Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 06:55:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228107 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Libertad debuts well below Contraband
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Libertad debuts well below Contraband  (Read 91556 times)
gmGnR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #160 on: July 13, 2007, 03:54:44 PM »

The label needs to get behind the album, like, now, if they want it to go platinum.

Just curious, what more would you like them to do??

Don't think they're anything they can do. ?My experience is that Contraband was much better else than anything else rock when it came out but on a standalone basis, the album was quite weak. ?I have habit of playing records all the time when I buy one. That one didn't last more than a few days. ?I doubt this is a unique experience.

Given that background, I was interested but skeptical in hearing the new material. I saw/heard the guys on Jay Leno (I think) and that song they played was really bad. Assuming that should be one of the best songs of the record, that leads me to think the whole record can't be that good. ?No way I'm buying that record.

Paris - 06/06/1992
Paris - 07/13/1993
NYC - 12/05/2002
NYC - 05/12/2006
NYC - 05/14/2006
NYC - 05/17/2006,
E. Rutherford - 11/05/2006
NYC - 11/10/2006
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #161 on: July 13, 2007, 04:35:58 PM »

The label needs to get behind the album, like, now, if they want it to go platinum.

Just curious, what more would you like them to do??

Don't think they're anything they can do. ?My experience is that Contraband was much better else than anything else rock when it came out but on a standalone basis, the album was quite weak. ?I have habit of playing records all the time when I buy one. That one didn't last more than a few days. ?I doubt this is a unique experience.

Given that background, I was interested but skeptical in hearing the new material. I saw/heard the guys on Jay Leno (I think) and that song they played was really bad. Assuming that should be one of the best songs of the record, that leads me to think the whole record can't be that good. ?No way I'm buying that record.

It's a good solid album.  Not spectacular, but good.  I remember Mick Wall describing it as "fun".  That pretty much sums it up.  There really aren't any songs on the album that I dislike, then again there aren't many that I love either.  Good songs, not great.  I still like Contraband better, but MOST people seem to prefer Libertad.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #162 on: July 13, 2007, 05:19:58 PM »

After hating the album for a week I am now madly in love with it.

I actually love every single song *which was predicted by someone on here*

Anyhow:

The Last Fight to me is not a good single.

ITs actually one of my least fav on the album and definitely my least fav ballad.

It starts out really good, the thing is, It just never goes anywhere

This is the type of song I can picture turning the radio dial halfway through cause it just kinda stays the same and never really does anything to make u go crazy.

Fall To Pieces was an excellent ballad. It had SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much emotion and relatable lyrics.

I just don't think many can relate to The Last Fight's lyrics.

This is why Messages needs to be on the album.

Messages would make this album explode.

I have been having one of the worst days of my life today, I mean really shitty day where I just felt like driving my car over a cliff.

I listened to "Messages" over and over and over and I cried like a kid for about 10 minutes.

I was thinking of "What If" I died right now and the lines in that song just melted me and would do the same for so many people.

This song doesnt have to be about 9/11 which is where they fucked up

I took the lines

You made my life worth living? ?and I pray someday u will be happy, without me

As in, If I end my life right now, My Fiancee, My mom, brothers, those lines would be for them u know? They made my life worth living this long and someday I hope u will be happy without me.  Its like a big fuckin apology........

those are lines everyone would scream out loud and can relate to. Melodies, guitar parts and lyrics like that sell the fuck out of records.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 05:21:47 PM by D » Logged

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #163 on: July 13, 2007, 06:16:25 PM »

Libertad has fallen out of the iTunes top 10

http://www.apple.com/itunes/weekly/
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #164 on: July 13, 2007, 06:31:34 PM »

Libertad has fallen out of the iTunes top 10

http://www.apple.com/itunes/weekly/

It's no surprise.  I thought about buying it, but it was $14 or $18 (depending on which version), and I could fill out my Aerosmith collection for $11.  That's a no brainer, that is!

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #165 on: July 14, 2007, 01:30:14 PM »

Jesus, am I the only person who really likes Contraband?

i thought contraband was fucking awesome...this new album blows....
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #166 on: July 14, 2007, 01:34:38 PM »

there are a few reasons that contraband did better than libertad in its first week......

1. contraband is better than libertad

2. cd sales are going down every year because of downloading.

3. She builds quick machines was a shitty choice as a first single

4. the single got no radio airlplay.

5.  this is probably the most important reason.....Guns N Roses are around touring and being active....alot of the curiosity about VR was because GNR were nowhere to be found...
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #167 on: July 14, 2007, 02:12:41 PM »

Lets get real people... Contraband was a solid album... I like it better then Libertad

Libertad took 3 years in full to come out, and it wasn't worth it, even thought it's a good record.

Sales do matter and this week we all saw that..

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #168 on: July 14, 2007, 02:14:39 PM »

5.? this is probably the most important reason.....Guns N Roses are around touring and being active....alot of the curiosity about VR was because GNR were nowhere to be found...

Give me a break... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 02:31:19 PM by Eazy E » Logged
chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #169 on: July 14, 2007, 04:48:36 PM »

5.? this is probably the most important reason.....Guns N Roses are around touring and being active....alot of the curiosity about VR was because GNR were nowhere to be found...

LOL omg, what planet are you living on, I hope that was a joke
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #170 on: July 14, 2007, 10:48:13 PM »

5.  this is probably the most important reason.....Guns N Roses are around touring and being active....alot of the curiosity about VR was because GNR were nowhere to be found...

Nope, just your own wishful thinking.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #171 on: July 15, 2007, 02:43:41 AM »

That may be a rash statemet, BUT I've gotta say I'm a GNR fan first and foremost and back when Contraband came out and GNR were in hibernation I was completely stoked for the album.  This time around I was excited, I played it for about a week straight in my car but soon switched back to NEW GNR.  Bottom line, I'm not AS excited as long as Axl is active.  So that statement holds SOME truth, at least with me.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #172 on: July 15, 2007, 03:07:20 AM »

I think to a lot of GnR fans it very much holds true.  The rest of the world, maybe not.   
Billo
VIP

"soon" is the word....SOON :)

« Reply #173 on: July 15, 2007, 04:01:08 AM »

Who cares about sales..I liked CB....i think it had 4 Very good songs and slither was a big hit and helped the CD really take off... I really love Libertad..i think its great...atm i really like every song apart from maybe 2 of them..and i Really like about 5...so i dont care about sales.. peace Its another Great album..much better than most other music bands out there atm.

If u love guns the wait it allmost over..HEHE
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #174 on: July 15, 2007, 05:57:36 AM »

I think we can also chalk this up to the record industry basically being in free fall. I didn't realize how bad things really were until NIN, Manson, and now Velvet Revolver all debuted far, far below their standard and the general expectations.

Have you checked figures for Bon Jovi's Lost Highway ?

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #175 on: July 15, 2007, 03:51:58 PM »

what wishful thinking?? I had a bet with my friend that VR would debut at number 1 ahead of T.I's new album..and I lost and had to pay him...I wanted this record to do well, and considering the first one did over 250,00 the first week i thought this one would do way better....personally i was less stoked about this record because there are new GNR songs out and they are touring....and no matter how much you want to defend libertad it is nowhere near as good as contraband...its like me saying that Lies is better than Appetite....wake up.....the funny thing is you guys think im attacking VR meanwhile I have seen them in concert 7 times and bought both records the second they came out...im just stating some reasons as to why this record flopped....93,000 for a band that once sold 250,000 only a few years back is a failure....so far...RCA did a real shitty job of promoting it too
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #176 on: July 15, 2007, 04:05:41 PM »

I say they need to basically relaunch the album. Another single right away, DEFINATELY NOT a ballad, simple cheap video since they tried going all out on the last one and it doesn't seem to be getting much play, keep up on the appearances as much as possible, and the label should put some ads in magazines and on television. I personally like the album alot and even tho I would like it to be successful, most bands I listen to aren't that successful ever so it doesn't mean the world to me or anything. However if I was at RCA or one of the guys in VR I think this is the route they should go.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Demon Wolf
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #177 on: July 15, 2007, 08:30:17 PM »

Well, Linkin Park sold three million copies already....

Here today...gone to China to bring back Democracy!

- My covers of If The World n' Catcher In The Rye - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FOfNxtBjQbQ&feature=channel_page
GeraldFord
« Reply #178 on: July 16, 2007, 10:01:46 AM »

Well, Linkin Park sold three million copies already....

Uggh.

Now that's just sad...
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #179 on: July 16, 2007, 10:42:47 AM »

i think libertad is 10 times better than contraband, i definitely like it.

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: