Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:22:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228550 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Decided to listen to UYI I & II in full tonight.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Decided to listen to UYI I & II in full tonight.  (Read 8296 times)
Irish gunner II
Rocker

IRISH BY BIRTH, CORK BY THE GRACE OF GOD

« on: July 13, 2007, 10:10:32 PM »

It's been a while since i listened to both albums from Right next door to hell to my world in order. Made me appreciate the albums so much more. Haven't been listening to GNR that much in the last month or so anyway. Made me appreciate how good the albums were/are .

Anyway anyody else want to add something to my drunken ramblings, then feel free.
GeraldFord
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 10:14:12 PM »

I pull them out a few times a year and, after all these years, I still always enjoy the experience.
Irish gunner II
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 10:28:54 PM »

I mean Appetite is an amazing album, I don't think there is any doubt about that. But UYI from start to finish is superb. AFD is an album I listen to when im going out and i've had a few beers and feeling fired up. But the illusions are more melllow.
Irish gunner II
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 10:42:41 PM »

Also having got my copies of both UYI I and UYI II out and looked at the lyrics again. Some of the lyrics are quality. I have a hard time understanding Axl even after a while listening to GNR.  But actually reading the lyrics again after about a three month break, I see the diversity that the band had.
bigblue88112
Headliner

"All the way from California" -- 11/10/2006

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 11:41:18 PM »

I actually also did this yesterday at work.  Perfect time to do it, I know...

What always gets me is that for such a diverse pool of songs, there are only 4 that I don't like at all.  Plus, I have to smile whenever I hear Back Off Bitch.  hihi

Democracy is coming:  November 23, 2008

"Then again, this is Guns N' Roses, where the laws of physics do not apply."
--Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal
Irish gunner II
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 12:10:30 AM »

I actually also did this yesterday at work.? Perfect time to do it, I know...

What always gets me is that for such a diverse pool of songs, there are only 4 that I don't like at all.   Plus, I have to smile whenever I hear Back Off Bitch.? hihi

It is a diverse pool of songs, well said my non irish friend.
Shows the original band had so much talent between the six of them that were on the record.

Four songs ? hmmmm

1.My world
2. Bad Apples
3. Shotgun blues
and one other

Would I be close ?
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 12:23:51 AM »

There are no bad songs, no filler, on UYI I or II. period.
Irish gunner II
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 12:31:03 AM »

Even though what i said above, some songs are better than others. Would you agree ? . But when I listen to My world in the context of the whole album, it doesnt fit one bit IMO. On its own the song is fine.
bigblue88112
Headliner

"All the way from California" -- 11/10/2006

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 12:40:44 AM »

I actually also did this yesterday at work.  Perfect time to do it, I know...

What always gets me is that for such a diverse pool of songs, there are only 4 that I don't like at all.   Plus, I have to smile whenever I hear Back Off Bitch.  hihi

It is a diverse pool of songs, well said my non irish friend.
Shows the original band had so much talent between the six of them that were on the record.

Four songs ? hmmmm

1.My world
2. Bad Apples
3. Shotgun blues
and one other

Would I be close ?

Very close Mr. Irish.  I came up with 4 as a quick estimation.  But it's only 3:

Bad Apples
Shotgun Blues
So Fine

And I just can't hate on My World.  That's another one that just makes me happy when I hear it.

Democracy is coming:  November 23, 2008

"Then again, this is Guns N' Roses, where the laws of physics do not apply."
--Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 02:37:40 AM »

I always feel sad when i get to My World because that's the last original song the old band did, and  the album is over. So I press the Skip Back button, and voila!

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
TWAT RULES
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 09:24:13 AM »

bad apples is an awesome song!!!  there are no bad songs on uyi except my world, and that doesn't really count as a song anyway
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 09:36:10 AM »

I think Bad Obsession is a very forgotten and underrated GNR song.

estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 05:59:13 PM »

There is one song on each album that I don't like - You Ain't The First and My World.

Around half of both albums I loved straight away, the rest apart from those two have grown on me and have they're moments. Bad Apples is kinda weak but has a great chorus and solo. The likes of Shotgun Blues, So Fine, while not awesome, have their moments, that make them well worth listening to. That's the thing about them albums - no matter what you thought of the song, you could always rely on Slash to come up with something amazing in the solo section to make the song worthwhile. A lot of people don't like Get In The Ring, but even that has one of the best intros to a song ever in my opinion.

Most of the critizisms of these albums from critics had nothing to do with the music and centred more on the hatred of Axl, the length of the songs , the emergence of Nirvana and loads of other rediculous reasons.

IMHO the two best albums ever.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 06:01:27 PM by estrangedpaul » Logged

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 06:11:05 PM »

I always feel sad when i get to My World because that's the last original song the old band did, and? the album is over. So I press the Skip Back button, and voila!

but it was pretty much a collaboration between axl and some studio guy not the band.. and even if it would have been the bands song.. who said it was the last they did, wrote or recorded?
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 06:14:06 PM »

Very close Mr. Irish.? I came up with 4 as a quick estimation.? But it's only 3:

Bad Apples
Shotgun Blues
So Fine

And I just can't hate on My World.? That's another one that just makes me happy when I hear it.

It's weird how fans of GNR can have such different taste. I hear alot of people say they don't like "Shotgun Blues" on the board and when my friends and I are in the car we crank it up. I think it's a great punk-type song.

There is one song on each album that I don't like - You Ain't The First and My World.

That's another example. I LOVE You Ain't The First. One of my favorites on UYI1.

I think what's really awesome about the illusions, and especially 1, is how many differant genres and styles of music they touch on while still retaining the GNR type sound. I mean all my life I basically listen to 3 types of music: Punk Rock, Classic Rock, and Metal. And on 1 album you get all these bases touched on in some form.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 12:32:15 AM »

Couldn't agree more. Every song has it's own quality that adds to the whole set. And I love Slash's guitar playing on every single track. ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 12:34:23 AM »

That's the thing about them albums - no matter what you thought of the song, you could always rely on Slash to come up with something amazing in the solo section to make the song worthwhile.

Couldn't agree more. I go back to these albums and to this day, hearing Slash rip on those solos still inspires me so much.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2007, 02:37:16 AM »

The entire album aside from my world are great.  But it's always a shame, as I listen to Don't Cry (Alt. Lyrics), i have to be ready by the stop button to halt My World.  It always hangs over it.  But the rest are great, all the songs have some merit and are a joy to listen to.  Shotgun blues is so perfectly agressive.   

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007, 07:20:15 AM »

I put live versions of the UYI songs in order but when one or two are from bootlegs as opposed to soundboards, it doesn't sound as good.

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 02:34:34 PM »

The entire album aside from my world are great.? But it's always a shame, as I listen to Don't Cry (Alt. Lyrics), i have to be ready by the stop button to halt My World.? It always hangs over it.? But the rest are great, all the songs have some merit and are a joy to listen to.? Shotgun blues is so perfectly agressive.? ?

LOL I used to do the exact same thing. Now I use my ipod in the car most of the time so I just never put it on there with the rest of UYI2 so I don't even have to worry about it.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: