Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 10:47:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228113 Posts in 43260 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  The Official NHL 2007/2008 Thread
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Official NHL 2007/2008 Thread  (Read 92356 times)
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #320 on: May 05, 2008, 02:47:44 PM »

Ok, time for me to shut up now

I can honestly say, that after this series - the better team won.

Plus, I think they will knock Philly out in 5 or 6 games
sandman
Legend

« Reply #321 on: May 05, 2008, 05:33:44 PM »

I think it's weird that it's always reported as a sure fact that the Pens tanked the last game of the season on purpose. The game ended 2-0 with the last goal scored a little less than a minute left in the game (can't remember if it was an empty netter). The shots were 22-20 to Philadelphia's (who was the home team) favor. I really didn't see it as such a bad result. Or were the Flyers trying to lose the game as well?

I know that some of the Penguins don't really like playing the Flyers, so I'm not counting it out that they lost on purpose. But the ones whining about it back then seemed to be Philly fans and their coach. So was their coach crying about how they were the ones who wanted to lose the game?

I agree with sandman. The series should be great, and all pressure will be on the Penguins. And I'm sure Sid and Malkin will be targeted. Sid for the way he plays and Malkin for the comments he's made about playing against Philadelphia.

What Philadelphia has done this season has been amazing, but I'm hoping this will be the end of it.

check your box score and let me know how many shots crosby had on goal in that final game of the season.  hihi

but i agree....i don't think they totally tanked it, but winning was not a priority for them. i believe that was their own words. but coaches and players in the league believe they tanked it.

one of the flyers-pens games back in november was filled with fights. these two teams hate each other.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #322 on: May 05, 2008, 05:54:54 PM »

Tanking games and playing out the string of "meaningless" games are 2 different things.  I don't know the specifics, but if that game meant nothing as far as playoff seeding to the Pens, then I wouldn't see that as a big deal.  Lots of teams rest guys down the stretch to be rested for the playoffs.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #323 on: May 06, 2008, 02:35:25 AM »

Ok, time for me to shut up now

I can honestly say, that after this series - the better team won.

Plus, I think they will knock Philly out in 5 or 6 games

I think you're right but man i'm hoping you are wrong. I want the flyers to beat the snot out of that crybaby.
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #324 on: May 06, 2008, 05:10:38 AM »

Tanking games and playing out the string of "meaningless" games are 2 different things.  I don't know the specifics, but if that game meant nothing as far as playoff seeding to the Pens, then I wouldn't see that as a big deal.  Lots of teams rest guys down the stretch to be rested for the playoffs.

Well, it wasn't meaningless in the sense that had the Penguins won that game they would've won the eastern conference and would've faced the Flyers already in the first round. Instead they rested Crosby who'd just come out from an injury and ended up second. It was meaningless in the sense that now they'll face the Flyers anyway. The only difference is that now the Flyers were allowed to play two more rounds of playoff hockey.. Wink

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #325 on: May 06, 2008, 06:53:44 AM »

So what's everyone's picks for the conference finals? Here's mine

Detroit d. Dallas in 7. I would love to see Dallas win this but i think Detroit is just too good too well balanced of a team

Philadelphia d. Pittsburgh in 6. I honestly think this one could go either way but i'm picking philly cause my pride won't let me pick the pens.  hihi

Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #326 on: May 06, 2008, 07:36:43 AM »

Detroit d Dallas in 5.  Detroit's been just amazing ever since Osgood took over, and I don't see Dallas winning more than 2. Propably one.
Pittsburgh d Philadelphia in 5. Here's to hoping...  beer

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #327 on: May 06, 2008, 09:36:50 AM »

Flyers in 7.

Detroit in 6.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #328 on: May 06, 2008, 10:15:49 AM »

Penguins in 6.

Stars in 6.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #329 on: May 06, 2008, 06:05:05 PM »

Penguins in 5

Wings in 6

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #330 on: May 06, 2008, 10:50:27 PM »

Pens in 6

Wings in 5
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #331 on: May 06, 2008, 11:52:16 PM »

Wow only one of us picking the stars. I know i didn't pick them either but i really hope i'm wrong with my pick. If i can't have my rangers in the finals i'll take the next best thing my local team.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #332 on: May 07, 2008, 08:57:55 AM »

Dallas and Detroit is going to be an incredible series beer

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #333 on: May 07, 2008, 03:58:04 PM »

Pens in 7
Stars in 6

MAPLE LEAFS FIRE HEAD COACH PAUL MAURICE
When Cliff Fletcher took over the GM responsibilities from John Ferguson Jr., he promised there would be changes to the organization. Those changes began today.

The Toronto Maple Leafs have fired coach Paul Maurice.

"My objective is to create the best environment possible for the next Leafs general manager to bring in his own staff and to create a new culture around the team," Fletcher said in a statement.

"Since the season ended we've spent considerable time evaluating our organization and how best to move it forward. Paul has been in a difficult position for several months. Making this decision now also provides the best opportunity for Paul to pursue all options potentially open to him."

The move didn't come as a surprise to Maurice, who sensed that his job could be in jeopardy after after another disappointing season that saw the Maple Leafs miss the playoffs for the second straight season.

"You know the way the season ended up and the changes that are going to take place on the team," Maurice told The Canadian Press from his Toronto home. "So I was very aware that it was a possibility.

"I can't say that I was surprised."

Maurice had one year remaining on his original three-year contract.

"You don't take it nearly as personally I don't think," said Maurice. "It's always a very difficult thing because it's a competition every day and when you lose that competition it's difficult. The fact of the matter is, the first time is more difficult."

Maurice spoke to NHL Insider Darren Dreger Wednesday morning and said that he was thankful that the Maple Leafs let him go now, rather than three months from now, making things easier for his family and allowing him to jump back in the NHL as a head coach.

As for the timing of the announcement, Dreger noted that there are two schools of thought circulating.

"One might be, whether a manager has been hired and he doesn't want the bloodletting," Dreger said.  "Or two, it's Cliff Fletcher holding onto the position moving into next year."

Fletcher had previously been non-committal about Maurice's future with the club, saying only that Maurice's fate would be decided by the incoming GM.

"There will be discussions, but you can be sure of one thing," Fletcher told the Canadian Press. "The person coming in is going to be a strong hockey person and he's going to have very definite opinions of his own."

But during the press conference Wednesday at the Air Canada Centre, Flether stressed the importance of providing the new GM and the organization with a fresh start.

"This is a start of a new era for the Maple Leafs," said Fletcher. "This is all part and parcel of that."

"The team missed the playoffs the last two years. A new regime is coming in place and I think when you bring in a new regime they bring their own people. It's just common sense."

The Leafs also shook up the rest of the coaching staff. Assistant coach Randy Ladouceur has been let go, while assistant coach Dallas Eakins has been offered a non-coaching position elsewhere in the organization. Keith Acton will remain as an assistant coach.

Maurice, 41, originally joined the Maple Leafs orginization June 24, 2005 as head coach of Toronto's AHL affiliate the Toronto Marlies. He was promoted to the Maple Leafs on May 12, 2006 following Pat Quinn's dismissal.

In two seasons with Toronto, Maurice compiled a 76-66-22 record. The Leafs have now missed the playoffs for three straight years, something that hasn't happened since 1928.

Before joining the Leafs, Maurice, a native of Sault Ste. Marie, spent eight seasons with the Harford Whalers/Carolina Hurricanes franchise. His best season came in 2001-2002 when he took the Hurricanes to Stanley Cup Finals, defeating the Maple Leafs along the way.

Maurice is expected to address the media Thursday at 10:30am et/7:30am pt.

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
sandman
Legend

« Reply #334 on: May 08, 2008, 08:07:35 AM »

the upsets are over. the two best teams will meet in the finals.

Pens in 6
Wings in 6

sandman
Legend

« Reply #335 on: May 09, 2008, 10:49:32 AM »

Timonen is out for the flyers. that is a devastating loss. he's their best D, has been one of their best players in the playoffs, and was arguably the most important player heading into this series.

philly, and especially the flyers, are snake-bitten. the same thing happened in 2004 when Rico went down with an injury and we lost in the conference finals to TB in 7 games.

then there was lindros in 2001, premieau in 2005, gagne this year. it's just unreal. 

i was predicting the pens, but really thought the flyers had a good shot at pulling the upset. now, there is very little chance of that happening. 

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #336 on: May 09, 2008, 11:03:20 AM »

Flyers in 7.

Detroit in 6.

Given the injury to Timonen....I think my pick isn't looking so good right now.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #337 on: May 12, 2008, 07:31:17 PM »

Flyers in 7.

Detroit in 6.

Given the injury to Timonen....I think my pick isn't looking so good right now.

I tend to agree.  We'll have to see if the tide turns in Philly tomorrow night...
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #338 on: May 12, 2008, 08:55:43 PM »

Sharks fire Wilson following second-round exit from playoffs
Associated Press

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- The San Jose Sharks fired coach Ron Wilson on Monday after the team's latest disappointing early ouster from the Stanley Cup playoffs.
   Ron Wilson
Ron Wilson went 206-134-45 in 385 games with San Jose.

Wilson, hired by the club in December 2002, is the Sharks' leader in wins and winning percentage, but San Jose only advanced past the second round of the postseason once with him behind the bench.

The Sharks were the No. 2 seed in this year's Western Conference playoffs, but were eliminated in the second round by the Dallas Stars after falling into a 3-0 hole. In four-plus seasons, Wilson -- the sixth coach in team history -- went 206-134-45 in 385 games.

San Jose earned two Pacific Division titles, including this season when the Sharks went 49-23-10, under Wilson and reached the Western Conference finals in 2004 before falling to upstart Calgary.

In four-plus seasons, Wilson -- the sixth coach in team history -- went 206-134-45 in 385 regular-season games.

"Ron helped foster a new era in San Jose Sharks hockey with some record-setting, regular-season performances," general manager Doug Wilson said in a statement. "However, ultimately we have decided that it is time for a different voice and a different approach to lead this team.

"We are proud of what we've accomplished as an organization, but we feel that this team is capable of achieving greater success."

Wilson is the franchise leader in postseason games, posting a 28-24 mark in 52 games. In addition to the appearance in the conference finals, Wilson also led the Sharks to the second round in his final three seasons as coach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3392749
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #339 on: May 13, 2008, 09:46:36 PM »

I know we're still in the third period here, but the writing's on the wall.  Flyers = done.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: