Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 06:20:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Bad single choices....
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bad single choices....  (Read 6931 times)
Smokey
Headliner

« on: July 06, 2007, 12:40:55 PM »

After listening to the album its pretty obvious the quick machines is like the 5th or 4th best on the album and thats being generous..
In my opinion just 16 or let it roll should of been the first..... any thoughts??
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 12:52:16 PM »

in my opinion, the ONLY good decision regarding VR singles was ''Slither''.

I think Contraband's second single should have been ''You Got No Right'', and ''Sucker Train Blues'' as third.

Now they've chose as first single the worst track of the album.

After listening to the album a couple more times, I think Libertad's first single should be ''Let It Roll'' or ''American Man''.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Rocker_GNR
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 12:52:53 PM »

I do not agree. I think that "she builds quick machine" is a great song to be the first single. It has a Velvet Revolver representative Riff, an awesome guitar solo and the chorus is very attractive. How you can see, it's suitable to be a single.

by the way, the first single doesn't mean that it being the better song of the album.

Old Fan of Guns N ' Roses - "That is not dead which can eternal lie / And with strange aeons even death ..."
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 01:01:14 PM »

No way, Fall To Pieces was an obvious selection as the second single... YGNR isn't as easily accessible over the radio, despite it being the better song.
Eclipsed107
VIP

Fucked over in Philly - 12/06/02

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 01:06:52 PM »

Yeah I agree with Easy E, YGNR is by far the better song, but I think FTP was a better single.

Sucker Train Blues should have been a single though.  IMO VR's best song by far.

Slither was a great choice, FTP was a good choice, Dirty Little Thing was a bad choice...

SBQM I don't think is a bad choice, but it's not the best song on the cd.  It's very radio friendly though and repersents the album well.  Let It Roll or Get Out The Door would make a great 3ed single, but not first.  Last Fight is going to be a great second single.

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 01:12:36 PM »

I think "Slither" was a perfect single choice, obviously easy to say since it's been their biggest hit really. FTP was an ok choice, it did well. I agree YGNR is alot better but I don't think it would have done as well. I like DLT but it was a bad single choice. They should have gone with STB or DIFTK. SBQM was an absolutely horrible single choice. I don't even think the song should have made the album. It's just not any good. It actually made me nervous about the album until I heard it. Think of the impression that gives to someone who is not as big a fan? I'm guessing alot of people on the fence about picking the album up are not going to until they here a better song (Anything on the album). I would have gone with "Just Sixteen" as the lead single. Then GOTD and then "Last Fight".

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
darkdays_01
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 02:09:32 PM »

I think Quick Machines is an ok single. I think Mary, Mary would be a good choice for a single following The Last Fight.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 02:18:03 PM »

I do not agree. I think that "she builds quick machine" is a great song to be the first single. It has a Velvet Revolver representative Riff

You mean the riff from Slither?  Roll Eyes
don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 05:32:14 PM »

I think they should have started with Just Sixteen, then followed with The Last Fight, and then maybe for a third single have Get Out The Door.  Those are probably the three best on the album, very catchy, and quite a variety as well. 

Quick Machines is quite a rubbish song, especially for a single choice.  It hasn't got much of a chorus, not a particularly great/memorable riff, average solo. 

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 10:19:19 AM »

I think Contraband's second single should have been ''You Got No Right'', and ''Sucker Train Blues'' as third.

I totally agree.

Just sixteen is on the SBQM-single so forget it as a single of its own.

I want Let it roll, The last fight, Messages (from iTunes) or For a brother as the next single.

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 10:39:30 AM »

SBQM is along with Spay my least favourite songs on the album. best first single IMO would have been American Man.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
GNRslave
Rocker

"turn on the tv cuz i got nowhere to go..."

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 10:50:46 AM »

they only reason sbqm was the 1st single was because its so catchy and had the familiar sound. it was a very safe choice. as for their other singles, i liked slither & ftp, thats about it. i didnt like dlt as a single, they should have gone with headspace and then ygnr as a fourth single. i hope we see "the last fight" as the 2nd single and then "get out the door" or "just 16" as the 3rd

"gonna wave it right down in your face"
http://www.myspace.com/5232978
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 11:24:52 AM »

Pills would've been a good choice because it has a catchy chorus. SBQM, not so much. The Last Fight will be the next single and American Man or GOTD after that.

The format has been the same since the 80's
Rocker
Ballad
Rocker

The legendary guitarist said that he does have some contact with Guns n' Roses singer Axl Rose, however.

"I've actually sent him Christmas cards, just to be cordial, but he never returns anything."
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 11:41:23 AM »

Pills would've been a good choice because it has a catchy chorus. SBQM, not so much. The Last Fight will be the next single and American Man or GOTD after that.

The format has been the same since the 80's
Rocker
Ballad
Rocker

unless its a commercial band then its
rocker
ballad
ballad
ballad
rocker

html sucks
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 05:21:35 PM »

After listening to the album a couple more times, I think Libertad's first single should be ''Let It Roll'' or ''American Man''.

Am I the only person on Earth who thought "Loving The Alien" was A) a GREAT song and B) should've been a single at some point??

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
snakepipero
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 05:23:55 PM »

"roll over right keep it throught the night ..." enjoy the music guys, stop from eatin' your minds  Grin

beer
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 05:24:32 PM »

mark  my words.. she mine will be the third single
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 02:11:30 PM »

I do not agree. I think that "she builds quick machine" is a great song to be the first single. It has a Velvet Revolver representative Riff

You mean the riff from Slither?? Roll Eyes

You must not have ears - they sound nothing alike. They are both in drop d but that's it. Slither is an amazing riff, one of Slash's best ever, SBQM sucks and sounds like Vertigo.

I think Let It Roll would be a better choice. I can understand why they would choose SBQM, but it's just too weak. Messages should have been on the album and second single. YGNR and STB should have been a singles.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 02:13:09 PM by estrangedpaul » Logged

Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 04:03:50 PM »

mark? my words.. she mine will be the third single

I hope it's not but it probably will be. I know I've read that some of the band wanted it as first single. I like the song but I think it would be a terrible single.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 04:41:03 PM »

You mean the riff from Slither?  Roll Eyes

You must not have ears - they sound nothing alike. They are both in drop d but that's it. Slither is an amazing riff, one of Slash's best ever, SBQM sucks and sounds like Vertigo.

That's funny considering slash said the reason it was released as the first single is because it was the most "slither sounding" of all the songs  ok
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: