Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 10:19:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Are VR Sellouts?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are VR Sellouts?  (Read 27273 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2007, 07:06:05 PM »

Eazy u are missing my point

November Rain is DRASTICALLY different than Appetite.

Me and My Friends is Drastically different than BTW

but Messages isnt that much different. On my burnt copy and sounds absolutely perfect following any song on the album.

My bitch with Messages is, Dont give the god damn thing away for nothing.

That song sells albums, that song creates new fans, that song sells concert tickets. That song should be the showcase song an album not some B side extra.

Duff said in an interview where they are comfortable having success but not too much success.

maybe they felt Messages would catapult them too high?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2007, 07:36:25 PM »

Eazy u are missing my point

November Rain is DRASTICALLY different than Appetite.

Me and My Friends is Drastically different than BTW

but Messages isnt that much different. On my burnt copy and sounds absolutely perfect following any song on the album.

That song sells albums, that song creates new fans, that song sells concert tickets. That song should be the showcase song an album not some B side extra.

Duff said in an interview where they are comfortable having success but not too much success.

maybe they felt Messages would catapult them too high?

Duff said he's comfortable with the success they currently have, he didn't say they would be opposed to getting bigger.  I think "Messages" is a great song, but it doesn't have as catchy a chorus as "Last Fight".  So I can understand why the record company wanted that song on there instead of "Messages".  "Gravedancer" has a bit more of hook-y chorus, so maybe that was why they put that on there instead of "Messages".  I'd be willing to be it has as much to do with the label as it does with the band, if not more.

Ali
Jackamo!
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2007, 11:39:33 PM »

Messages is a tad bit overrated with the VR fan base me thinks.

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2007, 11:54:36 PM »

I have to say that I honestly feel it is Slash's most beautiful and moving playing since the Illusion records.

Ali
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2007, 12:03:49 AM »

I have to say that I honestly feel it is Slash's most beautiful and moving playing since the Illusion records.

Ali

Being a new father myself, the line:

tell my son i wish i never yelled at him yesterday,
cause everythings changed

brings a tear to my eye.

Scott hit a bullseye this time and this is the best VR song since YGNR.

American Man is seriously a grower as well. Slash does some great stuff here too.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2007, 12:08:36 AM »

Ali

Ya know, that's the exact reason I'm not a fan of the song musically.

Way too UYI for my taste.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2007, 12:08:47 AM »

Id personally use that description for Elans "Street Child" and "You Got No Right" before "Messages."
Juanjay
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2007, 03:40:33 PM »

In the words of MJK

All you know about me is what I've sold you, dumb fuck. I sold out long before you ever heard my name. I sold my soul to make a record, dip shit and you bought one.

The minute you start getting paid to make music you're a "sell out" it's their job so fucking what if they "sold out". Would you bash a stock trader on Wall Street for trying to get as much out of his/her chosen profession? Probably not.

And the people that are mad because its not GNR-like... news flash they're not GNR.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2007, 05:20:12 PM »

I think the style/mood is different from the rest of Libertad, which is more upbeat and positive.? However, I've tacked Messages and Gas & A Dollar Laugh on to the end of the CD and have no problem listening straight through (but it could be because I consider them "bonus tracks")... I just don't see how you could sandwich a song like Messages between Mary Mary and Just 16...

I agree about giving it away for nothing though, it sucks that this song won't be the highlight of an album.
slashvr86
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2007, 11:01:05 PM »

that writer was a cynical douchebag i love STP
AXL 20
Rocker

Marijuana For President

« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2007, 04:32:35 AM »

Only thing VR are selling is albums.
RE: messages- it's to typical. Its like a poor man's estranged and nobody in that band wants to make a guns n' roses song. Its alright but not stellar

The legendary guitarist said that he does have some contact with Guns n' Roses singer Axl Rose, however.

"I've actually sent him Christmas cards, just to be cordial, but he never returns anything."
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2007, 04:53:32 AM »

I honestly don't think Messages are better than any of the other slower songs on the album. the cover song is even brilliant IMO and I never skip it, more almost look forward to it!
Slash is great on Messages, but he's more brilliant on the cover song and American Man IMO, Messages is a bit repetative lead guitar wise, isn't it? I actually for once feel Slash could have done more with a song!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2007, 08:18:38 AM »

I honestly don't think Messages are better than any of the other slower songs on the album. the cover song is even brilliant IMO and I never skip it, more almost look forward to it!
Slash is great on Messages, but he's more brilliant on the cover song and American Man IMO, Messages is a bit repetative lead guitar wise, isn't it? I actually for once feel Slash could have done more with a song!

nah, the weak part of messages is scott in the second verse and parts of the chrous.   

None of these VR songs hit their possible potential.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2007, 12:59:19 PM »

Messages is a bit repetative lead guitar wise, isn't it?

Very much so, it's definately not my cup of tea musically. 

The only thing that gets me through this song is Weiland.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
GeraldFord
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2007, 01:04:30 PM »

Ali

Kind of curious, what about it makes it sound UYI-ish to you? Because I really didn't get that.
novrain91
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2007, 01:14:37 PM »

W

Ali

I agree, Slash sounds very good on Messages.  I'm not sure if I respond to it because it's really great or that it's just great compared to the other songs on Libertad.  Anyways, Slash's guitar playing in this song is the sound that made him famous, his emotional guitar riffs...which would sell a lot more albums than a bland/lame song like SBQM!!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2007, 01:24:15 PM »

Ali

Kind of curious, what about it makes it sound UYI-ish to you? Because I really didn't get that.

The tone,? predictability,  repetativeness.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 01:55:30 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Gonzo Axl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2007, 02:04:59 PM »

I never noticed that during his STP tenure.? I have him from the early to mid-nineties locked in my mind's eye.? Regardless, it's still stealing Axl's look Smiley

Its likely inspired by Axl, though it might be part Rob Halford as well.

Oh yeah, according to the image URL, that picture is from 2003.

No, the story from which the picture was used was posted in 2003.? And if Im not mistaken, VR only played 2 or 3 shows in 2003 - one at El Rey, in which he wore a button-down shirt and no hat, and one at the Smashbox, in which he wore a suit.

Prove it!

Almost looks like the banner behind him says "Pilots."? ok

That photo was taken at some Gay Pride march. It actually says FAGGOTS in the backround. Jarmo can verify this, he was their. Anyways, no, they didnt sell out. Why is it that whenever a band makes their best album, people accuse them of "Selling Out"
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2007, 03:11:54 PM »

Ali

The tone,? predictability,? repetativeness.

UYI repetitive and predictable? No way! I thought that was one thing you couldn't say about them albums. There are so many different types of songs and so many different parts in the songs.

As for Messages, I see what you mean, but I think it works. Its a simple musical idea for a simple song. It's just a riff. Lots of songs are based around 1 guitar riff. The only part he coulda changed was after the "angels and the demons fight while the others cry" it sounds like the start of a big solo but its sorta the same idea again. Still, its a small complaint.

PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2007, 04:31:45 PM »

Forgive me, but how to I go about hearing this song "Messages"?

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: