Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 05:30:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228121 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Did STAR WARS Episodes I, II and III suck?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did STAR WARS Episodes I, II and III suck?  (Read 11249 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2007, 01:41:13 PM »

Empire was by far the best of them all, followed closely by the original.  Jedi was good, but not as good as the first two.

Episode III was passable, but not even on par with Jedi, for me.  Why, you ask?  Because (aside from the rotten acting...but that's not new for SW movies)  they crammed too damn much into it.  I understand they wanted to answer all the questions about Vader....but saving ALL that up for  Ep III is what made the first 2 eps absolute, boring abortions (well, that and Jar Jar in Ep I): No real answers or action.  And I agree....the final scene should be stripped out of every showing from now until the end of time......He's become Vader for christ sake....one of the most badass villians ever....not some emo pussyboy broken up over losing his girlfriend. 

Episode II was bad.  At least there was less Jar Jar.  But if I wanted political thrillers, I'd scope a Tom Clancy movie.  I understand George wanted to convey frustrating buerocracy, but Jesus....he didn't have to frustrate THE AUDIENCE with it!  There was at least SOMETHING to it (the scenes depicting Padme falling for Anakin, and the Sandpeople massacre) progressing Vader's "birth", which is why it's better than Ep I, but just not enough.  Hell, the Clone Wars cartoon series did a better job!

Episode I was awful.....it should be stripped from the annals of history.  Wooden Jake Loyd, Wooden Natalie Portman, and the devils spawn that is Jar Jar make this the ONE star wars movie I am simply unable to watch.  The ONLY good part about the movie was the "duel of the fates" with Obi and Qui  going against Darth Maul.  The rest was a craptacular waste of time (yes, including the pod racing crap), celluloid (or whatever digital equivalent the digital theaters used), and money. 

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 01:45:32 PM »

I'm gonna get killed for saying that I hate the entire Star Wars franchise. I don't see what the fucking hype is all about. A bunch of ugly aliens and weird looking robots... and people actually forming a religion called "The Force"? Nuts.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going into hiding. nervous

I call a fatwa on the infidel!

There are no fatwas in The Force! Get your facts straight you burka clad Fatima! rant

Fuck 'Em All.
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 02:08:05 PM »

Did STAR WARS Episodes I, II and III suck?

No, they didnt.  Its just not cool to say you liked them.  Kinda like GnR in the late 90s.  Do they compare to the original trilogy? No.  But nothing does. They came out in a different day and age.  You know, when people didnt bitch and moan about every little thing on message boards,  and admit to liking nothing.  The original trilogy became more than just movies to everyone, which is why nobody wants to admit to liking the new ones. 
   Also, Episode 1 gets a bad rap.  People didnt start hating it until a couple of years AFTER it came out.  If it was as bad as some poeple say it was, then word of mouth would have killed it.  But it didnt.  The audiences were cheering in that movie every time I saw it.  And everyone lined up around the corner to buy the DVD. 
    Bottom line is, The prequals are like Metallicas "Black,Load, and ReLoad"   Highly successful.  And really good.  But nobody want to admit it.
GeraldFord
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 02:25:45 PM »

Ewan McGregor was great. Lucas got that one right.

Other lame things about 1-3

-Anakin built 3CPO and R2D2.Whatever....
-Anakn gets in that ship and kills everyone in ep 1.
-jar jar binks- wtf was Lucas smoking?
-The plots of I and II--all over the place. It's as though those movies were just a bunch of random scenes with the intention of getting people to buy shit from toys r us.
-Pod Race
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 02:28:34 PM by RichardNixon » Logged
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 02:35:16 PM »

Simple.? The Empire was going through a midlife crisis, so they were easily distracted by the Corvette.? Because of this distraction they didn't realize that the Calamari had spoiled and they became ill, and the medical frigate denied them treatment because they were out of network and it was deemed a pre-existing condition.? The transports were carrying Michael Moore, who filmed the entire thing for a documentary about health care problems in the Empire, and the combined gravitational pull of the death star and Michael Moore caused the Super Star Destroyer to crash into the death star.? ? ?

...well, its still the best answer i've heard so far hihi

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2007, 02:39:44 PM »

I'm gonna get killed for saying that I hate the entire Star Wars franchise. I don't see what the fucking hype is all about. A bunch of ugly aliens and weird looking robots... and people actually forming a religion called "The Force"? Nuts.

There are no fatwas in The Force! Get your facts straight you burka clad Fatima! rant

i'll personally train padwans to hunt u down in the name of our loosely defined beliefs!

the light side of the force may only be used for knowledge and defence - but as i went to the Darth Abu Hamza school of jediing - ''defence'' can also include pre meditated murder

u have been warned!

ROAR!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2007, 02:44:07 PM »

Ewan McGregor was great. Lucas got that one right.

Other lame things about 1-3

-Anakin built 3CPO and R2D2.Whatever....
-Anakn gets in that ship and kills everyone in ep 1.
-jar jar binks- wtf was Lucas smoking?
-The plots of I and II--all over the place. It's as though those movies were just a bunch of random scenes with the intention of getting people to buy shit from toys r us.
-Pod Race

Indeed - though Anakin didnt build R2D2

I loved the way the Trade Federation control ship had its reactor in the same place it kept ship destroy laser cannons and conveniently had the reactor freely accesible for anyone to view confused

...i also loved the way the ship destroying laser cannons suddenly vanished when Anakin was immobile on the hanger deck...

plot holes there are me thinks!

..and the pod race was beyond boring! If Sebulba's pod racer was twice the size of Anakins...yet wasnt as fast, does that mean Sebulba's pod racer was effectively 90% empty space?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 02:45:53 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2007, 03:06:59 PM »

ep 1 2 3 sucked ass. as movies.

they are just not part of the Star Wars x-logy.

dead to me.

Ep 2 and 3 were so bad it made Ep 1 looked good. - and you know what? , i actually like ep1 now - that's how much ep2 /3 were bad mainstream pop corn flick filled with pseudo seriousness, disgusting action phases, a mess of storyline with thousands of little events to follow. i hated them.

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2007, 03:16:49 PM »

ep 1 2 3 sucked ass. as movies.

they are just not part of the Star Wars x-logy.

dead to me.

Ep 2 and 3 were so bad it made Ep 1 looked good. - and you know what? , i actually like ep1 now - that's how much ep2 /3 were bad mainstream pop corn flick filled with pseudo seriousness, disgusting action phases, a mess of storyline with thousands of little events to follow. i hated them.

I totally agree about 2 and 3.  absolutely terrible.  ep1 looks like an oscar winner compared to 2 and 3.  i wouldn't say i LIKE ep1, but i can watch it whereas the other ones i really can't sit through them.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
GeraldFord
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2007, 03:20:03 PM »

I don't see how anyone could prefer I over II and III. 

Fucking terrible.

-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2007, 03:21:50 PM »

Episodes I, II, and III were super crappy.

None of them were good. Especially not II. That movie went on and on for wayyyy too long. Can anyone even remember the plot?

3 may have been the "best" of the new trilogy but that's hardly saying anything. It suckeddddd.

gnrevolution.com
GeraldFord
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2007, 03:26:06 PM »

III suffered from some of the same problems as I and II, but I really liked that one. Great popcorn flick. It actually had a PLOT that you could follow, great action sequences and the dual between Anakin and Ben was terrific, as good as any scene from the OT.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2007, 03:33:06 PM »

III suffered from some of the same problems as I and II, but I really liked that one. Great popcorn flick. It actually had a PLOT that you could follow, great action sequences and the dual between Anakin and Ben was terrific, as good as any scene from the OT.

The duel is such a snoozer, just like every other duel.  and it ends so abruptly and retardedly...."I have the high ground!!!"  huh??? 

same for yoda and the emperor.  yoda just says "eh fuck it, i'll just give up and go to swamp planet".  he wasn't beaten.

then once ben defeats annakin they both him and yoda go into exile!??!?! why not both take on the emperor (since yoda is too much of a puss to do it himself).

Grievous is one of the worst villians introduced in all of the movies - at least maul seemed menacing and could kick some serious ass.  Grievous just walks around with a cold and a bad accent and gets killed by a blaster.

the opening scene is so bad, i don't know where to start with that.  and all the other action scenes are just thrown in for the sake of using special effects.

3 is absolutely terrible on its own, but even worse considering Lucas had two attempts prior to learn from his mistakes and he STILL made a shit movie.  to even consider its on par with any of the movies from 4-6 is just insane.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2007, 04:50:01 PM »

The duel is such a snoozer, just like every other duel.  and it ends so abruptly and retardedly...."I have the high ground!!!"  huh??? 

same for yoda and the emperor.  yoda just says "eh fuck it, i'll just give up and go to swamp planet".  he wasn't beaten.

then once ben defeats annakin they both him and yoda go into exile!??!?! why not both take on the emperor (since yoda is too much of a puss to do it himself).

Grievous is one of the worst villians introduced in all of the movies - at least maul seemed menacing and could kick some serious ass.  Grievous just walks around with a cold and a bad accent and gets killed by a blaster.

the opening scene is so bad, i don't know where to start with that.  and all the other action scenes are just thrown in for the sake of using special effects.

3 is absolutely terrible on its own, but even worse considering Lucas had two attempts prior to learn from his mistakes and he STILL made a shit movie.  to even consider its on par with any of the movies from 4-6 is just insane.

And that's the least of it. III sucked.

gnrevolution.com
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2007, 06:12:05 PM »

I think Episode I was bad, really really bad...

II was better, but not great.

III was pretty good, at least as good as VI.

That said, even III suffered from some of the same problems as I and II--wooden acting, miscasting actors, etc.

i agree. III is the best of the bunch. thats not saying much though.

IV, V, and VI are fantastic though, love them to death.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2007, 06:13:36 PM »

I love Star Wars ANH and ESB but ROTJ is hopelessly dated and more than a little twee - despertely needs a CGI upgrade

...and explain to me..one more time...how 2 Calamari cruisers, a medical frigate, a corvette and several transports decimate a Super Star Destroyer and atleast 25 Star Destroyers?

I've always said i could die a happy man if someone could explain to me that in a satisfactory way

...and dont say ''other ships were just out of view'' - cos they weren't, we see on multiple occaisions the entire ''fleet''

ummm, an A-Wing crashed into the bridge of the Super Star Destroyer. that fucked shit up.

not sure about the 25 star destroyers tho, i watched it again recently and just noticed those. that i can't explain.

i used to be a huge star wars geek. not so much anymore but they are still fun movies.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 06:17:46 PM by GnFnR87 » Logged

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2007, 08:46:49 PM »

Of course I, II, III will never live up to the original trilogy, but if any of the prequals "seemed" like a star wars movie it would be III.

Another reason why it is so hard for me to watch episodes II and III is because of the guy who played anakin. what a shitty actor.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
difleha
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2007, 08:55:57 PM »

At least we got to see the duel of Darth Maul and two of the jedi. ok

But you're right, they need to come up with a new Esp.1,2,3 with a better cast, new story lines, and a better director. Seeing how stubborn Lucas is, that'll never happen.

Lucas could've switched directors like he did in the old trilogy.
monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2007, 09:26:35 PM »

The problem with Episode 1-3 is that it should be one long film or maybe 2 films at most...not 3.

I've heard the the original series (4-6) was designed from a story-arc originally intended to be one movie and it was blown out to three when lucas realized that you couldn't fit the Empire and Jedi into A New Hope without rushing. Worked out well...but...

Unfortunately when considering the backstory for the prequals....it seems they decided in advance they would make 3 movies to make it match, yet no one stopped to consider if there is enough material and story to warrant that length. Its not just 3 movies either...its three long movies....

The prequal trillogy runs for 6.9 hours....and frankly just not enough good stuff happens. Its like the stuff you want to see thats cool happens in these little snippits...and the stuff we don't really care about is covered in depth.

These movies SHOULD have been cool. It should have been the story of the creation of the empire, and watching a man turn to darkness and become vader. Its not a disinteresting plot line...but it was made disinteresting but the amount of extra crap and bad pacing they threw in.

But think of it as one movie. Anakin as a child would have been a 15 Minute Flash back at the start of the film, the main plot would be how anakins training is getting corrupted, Darth Maul and Obiwan can fight, Anakin can turn dubious a lot earlier, then goes fully evil, Ahh it would be awesome. Just think of all the good bits in one flick!
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2007, 09:36:16 PM »

I love the original trilogy. But can't stand the prequels.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: