinum in total... On that billboard link you gave...

audjon
Rocker

It's a bit cold here...

« Reply #225 on: July 19, 2007, 05:13:02 AM »

tripple platinum

Gle?i, gle?i, gle?i
Au?j?n
GeraldFord
« Reply #226 on: July 19, 2007, 05:25:51 AM »

Why are fans not supporting this album?  Yes, PR is not what it should be....  But, Zeitgeist by SP sold pretty well and there was not much PR for that album...
If the shows are doing well as you say, sales will pick up when the band does some heavy touring. If they tour, tour, tour and the next two singles do a litter better than SBQM, this album may not be the flop people are making out to be.

As for the SP, let's see how they do in week two, a great album, btw.
pollyblue
Rocker

t.w.a.t.

« Reply #227 on: July 19, 2007, 07:27:34 AM »

i only listen to and buy velvet revolver's albums because it's slash. but i have to admit, both albums are pretty weak.
no rock n' roll riffs or melodies, matt's drumming is uninspired, scott singing is just plain. i'm dissapointed.
and libertad opens with such a great intro riff, but after 12 seconds, it's all downhill for the rest of the album.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #228 on: July 19, 2007, 09:47:39 AM »

I was basically asking about the number 3 they have on the platinum indication...

Is it 1 time platinum plus another 3? Or 3 times platinum in total... On that billboard link you gave...

The triangle means it's platinum, when it ships another million copies they add the number of times it has gone platinum... so the 3 means it's 3.   ok
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #229 on: July 19, 2007, 11:34:14 AM »

The triangle means it's platinum, when it ships another million copies they add the number of times it has gone platinum... so the 3 means it's 3.   ok

Thank you very much.

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #230 on: July 19, 2007, 01:09:48 PM »

Is it in the top 20?

No, it has dropped to 21

Actually, Billboard has it listed at #19... the numbers have been differing slightly from Hits Daily Double...
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #231 on: July 19, 2007, 02:47:10 PM »

All I'm trying to say is that it seems that more people are willing to see VR in concert than shell out $10 for the album... 

It's worth noting that they are on tour with a legendary band that has a very devoted fanbase.  AIC is no doubt bringing in a lot of fans.  VR's last US tour did decent numbers

Also which shows sold out?  That antimusic site just says the "filled" three 30,000 person venues without giving any real details or even listing which ones, so it may not be the most reliable source
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #232 on: July 19, 2007, 03:00:42 PM »

although this record is a HUGE commercial flop and dissappointment i have to give credit where credit is due....this record really does not sound anything like Contraband....I loved contraband, but im glad in a way that they didnt just re-record contraband because it was successful....this was a different type of album, while im really not a fan of most of it, it took balls to do somethng different.....

it is also worth saying that I dont think this record isn't dead yet....its close though...if they put out "the last fight" to radio stations it might be enough to get some buzz going.....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 03:06:06 PM by DR. COX » Logged
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #233 on: July 19, 2007, 03:03:45 PM »

All I'm trying to say is that it seems that more people are willing to see VR in concert than shell out $10 for the album...

It's worth noting that they are on tour with a legendary band that has a very devoted fanbase. AIC is no doubt bringing in a lot of fans. VR's last US tour did decent numbers

It's also worth noting that you're often making posts that appear "neutral", but have a negative spin in VR's direction.

Alice in Chains, Legendary? ?Come on... ?Also, I'm not sure how much of their "devoted fanbase" is going to see AIC without Layne Staley.? That seems like the type of thing that divides a devoted fanbase (i.e. The Doors, GN'R, Kiss).

You make valid points, but throwing in stuff like this "legendary" comment is only to bring VR down a notch.

Edit - Also, I think it's unfair to call any album a flop until it's run it's course (especially not a "HUGE commercial flop" after only two weeks of being on sale)... It is certainly shaping up to be an overall disappointment sales/popularity wise, but the album debuted at #5, has a single at #3 on the rock charts and the band is about to go on tour... let the whole thing play out first.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 03:07:49 PM by Eazy E » Logged
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #234 on: July 19, 2007, 03:23:26 PM »

It's worth noting that they are on tour with a legendary band that has a very devoted fanbase. AIC is no doubt bringing in a lot of fans. VR's last US tour did decent numbers

It's also worth noting that you're often making posts that appear "neutral", but have a negative spin in VR's direction.

Alice in Chains, Legendary?  Come on...  Also, I'm not sure how much of their "devoted fanbase" is going to see AIC without Layne Staley.  That seems like the type of thing that divides a devoted fanbase (i.e. The Doors, GN'R, Kiss).

You make valid points, but throwing in stuff like this "legendary" comment is only to bring VR down a notch.

Edit - Also, I think it's unfair to call any album a flop until it's run it's course (especially not a "HUGE commercial flop" after only two weeks of being on sale)... It is certainly shaping up to be an overall disappointment sales/popularity wise, but the album debuted at #5, has a single at #3 on the rock charts and the band is about to go on tour... let the whole thing play out first.

Okay, AIC are legends of the grunge scene and the grunge era at least and amongst that demographic are often held in higher regard than Nirvana, Pearl Jam or any other band from that scene.  Anyway regardless of whether you see them as legends or not, AIC has at least as big if not a bigger fanbase than VR and they will play a major role in how many tickets get sold to these shows.  And if this tour has indeed sold out three 30,000 person venues, you have to attribute a lot of that to the presence of AIC considering VR wasn't even selling half that many tickets to the shows on their arena tour two years ago, and it's not like  their popularity has increased since then
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 03:37:05 PM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #235 on: July 19, 2007, 07:57:13 PM »

it debuts below contraband because its not nearly as good as contraband.  there is no slither on it.   that sucks for VR.   Even its own fans had to listen to the shit over and over basically forcing themselves to like it. 

but no, these songs are just growers.  Roll Eyes
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #236 on: July 19, 2007, 08:39:51 PM »

it debuts below contraband because its not nearly as good as contraband.? there is no slither on it.? ?that sucks for VR.? ?Even its own fans had to listen to the shit over and over basically forcing themselves to like it.?

but no, these songs are just growers.? Roll Eyes

Dude you are just a broken record over and over again saying the same things. "I don't like Libertad, songs shouldn't have to grow on you, Libertad sucks." Honestly how well an album does the first 2 weeks it is out sales wise usually have little to do with how good it is. It's usually how people felt about the last album or how they feel about the lead single. I know you, like myself, downloaded it a week before it came out and you're going to say that people who did that didn't buy it but I think that's nonsense. I know a lot of friends who bought it the day it came out and didn't bother to download it. I like Libertad, even more than Contraband. However I think the poor sales so far have more to do with SBQM being one of the oddest choices ever for a single, and because alot of people were disappointed with Contraband. I think a lot of GnR fans and STP fans picked it up out of curiosity and even tho I love it I can see how they wouldn't be blown away or that into it because it doesn't carry the flag for either of their former bands.  But saying a million times you don't like the album and it's weaker being the reason it's selling poor doesn't make sense when most of the people who bought Contraband and have not bought Libertad only heard 1 song.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #237 on: July 20, 2007, 12:43:34 PM »

I wonder if Scott ru nning his mouth about Axl turned off any GNR fans that would normally buy the record?

Makes u wonder........

Libertad is a great album, I actually have it the best album released this year and I like it better than Nine Inch Nails "Year Zero" and Bon Jovi's "Lost Highway"

Granted it took me about 6 times listening to it to like it, but now I really really love it and it doesn't get old.

Biggest problem was the single choice.

People don't buy albums to listen to from beginning to end anymore. U have to come up with a single that captures the hearts of people and makes Casual fans go buy the album. Which is in my personal opinion the reason we haven't got CD yet. I think the record label wants Axl to have that Radio Friendly catchy poppy album selling single and Axl is sticking to his guns and refusing to do it *GNR have never been a by the numbers radio friendly band* Id say the most radio friendly song they ever had was "Dont Cry" the rest don't really fit the single format but did great just by being great songs.

That and doing a shit load of press, Something VR have not done at all.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 12:45:59 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #238 on: July 20, 2007, 02:36:25 PM »

In my opinion if VR were going for a Rock and melodic C.D., then they did it.? I bought it and listened to it several times.? I like Let it Roll, Just 16 and Can't get it out of my head.? There are a lot of mellow tunes.? Mary Mary has a good bass line.? Pills demons & etc. has a funky soul sound with a GnR "Better" sound in the backround.? Slash can play anywhere, anything with anybody.? There isn't one tune that really stands out as a Slash (except for the ELO cover & Let it Roll) song like:you got no right or slither, but most the songs are all consistent that they will be heard as singles: short and still Rock.? It's more rock than hard rock.? This C.D. is alright but I'm not ready to loop it just yet.? I guess it's a C.D. the band wanted to do and they liked artistically.? They still have many songs written but not recorded as of yet so maybe the 3rd will be different from both?? Scott sounds good but very filtered like STP stuff.? I guess it's something to get used to.? At least they put a C.D. out there.? I'm comparing the band to itself and prefer contraband.? When GnR puts out a C.D. I'll compare it to GnR 1st and then maybe VR, but again they're 2 different animals now.?

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #239 on: July 20, 2007, 05:14:16 PM »

That and doing a shit load of press, Something VR have not done at all.

Are you serious?  There's VR interviews everywhere you look.  Hasn't seemed to help much though.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: