Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2024, 04:38:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228097 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  messages should be on libertad
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: messages should be on libertad  (Read 39690 times)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2007, 10:37:23 PM »

Strangely, I dont share most VR fans enthusiasm over this song.  I certainly think its good, but not VRs best song. 

I dont think it was dropped due to concerns about controversy (or else they simply wouldnt have released it).  I think the likeliest reason was that the band didnt think it fit on the main album. 
gunsnroses85
Headliner

YOU'RE GONNA' DIEEEE!!!!!

« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2007, 10:52:47 PM »

This easily could have replaced American Man on the album. Both making reference to America in their own ways and it would fit well with the title Libertad. There is absolutely no excuse for this not making the album.

Oh she's a cornshucker!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2007, 11:30:34 PM »

Yeah Booker, have no idea where u are comin from

This in my opinion easily the best VR song.

I think its better than YGNR,FTP and LTA and better than everything on Libertad by far. It crushes Last Fight, Pills,Demons, For A Brother, Gravedancer...........

This was a top 10 smash on the main c harts.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2007, 11:44:55 PM »

OK, I'm officially jumping on the bandwagon. This IS VR's best song, bottom line.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
Crazyman
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2007, 11:47:13 PM »

You have got to be shitting me if Spay and She Mine made Libertad, but this song didn't.  Shocked

Messages and GOTD are, imo, VR's best songs
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2007, 11:57:06 PM »

There is absolutely no excuse for this not making the album.

Pacing could be one.  The song is good, but quite maudlin. 
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2007, 12:04:13 AM »

There is absolutely no excuse for this not making the album.

Pacing could be one.? The song is good, but quite maudlin.?

A great song is a great song. there is no excuse.

Booker why can't u just admit they fucked up?

Is it that hard?

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #87 on: July 01, 2007, 12:08:24 AM »

"November Rain" doesnt belong on Appetite For Destruction.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2007, 12:10:53 AM »

Unbelievable that they left this beauty off the album, this is one of their finest songs.  Now I'm not ready to put it above YGNR, or Loving The Alien which is my favorite VR song, but it's better than anything on Libertad.

The only downside of putting a really good song like this on the album, is that it would illuminate just how mediocre most of the album is, seriously.  What a waste
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2007, 12:12:07 AM »

November Rain, Don't Cry and others were saved with the assurance they'd get their time to shine on later albums.  I doubt that the same is the case with Messages
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2007, 12:13:08 AM »

November Rain, Don't Cry and others were saved with the assurance they'd get their time to shine on later albums.

Youre right, but that doesnt have anything to do with my point.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2007, 12:25:01 AM »

November Rain, Don't Cry and others were saved with the assurance they'd get their time to shine on later albums.

Youre right, but that doesnt have anything to do with my point.

I understand your point, and yes November Rain would've been out of place on AFD, if AFD was in its current format.  My point is that the final tracklisting with AFD was chosen with a grand scheme in place.  This is a different situation.  This is a case of leaving one of this band's best songs off an album and potentially never having it appear on an official release, which would be a bad move.  This would be like leaving November Rain off AFD and then leaving it off the UYI albums as well, a total waste of a good song

Furthermore, I dont' think Messages would be especially out of place on Libertad, it fits well enough alongside songs like Last Fight and Gravedancer, sure it's a little more depressing but it's not nearly as big a departure as NR was from the AFD sound
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2007, 12:44:36 AM »

Agreed but they didnt release it as a B Side either.

If Messages were gonna be on the next VR album, Id forgive them but to make their greatest song in my opinion *At least Greatest Ballad/Slow Song* a Bside is just pure lunacy.

This Damn song has united PRO GNR and VR fans somehow to all agree on something.

This song has one of the best vocal melodies I have ever heard, Scott's voice absolutely soars.

U guys keep overrating "Mary Mary" talk in about a hook

THIS SONG HAS A Hook big enough to catch a Fuckin Whale.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 12:47:33 AM by D » Logged

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2007, 12:50:09 AM »

This is a case of leaving one of this band's best songs off an album and potentially never having it appear on an official release, which would be a bad move.  This would be like leaving November Rain off AFD and then leaving it off the UYI albums as well, a total waste of a good song

A fair point, but again, separate from the one I made in reference to Ds post.

Im not even necessarily saying it should have been left off.  I simply disagree with anyone who says theres no excuse for leaving it off of the main album.  There is an excuse.  You might not agree with it, and thats perfectly fair, but its still a valid one.

Another weird aspect of this is the fact that it is being officially released. 

Furthermore, I dont' think Messages would be especially out of place on Libertad, it fits well enough alongside songs like Last Fight and Gravedancer, sure it's a little more depressing but it's not nearly as big a departure as NR was from the AFD sound

I can see your point.  However, I can also see how its inclusion could stall the momentum: "The Last Fight" and "Cant Get It Out Of My Head" arent nearly as slow and maudlin and "Gravedancer" concludes the album.  You used a good word: "depressing."  Its possible that the band just felt the song was too depressing to fit in the album they wanted.  Im ultimately ambivalent and not arguing that VR made the right decision, just a possibly legitimate one.
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2007, 01:13:03 AM »

All that matters is that at least some people can hear it at the moment, so it's not as if it's going to go unheard forever.

GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2007, 01:21:24 AM »

All that matters is that at least some people can hear it at the moment, so it's not as if it's going to go unheard forever.

true, i think we all just wish it got the recognition it deserves. (being properly released, and maybe even a single, etc. )

i mean my main gripe about VR in general, and i'm sure many others will agree with this, is that they just dont seem like they are living up to their potential, i mean STP and GNR were fantastic rock bands, and we know what these guys are capable of.

i think this is the first VR song i've heard that really lives up to this bands massive potential. it also gives me hope for the future of this band.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 01:24:29 AM by GnFnR87 » Logged

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
BillBailey
Headliner

greatest piece of album art ever UYI

« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2007, 01:31:48 AM »

This easily could have replaced American Man on the album. Both making reference to America in their own ways and it would fit well with the title Libertad. There is absolutely no excuse for this not making the album.

I have been saying this since yesterday. Although I think that gutter trash song spay should have been the one to go. This would be like GNR going well I don't think we should put the blues on CD.....

There's a lot goin on here.....
Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2007, 01:33:11 AM »

GnFnr87, that's what I've thought since I first heard Contraband. If I wasn't told, I would've never guessed that was Slash riffing away. STP had something about it as well, and Scott's voice, in my opinion, sounded miles better then than now. I don't know, hopefully this song is a sign of things to come.

(I'm not bashing Velvet Revolver in any way, I'm just agreeing with GnFnR87, I still support the band and it's members in what they do.)
It seems we need disclaimers in our posts when in this section. hihi

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2007, 01:35:12 AM »

Slash's beautiful melodies and tone are what make this song.  Scott sings with a nice tone and some genuine and touching emotion.

Ali
deansouthpaw
Opening Act

« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2007, 01:37:55 AM »

libertad i think is versatile enough to fit "Messages" and "Gas and a Dollar Laugh" on them

if they had been originally released on the album none of you would've thought anything of it

oh well....like somebody else said, at least we get to hear these masterpieces.  i still can't believe how heavenly "Messages" sounds

"Sex is like a gun:  you aim, you shoot, you run"

-Steven Tyler
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: