Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 05:27:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228121 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Did STAR WARS Episodes I, II and III suck?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did STAR WARS Episodes I, II and III suck?  (Read 11248 times)
GeraldFord
« on: July 02, 2007, 04:13:31 AM »

I think Episode I was bad, really really bad...

II was better, but not great.

III was pretty good, at least as good as VI.

That said, even III suffered from some of the same problems as I and II--wooden acting, miscasting actors, etc.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 04:24:53 AM »

I'm gonna get killed for saying that I hate the entire Star Wars franchise. I don't see what the fucking hype is all about. A bunch of ugly aliens and weird looking robots... and people actually forming a religion called "The Force"? Nuts.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going into hiding. nervous

Fuck 'Em All.
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 04:28:02 AM »

I somewhat agree with you about Revenge of the Sith being a step up in this trilogy, but still only matching the lowest point in the "classic" trilogy, being Jedi. Somewhat because I actually like Attack of the Clones best out of the new trilogy. Empire is best of the series.
GeraldFord
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 04:29:05 AM »

I'm gonna get killed for saying that I hate the entire Star Wars franchise. I don't see what the fucking hype is all about. A bunch of ugly aliens and weird looking robots... and people actually forming a religion called "The Force"? Nuts.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going into hiding
I see what you are saying. I don't understand the hysteria around SW. That said, I enjoyed the origanal movies--great popcorn flicks--nothing more, nothing less.
GeraldFord
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 04:32:46 AM »

I somewhat agree with you about Revenge of the Sith being a step up in this trilogy, but still only matching the lowest point in the "classic" trilogy, being Jedi. Somewhat because I actually like Attack of the Clones best out of the new trilogy. Empire is best of the series.

V-ESB- total classic, a great, great movie.
IV-ANH- Almost as good
IV- Ewoks don't do it for me, still, a great film.
III- Bad, bad acting aside (Portman is like a wooden china doll) I liked this film a lot. Lived up to the SW name.
II- An enjoyable film, not great.
I- A wreck.

Unless you are a SW buff, can anyone offhand even explain the plots of I and II?
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 04:35:49 AM »

Very similar and III and II are a near toss up for me, but:

V
IV
VI
II
III
I

Sad that Portman can't act her way through a Star Wars movie, she's so pretty and talented everywhere else. Blame the dialogue perhaps? Even Hayden Christiansen's (sp) not that bad an actor overall, but just horribly miscast as Anakin.
GeraldFord
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 04:42:01 AM »

Very similar and III and II are a near toss up for me, but:

V
IV
VI
II
III
I

Sad that Portman can't act her way through a Star Wars movie, she's so pretty and talented everywhere else. Blame the dialogue perhaps? Even Hayden Christiansen's (sp) not that bad an actor overall, but just horribly miscast as Anakin.

Oh yeah. For Anakin they needed someone badass. Like a Brando or James Dean, not some pretty boy. And the dialogue was fucking awful, just awful.
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 04:46:02 AM »

Jonathan Rhys Meyers would have been a pretty badass Anakin (even though I think Vader might work best as a black guy, but that gets complicated).

stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 05:15:07 AM »

Um, who's that guy!  Shocked

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 05:31:00 AM »

Um, who's that guy!  Shocked

Jonathan Rhys Meyers. He's Irish. I've liked him as an actor for a while, but it looks like he might be catching on now in The Tudors on Showtime (I don't get Showtime, but I'm looking forward to the eventual DVD). He was in Velvet Goldmine and B. Monkey. He did the Elvis TV movie a couple years ago and won the Golden Globe. Great actor. Very dark and brooding. Would have worked well as Anakin.
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 05:44:16 AM »

Oh, yeh! Now I recognise him from Velvet Goldmine! and I can see the Elvis in him! Good actor, love dark and brooding!

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 06:19:29 AM »

hated Ep III, it sucked so much ass.

i enjoyed I and especially II for its huge battle scenes

html sucks
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 06:47:41 AM »

All of the first three new episodes were pretty bad.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 07:21:54 AM »

Ep I Was aweful but i honestly think that the other 2 were in line with the other Star Wars.

The Empire Strikes Back was the pinnicle for me and return of the Jedi was a great ending.

I think of the Star wars films as one story. I tried not to get bogged down in which one is better than others. Coz all of them tell the greatest story ever in film IMO.

I could quite happily watch all 6 films and not get bored by any of them. Although if Jar Jar Binks was cut out of all of them it wouldn't be the worst thing ever

I'm Gonna Buy A Gun And Start A War
If You Can Tell Me Something Worth Fighting For
[/color]

Get on your Dancing Shoes
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 07:29:35 AM »

Episode I was awful, II was slightly better, and III was up there with the original series in terms of quality.

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 10:51:22 AM »

Episode I was awful, II was slightly better, and III was up there with the original series in terms of quality.

3 was arguably the worst of the 6.  completely boring, terrible dialog, nice eye candy in the action scenes, but most of them seem throw in just for the sake of having an action scene.

wraith shields?
buzz droids?
robots with nerdy/nasally voices?
Dart Vader doing his best Frankenstein at the end and then the worst scene in any star wars movie when he screams "NOOOOOOOO"

I could go on and on.

Yes, Phantom Menace sucks ass, but you can watch it for its unintentional comedic value.  i am able to watch it b/c its just so stupid/laughable 75% of the movie.  but the opening scene and the battle with darth maul are the best scenes in all 3 prequels.

the 2nd one is just god awful.

the effects are good in all 3, but without a story or a reason for good effects they fall flat after you watch them again a few times.  i expect the same thing to happen with transformers.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 11:52:30 AM »

Dart Vader doing his best Frankenstein at the end and then the worst scene in any star wars movie when he screams "NOOOOOOOO"

I agree...I found that to be so incredibly ridiculous.  It totally killed the end of that movie.

The first films succeeded for a simple reason.  They had a cast of largely unknown actors (Alec Guinness the obvious exception), so you could really focus on the story.  After all, I can't imagine that many were lining up to do Star Wars Ep. IV.  But I bet EVERYONE wanted in on I, II, and III.  SOO, instead of casting it like they should have, they took people we're fairly familiar with and used them. 

Natalie Portman was terrible.  Hayden Christiansen has one of those voices that make him sound ridiculously insincere.  His "emotional" scenes were painful. 

I don't know that the plots were all that bad.  A little convoluted, perhaps, but not too bad.  They should have focused a bit more on the rise of the Emperor, rather than the other subplots.  The attempt at foreshadowing at the end of Episode I was laughable, as if no one knew that Palpatine was the future emperor.  "But did we kill Master, or Apprentice?"  Camera pans to Palpatine.  rofl

Also, in Episode I, Anakin was played by a kid with the worst acting skills.  Now, he's a kid, so I don't blame him, but it wasn't good.  And the random pieces of information they threw into the dialog made it sound like an infomercial.  "What are midichloriens?" (Yeah, butched that spelling I'm sure)  Well, I'm glad you asked Anakin, as this gives me a good excuse to explain it to the audience!

There were high points.  I thought Liam Neeson was good, in Episode I.  And Ewan McGregor is good, all around.  Samuel L. Jackson is fine, I guess, but this is a case of what I mean by casting known commodities.  You just keep expecting him to go ape-shit on someone: "These muthafuckin' Sith are really starting to crawl up my ass! (Pulls out a .45 and goes on rampage). 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 12:50:17 PM »

3 was arguably the worst of the 6.? completely boring, terrible dialog, nice eye candy in the action scenes, but most of them seem throw in just for the sake of having an action scene.

wraith shields?
buzz droids?
robots with nerdy/nasally voices?

I could go on and on.

Yes, Phantom Menace sucks ass, but you can watch it for its unintentional comedic value.? i am able to watch it b/c its just so stupid/laughable 75% of the movie.? but the opening scene and the battle with darth maul are the best scenes in all 3 prequels.

the 2nd one is just god awful.

the effects are good in all 3, but without a story or a reason for good effects they fall flat after you watch them again a few times.? i expect the same thing to happen with transformers.

The first episode is a joke of a movie...if you think it's better than Episode 3 because it's stupid, therefore funny, it kinda fucks up your entire argument..

The second is a clear improvment, but it's still far from what Star Wars really means...

The best thing about Ep. 3, that the other 2 don't have, is a real "villan", and noone can fill that role in a SW movie, except The Emperor and Vader, which they did, succesfully.

P.S.  True, that  "NOOOOO !" is the gayest SW scene ever...

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 01:12:02 PM »

I call a fatwa on the infidel!

I love Star Wars ANH and ESB but ROTJ is hopelessly dated and more than a little twee - despertely needs a CGI upgrade

...and explain to me..one more time...how 2 Calamari cruisers, a medical frigate, a corvette and several transports decimate a Super Star Destroyer and atleast 25 Star Destroyers?

I've always said i could die a happy man if someone could explain to me that in a satisfactory way

...and dont say ''other ships were just out of view'' - cos they weren't, we see on multiple occaisions the entire ''fleet''

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 01:18:20 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 01:26:17 PM »

I call a fatwa on the infidel!

Durka durka?

I love Star Wars ANH and ESB but ROTJ is hopelessly dated and more than a little twee - despertely needs a CGI upgrade

It does seem dated.  By far the corniest of the first three, with the Ewoks.

...and explain to me..one more time...how 2 Calamari cruisers, a medical frigate, a corvette and several transports decimate a Super Star Destroyer and atleast 25 Star Destroyers?

I've always said i could die a happy man if someone could explain to me that in a satisfactory way

...and dont say ''other ships were just out of view'' - cos they weren't, we see on multiple occaisions the entire ''fleet''

Simple.  The Empire was going through a midlife crisis, so they were easily distracted by the Corvette.  Because of this distraction they didn't realize that the Calamari had spoiled and they became ill, and the medical frigate denied them treatment because they were out of network and it was deemed a pre-existing condition.  The transports were carrying Michael Moore, who filmed the entire thing for a documentary about health care problems in the Empire, and the combined gravitational pull of the death star and Michael Moore caused the Super Star Destroyer to crash into the death star.     

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: