Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 10:17:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Are VR Sellouts?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are VR Sellouts?  (Read 27246 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2007, 03:45:31 AM »

Sellout isnt necessarily a bad term.

Everyone sees it as something bad.

But technically if u compromise any part of your vision or art to make money, that is selling out.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2007, 03:49:37 AM »

Somewhere along the line, "pop" became a dirty word. Now I'm not saying VR are pop music, but they employ a pop sensibility to their songwriting, most mainstream rock acts do. I enjoy a lot of pop music, especially 80s glam metal, which is what most of these guys were sort of birthed from, in one way or another. So are they sellouts? No, I don't think they've sold out in that literal sense. I don't think they're commercially minded as much as they are commercially aware.
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2007, 04:06:19 AM »

Most rock journalist are guys who write about it cause they can't do it.

How the fuck can some dude with a pen who cant play shit criticize anybody?

you don't need to play an instrument to be a connoisseur of music. you can still know whats good and bad, ie: what you like and what you dont like.

if you go take your car to a mechanic, and the mechanic does a shit job and your car breaks down a day after you get it back is the mechanic gonna say to you "oh i did a good job, what would you know about being a mechanic you aren't one how can you criticize my work".

its like people that watch sports on from their arm chair. obviously they can't do better but they can point out when somebody fucks up or does good and it can still be a valid opinion.

Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2007, 04:10:32 AM »

i have absolutely no problem with artists "selling out".

music is a business.

you don't make money then you're no good to a record company.

the best you can do as an artist is try and strike a happy medium between your artistic vision and what the record label want to make money.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2007, 05:17:58 AM »

Most rock journalist are guys who write about it cause they can't do it.

How the fuck can some dude with a pen who cant play shit criticize anybody?

you don't need to play an instrument to be a connoisseur of music. you can still know whats good and bad, ie: what you like and what you dont like.

if you go take your car to a mechanic, and the mechanic does a shit job and your car breaks down a day after you get it back is the mechanic gonna say to you "oh i did a good job, what would you know about being a mechanic you aren't one how can you criticize my work".

its like people that watch sports on from their arm chair. obviously they can't do better but they can point out when somebody fucks up or does good and it can still be a valid opinion.

True, I agree with that but I am speaking of malicious journalist who seem to just not like someone so they slam them as much as possible and don't fairly review stuff.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2007, 07:01:52 AM »

sell outs? yes they are exactly what KISS is like, maybe worse Wink

ohh... shut up? Roll Eyes

this girl just don't know what irony is  crying
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2007, 10:03:49 AM »

And who gives a shit if an album flows properlY? What the hell does that mean anyway? what u hav e to have some sort of ratio?

thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Generally this applies when a band is trying to make a complete piece of work with their album, as opposed to recording as many single songs as possible and slapping them all together onto a CD.  Saying you don't understand why the "flow" of an album is important is basically saying you think tracklists are meaningless and songs could be ordered alphabetically for all you care...

I think the dumbest thing I've heard is this idea of "just toss all the completed songs you have on the CD and release it"... Can you imagine if Pink Floyd had an extra track lying around so they forced it onto Dark Side Of The Moon?  Do you think the RHCP should put a song like "Me & My Friends" on By The Way?... Or, like Booker said, should November Rain be included on Appetite?

Messages is a great song, it's just very different in style from the rest of the CD.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2007, 11:21:10 AM »

D!  Since Messages and Psycho killer on Deluxe version, are you happy?  We now have a 16 song Album!  Pretty good to me!

Now we are just missing Gas and a Dollar Laugh and Wasted Hearts, and Motherfucka.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2007, 11:33:13 AM »

D! Since Messages and Psycho killer on Deluxe version, are you happy? We now have a 16 song Album! Pretty good to me!

I think the point was that he wanted the song on the official album and not an extra track on the iTunes version... It has less exposure if a person who picks the album up in the store can't hear it.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2007, 11:47:45 AM »

Messages should be on the album. Only reason its not was because it was used to sell more albums, itunes, etc. Never have like the VR marketing strategy.....but dont blame the band  Undecided ...blame the company or better yet  blame canada

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2007, 12:06:18 PM »

But scott is a poser in my opinion but thats just me

What is he posing as, out of curiosity?

he's posing as some one that thinks he can sing as good as Slash plays Angry

You clearly haven't listened properly. The instrumental music on Libertad is mostly poor (SBQM, Pills, Demons, For A Brother, Spay) but Scott's vocals saves it from being an average album. Most of the most memorable moments come from Scott. Slash is my favourite guitarist and I never liked STP, but Scott is the man on Libertad. Last Fight is the best example - the music is just average, but the chorus line sticks in your head forever and the lyrics are great too. Just Sixteen is my favourite song on the album, but that's all because of Scott's vocals. The music is good but Scott brought it to a new level. I admit there is nothing revolutionary in the vocals/lyrics on this album, but it works perfectly well for the music the other guys wrote.

Remember, Scott was the one who wanted to challenge himself by making a concept album but Duff denied this soon after and then the idea was dropped. So they made a vicious rock n' roll album instead. Duff admitted recently he has nothing to prove, he just wants to make music without expectations. I think Scott has a lot more to prove than the ex-GnR guys, so as not to be outshined by the rest of the band.

It seems a lot of GnR fans can't figure out how ex-members can make a poor record so they blame it on Scott. He done the best he could with poor instrumental material. His vocals are great.

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2007, 12:11:21 PM »

he's posing as some one that thinks he can sing as good as Slash plays Angry

You clearly haven't listened properly. The instrumental music on Libertad is mostly poor (SBQM, Pills, Demons, For A Brother, Spay) but Scott's vocals saves it from being an average album. Most of the most memorable moments come from Scott. Slash is my favourite guitarist and I never liked STP, but Scott is the man on Libertad. Last Fight is the best example - the music is just average, but the chorus line sticks in your head forever and the lyrics are great too. Just Sixteen is my favourite song on the album, but that's all because of Scott's vocals. The music is good but Scott brought it to a new level. I admit there is nothing revolutionary in the vocals/lyrics on this album, but it works perfectly well for the music the other guys wrote.

Remember, Scott was the one who wanted to challenge himself by making a concept album but Duff denied this soon after and then the idea was dropped. So they made a vicious rock n' roll album instead. Duff admitted recently he has nothing to prove, he just wants to make music without expectations. I think Scott has a lot more to prove than the ex-GnR guys, so as not to be outshined by the rest of the band.

It seems a lot of GnR fans can't figure out how ex-members can make a poor record so they blame it on Scott. He done the best he could with poor instrumental material. His vocals are great.

I couldn't disagree more.  I think the band is extremely tight and wrote some great tracks.  Scott's vocals are good on the record, and great on a few tracks like "Get Out The Door", "The Last Fight" and "Gravedancer".

Ali
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2007, 12:14:37 PM »

This Weiland that you talk about - what's his cultural background? German? Just curious.....

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2007, 12:27:50 PM »

http://www.sleazegrinder.com/flashmetalsuicideScottWeiland.htm

The above is only quotes taken from that page as it's too long to post it all.

That's one big long pointless rant. Pity he forgot to review the album he was supposed to review and instead wrote an essay about someone he clearly is bitter about because Scott made it and the writer didn't. Wow, Scott combines his influences and forms it into something new - isn't that what every successful musician/songwriter does? And as for changing trends, do all peope who lived in the 70's still where 70's clothes. Do people in the 80's still where 80's clothes? Dumb article.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 12:32:04 PM by estrangedpaul » Logged

stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2007, 12:31:21 PM »

Yeh, but what are his influences exactly? I'm not talking musical - from what I gather he seems to like the German military uniform look. Is that because his background is German or is he just trying to be provocative?

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2007, 12:36:07 PM »

yea i wuld say they area sell out band.? i've always saw that side of Slash even in his GNR days since the first time I saw him play with Micheal Jackson.

Don't make random statements - back it up. The Michael Jackson comment is dumb - loadsa great artists played with Michael Jackson - Eddie Van Halen for example. How do you know Slash played with Jackson for money, maybe he did it because he wanted to. The music he played with him was great. If I got the chance to play guitar with Michael Jackson, I'd do it too. Money or no money. So give proper examples before calling Slash a sellout. I've never seen you back up comments against VR.

bart123
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2007, 12:36:47 PM »

velvet revolver are not sellouts.please stop coming to this setion making stupid threads.stay in your guns n roses section.i could easily go over to that section and make threads about waiting 15 years for 1 album,axl ruining gnr,axl being a control freak.axl rose is the biggest sellout playing to crowds everynite and not releasing material.living off all the old hits and promising the same album for 15 years.
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2007, 12:51:05 PM »

velvet revolver are not sellouts.please stop coming to this setion making stupid threads.stay in your guns n roses section.i could easily go over to that section and make threads about waiting 15 years for 1 album,axl ruining gnr,axl being a control freak.axl rose is the biggest sellout playing to crowds everynite and not releasing material.living off all the old hits and promising the same album for 15 years.

You should know by now this is a GnR forum - stop trying to provoke people - this is how arguments start and thread gets derailed.

bart123
Banned
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2007, 01:18:56 PM »

You should know by now this is a GnR forum - stop trying to provoke people - this is how arguments start and thread gets derailed.

no he is the 1 tryin to provoke a argument with are vr sellouts,,,they just arent at all.they are a excellent band with two excellent albums out and they treat their fans great.libertad was being streamed a week before its release on the internet.they certainly are not sell outs.if use are allowed start stupid threads trying to make vr look bad at this section then we should be allowed do it in the guns n roses section but no they get banned and i wouldnt do it anyway.certain people on dis bord get a buzz out of tryin to make vr look crap and make gnr look like the greatest thing ever when their certainly not the greatest thing ever and far from it.
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2007, 04:06:07 PM »

are VR sellouts?
to answer this i am gonna use Jason Newstead's words:
Sellout? Yes, every day, everyshow! we allways sell out!

i dunno if that is VR's case.. but still fuckin' funny said by mr. Newstead!

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: