Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 10:14:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Are VR Sellouts?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are VR Sellouts?  (Read 27216 times)
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2007, 05:11:07 PM »

the guy who wrote that sounds like some Wanna be Rockstar that never got to be so he is jealous and mad. ok

yeah, Ive read rockers that never made it say the same thing even about Axl. pointless drivel by a bunch of never has beens.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2007, 05:12:16 PM »

Most rock journalist are guys who write about it cause they can't do it.

How the fuck can some dude with a pen who cant play shit criticize anybody?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2007, 05:36:50 PM »

That angry, teething with jealousy article didn't sit well with a lot of people.  Rather quickly there was a rebuttal article posted in answer.

http://www.sleazegrinder.com/sleazyreaderweilandrebuttal.htm

Oh, and the author of this write-up is a lot hotter, subsequently giving her article more integrity  ok
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2007, 05:55:13 PM »

I have to admit that it was strange to see Scott abruptly change his look, specifically with regards to what clothes he was wearing when he joined VR.  There were several pictures where he was wearing this leather hat and these sunglasses that made me think, wow, he looks a lot like Axl in the late '80's.  But, that's just his look, not his voice or music.

That article is way over the top and goes beyond, in its tone, as a mere dislike or lack of appreciation for his music.  It seems like this guy is crossing the line between talking about the artist in anything resembling a fair way and just using Weiland as a target for his anger and frustrations as a result of whatever is pissing him off.

At the same time, I don't agree with what the rebuttal said about STP turning out more cohesive songs than Pearl Jam or Nirvana.

Ali
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2007, 06:11:28 PM »

Why Ali?

I like STP better than Nirvana and Pearl Jam

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2007, 06:12:12 PM »

yea i wuld say they area sell out band.  i've always saw that side of Slash even in his GNR days since the first time I saw him play with Micheal Jackson.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2007, 06:22:52 PM »

Why Ali?

I just don't think their songs are more cohesive than Nirvana or Pearl Jam.  Their songs are cohesive, but not moreso than Nirvana or Pearl Jam. Look at "Teen Spirit", that is such a simple yet catchy song, how is that anything but cohesive?  As far as better, to be honest, my main sticking point with STP, or VR, for that matter, is that I don't get anything significant, on a consistent basis, from Weiland's lyrics.  It's hard for me to get a deep attachment to STP, or much of VR's songs because I just don't get a lot of depth from his words.  For me, no lyrical depth more often than not equals no significant emotional impact from and emotional attachment to the songs.

Ali
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2007, 06:48:52 PM »

yea i wuld say they area sell out band.  i've always saw that side of Slash even in his GNR days since the first time I saw him play with Micheal Jackson.

? So EVH is a sell out too? And anyone that has ever contributed to another artist work? Sell outs change their image for the better of money , to appeal to the masses. We wanna talk sell outs , look at metallica and st.anger. ok
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2007, 07:37:54 PM »

I have to admit that it was strange to see Scott abruptly change his look, specifically with regards to what clothes he was wearing when he joined VR.  There were several pictures where he was wearing this leather hat and these sunglasses that made me think, wow, he looks a lot like Axl in the late '80's.  But, that's just his look, not his voice or music.

While Scott was still in STP (circa 2000).
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2007, 07:44:49 PM »

sell outs? yes they are exactly what KISS is like, maybe worse Wink
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2007, 07:48:21 PM »

sell outs? yes they are exactly what KISS is like, maybe worse Wink

ohh... shut up  Roll Eyes

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Gonzo Axl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2007, 08:16:10 PM »

NO  ok
Ali
Legend

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2007, 08:41:41 PM »

I have to admit that it was strange to see Scott abruptly change his look, specifically with regards to what clothes he was wearing when he joined VR.? There were several pictures where he was wearing this leather hat and these sunglasses that made me think, wow, he looks a lot like Axl in the late '80's.? But, that's just his look, not his voice or music.

I never noticed that during his STP tenure.  I have him from the early to mid-nineties locked in my mind's eye.  Regardless, it's still stealing Axl's look Smiley

Oh yeah, according to the image URL, that picture is from 2003.

Plus, I went to STP's original site, and I couldn't find any pictures of Weiland wearing that hat, although granted some of them were blurry fan shots.  It genuinely appears that the leather look became much more pronounced after joining VR.  I didn't say that makes him sellout.  I just thought it was a bit strange.

Ali
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »

Prove it! http://www.stonetemplepilots.com/photogallery_fan.html thats the STP official site, not 1 picture on there has him doing the leather and cop hat look. Not 1 picture, including the pictures from 2000.
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2007, 09:17:39 PM »

Prove it! http://www.stonetemplepilots.com/photogallery_fan.html thats the STP official site, not 1 picture on there has him doing the leather and cop hat look. Not 1 picture, including the pictures from 2000.

Seen a couple of boots were he was rocking the look from back with STP.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2007, 10:11:57 PM »

ha!? The Bon Jovi thing is kind of funny.? ?I mean my next 2 favorite bands after GNR and VR are AC/DC and the Rolling Stones.? Though I love some Bon Jovi songs, they are in a totally different area of rock.? ?beer? But it's cool.? Rock on D, no matter who you like.
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2007, 10:14:22 PM »

Why Ali?

I just don't think their songs are more cohesive than Nirvana or Pearl Jam.? Their songs are cohesive, but not moreso than Nirvana or Pearl Jam. Look at "Teen Spirit", that is such a simple yet catchy song, how is that anything but cohesive?? As far as better, to be honest, my main sticking point with STP, or VR, for that matter, is that I don't get anything significant, on a consistent basis, from Weiland's lyrics.? It's hard for me to get a deep attachment to STP, or much of VR's songs because I just don't get a lot of depth from his words.? For me, no lyrical depth more often than not equals no significant emotional impact from and emotional attachment to the songs.

Ali

I like Nirvana but most of Kurts lyrics are drugged out nonsense. Some songs make sense, "Sappy" (sometimes called verse chorous verse) is great. If you like Nirvana than STP thats fine with me, millions do. But don't say your reason for liking nirvana better is cause scott's lyrics don't make sense when almost non of kurts songs ever did.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2007, 10:19:59 PM »

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 10:24:06 PM by chinese democrazy » Logged
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2007, 10:38:40 PM »

Why Ali?

I just don't think their songs are more cohesive than Nirvana or Pearl Jam.? Their songs are cohesive, but not moreso than Nirvana or Pearl Jam. Look at "Teen Spirit", that is such a simple yet catchy song, how is that anything but cohesive?? As far as better, to be honest, my main sticking point with STP, or VR, for that matter, is that I don't get anything significant, on a consistent basis, from Weiland's lyrics.? It's hard for me to get a deep attachment to STP, or much of VR's songs because I just don't get a lot of depth from his words.? For me, no lyrical depth more often than not equals no significant emotional impact from and emotional attachment to the songs.

Ali

I like Nirvana but most of Kurts lyrics are drugged out nonsense. Some songs make sense, "Sappy" (sometimes called verse chorous verse) is great. If you like Nirvana than STP thats fine with me, millions do. But don't say your reason for liking nirvana better is cause scott's lyrics don't make sense when almost non of kurts songs ever did.

Let's not go down this road.

Thanks,
Falcon

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Gonzo Axl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2007, 10:46:23 PM »

Photoshopped

rofl hihi   JUST KIDDING   beer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: