Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 08:12:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Are VR Sellouts?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are VR Sellouts?  (Read 27203 times)
GeraldFord
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2007, 06:16:41 AM »

Messages is a tad bit overrated with the VR fan base me thinks.

I have to say that I honestly feel it is Slash's most beautiful and moving playing since the Illusion records.

Ali

Ya know, that's the exact reason I'm not a fan of the song musically.

Way too UYI for my taste.

Kind of curious, what about it makes it sound UYI-ish to you? Because I really didn't get that.

The tone,? predictability,? repetativeness.

We must be listening to different versions of UYI!
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2007, 11:09:42 PM »

I am such a  loser.....I read the title of the thread and thought it meant whether VR was selling out their shows!!  rofl Fuck me.

As to the real meaning of the thread: look, the point of  being in the business  is to sell albums and to be  popular  on tour. That  means to make music that people enjoy.There  is no "true" definition of what great  rock is, so every artist makes different music. The album sales  and ticket  sales  reaffirm that what  the band is doing  is "good." Is that  a sell out? No, it just means it hits  with  an audience. "Popular" does not equate to sell out, or then the logic would  be  that every band that was successful (GNR, AFD) was a sellout.

So is VR a sellout? No. Anymore than GNR is for playing the same songs from 20 years  ago. If  it is great  music and people like  it, then it is not a sellout.

As to the other question, is VR selling out their  venues?
slashvr86
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2007, 11:59:13 PM »

i define sell out as a band which is popular for their own merits and style  ie TOOL, GNR.  but try to change their style and experimentation to be more popular ie Metallica (load and reload)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #123 on: July 14, 2007, 12:07:04 AM »

i define sell out as a band which is popular for their own merits and style? ie TOOL, GNR.? but try to change their style and experimentation to be more popular ie Metallica (load and reload)

So u didnt like Axl tryin to be Trent Reznor on "Oh My God?"

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
GeraldFord
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2007, 12:08:41 AM »

i define sell out as a band which is popular for their own merits and style? ie TOOL, GNR.? but try to change their style and experimentation to be more popular ie Metallica (load and reload)

"Oh My God" sounds more like Manson then Reznor.
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2007, 12:33:58 AM »

"Oh My God" sounds more like Manson then Reznor.

My definition of a washed  up band is when they try to start to sound like the original. What made GNR--as well as the Stones, Who, Kinks, Beatles, Nirvana, etc etc--great is that  they had their own original sound. When they came  on the radio you knew who they were instantly because no one else sounded like they did.

GNR needs to keep to an original sound.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: