Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 12:41:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228477 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Scott Weiland and Eddie Vedder--the irony
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott Weiland and Eddie Vedder--the irony  (Read 28817 times)
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2007, 10:18:28 AM »

STP's first single and video seemed to sound like Pearl Jam, but for the second album (Vasoline, Big Empty, Interstate Love Song), to me sounded nothing like Pearl Jam. Cobain ripped Pearl Jam a lot, I think unfairly-it's what rock stars do. Weiland puts out good music-you don't last 15 years by putting out bad music. Axl admits he was very influenced by Seattle and music of the 90's, and it comes through in some of the new music-what's the difference between Axl and people say Scott ripping things off? Axl was a huge NIN fan and hired Robin. Now Scott is getting ragged on for acting punk rock? Wow.

libertad
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2007, 10:22:12 AM »

You're faulting him for not touring the world because his band broke up? and that he had to join another band?

Just saying that one guy has been with the same band since 1990 and didn't need a super group to revive his career.

Yeah, too bad he didn't remain in the same band and just replace all the band members to tour on classic songs like.....

Gene Simmons.

He's not inventing anything new as far as I can tell, he's following trends. Anything to be cool.

Again, I have to ask... what trend is he following now? ?The trend of "bad ass rockers"? ?The cowboy trend? ?Do you honestly believe before his initial audition with "The Project" Weiland was outside thinking to himself "Ok, this is Slash and Duff inside, I need to put on my bad ass rock star persona so they will accept me as their singer"

I'd hate to think that you haven't changed at all in the last 15 years, I don't see why that's a virtue when it comes to Eddie Vedder. ?Pearl Jam has a solid fanbase that will see them for their old songs and blindly buy any album they release simply because they're "Pearl Jam"...

I think the point here is, Weiland got ripped to shreds for being in the "Clone Temple Pilots"... but if he was just an Eddie Vedder rip-off, would he still be selling millions of records 15 years later? ?Especially considering there was only 1 album released that comes even close to sounding like Pearl Jam.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2007, 11:02:34 AM »

Look at VR's image. Unpredictable dangerous rock n' roll from Hollywood. Bad ass videos.

He fits in.

Imagine if he went for a glam rock image right now...

Yeah, too bad he didn't remain in the same band and just replace all the band members to tour on classic songs like.....

Gene Simmons.

It's funny how you guys need to bring other people up all the time to validate your hero's credibility.

It's like he can't stand on his own. He needs to be compared.

His band's songs need to be compared to other bands to make it good.

"Yeah well at least it's not got synths in it and they release albums".

Roll Eyes

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2007, 11:09:28 AM »

So you're saying it's not important to have integrity as long as you sell records??

Now imagine if Weiland had even half of the talent that Eddie Vedder has.? Tongue

/jarmo

Scott is way more talented than Eddie.  Give me Scott anyday.  I like PJ and have seen them in concert and enjoyed it but Scott is the better frontman.
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2007, 11:11:37 AM »

Are you gonna tell me his image back when Core came out wasn't very similar to what the Seattle bands were doing?

Did he really look like that in 1991?

/jarmo

All bands change.  Look at Eddie from the ten days to now.  Very diff.  Give the VR guys a break just once.  You can like GN'R and VR.  Nobody will care. 
Razor
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2007, 11:12:47 AM »

dude you cant compare eddie to scott pearl jam is in a whole other league
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2007, 11:15:16 AM »

dude you cant compare eddie to scott pearl jam is in a whole other league

Old PJ is great but they haven't came out with anything decent in like 10 or more years.  I have always dug STP.  Even at the end they were putting out great music.  I think Scott is better than Eddie.  Love Eddie but give me Scott.  My opinion.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2007, 11:15:34 AM »

Weiland has a good voice, a very well-honed vocal instrument and he has great stage presence.  But, frankly, I am astonished that anyone would think that he is a better songwriter than Eddie Vedder. 

Ali
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2007, 11:17:16 AM »

I'm not just talking about songwriter.  Eddie maybe a better songwriter but all around as a frontman I enjoy Scott.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2007, 11:25:43 AM »

I'm not just talking about songwriter.  Eddie maybe a better songwriter but all around as a frontman I enjoy Scott.

Fair enough.

I think Scott has maybe a more honed and well-crafted voice, but I prefer Eddie Vedder's tone.  As a performer, Scott's more entertaining, I suppose.

Ali
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2007, 11:38:01 AM »

Fortunately, Eddie didn't do his ridiculous anti-Bush puppet show at the shows I saw.  If you want to voice your thoughts on politics, go on Larry King, ok?

Wrong.  If you want to hear his thoughts on politics, youll go to his show.  If not, you wont go.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2007, 11:43:14 AM »

Look at VR's image. Unpredictable dangerous rock n' roll from Hollywood. Bad ass videos.

He fits in.

Imagine if he went for a glam rock image right now...

Why does he have to go for an image that doesn't "fit" to gain credibility? ?Maybe he fits in because his current style/interests/musical direction was what Slash & Duff were looking for to front their band. ?Personally, I don't really see what he's done to even make anyone think he's posing as a "bad ass" anyways... Was it the acoustic song about his children? ?The music video with him hugging Duff? ?The songs he writes about his wife and brother? ?The open letter about Notre Dame football? ?The Pink Floyd covers?

Yeah, sometimes he makes comments about how lame rock music is today, or he says "motherfucking rock n' roll" on stage... Is that really so bad ass? ?Do those comments really need to be taken so seriously?? Some attitude/emotion is required as a rock frontman, but I don't think he's been faking anything for the past 15 years...

Gene Simmons.

It's funny how you guys need to bring other people up all the time to validate your hero's credibility.

It's like he can't stand on his own. He needs to be compared.

... it's funny because my whole comment was a joke about Axl being brought into VR conversations. ?Or I guess not that funny, maybe I tried too hard. ? Undecided

His band's songs need to be compared to other bands to make it good.

"Yeah well at least it's not got synths in it and they release albums".

Roll Eyes

Yes, a few people who make comparisons to GN'R represent all VR fans. ? ok
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2007, 11:47:20 AM »

Weiland has a good voice, a very well-honed vocal instrument and he has great stage presence.  But, frankly, I am astonished that anyone would think that he is a better songwriter than Eddie Vedder. 

Ali

I agree.

Just because the guy dances around stage he's suddenly a great songwriter too....

You can get a long way with just having the right image.

Also, I don't know how you can even compare Scott to Eddie regarding live performances. One guy plays in a band that does 2-3 hour sets, one guy's band plays like 90 minutes.

Yes, a few people who make comparisons to GN'R represent all VR fans.   ok

Well, a few of you VR fans keep whining about the GN'R fans ruining your threads by bringing up Axl.

Maybe you should quit it if you don't want to ruin the threads?

If you don't see the image VR is trying to sell, then that's your problem.

They're not exactly trying to market themselves as the lovely little pop rock band with songs about the singer's wife and kids and lovely videos where they hug each other do they?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2007, 11:50:05 AM »

^^^^^^And Axl Rose, the Hip Hop king, I mean Biker Dude...

Yet another VR fan who brings Axl's name into this.

Take note all you VR fans who hate it.

And please don't compare this Weiland character to somebody like David Bowie.

/jarmo

Ha!  Jarmo, I knew you would bit on this one!!!!!  It was so obvious could not be ignored.  Had to be brought up!  This is a GNR board isn't it?  Or is that line only used when to bash VR.  Ha!  I am a fan of GNR and VR.  Get it right.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 11:55:28 AM by Smoking Guns » Logged
GeraldFord
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2007, 11:51:19 AM »

Since this has turned into a "who's better," I'll way in with my two cents:

I'm going with Scott with one word...hooks

Hooks, hooks, hooks....when it comes to hooks, Scott outshines Vedder:

-Mary Mary
-Plush
-Vasoline
-Big Bang Baby
-Sour Girl
-Slither
-Days of the Week

PJ never wrote a song as catchy as those.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »

It's entertaining to see how much you need to mention him. You just can't stop.

hihi

/jarmo

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2007, 11:58:18 AM »

Jarmo, did you pick up the album yet? 

I think everyone is an influence on everyone.

Eddie Vedder - Neil Young

Axl Rose - Michael Monroe, Robert Plant, Steven Tyler, Bon Scott

Weiland - Mick Jagger, David Bowie, Jim Morrison

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2007, 11:59:57 AM »

No, I'm not in a hurry to listen to it.

/jarmo

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2007, 12:01:57 PM »

10-4 Jarmo.  Weiland is much better on this album.  Messages has some really good lyrics. 
Ali
Legend

« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2007, 12:11:15 PM »

Weiland has a good voice, a very well-honed vocal instrument and he has great stage presence.? But, frankly, I am astonished that anyone would think that he is a better songwriter than Eddie Vedder.?

Ali

I agree.

Just because the guy dances around stage he's suddenly a great songwriter too....

You can get a long way with just having the right image.

Also, I don't know how you can even compare Scott to Eddie regarding live performances. One guy plays in a band that does 2-3 hour sets, one guy's band plays like 90 minutes.

Yes, a few people who make comparisons to GN'R represent all VR fans.? ?ok

Well, a few of you VR fans keep whining about the GN'R fans ruining your threads by bringing up Axl.

Maybe you should quit it if you don't want to ruin the threads?

If you don't see the image VR is trying to sell, then that's your problem.

They're not exactly trying to market themselves as the lovely little pop rock band with songs about the singer's wife and kids and lovely videos where they hug each other do they?

/jarmo

That's true.  Pearl Jam does some pretty epic concerts.  While they might not be as commerically successful as they once were, I don't think Pearl Jam's music has declined at all.  That last record was a monster, a widely-hailed monster at that.

Ali
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: