Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 11:28:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228477 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Scott Weiland Interview Washington Post
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott Weiland Interview Washington Post  (Read 39996 times)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2007, 12:58:15 PM »

Considering how much shit they say about my favorite band, I try to keep up with it and point out how things have changed.

Only somebody like you would have a problem with that on a GN'R fan site.

So that explains all of the non-GNR-related posts you make in this section.  Like I said, Im sure youre believed.  The more smilies you use, the more convincing you seem.

Doesn't sound like an STP fan to me...

I had never seen Scott perform before last Thursday. I had never been to a Stone Temple Pilots show, I didn't even have their records

Is this incompatible with what the statement I quoted?  In that one, he said he knew and liked Scott/STP from the radio. 
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2007, 01:05:31 PM »

Well Booker, if I was so fucking interested in the band, how come I didn't get the cd yet or travel abroad to see them live?

Maybe because I heard the EP,  watched some live clips and decided, their music doesn't do anything for me.

But the interviews are sometimes entertaining.

Like when one guy says they won't play any GN'R songs anymore only to be told they sure as hell will......

Having a guy who can't write a great song to save his life comment on others' songs is also fun.

Because to you, Scott has a point. "He has had 10547850404 Top 20 hits".

While to me, that doesn't mean shit since I never liked his songs in the first place.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2007, 01:07:52 PM »

Considering how much shit they say about my favorite band, I try to keep up with it and point out how things have changed.

Only somebody like you would have a problem with that on a GN'R fan site.

So that explains all of the non-GNR-related posts you make in this section.? Like I said, Im sure youre believed.? The more smilies you use, the more convincing you seem.

Doesn't sound like an STP fan to me...

I had never seen Scott perform before last Thursday. I had never been to a Stone Temple Pilots show, I didn't even have their records

Is this incompatible with what the statement I quoted?? In that one, he said he knew and liked Scott/STP from the radio.?

Yes, it is somewhat incompatible. ?If he liked them why wasn't he one of the 25 million people that bought at least one STP record? ?That statement, together with Slash's past bashing of grunge music, while not "proof" is certainly evidence that he did not like STP.
RTK
Headliner

« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2007, 01:09:29 PM »

Matt and Scott both have big mouths and love to hear themselves talk, and they say stupid things to the press from time to time. 

Like Matt saying in Rolling Stone that if the cash was right he might consider a GN'R reunion.  Two major flaws in that statement.  One - Adler would be the reunion drummer, and two - who would actually offer Matt alot of money to do anything?  He's a tool, not a star.

wrong...Adler most certainly would NOT be the reunion drummer for the simple reason he would be unable to play most of what was on the Illusions due to the fact that Sorum is a 10 times better drummer than him......that aside...i find it amusing how VR continously brings up Axl Rose, and I am yet to hear the words "velvet revolver" come out of Axl's mouth....

Roll Eyes Right, well when Axl starts talking, let me know, because I'm sure he'll get asked about VR (if he doesnt have a policy of being asked about old members).

Btw, although STP at first was similar in sound to the other "grunge" bands, by the time STP broke up and Scott joined VR, his voice, and songwriting had drastically evolved and barely had any resemblance to grunge.  So the fact that Slash hated Pearl Jam, doesnt mean that he couldn't stand Scott Weiland's singing or songwriting abilities.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2007, 01:10:09 PM »

Slash liked Alice In Chains and Soundgarden as far as I remember.

He didn't like Pearl Jam and he thought what ever they were going through was great to watch.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2007, 01:11:49 PM »

He didn't like Pearl Jam and he thought what ever they were going through was great to watch.

/jarmo

I remember Slash said on his website that he respected Jerry Cantrell as a guitar player.  I don't remember any comments about the band.

Ali
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2007, 01:12:05 PM »

Yes, it is somewhat incompatible.

So in order to like a singer/band, one has to buy their records or go to their shows? 

Slashs statement - that he liked what he heard on the radio - isnt possible?

Okay.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »

Do you have any proof that VR are doing what they want?

RCA picked the first single.

Clive Davis was involved enough to point out one of the songs needed a solo.

In all fairness there is not a band in the world who isn't paying for their own record independently that doesn't answer to the label.

It is the cost of doing business. Hell, the label told GNR that there would be no Don't Cry or November Rain on Appetite, so does that make them label slaves? Of course not, because there is going to be a give and take between the 2 parties. In an interview from sometime around 200 Axl himself said that after listening to some of the stuff they were working on they said to go back and add things to the songs to make them better. That is what Clive Davis did as well, it is part of the record company's job; not a sign the artist is a puppet for the record company.

People are way too quick to jump on the Clive Davis thing when what he did is not the exception, but the rule.

In terms of the whole picking Scott as the singer thing, I have no doubt that commercial viability played a role in the decision making process, although certainly wasn't the only consideration. Again, not a band on the planet that hasn't made one decision or another at some point in the history of the band that has not been influenced by the commercial prospects of something. If anyone believes otherwise I have a bridge to sell you in New York.

Currently Matt appears to be the exception to the rule and is actually getting more immature as he grows older. He hasn't used his head for anything other than a hat rack for about 6 months now it appears.

Scott is also way too insecure right now about a whole host of issues. I know he is tempermental, but you'd think after 4 years now he would be a little more used to certain things than he appears to be. He might be better off as a solo artist as human interaction doesn't seem to work all that well for him over the long term.
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2007, 01:19:17 PM »

/jarmo

I bet he liked it when the piano came out!

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2007, 01:20:42 PM »

Matt and Scott both have big mouths and love to hear themselves talk, and they say stupid things to the press from time to time.?

Like Matt saying in Rolling Stone that if the cash was right he might consider a GN'R reunion. ?Two major flaws in that statement. ?One - Adler would be the reunion drummer, and two - who would actually offer Matt alot of money to do anything? ?He's a tool, not a star.

wrong...Adler most certainly would NOT be the reunion drummer for the simple reason he would be unable to play most of what was on the Illusions due to the fact that Sorum is a 10 times better drummer than him......that aside...i find it amusing how VR continously brings up Axl Rose, and I am yet to hear the words "velvet revolver" come out of Axl's mouth....

Adler owns Sorum. ?But you are entitled to your opinion as well.

I don't think Axl gives two shits about VR, honestly. ?Scott and Matt can run their mouths all they want. ?That doesn't change the fact that VR was just a story people found interesting. ?GN'R alumnists giving it another go. ?The music is mediocre at best and the Libertad sales prove it. ?

Meanwhile, Axl and Co. sell out arenas to rave reviews where ever they go. ?All they're missing of course is the album.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2007, 01:21:10 PM »

Naupis, that's the record business.

But not all bands act all "bad ass" or claim to be all unpredictable/dangerous either while being puppets.

No need to bring GN'R into this, some VR fans don't like it. Unless GN'R is used as an example to make VR seem "great".  rofl

/jarmo

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2007, 01:23:02 PM »

Currently Matt appears to be the exception to the rule and is actually getting more immature as he grows older. He hasn't used his head for anything other than a hat rack for about 6 months now it appears.

Hes actually been quite diplomatic until very recently.  Im not sure why he changed his tone - I dont think anybody is - and it is disappointing, but his previous diplomacy should be noted.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2007, 01:28:03 PM »

Hes actually been quite diplomatic until very recently.? Im not sure why he changed his tone - I dont think anybody is - and it is disappointing, but his previous diplomacy should be noted.

It's not just that he changed his tone, he changed his stance towards Axl with seemingly no interaction since they met last year.? In his blog where he wrote about meeting Axl in NYC, he said there were no hard feelings.? Then, he comes back and slams him in RS.? It just seems odd after so much time to all of a sudden do that.

Ali
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2007, 01:28:59 PM »

Unless GN'R is used as an example to make VR seem "great".

I was just using them because it is an example we can all relate to, and it was a compliment that towards GNR as well considering I used them as the example of dealing with the label while still not being considered sellouts for doing so. If you have a better example I will modify my post for you ?Wink
RTK
Headliner

« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2007, 01:47:37 PM »

Hes actually been quite diplomatic until very recently.  Im not sure why he changed his tone - I dont think anybody is - and it is disappointing, but his previous diplomacy should be noted.

It's not just that he changed his tone, he changed his stance towards Axl with seemingly no interaction since they met last year.  In his blog where he wrote about meeting Axl in NYC, he said there were no hard feelings.  Then, he comes back and slams him in RS.  It just seems odd after so much time to all of a sudden do that.

Ali

I don't know, having heard Matt talk and having read many interviews with him, i feel that the tone of the RS interview and the way it was put out seems to be innacurate.  Either Sorum was having a bad day, and seeing as how the interview was not that recent, he might have been still feeling the effects of having lost his brother, or maybe he was a bit drunk, or possibly Matt was joking or trying to sound macho when he said what he said about Axl and the idea of GNR and STP reunions. 

Just rereading it, it doesn't sound like something he would say if he were level headed and not influenced by some unknown factor.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2007, 01:56:10 PM »

They teamed up with a lead singer who became famous during the same era and within the same musical genre as a Slash "hates" and was even widely accused of sounding like that band's lead singer.

This is not evidence, just your own biased, ridiculous speculation.  Id expect you to at least know the difference.

Not speculation at all

"Next thing you know, [Axl] wants to be Pearl Jam, right? Why? I hate Pearl Jam anyway, so what's the point? And it's great to watch Pearl Jam going through what they're going through, cos I'm going, "See Axl?""

Direct quote from Slash in 1995.  In 1995 he "hated" Pearl Jam.  His own words.  No speculation needed. 

Then later down the road teams up with the lead singer of a band who was basically the same genre as Pearl Jam.  And it's not "speculation" that Scott Weiland's voice especially on the first few STP albums was by and large considered similar to Eddie Vedder's.  No speculation there, it's true.  It's a bit hard to believe that someone could "hate" Pearl Jam and like STP, given the similarities between the styles of their most popular albums as well as the similarities in the voices of the lead singers, especially considering Pearl Jam came onto the scene before STP

Somehow it's hard to believe Slash heard Alive or Even Flow on the radio and thought "this sucks".  Then he heard Plush and Wicked Garden and thought "this is great". 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 02:14:56 PM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
Ali
Legend

« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2007, 01:56:56 PM »

Hes actually been quite diplomatic until very recently.? Im not sure why he changed his tone - I dont think anybody is - and it is disappointing, but his previous diplomacy should be noted.

It's not just that he changed his tone, he changed his stance towards Axl with seemingly no interaction since they met last year.? In his blog where he wrote about meeting Axl in NYC, he said there were no hard feelings.? Then, he comes back and slams him in RS.? It just seems odd after so much time to all of a sudden do that.

Ali

I don't know, having heard Matt talk and having read many interviews with him, i feel that the tone of the RS interview and the way it was put out seems to be innacurate.? Either Sorum was having a bad day, and seeing as how the interview was not that recent, he might have been still feeling the effects of having lost his brother, or maybe he was a bit drunk, or possibly Matt was joking or trying to sound macho when he said what he said about Axl and the idea of GNR and STP reunions.?

Just rereading it, it doesn't sound like something he would say if he were level headed and not influenced by some unknown factor.

Well, in all fairness, with an interview, you know your comments are going to be published. ?If what he said wasn't representative of how he feels, then he should have made a more concerted effort to pick his words more carefully so his feelings wouldn't be misinterpreted. ?If he cares.

Second, I'm sorry, but being under the influence of any factor, emotional or otherwise, doesn't change the fact that he said what he said. ?He made the comments voluntary and another thing to consider is that he didn't just take a shot at Axl in that interview, he took a shot at STP as well. ?Maybe he was having a bad day, but you gotta know when you are being interviewed that your comments are liable to published so you have to watch what you say if you don't want to be misinterpreted.

Ali
RTK
Headliner

« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2007, 01:59:11 PM »

It's not just that he changed his tone, he changed his stance towards Axl with seemingly no interaction since they met last year.  In his blog where he wrote about meeting Axl in NYC, he said there were no hard feelings.  Then, he comes back and slams him in RS.  It just seems odd after so much time to all of a sudden do that.

Ali

I don't know, having heard Matt talk and having read many interviews with him, i feel that the tone of the RS interview and the way it was put out seems to be innacurate.  Either Sorum was having a bad day, and seeing as how the interview was not that recent, he might have been still feeling the effects of having lost his brother, or maybe he was a bit drunk, or possibly Matt was joking or trying to sound macho when he said what he said about Axl and the idea of GNR and STP reunions. 

Well, in all fairness, with an interview, you know your comments are going to be published.  If what he said wasn't representative of how he feels, then he should have made a more concerted effort to pick his words more carefully so his feelings wouldn't be misinterpreted.  If he cares.

Second, I'm sorry, but being under the influence of any factor, emotional or otherwise, doesn't change the fact that he said what he said.  He made the comments voluntary and another thing to consider is that he didn't just take a shot at Axl in that interview, he took a shot at STP as well.  Maybe he was having a bad day, but you gotta know when you are being interviewed that your comments are liable to published so you have to watch what you say if you don't want to be misinterpreted.

Ali

That's very true and a good point, but I feel that if asked the same questions today, he would not say the same thing.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2007, 02:21:58 PM »

So in order to like a singer/band, one has to buy their records or go to their shows??

Slashs statement - that he liked what he heard on the radio - isnt possible?

Okay.

You'd have a point if we were debating over what's possible.  It's possible that, notwithstanding that Slash never saw STP live, didn't have any of their records, hated Pearl Jam, generally wasn't into to grunge, and whose music up to then had almost no common ground with STP, he was a closet STP groupie.  Given all that, however, it's more probable than not that he did not like them.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2007, 02:32:59 PM »

You havent heard many words come out of Axls mouth recently, have you?? So its kind of a fatuous point, isnt it?

Yet you have heard (read) the words "Slash," "Duff," and "Matt" since each left.

Actually Axl has had an open forum to rip VR and Scott Weiland at any of the sold out GNR shows over the past year and a half....and hasnt done it...its funny how Sorum accuses Axl of being "so jealous" of VR, but VR are the ones who can't shut up about Axl...VR are the ones who seem jealous, and when they watch Axl play sold out shows all over the world to fans that could care less if Slash, Duff, or Matt are there, who could blame them.... If I were them I would spend less time thinking about Guns N Roses and more time trying to push out that second single that is supposed to save their record before "Libertad" falls off the Billboard 200 completely....
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: