Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 05:40:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228122 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Did STAR WARS Episodes I, II and III suck?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did STAR WARS Episodes I, II and III suck?  (Read 11255 times)
GeraldFord
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2007, 09:49:49 PM »

III suffered from some of the same problems as I and II, but I really liked that one. Great popcorn flick. It actually had a PLOT that you could follow, great action sequences and the dual between Anakin and Ben was terrific, as good as any scene from the OT.

The duel is such a snoozer, just like every other duel.? and it ends so abruptly and retardedly...."I have the high ground!!!"? huh?Huh

same for yoda and the emperor.? yoda just says "eh fuck it, i'll just give up and go to swamp planet".? he wasn't beaten.

then once ben defeats annakin they both him and yoda go into exile!??!?! why not both take on the emperor (since yoda is too much of a puss to do it himself).

Grievous is one of the worst villians introduced in all of the movies - at least maul seemed menacing and could kick some serious ass.? Grievous just walks around with a cold and a bad accent and gets killed by a blaster.

the opening scene is so bad, i don't know where to start with that.? and all the other action scenes are just thrown in for the sake of using special effects.

3 is absolutely terrible on its own, but even worse considering Lucas had two attempts prior to learn from his mistakes and he STILL made a shit movie.? to even consider its on par with any of the movies from 4-6 is just insane.

I thought the dual between Anakin (or I guess he was Vader at that point) and Ben was terrific. And remember Anakin was impulsive and not able to show restraint, so even when Ben warned him, he still went after him and lost his limbs as a result.

I guess Yoda and Ben didn't go after the Emperor because at that point the Republic had been destroyed and the they had no allies to assist them against the entire Empire.
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2007, 09:55:54 PM »

the premise for the prequels sounded awesome. anakin becoming vader, etc.

it was just poorly exectuted. very very very poorly exectuted. lol.

the acting/directing was also horrible. not that it was that great in the original trilogy but i dont think it was a coincidence that the one movie Lucas did not direct, The Empire Strikes Back is viewed as the best of the three.

also, lucas was responsible for the stories but had other peope write the screenplays for the original trilogy, for the prequels he did all the writing duties.

the problem is lucas is good for stories and concepts, but is a terrible director and can't write dialogue. don't forget that lucas was responsible for the stories of all three Indiana Jones movies, thank god spielberg directed them and someone else wrote the scripts...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 10:03:41 PM by GnFnR87 » Logged

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2007, 03:28:49 AM »

I thought the dual between Anakin (or I guess he was Vader at that point) and Ben was terrific. And remember Anakin was impulsive and not able to show restraint, so even when Ben warned him, he still went after him and lost his limbs as a result.

I guess Yoda and Ben didn't go after the Emperor because at that point the Republic had been destroyed and the they had no allies to assist them against the entire Empire.

I've always felt any of the battles in I, II, or III... were bad. You could say a bunch of stuff about cinematography being better, or better special effects... but the emotion is lacking. Alot. Watch the fight between Luke and Vader in TESB and watch a fight in I, II, or III....

Who wants to see people dancing? In the original trilogy every strike looked like a blow to kill. It had heaviness to it. Not fancy, unnecessary flips, ect.

gnrevolution.com
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2007, 04:46:54 AM »

I'll keep this short.

I'll start this off by saying episodes IV and V, I thought were great movies. Episode VI, was good but it wasn't nearly as good IV and V. I didn't like the idea of another deathstar nor did like ewoks beating up stormtroopers and AT-ST's.

Episode I---I liked some of it. Taken as a whole its horrible, but i did enjoy the action of the last 30 minutes or so. I absolutely loved the duel between darth maul Obi-wan and Qui Gon Jinn. Its my favorite duel from all 6 star wars films.

Episode II--It was a masterpiece compared to Episode I, which is really not hard to do. Overall I enjoyed it quite a bit. Except I thought the yoda duel was a bit too cartoony.

Episode III-- Is the 3rd best star wars film, jam packed with action and some awesome light-saber duels. And at the very end it just makes me wish I could experience the original trilogy for the very first time all over again. smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2007, 06:51:51 AM »

Sorry, I'm getting in late on this thread, just saw it.  To say Episode 3 sucked is just not true.  Episode 3 was a kick-ass movie.  Episodes 1 and 2 didn't exactly suck, they seemed to be geared toward small children.  2 was better than 1, but Annakin's acting in 2 is horrendously awful.  I'm glad he really showed some growth between 2 and 3.

peace

PS  Natalie Portman   drool  drool  drool  drool  drool  drool  drool  drool  drool  drool  drool  drool   love 

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2007, 07:55:30 AM »

PS  Natalie Portman   drool  drool  drool  drool  drool  drool  drool  drool  drool  drool  drool  drool   love 

....was much better in V for Vendetta...though I must admit a certain affinity for her acting in the "colliseum" scene in 3...probably because she's in a skin tight outfit, showing midriff, and NOT TALKING!

That's what gets me about the prequels:  Almost ALL the actors have displayed BETTER acting in almost every movie they've been in (or close to it).   So it's either a matter of direction, OR that Lucas WANTED them to appear "wooden".

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2007, 08:12:38 AM »

For me, Episode IV and V were the best. I and II were horrible, but each had their few good moments. III was very good. Just some real bad acting in the prequels. Episode VI was kind of a kids movie, but it came out when I was a kid and I loved it back in '83.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Rocksteady
Rocker

Fist in the air in the land of hipocrisy

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2007, 10:15:34 AM »

Episode I - Pretty much sucked, although Maul was awesome and Qui-Gon was probably the coolest Jedi Master(Anakin was never a master).

Episode II - Was a lot better. When looking back it's actually a very important part of the saga. Jango Fett was cool also seeing Yoda fight was pretty badass.

Episode III - Awesome! My second favourite SW movie after ESB. Too many memorable scenes and lines to list.  Sidious is a villain you simply love to hate.

This   is   Democracy!!!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2007, 10:58:34 AM »

The problem, and this may be due to it being a prequel, is that at some point Anakin's actions became very predictable.  Of course he wasn't going to give up when he had the low ground.  There was no suspense to it.  It wasn't bad...just predictable.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2007, 02:25:52 PM »

Episode II really PISSED me off because months before the movies release they had built Jango Fett to be such an awsome character (comic books, back story, promotion, etc.) but then george lucas, being the dumbass that he is, killed him off like he was a little bitch. he killed HUNDREDS of jedi back when the mandolorians were at there strongest.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2007, 03:04:24 PM »

Episode II really PISSED me off because months before the movies release they had built Jango Fett to be such an awsome character (comic books, back story, promotion, etc.) but then george lucas, being the dumbass that he is, killed him off like he was a little bitch. he killed HUNDREDS of jedi back when the mandolorians were at there strongest.

Well Mace Windu is supose to be the best combat jedi ever. It was showing how much of bad ass he is. Jango gets away from Obi-wan in a good fight but should die very easily to a much more powerful jedi. god i feel like such a geek.? hihi smoking

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2007, 03:42:58 PM »

The problem, and this may be due to it being a prequel, is that at some point Anakin's actions became very predictable.  Of course he wasn't going to give up when he had the low ground.  There was no suspense to it.  It wasn't bad...just predictable.

it was pretty bad. the entire fight lacked any passion/emotion.  like someone else said, watch the fight in empire between luke and vader - it might not be as special effecty or ninja like as the prequels, but you really get a sense of the drama.

really surprised to hear so many people like ep3.  i guess it has more of a SW feel than the other two, but its still an incredibly flawed/bad movie.  Tons of action?  were we watching the same film? 

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2007, 03:47:37 PM »

I dig the ones made in the 70's-80's have only seen the "episode 1" of the later ones.. wont see the others
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2007, 08:18:18 PM »

Cheapjon, honestly, I guarantee you've seen worse movies than Episodes 2 and 3.  2 really isn't that bad.  My wife and I enjoyed it...but episode 3 is a damn good movie.  Freedom mentioned predictability being a problem, but yeah, of course it is because it's a prequel.  We all know what happens to Annakin, and for me, I really enjoyed watching Vader's path to the Dark side.  I guess as a kid, I always thought in the back of my immature brain that Vader was forced into being Vader, etc.  I loved Ep. 3.   peace

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
The Chad Cometh
Mike Stewart is God
VIP

Don't think Axl! Makes my dick itch!

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2007, 09:09:29 PM »

I really liked EpIII ... Especially the General Grievous / Obi-Wan fight, although it was portrayed much better in the book (who's the geek now eh?).

What I think a lot of people miss is that the prequels were not so much about the rise of Darth Vader as they were the rise of the emperor. Ep I, though far from a good movie, is unbelievably vital in the story of how the emperor came to power. All that stuff about trade sanctions and blockades, while boring, are highly relevent in explaining how Palpatine was able to become the new High Chancellor, and from there in Ep II and III ... the Emperor.

I really liked the new lightsaber fights ... puts the old ones to shame because Jedi should be able to fight the way they do in the prequels ... I mean you're using a sword made of light, it's going to weigh nothing and be able to be swung at ridiculous speeds. The corresponding increase in jumps, flips and what not is a by product of training in an age when weapons like that were the norm (every jedi kid had one) .

I was living to the best of my ability, now I'm living in correctional facility
difleha
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2007, 09:35:50 PM »

General Grievous should be put to shame. I'm sorry; he shouldn't be in the movie.
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2007, 11:15:16 AM »

Well Mace Windu is supose to be the best combat jedi ever. It was showing how much of bad ass he is. Jango gets away from Obi-wan in a good fight but should die very easily to a much more powerful jedi. god i feel like such a geek.? hihi smoking

I can understand if he got killed by mace windu, but seriously, being decapitated like that was just stupid. Jango could have done a million things to defend himself against windu, but instead he just fired his blaster a couple times at him like he was a fucking storm trooper or something.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2007, 04:18:23 PM »

i thought all the star wars movies were pretty bad ass, however, i'm far from being one of those little turds that knows everything there to know about the series.

but i have a question, are there going to be any more star wars movies? i heard that originally lucas planed to have it as a 9 part series- part 4,5, & 6 then 1, 2, &3 now will there ever be a part7, 8, & 9 Huh

peace

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2007, 04:33:06 PM »

^ Lucas said he wouldnt do more when he finished these latest ones, but he's a liar and a bored destroyer of classic films, so I bet they'll be more eventually.

Episode II is one of the worst films from this century. I don't care if Padme loves water or if Anakin hates sand, and the story is totally out of the blue from Episode I. I was pretty awful but at least Darth Maul was badass and the final saber battle was pretty cool.

III sucked in the way the original triloy did, which is good.

The main problem with the new trilogy is that everything was too big. When a space battle features thousands of ships, and there are millions of clones versus millions of robots, that's too much. Star Wars: CGI isn't nearly as entertaining as the original movies with characterization and robots without asthma.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2007, 06:59:24 PM »

^ Lucas said he wouldnt do more when he finished these latest ones, but he's a liar and a bored destroyer of classic films, so I bet they'll be more eventually.

i actually read on movies.go.com that he offered harrison ford up to 30 million dollars to reprise his role as han solo if he makes a new movie. Ford declined. thank god.

Hemingway
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: