Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 01:37:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228477 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Scott Weiland Interview Washington Post
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott Weiland Interview Washington Post  (Read 40022 times)
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2007, 09:59:57 AM »

Too much pride to audition for the Stones - maybe when he gets as big as The Stones he can say that.....

Many artists consider joining an established act and playing predominantly other people's material as selling out their artistic integrity. If you want to use that definition as having too much pride, then we are talking about the same thing. You think any front man worth his salt would want to join a band, even one as big as the Rolling Stones, so that they could sing Mick Jagger songs all night? Slash would never join an established group to play someone elses guitar parts, just as Axl wouldn't have ever joined a band to sing other singers music.

Saying you wouldn't tryout for the Stones or any other big established band is not having too much pride, it is having self-respect and artistic integrity. I can't believe any artist out there who has helped build a band into a major act could ever join another established act as riding someone elses coat tails could never give them the satisfaction they got from doing it on their own.

Maybe he was bashing the guys that are currently in GN'R? hihi

That too - the whole article is just loaded with veiled references!  Roll Eyes

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
guns_n_motley
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2007, 10:09:13 AM »

IMO vr is done. we will get a live album and they will break up.

their schtick is gone. Now, I would hope slash/duff/matt continue to work together and get a real hard rock guitarist like izzy and then get a RNR singer and just make a balls out guitar rock record.

thats what I miss with VR. it isnt a balls out RNR record
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2007, 10:24:56 AM »

The negativity in this band at the moment certainly suggests that it might end sooner than later, and Im fine with that. 

What's this? Can I quote you on that?  hihi

Wow, you must really love this band while secretly hoping for that STP reunion.

Some people have seen these sings a long time ago and were labeled "Axl fans".

This guy basically slanders Izzy. He really must have a tough time living under the GN'R shadow.

His comments about the songs sounding like STP makes sense. No wonder I find VR's music bland and boring. That's what STP was to me too!

It's like the band Bush, music made for the US radio. Elevator music for teenagers.  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2007, 10:29:28 AM »

IMO vr is done. we will get a live album and they will break up.

their schtick is gone. Now, I would hope slash/duff/matt continue to work together and get a real hard rock guitarist like izzy and then get a RNR singer and just make a balls out guitar rock record.

thats what I miss with VR. it isnt a balls out RNR record

Izzy won't be involved if if they bring in another lead singer. ?This interview by Scott is a perfect example of everything Izzy wanted to avoid. ?His instincts were right on the money - you bring in a frontman with a strong personality and it will compromise their musical integrity. ?Granted, without Scott they wouldn't have the exposure and commercial success that they've had (at least with Contraband). ?So, congratulations, Slash and Duff. ?You abandoned the "atrocious" music that was true to your souls in exchange for one commercially successful album and feeling "relevant" again. ?And now your frontman is openly talking about reuniting with his old band. ?To paraphrase Duff's recent comments about Axl - they made their bed, now they can lie in it.

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2007, 11:24:31 AM »

Secretly?  If it was a secret, I wouldnt have just said it.

Heres another "secret": I hope the original Guns N' Roses reunites.  Feel free to quote that.
I think I explained it pretty clearly: I think the band has had a great run thus far, which is why Im fine with it ending. You missed this sentence:

If they choose to stay together, Im fine with that too.

Im a fan of STP and VR.  Im fine with either one.  Its a win-win for me. 

If youre referring to yourself and the handful of other posters who do nothing but make negative posts in this section, you are "Axl fans."  Some people saw those signs a long time ago, when you kept stating how you saw VR five times. 

This guy basically slanders Izzy.

Do you know the meaning of "slander?"  Where does he do this?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2007, 11:35:15 AM »

Heres another "secret": I hope the original Guns N' Roses reunites.  Feel free to quote that.

That's not exactly a secret.

I figured you were one of those people.

I think I explained it pretty clearly: I think the band has had a great run thus far, which is why Im fine with it ending. You missed this sentence:

What a long career they had huh?

Two albums.

If youre referring to yourself and the handful of other posters who do nothing but make negative posts in this section, you are "Axl fans."  Some people saw those signs a long time ago, when you kept stating how you saw VR five times. 

Yeah, I was being told I hate the band... Which is kinda funny considering how little interest I have in them now, two-three years later.  rofl

Do you know the meaning of "slander?"  Where does he do this?

I said "basically".

I think his comments were disrespectful, but then again coming from that ass clown it's hardly surprising.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2007, 11:37:59 AM »

Secretly?? If it was a secret, I wouldnt have just said it.

Heres another "secret": I hope the original Guns N' Roses reunites.? Feel free to quote that.

If they choose to stay together, Im fine with that too.

Im a fan of STP and VR.? Im fine with either one.? Its a win-win for me.?

If youre referring to yourself and the handful of other posters who do nothing but make negative posts in this section, you are "Axl fans."? Some people saw those signs a long time ago, when you kept stating how you saw VR five times.?

This guy basically slanders Izzy.

Do you know the meaning of "slander?"? Where does he do this?

He took a shot at Izzy's writing ability.  I think Scott has great stage presence and a great, well-crafted vocal instrument, but as a writer, he has nothing on Izzy.  I've never heard a song that Izzy wrote with Duff and Slash while he was in GN'R that was anything approaching atrocious, so while it may be true the material wasn't superb, I have a hard time believing it was atrocious.

Ali
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2007, 11:38:38 AM »

So, congratulations, Slash and Duff.  You abandoned the "atrocious" music that was true to your souls in exchange for one commercially successful album and feeling "relevant" again. 

This is incorrect.  A good deal of that albums music was written prior to Scott joining, along with the Izzy material.  Since this is the case, that music was no less "true to [their] souls" than the Izzy stuff. 

As for compromising their musical integrity, theres no evidence of that.  Compromise is natural within a band - its the reason GNR released "November Rain" and other similar songs.  I think thats quite different than compromising ones musical integrity. 
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2007, 11:41:58 AM »

As for compromising their musical integrity, theres no evidence of that. 

Of course not.  Roll Eyes

Do you really think RCA signed them and let them do what they want?

/jarmo

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2007, 11:48:54 AM »

His instincts were right on the money - you bring in a frontman with a strong personality and it will compromise their musical integrity.  Granted, without Scott they wouldn't have the exposure and commercial success that they've had (at least with Contraband).  So, congratulations, Slash and Duff

Remember the interview from back in like 1995 where Slash was slamming Axl because Axl wanted to be like Pearl Jam or something along those lines and that he (Slash) "hates Pearl Jam" or whatever, and then 9 years later he teams up with Scott Weiland who is still to this day best known for his work in the alternative/grunge scene of the early 90's, and that now it's Slash whose latest album is full of songs that sound like B-side STP tracks?  Kind of ironic
sjgotnitro
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2007, 11:52:26 AM »

This interview just shows me why i do not like him.

His lyrics suck, his vocals suck and his attitude sucks.

Damn shame, Duff and Slash deserve better

Help Needed

Looking For Video
"Hershey PA. June 1991"
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2007, 11:57:33 AM »

Oh, so you figured out why it was placed in quotation marks.  Congrats.

Similarly, Im a fan of the new GNR as well.

Two albums.

And GNR had about three.

I didnt say anything about a "long career."  I said they had a good run. 

Yeah, I was being told I hate the band... Which is kinda funny considering how little interest I have in them now, two-three years later.  rofl

Whats even funnier is how much time such a disinterested person spends in this section commenting on the band. 

I said "basically".

I think his comments were disrespectful, but then again coming from that ass clown it's hardly surprising.

Again, do you know the meaning of "slander?"  He said he didnt like the music on the CD he heard - thats nowhere near slander, not even "basically."  Its not even about Izzy.

He took a shot at Izzy's writing ability.

No, he didnt.  He didnt say anything about Izzy, other than the fact that he helped work on that music.  He didnt say anything about Izzys songwriting.  He gave an opinion on one batch of material with which Izzy happened to be involved. 
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2007, 11:57:52 AM »

So, congratulations, Slash and Duff.? You abandoned the "atrocious" music that was true to your souls in exchange for one commercially successful album and feeling "relevant" again.?

This is incorrect.? A good deal of that albums music was written prior to Scott joining, along with the Izzy material.? Since this is the case, that music was no less "true to [their] souls" than the Izzy stuff.?

As for compromising their musical integrity, theres no evidence of that.? Compromise is natural within a band - its the reason GNR released "November Rain" and other similar songs.? I think thats quite different than compromising ones musical integrity.?

Yes, much of it was still their music, but the fact remains that they had to scrap the music that they initially wanted to work with and upon having it rejected, sent a 2nd set of music to Scott, likely with the mindset that it would be something he would like. ?Whether that's selling out or natural bandmember compromise, depends who you ask, but my opinion is the former, simply because I believe that Scott was brought in to heighten the band's exposure, not to have him come in and push the boundaries of the music that they were capable of producing.

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2007, 12:02:38 PM »

As for compromising their musical integrity, theres no evidence of that

Sure there is.  They teamed up with a lead singer who became famous during the same era and within the same musical genre as a Slash "hates" and was even widely accused of sounding like that band's lead singer.  But they chose him because he was the most famous, high profile choice available and he would bring the most fame/press/hype/record sales/ticket sales/so on.  They chose their lead singer, not for who was the best fit musically, but for who was the best fit commercially.  Well, now you see the results.  The band caved in creatively to the lead singer's creative direction, and now the lead singer is openly talking about doing a reunion record with his old band
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2007, 12:05:18 PM »

Do you have any evidence that suggests otherwise?  Your eyeroll icon suggests that you do, so Id love to see it.

I believe that Scott was brought in to heighten the band's exposure, not to have him come in and push the boundaries of the music that they were capable of producing.

Another completely unfounded suggestion that is undoubtedly based on your own bias.  I also dont accept the premise youre offering, that the choice was between exposure of "pushing the boundaries of the music."  I think it came down to who was the best frontman available, and they agreed it was him.  Again, if theres evidence to the contrary, Im interested.
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2007, 12:06:38 PM »

He used the Stones as an extreme example coz obviously everyone would want to join them,

I think that is totally untrue.? In my opinion you would be very hard pressed to find an established vocalist that would want to join an existing band the size of the Stones.

I don't mean literally, i mean he was just using them as an example of a great band who he wouldn't try out for.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 12:22:37 PM by estrangedpaul » Logged

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2007, 12:08:22 PM »

Whats even funnier is how much time such a disinterested person spends in this section commenting on the band. 

Some of us just find their comments AMUSING!

One day it's this, next day it's that.

This band is a train wreck

No, he didnt.  He didnt say anything about Izzy, other than the fact that he helped work on that music.  He didnt say anything about Izzys songwriting.  He gave an opinion on one batch of material with which Izzy happened to be involved. 

I guess it wasn't a shot at Izzy.

Kinda funny how he's the only one who wasn't part of writing the material on the second cd Scott was sent. The STP kind of material that apparently was good enough for him to "get".

The material written with Izzy was apparently shit.

No, I agree, that can't be a comment about his songwriting at all. Just because he was part of writing that crappy material...

Roll Eyes

Do you have any evidence that suggests otherwise?  Your eyeroll icon suggests that you do, so Id love to see it.

Do you have any proof that VR are doing what they want?

RCA picked the first single.

Clive Davis was involved enough to point out one of the songs needed a solo.

/jarmo

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2007, 12:10:11 PM »

They teamed up with a lead singer who became famous during the same era and within the same musical genre as a Slash "hates" and was even widely accused of sounding like that band's lead singer.

This is not evidence, just your own biased, ridiculous speculation.  Id expect you to at least know the difference.
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2007, 12:12:38 PM »

WP: When you tried out for Velvet Revolver ...

SW: No, no, no. I need to get this straight for once. I never [expletive] tried out for Velvet Revolver. I've never tired out for any band. I wouldn't even try out for the [expletive] Rolling Stones. Stone Temple Pilots broke up and I was working on my solo album. The last thing I wanted to do was join another [expletive] rock band after all the [expletive] drama I went through with Stone Temple Pilots. I ran into Duff at the gym and he told me they were forming a new band and that I should check it out and see if it's something I'd be into. They gave me two different CDs with about 40 to 50 songs. The first CD was basically atrocious. It was stuff they'd also written with Izzy (Stradlin, another Guns refugee), and it sounded like Bad Company gone wrong. I told them I was busy and wasn't really interested in the idea. About three months after that, I got another CD with some more songs and there were two that I thought were pretty good. One was called "Slither." I thought it sounded a lot like Stone Temple Pilots around "Core" -- like "Piece of Pie or "Wicked Garden." In my head, I was thinking: What would I do with this? If you listen to the vocal on it, it's like very much "Core"-era Scott Weiland.

He wouldn't even try out for the rollings stones ??OK . If the last thing he wanted to do was join a Rock and Roll band then why did he bother joining this band.

Read the read of that paragraph he tells quite clearly his reasons for changing his mind. Plus there is a big difference in "trying out" and actually "joining" a band. People with big egos like Weiland don't wanna try out or audition for bands but he was offered to join VR so he did.
Seems like he liked the stuff that was STP sounding and hated the first stuff because Izzy had written stuff on it. I'm not sure the words bad song and Izzy Stradlin have ever been in the same sentence. Well that interview further makes me not like Scott Weiland. From what I can gather from my friends there is a big dislike of Scott.

How can you people twist things so wrongly? He didn't say he didn't like it because of Izzy. He said he didn't like it. It just so happens the stuff he didn't like was the stuff they wrote with Izzy but he's basically critisizing Slash, Duff and Matt as much as Izzy. He only liked two songs from the second CD which didn't have Izzy so its not like there was much difference.

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2007, 12:13:09 PM »

Oh, so you figured out why it was placed in quotation marks.? Congrats.

Similarly, Im a fan of the new GNR as well.

Two albums.

And GNR had about three.

I didnt say anything about a "long career."? I said they had a good run.?

Yeah, I was being told I hate the band... Which is kinda funny considering how little interest I have in them now, two-three years later.? rofl

Whats even funnier is how much time such a disinterested person spends in this section commenting on the band.?

I said "basically".

Again, do you know the meaning of "slander?"? He said he didnt like the music on the CD he heard - thats nowhere near slander, not even "basically."? Its not even about Izzy.

He took a shot at Izzy's writing ability.

No, he didnt.? He didnt say anything about Izzy, other than the fact that he helped work on that music.? He didnt say anything about Izzys songwriting.? He gave an opinion on one batch of material with which Izzy happened to be involved.?

Maybe it wasn't a shot solely at Izzy, but it was a shot at the music they wrote with Izzy, the three of them. ?And again, I have never heard a song Izzy wrote with Slash and Duff that was anywhere near atrocious.

I just have a hard time believing it was "atrocious".

Ali
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: