Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 10:18:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Are VR Sellouts?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are VR Sellouts?  (Read 27265 times)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2007, 10:50:06 PM »

I never noticed that during his STP tenure.  I have him from the early to mid-nineties locked in my mind's eye.  Regardless, it's still stealing Axl's look Smiley

Its likely inspired by Axl, though it might be part Rob Halford as well.

Oh yeah, according to the image URL, that picture is from 2003.

No, the story from which the picture was used was posted in 2003.  And if Im not mistaken, VR only played 2 or 3 shows in 2003 - one at El Rey, in which he wore a button-down shirt and no hat, and one at the Smashbox, in which he wore a suit.

Prove it!

Almost looks like the banner behind him says "Pilots."  ok
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2007, 11:03:18 PM »

I never noticed that during his STP tenure.? I have him from the early to mid-nineties locked in my mind's eye.? Regardless, it's still stealing Axl's look Smiley

Its likely inspired by Axl, though it might be part Rob Halford as well.

Oh yeah, according to the image URL, that picture is from 2003.

No, the story from which the picture was used was posted in 2003.? And if Im not mistaken, VR only played 2 or 3 shows in 2003 - one at El Rey, in which he wore a button-down shirt and no hat, and one at the Smashbox, in which he wore a suit.

Prove it!

Almost looks like the banner behind him says "Pilots."? ok

Did they play at all (STP) in 2003?   I didn't realize they did.  My mistake.  In all honesty, it seemed to me like the leather look became more frequent after joining VR.  I was joking about the stealing Axl's look part.

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2007, 11:07:13 PM »

Why Ali?

I like STP better than Nirvana and Pearl Jam

I just don't think their songs are more cohesive than Nirvana or Pearl Jam.? Their songs are cohesive, but not moreso than Nirvana or Pearl Jam. Look at "Teen Spirit", that is such a simple yet catchy song, how is that anything but cohesive?? As far as better, to be honest, my main sticking point with STP, or VR, for that matter, is that I don't get anything significant, on a consistent basis, from Weiland's lyrics.? It's hard for me to get a deep attachment to STP, or much of VR's songs because I just don't get a lot of depth from his words.? For me, no lyrical depth more often than not equals no significant emotional impact from and emotional attachment to the songs.

Ali

I like Nirvana but most of Kurts lyrics are drugged out nonsense. Some songs make sense, "Sappy" (sometimes called verse chorous verse) is great. If you like Nirvana than STP thats fine with me, millions do. But don't say your reason for liking nirvana better is cause scott's lyrics don't make sense when almost non of kurts songs ever did.

Reread what I wrote, man.  I never used the term "making sense".  I used the term "depth" because I never had any significant emotional reaction to STP's songs.  That's not something for you to judge, so don't tell me what my reasons for liking a band should and should not be.

Ali
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2007, 12:19:49 AM »

sell outs? yes they are exactly what KISS is like, maybe worse Wink

ohh... shut up? Roll Eyes

Yeah you tell him Ines. Angry

i did have a post with a quote and a Angry and a rant face but apears to be erased Roll Eyes 

KISS RULES headbanger

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2007, 12:39:06 AM »

ohh... shut up  Roll Eyes

i did have a post with a quote and a Angry and a rant face but apears to be erased Roll Eyes 

KISS RULES headbanger

KISS does in fact rule , but you have to admit thanks to gene they are the BIGGEST sell out band ever. Disco Albums , Condoms , Kiss Koffins hahah!!
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2007, 12:57:31 AM »

Did they play at all (STP) in 2003?   I didn't realize they did. 

Not to my knowledge.  What Im saying is that the website from which I got that picture probably had a story in 2003 that used that picture, which is from 2000-2001.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2007, 01:02:34 AM »

People act like Axl was the first to wear that hat

He wasnt

So...........

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2007, 01:07:45 AM »

ohh... shut up? Roll Eyes

i did have a post with a quote and a Angry and a rant face but apears to be erased Roll Eyes?

KISS RULES headbanger

KISS does in fact rule , but you have to admit thanks to gene they are the BIGGEST sell out band ever. Disco Albums , Condoms , Kiss Koffins hahah!!

Hey man no doubt but Dynasty was a good record. "I was made for lovin' you" is one of there best songs a true classic and that koffin is bad ass. It plays Rock 'n roll all nite" while your going into the hole. I want to be buried in one just like dimebag. and those kondoms are cool rofl in the future when i fuck some one and DON"T want to be a daddy i will ware a KISS Kondom ok

KISS RULES headbanger

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Ali
Legend

« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2007, 01:11:27 AM »

People act like Axl was the first to wear that hat

He wasnt

So...........

I know man, that's why I said I was joking.  Rob Halford is the first I can remember.  Looking back, Halford cited that as a clue he was gay.  I just thought he was really metal Smiley

Ali
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2007, 01:12:53 AM »

ohh... shut up  Roll Eyes

KISS RULES headbanger

Hey man no doubt but Dynasty was a good record. "I was made for lovin' you" is one of there best songs a true classic and that koffin is bad ass. It plays Rock 'n roll all nite" while your going into the hole. I want to be buried in one just like dimebag. and those kondoms are cool rofl in the future when i fuck some one and DON"T want to be a daddy i will ware a KISS Kondom ok

KISS RULES headbanger

I hope that is sarcasm seriously....
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2007, 01:15:45 AM »

Dont even fuck around about Kiss or I'll bitchslap u all with Kiss Info like I do with Bon Jovi info.

If u have never heard Kiss' first album Kiss, Alive, Destroyer, Love Gun, Creatures of The Night or Revenge, U really shouldn't comment on Kiss. ok

RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2007, 01:18:50 AM »

Dont even fuck around about Kiss or I'll bitchslap u all with Kiss Info like I do with Bon Jovi info.

If u have never heard Kiss' first album Kiss, Alive, Destroyer, Love Gun, Creatures of The Night or Revenge, U really shouldn't comment on Kiss. ok

Dude I love kiss as much as the next guy. But they are sell outs , the biggest sell outs in rock n roll. There is a point where merchandising enters selling out , and kiss have crossed it along time ago. But i hold nothing against them great band,  but they are sell outs.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2007, 01:31:29 AM »

Dude

All bands are sell outs in some way or another.

Any band on a major label are sell outs in some sense of the word.

Look at even Nirvana

Kurt supposedly hated being a rock star but did everything to be successful

When he allowed "rape Me" to be changed,  I lost a lot of respect for him.

GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2007, 01:35:51 AM »

YEAAAHH ya God damn right there beer lmao

now leave D alone he's got alot of defending to do over at the VH vs BJ thread Nixon started.

i bet the little smart ass will start a thread doing KISS vs some one else.

and i agree every band is or are selling out in some way shape or form

peace

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2007, 01:38:05 AM »

Dude

All bands are sell outs in some way or another.

Any band on a major label are sell outs in some sense of the word.

Look at even Nirvana

Kurt supposedly hated being a rock star but did everything to be successful

When he allowed "rape Me" to be changed,  I lost a lot of respect for him.

Kurt was a real case , he made no sense. When did he allow rape me to be changed? Any band on a major label is not a sell out , selling out means changing yourself to better suit the current musical climate. A la Metallica , look at GNR , they where 100% bad ass , they got signed to Geffen did they sell out NO. Now had axl dyed his hair bleach blonde , slash started tapping and looked like a carbon copy of most other LA bands at the time THATS selling out. A band on a major label is not a sell out.  How is every band selling out?
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2007, 01:41:07 AM »

every band sells out but its only to what extent.

Like KISS, I have to say it don't hate me D Embarrassed, did it in the worse best and biggest way posible, Nirvana on the other hand not so much but its all to an extent

btw KISS > Nirvy

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2007, 02:32:21 AM »

U make music videos, go to awards shows, change your song to "Waif Me" so Walmart will sell it.

That is selling out. ok

RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2007, 02:35:27 AM »

U make music videos, go to awards shows, change your song to "Waif Me" so Walmart will sell it.

That is selling out. ok

Making videos is selling out? Awards are selling out? Do you understand that music is an INDUSTRY a job people make money of off?
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2007, 02:38:11 AM »

That is selling out. ok

And thats what i meant- selling out to a high extent, however there are many levels Smiley

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2007, 02:44:40 AM »

There are a lot of ways to define a sellout.  To me I mainly consider a sellout a band or a musician who begins to compromise the quality of their work in order to make a few more bucks, sell a few more records

As has been pointed out, everybody wants to make money.  But when musicians start watering down their music and putting out a lower quality of work to make it more "accessible" that's when the term sellout comes into play
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: