Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 01:16:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228481 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Has this new album switched anyone who disliked contraband..
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has this new album switched anyone who disliked contraband..  (Read 8507 times)
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« on: July 03, 2007, 03:43:05 AM »

Just wondering, anyone who didn't like CB really digging libertad.. I for one have heard only 3 tunes besides the singlea nd love them all.. I am hearing more potential so far.. Rock solid.. it would be cool to see someone who was so anti vr/cb be pro Libertad.. Enjoy holding it and hearing it, and happy 4th, off to work.. beer and of course the store later..
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 03:44:40 AM »

Well I for one really enjoyed the hell out of Contraband, so it's actually made my anticipation for Libertad much more so, to the point that I'm worried about being let down (my general feelings on the lead single). I refuse to download the leaks until I have it later on today. I'm very excited but can see being let down.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 03:46:20 AM »

Well I for one really enjoyed the hell out of Contraband, so it's actually made my anticipation for Libertad much more so, to the point that I'm worried about being let down (my general feelings on the lead single). I refuse to download the leaks until I have it later on today. I'm very excited but can see being let down.

Well hopes are always high.. After hearing 3 of the new tunes I was quite happy, solid vocals, good guitars, bass as well.. Songs you can really rock out too.. I don't wanna hear anymore myself, I'll wait till after work and enjoy it while I'm chilling 4th of july, tk, off to the gym then work then the store.. beer
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 04:09:20 AM »

I dont like Contraband that much, but its better than Libertad.
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 04:14:49 AM »

Jim Bob, I haven't heard anything but the lead single. If I'm not big into SBQM, should I just expect more of the same? I'm picking it up this morning when I get out (I haven't slept in days).
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 05:04:16 AM »

really dude, everyone was like the songs sound the same or i'ts too generic, or whatever.. I hear diversity in the new album, talking guitar different types of solos, flowing beats that are catchy.. It's hard to believe people can dislike so much.. I mean hey if you're not into scott weiland then that's cool cause he sings every song.. It's like people who don't like bruce(maiden) queenryche or axl's high voice.. Either like or don't..
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 05:05:37 AM »

Jim Bob, I haven't heard anything but the lead single. If I'm not big into SBQM, should I just expect more of the same? I'm picking it up this morning when I get out (I haven't slept in days).

Let It Roll is my favorite tune on the album.   

Messages is some of Slash's best playing since the Illusion albums but unfortunately it wasn't included on the album.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 05:07:21 AM »

really dude, everyone was like the songs sound the same or i'ts too generic, or whatever.. I hear diversity in the new album, talking guitar different types of solos, flowing beats that are catchy.. It's hard to believe people can dislike so much.. I mean hey if you're not into scott weiland then that's cool cause he sings every song.. It's like people who don't like bruce(maiden) queenryche or axl's high voice.. Either like or don't..

My problem is most of the songs have potential but they just fail to meet expectations for one reason or another.    Shes Mine is a good example.   It starts out kicking ass but as soon as the chrous starts I can't stand it.     Too much filler on the album.   A few good tunes, Let It Roll is awesome and Just 16 is decent at least musically.

WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 06:26:43 AM »

i never liked contraband, but libertad is a cool record imo. i don`t think it`s that great, but it`s definitely a cool album to listen to... ok

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 08:05:46 AM »

Contraband had two really great songs... everyone know which I?m talking about... but as a whole, I prefer Libertad which is a stronger record. I am more likely to listen to Libertad much more than I ever did of Contraband... I simply love it.  ok

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
sjgotnitro
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 08:15:44 AM »

No the new album overall is not good, musically it is great . The singing and the lyrics kill whatever it did have.

I'm not a big VR fan, but I have to say contraband is much better then this album.

It appears there are a few good songs on thsi one, but in the end it looksl ike a few good songs overshadowed with garbage.

Help Needed

Looking For Video
"Hershey PA. June 1991"
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 08:23:07 AM »

i enjoyed both  Grin and like Contraband, the songs play soo much better live
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 11:25:24 AM »

Mike!?!??!  Where the fuck have you been?  Glad you are back.

The new album fucking rocks, and Jim Bob, go to Itunes, guess what, Messages and Psycho Killer are on the Album.  Now that is killer.  16 songs, one video, Digital book, all for 11.99!!!!!
chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 03:01:01 PM »

I didn't care for contraband that much, I sorta had to force myself into liking it because I was such a fan of the members in the band.  Libertad is just a great album, if it gets the exposure, it could pick up a lot of new fans.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 04:02:46 PM »

I didn't care for contraband that much, I sorta had to force myself into liking it because I was such a fan of the members in the band.? Libertad is just a great album, if it gets the exposure, it could pick up a lot of new fans.

I saw zero publicity for libertad so I doubt it'll do well.. I don't know if the current single was the choice to draw interest.. I mean I fucking hate the fact I have to see the video on at 4am before work.... When CB came out they were all over rock shows and shit, some hype.. I mean I haven't payed much attention of late so I dunno if they've done much to promote.. Just as a casual person I saw nothing really, maybe rolling stone that's about it.. How have the reviews been.?

Smoking guns I've just been sick of forums, kind of better when you live life and one day it just happens(music)
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 04:15:38 PM »

I didn't care for contraband that much, I sorta had to force myself into liking it because I was such a fan of the members in the band.? Libertad is just a great album, if it gets the exposure, it could pick up a lot of new fans.

I saw zero publicity for libertad so I doubt it'll do well.. I don't know if the current single was the choice to draw interest.. I mean I fucking hate the fact I have to see the video on at 4am before work.... When CB came out they were all over rock shows and shit, some hype.. I mean I haven't payed much attention of late so I dunno if they've done much to promote.. Just as a casual person I saw nothing really, maybe rolling stone that's about it.. How have the reviews been.?

Smoking guns I've just been sick of forums, kind of better when you live life and one day it just happens(music)

Well, I honestly don't feel that "She Builds Quick Machines" is anywhere near as good as either "Set Me Free" (which benefited from a cool Slash opening riff) and "Slither" (which had that great Duff bass line opening the song and slow, building tension following suit).  I think this may hurt the initial reaction to Libertad which is a shame considering I feel it is a stronger, more cohesive effort than Contraband, though stylistically I preferred Contraband.

Ali
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 04:26:12 PM »

I think a lot of people who this album would have appealed to might not check it out because they didn't like Contraband.  And I think a lot of people who liked Contraband quite a bit might be let down with this one. 

I liked CB quite a bit, not a great album, they played it too safe, but a good straight ahead rocking album that is for the most part consistent from beginning to end with some scattered filler, and a few outstanding songs.  I was hoping they would take a few more risks here.  They may have more variety of sounds but they didn't really take any risks, they still played it safe these time around, and meanwhile the album has very little of the in your face attitude that made Contraband work, and at the same time the ballads on Contraband were also superior
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 04:48:10 PM »

I have  the album but have only heard a few songs, kind of baby sitting right now and the stereo is inside.. Lt it roll sounds amazing, the band sounds so tight.. Let it roll, american man, pills, out the door.. Those r the only ones I have heard and I think they kick serious ass, punk n rock, the vocals are really strong., Scot sounds great clean.. beer
Eclipsed107
VIP

Fucked over in Philly - 12/06/02

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 09:05:27 PM »

So far I like Contraband a lot more, but I've only given Libertad 1 full listen (on my second right now).  I'll get back to you in a week. ;-)

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 09:36:04 PM »

It's done the opposite for me, I loved Contraband and still do, but I'm not quite convinced by Libertad.
And it's frustrating me because I really dig pretty much everything Slash has put out and played on, but I'm just not digging Libertad.

I say bring on a Slash solo album already! ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: