Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 10:15:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228480 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Has this new album switched anyone who disliked contraband..
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has this new album switched anyone who disliked contraband..  (Read 8490 times)
vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 10:26:01 PM »

My friend Danny who is a big stp and gnr fan (more so stp) didn't really show much interest in VR when they first came out but today he called me telling me that he just picked up the new album at his work and thought it was "really fucking sweet". So i guess you could say the new album really changed his opinion about VR.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2007, 10:32:02 PM »

I am getting the same reaction.  Saying "Now that is rock n roll."
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2007, 02:04:10 AM »

I am getting the same reaction.  Saying "Now that is rock n roll."

I certainly like it better than most of the major label crap (and indie super-crap for that matter).  I liked Contraband.  I like Libertad.  Neither is groundbreaking.  Both fail to live up to my expectations of ex-GNR members.  But they're still both better than most of the shit on modern "rock" radio.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2007, 12:10:01 PM »

I certainly like it better than most of the major label crap (and indie super-crap for that matter).  I liked Contraband.  I like Libertad.  Neither is groundbreaking.  Both fail to live up to my expectations of ex-GNR members.  But they're still both better than most of the shit on modern "rock" radio.

How many groundbreaking albums have you heard this year?
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2007, 02:13:13 PM »

I just don't understand about these negative posts in this forum!

This album fuckin rocks!! I'm not sure but is people waiting something different, something universal shit..I don't know
What I know is that this is like one of the best rock albums that has been released for a while

I like this album better than Contraband and I think more people, that are not so rockers, will find this album too...because, as Scott said, this is more danceable  hihi what does that even mean... Grin

But overall..great rock album, going to buy it tomorrow.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2007, 02:20:56 PM »

How many groundbreaking albums have you heard this year?

None.  Year Zero was pretty good, and Amorphis is set to release something this year that could be good.  Hell, how many groundbreaking albums have I heard in the last decade?  Not many.  But that's my point.  In an era of absolutely shitty music, we have an inclination to over-value bands that release something that does some arm waving in the direction of past glories.  They simply seem better than they are, because their contemporaries are musically weak.  But, again, I'm not saying VR are bad...just that they're capable of making stronger music than they have, thus far.     

I just don't understand about these negative posts in this forum!

This album fuckin rocks!! I'm not sure but is people waiting something different, something universal shit..I don't know
What I know is that this is like one of the best rock albums that has been released for a while

And that kind of illustrates the point I'm making...nothing good (that reaches a large audience) has been released for a while, as far as rock n' roll goes.  So, we're inclined to anoint VR as rock n' roll saviors.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
smishkey
Rocker

Let's go Mets!

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2007, 09:23:12 PM »

Sad to say no.  I was very disappointed in Contraband, and Libertad leaves me cold.  Sounds like they're phoning it in.  They are capable of much more than this.  It's a bore.

"They're lead singer-haters"  Scott, 4-23-08 on Howard
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2007, 09:39:50 PM »

But you have to consider the climate it was released in.  Is Libertad better than most of the crap that's out there in mainstream rock right now?  Yes.  Compared to high quality rock albums of the past, it's extremely mediocre
illusionone
VIP

I never wanted you to be so full of anger. . . .

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2007, 09:40:08 PM »

Well - i've never really posted anything on VR, if so it was a long time ago. ?When Contraband came out I was a bit bias because I felt as though I was routing for the bad guys and being a trader to the AXL and GN'R - I know it's stupid, but it's how I felt - I never really gave it a chance. ?That being said, I found myself singing Set Me Free, Slither and Fall to pieces even though I was trying not to. ?I started to download the new album but decided to go out and buy it the first day it came out and I have listened to it with unbias ears and hoping that I would like it. ?Here are my thoughts - ?I listen to the whole album 2-3 times, once in total while at the gym and it was a good album. ?I didn't really dislike any of the songs and it kept me wanting to listen. ?I will say that I have not found a song that grabbed me and kept me singing the chorus as Slither and fall to pieces did instantly. ?I did find myself singing a contraband song while listening to the new album which leads me to believe the songs are similar in rythum.

All of that being said - it's a good, not great album. ?I will keep it in regular rotation on my ipod and will probably play it from begining to end a few more times. I really liked the sound of the album. ?I will also try to relisten to contraband again to see if I like it.

In other news, I just bought tickets to their show in MA for 08/14 to see if I like the band live. ?I'm really trying to view this band as a band and not ex-gnr member wich seems to cloud my judgment. ?

Wake up. . . .time to die
welshrose
Banned
Rocker

Neil Young es Dios.

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2007, 11:10:19 PM »

I disliked Contraband and I dislike Libertad. The melodies are simply not there, the tone is bland and it makes me happier with each listen that Slash is no longer in Guns N' Roses.

Girl I am just a Vampire for your love

And I'm gonna suck ya!!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2007, 12:03:58 PM »

Jarmo, look at one of your trolls bringing up Guns n Roses......  Notice how nobody got mad.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2007, 12:16:20 PM »

But you have to consider the climate it was released in.? Is Libertad better than most of the crap that's out there in mainstream rock right now?? Yes.? Compared to high quality rock albums of the past, it's extremely mediocre

You can't look at like that anymore. Last year FL was national champs in football.  04 Auburn or USC would have killed FL.  Heck, Last years Auburn beat them, but, in regard to last year, they were the best team.  You can only really be compared to those around you at the same time.  How many new albums can beat the old classics?  There is a reason they are classics.  Its so hard now.  But I agree, its the best rock album release in a while.  You couldn't say that about Contraband.  You can say that about this.  I think if this was release in 1997, it would be good then too.  So for the past 10 years, its a pretty damn good album.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2007, 12:35:32 PM »

But you have to consider the climate it was released in.? Is Libertad better than most of the crap that's out there in mainstream rock right now?? Yes.? Compared to high quality rock albums of the past, it's extremely mediocre

You can't look at like that anymore. Last year FL was national champs in football.? 04 Auburn or USC would have killed FL.? Heck, Last years Auburn beat them, but, in regard to last year, they were the best team.? You can only really be compared to those around you at the same time.? How many new albums can beat the old classics?? There is a reason they are classics.? Its so hard now.? But I agree, its the best rock album release in a while.? You couldn't say that about Contraband.? You can say that about this.? I think if this was release in 1997, it would be good then too.? So for the past 10 years, its a pretty damn good album.

Hey, hey, hey.  I'm a Gator alum so watch it, pal!  Smiley

But, in all seriousness, sports and music are different because sports have distinct, separated seasons, whereas music doesn't have that.  You can play an album anytime after it's released, and then play another album that may be more recent immediately after that.  You can't take a team from the 80's and have them play a team from the 90's, though.

Ali
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2007, 12:40:43 PM »

You can't look at like that anymore. Last year FL was national champs in football.? 04 Auburn or USC would have killed FL.? Heck, Last years Auburn beat them, but, in regard to last year, they were the best team.? You can only really be compared to those around you at the same time.? How many new albums can beat the old classics?? There is a reason they are classics.? Its so hard now.? But I agree, its the best rock album release in a while.? You couldn't say that about Contraband.? You can say that about this.? I think if this was release in 1997, it would be good then too.? So for the past 10 years, its a pretty damn good album.

Hey, hey, hey.? I'm a Gator alum so watch it, pal!? Smiley

But, in all seriousness, sports and music are different because sports have distinct, separated seasons, whereas music doesn't have that.? You can play an album anytime after it's released, and then play another album that may be more recent immediately after that.? You can't take a team from the 80's and have them play a team from the 90's, though.

Ali

Good point!

War Eagle!  Should be a good game this year between us!
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2007, 12:40:59 PM »

But you have to consider the climate it was released in.  Is Libertad better than most of the crap that's out there in mainstream rock right now?  Yes.  Compared to high quality rock albums of the past, it's extremely mediocre

You can't look at like that anymore. Last year FL was national champs in football.  04 Auburn or USC would have killed FL.  Heck, Last years Auburn beat them, but, in regard to last year, they were the best team.  You can only really be compared to those around you at the same time.  How many new albums can beat the old classics?  There is a reason they are classics.  Its so hard now.  But I agree, its the best rock album release in a while.  You couldn't say that about Contraband.  You can say that about this.  I think if this was release in 1997, it would be good then too.  So for the past 10 years, its a pretty damn good album.

Hey, hey, hey.  I'm a Gator alum so watch it, pal!  Smiley

But, in all seriousness, sports and music are different because sports have distinct, separated seasons, whereas music doesn't have that.  You can play an album anytime after it's released, and then play another album that may be more recent immediately after that.  You can't take a team from the 80's and have them play a team from the 90's, though.

Ali

Well you could in a video game.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2007, 12:49:23 PM »

Good points, but I'm not convinced. 

It's like saying that Bud Light is the best beer and, when I point out the thousands of beers that are vastly superior, arguing that they can't be compared because Bud Light as a "light" beer.   

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2007, 01:48:38 PM »

i LOVED contraband...this album is pretty forgetable for the most part....especially the first 3 songs....i have to listen to it more....it just sounds weaker.....like the guitars just sound weaker....contrabands guitars were kind of like a kick in the balls like GNR...this is def more like a STP record...
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2007, 02:02:06 PM »

I disagree.  The analogy doesn't work.  In sports the goals are different than music.  The name of the game is winning championships, your goal is to be the best in a given year.  It doesn't really matter if your team isn't as good as the champion from 10 years ago because you aren't playing them, you're only playing the opponents available to you

In music, it's totally different.  Music is not a competetive sport.  It's an artform.  It's not measured in wins and losses or championships, it's a lot more abstract than that.  It's nice to get an album of fresh material, always.  But the problem is that if an album is only good compared to "the rest of the crap out there" then the novelty wears off.

A more apt analogy would be food.  If you're hungry, and you're given the choice between a Big Mac meal and a tiny bowl of plain rice, the Big Mac meal will look amazing by comparison.  Compare that Big Mac meal to a filet mignon from your favorite steakhouse and it doesn't look so good anymore.  That's what Libertad is, it's a Big Mac meal surrounded by stuff ranging from dog shit to plain rice.  But when you start comparing it to the filet mignons of the music world it suddenly doesn't look so good
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2007, 02:12:54 PM »

STOP!  You're making me hungry!

Mmm...dog shit and rice.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2007, 02:13:18 PM »

^^^^That was hilarious! ?I like that. ?You are right, it was a bad analogy. ?But in regards to music awards I may be a little more correct. ?The Big Mac line is funny!
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: