Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:42:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Bon Jovi Vs. (insert band)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bon Jovi Vs. (insert band)  (Read 47006 times)
GeraldFord
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2007, 02:02:24 PM »

I wont dispute the fact that Bon Jovi has sold more albums

You should, at least in the US. According to riaa.com VH=56m albums, BJ=33m albums.

http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?table=tblTopArt

Maybe in the States, but World-Wide BJ sold 120m to VH's 80m, says Wikedpedia. They love soccer all over the world, so I guess there are a lot of soccer moms to buy BJ albums.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2007, 02:21:39 PM »

Van Halen musically is better, EVH is leagues ahead of Richie Sambora

Bon Jovi, never really got into them.  They make good bar music, but I feel like they're over commercialized, they make "fast food" music

You could say the same of Van Halen, I suppose.  Bon Jovi has a better singing voice than Roth or Hagar, but they all have corny lyrics from where I'm standing

I would rather listen to Van Halen, musically they're a lot better and I don't think a great deal of the lead singers.  Yeah David Lee Roth is a legendary frontman and performer but as a singer-songwriter I don't think he's that great
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 02:25:04 PM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
kupirock
Somewhat Damaged
Legend

« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2007, 03:57:21 PM »

both pretty much crap Grin so i say even

"Hearing Don't Cry isn't all that exciting considering there are many youtube clips available of it being performed live." -from mygnr.com-
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2007, 05:06:49 PM »

Where did they chart?

Bon Jovi number 1 singles: Billboard top 200 not the bullshit mainstream or modern rock number 1 which really doesn't count

Nah, the rock ones are the charts that DO count... the top 200 just means it appeals to teenage girls!

Van Halen gets played on Classic Rock stations and Bon Jovi gets played on EZ rock... my tastes usual favour classic rock bands and this case is no exception.? Bon Jovi also loses serious points for that brutal acoustic hits CD...

Van Halen ok
gnrlies247
Rocker

Axl- you fuckin' rock!

« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2007, 05:08:47 PM »

Jon Bon Jovi is a pretty boy faggot who should get hit by a train.

Van Halen rocks way more than Bon douche bag Jovi.

couldn't have put it better myself.
I can't stand jon bon jovi, he just loves himself!
gnrlies247
Rocker

Axl- you fuckin' rock!

« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2007, 05:17:09 PM »

I cant even believe this is even an arguement. ?I like Bon Jovi. ?But they have pretty much been living off of "Slippery when wet" for 20 years. ?I know that New Jersey had some good songs too. ?But Bon Jovi is pretty much an "adult contemporary" band now.
Van Halen, on the other hand, even if you only count DLR Van Halen, was one of the greatest rock bands ever. ?With argueably the greatest frontmen ever(after Axl). ?And guitarist. ?

Yeah thats why their last album only debuted at Number 1 whipping the shit out of everyone's little darlings the "White Stripes'

Man it must be nice to suck and live off one album like that.

They play 3 songs off SWW in concert unlike another band I know that truly lives off one album.

Anyhow Bon Jovi's last 4 albums all debuted in the top 5. Every tour was amongst the top grossing tours of the year.

Sure they suck, They only sold out 3 straight nights in a football stadium. If they were really good they wouldve sold out a month straight right? Roll Eyes

Err, i think you'll find that gnr play loads off appetite because that's what the fans want to hear,anyways why have you bought gnr into this argument,is it cos your running out of bad things to say about VH?

Why don't you remove yourself from his ass.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2007, 06:22:57 PM »

Van Halen.

Since D knows so much about selling out, what does he make of BJ doing Duracell commercials?  Just to bring up one example.

VH changed music and conquered the world, while BJ basically ripped off others.

That huge list of BJ "hits?"  Maaaan, I didn't even know those songs existed. 

Some hits they must have been.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2007, 06:31:55 PM »

your out of your league here D, van halen>bon jovi always

html sucks
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2007, 10:04:34 PM »

U guys are crazy

Eddie Van Halen alone cant carry that band.

Van Halen have like 3 songs that I think are even half way decent.

Panama,Jump, Hot For Teacher......

I won't go into how bad Sammy Hagar is, He is horrible in every shape way and form

Dave at least has personality and was a good entertainer

So I say compare BJ to Roth Van Halen but Sammy Hagar Van Halen sucks.
I think DLR is generic but I guess seeing how all of u guys on here like discussing Axl's teeth,clothes and shoe size, u all are in to starin at Dave in those tight Jane Fonda pants he wears.

Also Sambora plays a bluesy guitar style, he has a totally different style than EVH but Sambora's LOAP,Wanted and Lay Your Hands on Me Riffs are pretty damn good.

I of co urse am not fool enough to put Sambora in Eddie's league however but I think as superior as Eddie is to Richie, Jon is to Van Halen's frontmen.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2007, 10:07:44 PM »

So you've only listened to 1984?

And I can't believe you don't like Gary Cherone.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2007, 10:11:14 PM »

HAHAHA Gary Cherone! What a fuckin Tool

U can't fuck with Eddie Van Halen, NO one will ever be able to deny his genius.

Its just I don't think he ever had THE AXL ROSE, THE STEVEN TYLER,

That quintessential amazing frontman to take those amazing guitar riffs and make them even more legendary by providing great vocals,lyrics and melodies.

Roth was an amazing showman but his voice and lyrics for the most part suck.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2007, 12:14:18 AM »

U guys are crazy

Eddie Van Halen alone cant carry that band.

Van Halen have like 3 songs that I think are even half way decent.

Panama,Jump, Hot For Teacher......

I won't go into how bad Sammy Hagar is, He is horrible in every shape way and form

Dave at least has personality and was a good entertainer

So I say compare BJ to Roth Van Halen but Sammy Hagar Van Halen sucks.
I think DLR is generic but I guess seeing how all of u guys on here like discussing Axl's teeth,clothes and shoe size, u all are in to starin at Dave in those tight Jane Fonda pants he wears.

Also Sambora plays a bluesy guitar style, he has a totally different style than EVH but Sambora's LOAP,Wanted and Lay Your Hands on Me Riffs are pretty damn good.

I of co urse am not fool enough to put Sambora in Eddie's league however but I think as superior as Eddie is to Richie, Jon is to Van Halen's frontmen.

Alright, here's where your argument goes south.  You believe Sammy sucks.  And I'm sure many people agree.  Obviously, DLR is the real Van Halen, always, forever.  BUT you bring up top 40 hits, billboard 200 hits, whatever to defend Bon Jovi.  I'd be willing to bet, and I've got no facts to back this up, BUT I'd be willing to bet that the Sammy Hagar led Van Halen had more radio friendly top 40 hits than the DLR version.  Thus making your Bon Jovi had more hits argument useless, which I think we all knew from the start.  Those top 40 lists are nice to look at and put on your resume, but for the most part they don't amount to a whole lot.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2007, 02:38:02 AM »

To me Dave is Van Halen

Hagar to me sucks, Doesnt mean he does, I personally dont like him.

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2007, 09:41:44 AM »

Why you wanna tell Roth how to live his life?  It's his life.  He's going to live his life on a prayer, everyday.   Wink
GeraldFord
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2007, 10:27:58 AM »

Alright, here's where your argument goes south.? You believe Sammy sucks.? And I'm sure many people agree.? Obviously, DLR is the real Van Halen, always, forever.? BUT you bring up top 40 hits, billboard 200 hits, whatever to defend Bon Jovi.? I'd be willing to bet, and I've got no facts to back this up, BUT I'd be willing to bet that the Sammy Hagar led Van Halen had more radio friendly top 40 hits than the DLR version.? Thus making your Bon Jovi had more hits argument useless, which I think we all knew from the start.? Those top 40 lists are nice to look at and put on your resume, but for the most part they don't amount to a whole lot.

While the Sammy era  had four number one albums, the DLR albums sold more over-all. The self-titled album and 1984 alone sold 20 million copies, about as much as all four Sammy albums combined.
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2007, 11:21:11 PM »

Once again, speaking as someone who was there at the time, there is no comparison between the two. You are talking about two very different bands from two very different eras - Van Halen 1 came out in 1972, Bon Jovi was a pheomenom of (1987?).

The only thing they both have in common was that they got girls in harder rock type music.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2007, 11:23:34 PM »

HAHAHA Gary Cherone! What a fuckin Tool

U can't fuck with Eddie Van Halen, NO one will ever be able to deny his genius.

Its just I don't think he ever had THE AXL ROSE, THE STEVEN TYLER,

That quintessential amazing frontman to take those amazing guitar riffs and make them even more legendary by providing great vocals,lyrics and melodies.

Roth has a great voice. Go sing Panama karaoke and then you can talk.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
GeraldFord
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2007, 11:25:50 PM »

Once again, speaking as someone who was there at the time, there is no comparison between the two. You are talking about two very different bands from two very different eras - Van Halen 1 came out in 1972, Bon Jovi was a pheomenom of (1987?).

The only thing they both have in common was that they got girls in harder rock type music.

VH's first album was released in 1978.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2007, 11:51:10 PM »

Panama?

LOL

Hilarious

What a cheesy fuckin song that and Hot For teacher are.

DLR is a great entertainer but if u put him in a room full of instruments and told him to write a song he wouldnt be able to do it. FACT

JBJ has wrote some amazing songs by himself.

stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2007, 11:57:58 PM »

OOPs! Misread the album cover wrongly. Mistook an 8 for a 2.......still my point stands they are almost a decade apart. End of the 70s was a completely different time to the end of the 80s.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: