Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2024, 05:19:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228140 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Libertad debuts well below Contraband
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Libertad debuts well below Contraband  (Read 92029 times)
MrBrownstone527
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2007, 10:49:29 AM »

damn thats pretty low,  i woulda thought they would sell more than that,  at this rate do u think the album will even go gold?
GNRslave
Rocker

"turn on the tv cuz i got nowhere to go..."

« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2007, 10:55:43 AM »

damn thats pretty low,  i woulda thought they would sell more than that,  at this rate do u think the album will even go gold?

of course the album will go gold, when they release "the last fight" it will pick up steam, plus the summer tour starts in a day or 2 so sales from their great live show will boost from that as well. i believe it will be platinum before the end of the year despite the disappointing 1st week sales

"gonna wave it right down in your face"
http://www.myspace.com/5232978
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2007, 11:19:09 AM »

well if the industry didnt charge so much, and didnt rip fans and bands off so much, it would be in a better state.

html sucks
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2007, 12:21:21 PM »

Let's be perfectly honest.  Most buyers of music are ridiculously stupid.  They'll buy whatever is played on MTV and seems popular.  A LOT of good albums don't sell, because the label doesn't push it or because their label is too small to push it against the big label releases.  But if the label wants it to go platinum, all they have to do is support it and people will buy it.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
novrain91
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2007, 12:40:04 PM »

I like all the guys (well maybe not Scott or Dave that much) in Velvet Revolver, but this is a fucking weak album man!!! It's funny how Duff and Slash are always tallking about being rock n roll, etc and they come out with a lame turd like this.  I wonder if Scott is somehow bringing them down?? The album isn't horrible, but it's not very good either.  Just a bunch of lame/bland songs.  Except for Messages, good song.  What's up with leaving your only really good song off the album? Are they that dumb? Or am I missing something?
Rocker_GNR
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2007, 12:49:38 PM »

I'd like to know how have been the Libertad advertising in America, have been stronger than Contraband?
For example, Advertising of Libertad here in Chile have been = 0, in Argentina and Brazil is stronger I think so...

Old Fan of Guns N ' Roses - "That is not dead which can eternal lie / And with strange aeons even death ..."
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2007, 01:05:21 PM »

Let's be perfectly honest.  Most buyers of music are ridiculously stupid.  They'll buy whatever is played on MTV and seems popular.  A LOT of good albums don't sell, because the label doesn't push it or because their label is too small to push it against the big label releases.  But if the label wants it to go platinum, all they have to do is support it and people will buy it.

I think it's a little more complicated than that otherwise every album that gets promotion would go platinum.  There are a lot of heavily promoted albums that flop (and a lot of other products in other industries that are heavily advertised and fail).  It takes a lot of combined factors to get a hit album, even though the "true" quality of the album or the music isn't high on that list, it is still important that the targeted demographic/fanbase thinks the album is good if you want repeat business

Ironically even though they sued to prevent its release, Greatest Hits did a great job of promoting Velvet Revolver.  It was selling very well and GnR especially the classic lineup was getting more publicity than they had in years.  So of course the band with Slash and Duff, about to release their debut, benefitted from that

Promotion only works if people buy into the promotion.  The demographic that they have to sell Libertad to is the same one they sold Contraband to.  But RCA put all their eggs in one basket with the way they marketed Velvet Revolver.  So thanks in no small part to the way Contraband was marketed, a lot of paying customers were disappointed in the product.  They went in expecting something it to combine the music of GnR with the vocals and hooks of STP and got something else. 

A lot of paying customers were disappointed in the results of Contraband.  Now you combine all that with a lead single that a lot of people think is corny and lame, and you see the results.  Despite how amazing a lot of hardcore Slash fans who love everything he does think this album is, most people just don't care and they're not going to be fooled twice into believing that this band is awesome just because of the bands these guys used to be in. 

And making an album of full of poppy, unaggressive music sure isn't going to win back people who bought the first album because they're Guns N' Roses fans.    No matter how hard they marketed this album it never would've sold even close to as well as Contraband
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 01:08:46 PM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
GeraldFord
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2007, 01:14:12 PM »

Then why does someone like Creed and Nickelback sell 6 million copies of an album?

Even if Libertad sucks, which it doesn't, it would sell better if it got more promotion.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2007, 01:17:37 PM »

I think it's a little more complicated than that otherwise every album that gets promotion would go platinum.  There are a lot of heavily promoted albums that flop (and a lot of other products in other industries that are heavily advertised and fail).  It takes a lot of combined factors to get a hit album, even though the "true" quality of the album or the music isn't high on that list, it is still important that the targeted demographic/fanbase thinks the album is good if you want repeat business.

Yes, my explanation was an oversimplification, but I do think that simply promoting it to the musically retarded (MTV fanatics) will get results.  Of course, it was a bit easier back when MTV still played music.  hihi 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
novrain91
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2007, 01:24:29 PM »

Then why does someone like Creed and Nickelback sell 6 million copies of an album?

Even if Libertad sucks, which it doesn't, it would sell better if it got more promotion.

Well actually Creed selling 6 million was their lowest sales total.  They sold over 30 million albums on only 3 albums.  Regardless of their talent, that's pretty impressive.  And to answer your question, apparently mainstream people like their music.  They put out accessible rock songs that people/radio ate up time and time again. 
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2007, 01:25:48 PM »

Because they have easily digestable, catchy, inoffensive hit single after hit single

Their music is shit in my opinion and yours and many others.  But the people who buy their albums like them, and there are a lot of those people.  If not Nickelback would've faded into obscurity a long time ago.  They've been big since 2001, with multi-platinum albums released in 2001, 2003, and 2005. 

I think Nickelback is lame.  But the people they are marketed to like them, and they don't shit on their fanbase, and because of that their albums continue to sell and sell and sell. 

Contraband didn't live up to the hype and expectations of a large portion of its target audience.  So the second time around they aren't selling nearly as well.  And make a softer, less aggressive album sure as hell isn't going to win back GnR fans that were disappointed with Contraband.  SBQM is a "hit" because RCA has used its power to get it into heavy rotation on the radio.  It's a "hit" but nobody actually likes it

Look, Slash and Duff and Scott Weiland's fame and popularity has already peaked.  They're not going to get anymore popular at this point.  Most people who actually care know that Velvet Revolver has a new album out.  A large portion of the 3 million people worldwide who bought Contraband just aren't going to buy this album, no matter how hard they market it
GeraldFord
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2007, 01:30:28 PM »

But if songs like "American Man" and "Mary Mary" got a big push, more people would buy the album.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2007, 01:37:09 PM »

Because they have easily digestable, catchy, inoffensive hit single after hit single

Their music is shit in my opinion and yours and many others.? But the people who buy their albums like them, and there are a lot of those people.? If not Nickelback would've faded into obscurity a long time ago.? They've been big since 2001, with multi-platinum albums released in 2001, 2003, and 2005.?

I think Nickelback is lame.? But the people they are marketed to like them, and they don't shit on their fanbase, and because of that their albums continue to sell and sell and sell.?

Contraband didn't live up to the hype and expectations of a large portion of its target audience.? So the second time around they aren't selling nearly as well.? And make a softer, less aggressive album sure as hell isn't going to win back GnR fans that were disappointed with Contraband.? SBQM is a "hit" because RCA has used its power to get it into heavy rotation on the radio.? It's a "hit" but nobody actually likes it

Look, Slash and Duff and Scott Weiland's fame and popularity has already peaked.? They're not going to get anymore popular at this point.? Most people who actually care know that Velvet Revolver has a new album out.? A large portion of the 3 million people worldwide who bought Contraband just aren't going to buy this album, no matter how hard they market it

It hasn't sold as well initially, but perhaps we should give it a while before giving final judgement on the performance of this record.  It may be a matter of proper promotion, at least in part.  I haven't really seen any promotion for this record, to be honest.

Ali
snakepipero
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2007, 01:37:47 PM »

Let's be perfectly honest.? Most buyers of music are ridiculously stupid.? They'll buy whatever is played on MTV and seems popular.? A LOT of good albums don't sell, because the label doesn't push it or because their label is too small to push it against the big label releases.? But if the label wants it to go platinum, all they have to do is support it and people will buy it.

the most intelligent and objective words here in my opinion ?ok yes
jak0lantern01
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2007, 01:38:21 PM »

Meanbone1980 (I assume it's the year of your birth, junior), the reason why we (my band) wouldn't touch anything from Libertad is due to the fact that it's lame pop-rock. I'm not going to sit here and gush over an album that sounds sub-par like some others here do just to say I like it. But, judging by what FM radio is offering the masses today, I guess it is a wee bit better than Nickelback. So to say it's too hard to play, I don't think so, not by a long shot. My preferred speed these days is more along the lines of Avenged Sevenfold, I enjoy the challenge of playing their stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love Slash and all and have finally broken away from his style after years of emulation, but go learn your pentatonics and blues scales, and you've got 90% or better of his solos. I'll also throw Slash a bit more credit, just so I'm not sitting here sounding like I'm slagging him or something, but Axl needs three lead guitars on stage to cover the ground that Slash did originally. That, and I still am looking forward to seeing VR in August when they're in N.Y. Libertad is a nice attempt at something 'different', but these guys should really stick to what they do best, hard rock, not easy listening.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2007, 01:40:10 PM »

But if songs like "American Man" and "Mary Mary" got a big push, more people would buy the album.

Okay, but SBQM got a big push, they got it onto CSI, it's high on the album charts.  Sure, a few more high charting singles will make some more people go out and buy the album.  But a band that already has a fairly clear, well established fanbase/demographic like VR, it's all about getting repeat business from that demographic.  I don't see Mary, Mary or American Man making a bunch of GnR fans that were letdown by Contraband go "I gotta go buy that album!".  As I said, their target audience for this album is exactly the same target audience for Contraband.  And for several different reasons, a lot of those people just aren't going to buy this album
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2007, 02:06:17 PM »

SBQM is a "hit" because RCA has used its power to get it into heavy rotation on the radio.  It's a "hit" but nobody actually likes it.

I've never thought of "hits" that way.  rofl

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
jak0lantern01
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2007, 02:14:31 PM »

They force this material down everyone's throat with no other options, how can it not be a hit? It's called corporate radio for the masses. There's a reason why cheeseball bands like Nickelback can continue on.........
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2007, 02:16:51 PM »

SBQM is a "hit" because RCA has used its power to get it into heavy rotation on the radio.  It's a "hit" but nobody actually likes it.

I've never thought of "hits" that way.  rofl

It's sad but true man

It happens all the time.  These radio stations play what the record labels want them to play.  Once in a while you see a hit song come out of nowhere with no label promotion because the listeners demand it, like Buckcherry did with Crazy Bitch last year, but mostly what gets played on the radio is the result of record label pressures.  Oh sure, "payola" is illegal but it still happens rampantly  Cool
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2007, 02:36:14 PM »

The 2 week old Lost highway by Bon jovi sold more copies this week than Libertad's debut

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: