Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 12:26:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228137 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Disturbing news story, especially for parents.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Disturbing news story, especially for parents.  (Read 9366 times)
Sterling
« on: July 31, 2007, 01:01:56 PM »

« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 12:59:34 AM by Sterling » Logged
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 01:25:15 PM »

Can't the parties concerned have the individual pictures removed from that sort of site on the grounds of either privacy or child endangerment? That would be the law to make, if necessary, rather than trying to enact laws restricting the legal content of websites.
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 01:28:26 PM »

What's with the hesitation here? Pull the site immediately.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 01:41:47 PM »

Well, people should exercise their democratic rights and vote for a bill that outlaws any pedophile from engaging in this behaviour. Going by a universal law - the majority all agree that paedoplhilia is wrong. There should be no grey area in this case at all.

Society should see fit that certain restrictions are placed on such people.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 01:50:28 PM »

Can't the parties concerned have the individual pictures removed from that sort of site on the grounds of either privacy or child endangerment? That would be the law to make, if necessary, rather than trying to enact laws restricting the legal content of websites.

I believe they can, it was suggested to get a restraining order if your child's picture was up there.? But what if you didn't know it was there?? And chances are he's not the only one with a site like this, he just doesn't hide it.

There is a (quiet) movement in the psychological community to get pedophilia classified as a sexual preference (i.e. homosexuality) rather than a sexual deviance.? The next step from there would be to decriminalize it.? I'm not just being paranoid here either (although I admittedly am paranoid about lots of stuff).? I actually took a psychology/philosophy class in college that was taught by an editor of NAMBLA's magazine.? There was an entire unit dedicated to "adult-child sex" (called that because of the stigma attached to "pedophilia") where we had non-judgmental discussions about the subject.?

Wow, that is really sad news.
In some cultures the type of practice you are talking about used to be quite 'normal', however in this day and age there has been more insight into child psychology and the impacts of such practices upon the child and the evidence. I hope that was brought up in the non-judgemental discussions........

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 01:54:34 PM »

hard to choose between the burka and the thong for our 12 years old Smiley

stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 01:55:58 PM »

A thong is not appropriate for a 12 year old!

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 02:02:18 PM »

There is a (quiet) movement in the psychological community to get pedophilia classified as a sexual preference (i.e. homosexuality) rather than a sexual deviance.  The next step from there would be to decriminalize it.  I'm not just being paranoid here either (although I admittedly am paranoid about lots of stuff).  I actually took a psychology/philosophy class in college that was taught by an editor of NAMBLA's magazine.  There was an entire unit dedicated to "adult-child sex" (called that because of the stigma attached to "pedophilia") where we had non-judgmental discussions about the subject. 

It probably should be classified as a preference over deviance, though I don't see the logic which follows from that to decriminalization. It would, at least, put the focus on the punishment of the crime rather than the "treatment" of the "disease". I don't think that either the age of consent nor the statutory rape laws would be altered to favor pedophiles, that would be a pretty tough sell - I don't think we'll see anyone adopting that cause as a campaign platform.

The sheer amount of media coverage that pedophiles get these days is insane, and seems to rise in accordance with the level of child-worship perpetrated by the same media. The causal link is obvious, I have to wonder to what extent both of those factor into the number of pedophiles formed by - and their level of activity in - our society/culture. I'm not saying "if we ignore it, won't it go away?" But I do question whether dedicating primetime network shows to it really helps to subdue or extinguish the behavior.
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 02:14:57 PM »

There is a (quiet) movement in the psychological community to get pedophilia classified as a sexual preference (i.e. homosexuality) rather than a sexual deviance.? The next step from there would be to decriminalize it.? I'm not just being paranoid here either (although I admittedly am paranoid about lots of stuff).? I actually took a psychology/philosophy class in college that was taught by an editor of NAMBLA's magazine.? There was an entire unit dedicated to "adult-child sex" (called that because of the stigma attached to "pedophilia") where we had non-judgmental discussions about the subject.?

It probably should be classified as a preference over deviance, though I don't see the logic which follows from that to decriminalization. It would, at least, put the focus on the punishment of the crime rather than the "treatment" of the "disease". I don't think that either the age of consent nor the statutory rape laws would be altered to favor pedophiles, that would be a pretty tough sell - I don't think we'll see anyone adopting that cause as a campaign platform.

The sheer amount of media coverage that pedophiles get these days is insane, and seems to rise in accordance with the level of child-worship perpetrated by the same media. The causal link is obvious, I have to wonder to what extent both of those factor into the number of pedophiles formed by - and their level of activity in - our society/culture. I'm not saying "if we ignore it, won't it go away?" But I do question whether dedicating primetime network shows to it really helps to subdue or extinguish the behavior.

Firstly, a pedophile needs to be taught right from wrong, regardless of "sexual urge". The net behaviour is only feeding the problem. For their own good that priviledge should be taken away.

There was a case here in Australia where a pedophile was caught with pages and pages of notes about what he would do to some young girls. These notes were graphic and gruesome.
Rather than lock this man up right away - the magistrate needed a psychological report first. Other people had the view that this person should have been locked up then and there...

Calling it a disease is is not tough enough and calling it a preference is really social work gone mad!

And yes, the media is putting alot of pressure on young girls today, bastards!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 02:18:43 PM by stolat » Logged

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 02:28:19 PM »

You are not considering the key factor in this, the child, the one's who aren't old enough to share the views of academics! Geez, they only begin to reverse their thinking at age 10 or later!

Homosexuality is a practice between grown men, that's the difference.

Thankfully, the rights of the child or child rights can only get better!

With pedophilia a universal law and point of view will have to be set so deviants do not 'quietly slip through' because that would be wrong. And it has gone on too long!

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 02:37:52 PM »

You are not considering the key factor in this, the child, the one's who aren't old enough to share the views of academics! Geez, they only begin to reverse their thinking at age 10 or later!
Huh?? Me?? I'm not saying I agree, just explaining that the attitude is changing.? I personally think it's disgusting and wrong.

Homosexuality is a practice between grown men, that's the difference.

Thankfully, the rights of the child or child rights can only get better!

With pedophilia a universal law and point of view will have to be set so deviants do not 'quietly slip through' because that would be wrong. And it has gone on too long!

One thing that isn't universal is the age of consent.? And there are groups that argue that children can and do consent to sexual activity.? Those are the laws I'm talking about "slipping through".?

Ok, so your not talking about the paedophile in the article anymore, you are talking about children demonstrating sexual play with eachother.

I think the age of consent between an adult and child is pretty clear. In an adult/child situation where the child seems to consent it is usually because that child has been groomed.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 02:39:58 PM by stolat » Logged

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 02:38:50 PM »

One thing that isn't universal is the age of consent.? And there are groups that argue that children can and do consent to sexual activity.? Those are the laws I'm talking about "slipping through".?
Yeah... That's why it's always handy to have this chart http://www.avert.org/aofconsent.htm with you where every you're travelling. Which ever part you are in the whole thing...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 02:44:54 PM by Skeba » Logged

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 02:40:45 PM »

If it's a preference, then it's no different than homosexuality or heterosexuality.  Even homosexuality was classified as a deviance at one time, and through pressure from advocacy groups it was changed.  Now, I don't think homosexuality and pedophilia are remotely the same thing.  But if you remove pedophilia from the DSM (which is what would happen if it's changed) the next logical step is the argument that it shouldn't be illegal.  A tough sell?  Absolutely.  And maybe because I went to college in one of the most liberal cities in the country, I have a different view.  I do think it's possible for something like this to quietly slip through.  Maybe not for 20 years, but attitudes are shifting, especially among academics. 

I actually can remember taking two separate psychology courses that dealt with the subject, and the final "discussion" reached the same conclusion... we should be "tolerant" of other people's sexual preference, not punish them for it.  That was 10 years ago, and I doubt the place has gotten less liberal since then.

Question: Do you believe that you can cure pedophilia? Is it possible to take, for example, a convicted multi-offending pedophile and, through a course of treatment, cure them of any and all inclinations or interest towards children? To be specific, I'm not asking if they can be taught to view their tendencies as immoral and not to act on them, I mean a bona-fide 100% cure in at least enough cases to eliminate fluke or error.  It seems to me that if the answer is negative that's provocative evidence against classifying it as a simple deviance - suggestive of at least a little collective ignorance still to be eradicated.

I think it's underestimating the power of the conservative and religious lobbies to say that something like condoning pedophilia could slip-by unnoticed. Not within a couple of decades anyway. Though it raises an interesting point; If, at some point in the future, it was something which was largely condoned and decriminalized wouldn't that represent a sea-change in public opinion, and wouldn't such a society be not only within its rights but morally bound to affect such a change to remain ethically sound (within it's own scope, regardless of our opinion as people of an entirely different ethical climate). And is there any point to this hypothetical?!
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 02:44:57 PM »

What's this laws repealed and invalidated thing in America?

You could take a paedophile thorugh a hospital ward where young children have been raped - that might cure them. (Arteaud?).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 02:53:02 PM by stolat » Logged

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 02:56:24 PM »

Society needs to make the firm decision that paedophilia is a taboo and stick to it. If it's taboo, it's taboo, end of story or suffer the consequences.

Ethics has no time for fence sitting!

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 03:03:47 PM »

No, I don't believe it can be treated.  If for no other reason than so-called "treatments" almost always fail.  Pedophiles seem to have an irresistible drive to do what they do, no matter what the consequences are, as is the case with most sexually deviant behavior.  But if it's no longer classified as a disease, it becomes "normal".  Just another preference, like choosing coffee instead of tea.  And I think that's a dangerous step to take.  I'd rather see more effort put into treatment rather than tolerance. 

It becomes "normal" within the scope of academics  and mental health professionals, which isn't to say that the same would be true across the board. I would think it more important to classify it correctly based upon the knowns than to classify it in a manner which simply keeps it in scope in case of future developments. From what you're saying it sounds like there's not the consensus to make a definitive call either way, that being the case it would obviously make most sense to keep it on the books until there is definitive proof. 
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 03:06:36 PM »

Yes, insights into child psychology are recently new.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 03:16:13 PM »

I don't think child psychology is part of the issue at this stage. The law says it's illegal, society says it's immoral, and the behavior is considered deviant/a disorder/ a disease. All of those factors being true, a child's ability to consent is irrelevant. If the law and the classification were to change then the consent issue would be an active factor.
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 03:22:11 PM »

I don't think child psychology is part of the issue at this stage. The law says it's illegal, society says it's immoral, and the behavior is considered deviant/a disorder/ a disease. All of those factors being true, a child's ability to consent is irrelevant. If the law and the classification were to change then the consent issue would be an active factor.

I'm not only talking about a child's ability to consent, I'm talking about the psychological rammifiactions on children taking on or being forced into a sexual role before their minds have caught up. If there is overwhelming evidence that it does more harm than good then the laws and classification will never change.

Of course, many cases are simply never taken to the levels they should be taken to and the effects may manifest later in life for that child. And.......with the media influences, many children think that what they are doing is perfectly normal.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 03:26:45 PM »

Yes, there is a fortune to be made in Internet law.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: